Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:49:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your diversification strategies?  (Read 2119 times)
hyperbolas

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 08:08:35 AM

It used to be that the way one diversified their wealth was to break it into three main parts:
1. Cash
2. Gold
3. Artwork

Along those lines, I've taken to the 21st century version:
1. Bitcoin (of course.)
2. Gold (still strong!)
3. Magic Cards (games are this generation's art.)

That's just me though.  How are you all diversifying YOUR holdings?

For the Magic Cards, it is best to keep sealed booster boxes =)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 10:06:43 AM

I have spent thousands of hours reviewing real estate investments and my advice is this:

Buy something that is already built and providing a significant and sustainable rental stream that will still be standing in 50 years and people will still want to live in in 50 years.  Try to buy something that returns more than it costs to hold (cash flow positive) in a stable or sustainably growing area. Big diverse cities with a future not little towns with one industry.  Only buy properties you control yourself no forced rental pooling and no short stay tenants.  Don't furnish the property you only encourage turnover of tenants.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 11:07:12 AM

I have spent thousands of hours reviewing real estate investments and my advice is this:

Buy something that is already built and providing a significant and sustainable rental stream that will still be standing in 50 years and people will still want to live in in 50 years.  Try to buy something that returns more than it costs to hold (cash flow positive) in a stable or sustainably growing area. Big diverse cities with a future not little towns with one industry.  Only buy properties you control yourself no forced rental pooling and no short stay tenants.  Don't furnish the property you only encourage turnover of tenants.

My mate bought a house for rental return. Seemed fine on paper. Went travelling the world to receive the news the tenants had completely wrecked the place. Destroyed the value. Can't imagine anything more stressful than renting out your own property. I'd be spying on the tenants 24/7 Wink
Cubic Earth
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1018

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 11:35:01 AM

My mate bought a house for rental return. Seemed fine on paper. Went travelling the world to receive the news the tenants had completely wrecked the place. Destroyed the value. Can't imagine anything more stressful than renting out your own property. I'd be spying on the tenants 24/7 Wink

One of the pieces of land I own has no 'improvements' of any sort.  In fact, it is 6 miles from the nearest road.  The taxes are approximately 0.1% of what I know the market value to be, and as of now, it does not produce any income stream.  The nice thing about it is I don't have to do any maintenance, as there is just nothing to maintain.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:49:07 PM

One of the pieces of land I own has no 'improvements' of any sort.  In fact, it is 6 miles from the nearest road.  The taxes are approximately 0.1% of what I know the market value to be, and as of now, it does not produce any income stream.  The nice thing about it is I don't have to do any maintenance, as there is just nothing to maintain.

So is it increasing in value? Any ROI? If so, great. Otherwise .... its not really an investment - might as well stick the cash under the bed Smiley
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 05:19:02 PM

So is it increasing in value? Any ROI? If so, great. Otherwise .... its not really an investment - might as well stick the cash under the bed Smiley

Well their are two types of investing in real estate, one if providing a current ROI, like a condo, apartment complex, etc, an income stream.  The other is raw land that doesn't provide an income stream but is increasing in value because of location, land values, etc.  It's not much different than holding a bond vs. Bitcoin.  What is Bitcoin's ROI?  It varies, just like raw land can and does, although genereally not as volatile.  A bond provides an annual ROI, in form of interest.
_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 659

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 08:47:47 PM

So many ways to invest in R.E. and just as many different reasons to. Some want cash flows, are concerned with capitalization rates, expectation for appreciation, actual use or simply want to own a slice of earth.
It's not a liquid asset but certainly an easy one for the average citizen to leverage (though we've seen how badly that can turn out).
Some decide to invest with real estate investment trusts (R.E.I.T.S). I'm not too fond of that method it reminds me of buying gold that someone else holds "for you".
Being a "landlord" is not for the faint of heart. Sometimes you have tenants who treat the place like home and sometimes you have people who do more damage than any deposit or "profit" from rent (if they paid and it didn't cost you a bundle to evict) could hope to cover.
You have to deal with brokers who work on commission so what they are selling you, could be better for them...not you. It's a concern for any investment you're making, with even the most "reputable" of firms.
You're not always being advised, sometimes you're being sold.
Find assets you know something about: the O.P. knows the value of those cards, how to preserve them, where to get the value out of them, I wouldn't even venture it.
Learn at  least enough about the things you invest in to have the ability to chose advisors well.
Maddoff's investors trusted him to know and 'should' have been able to...but couldn't.

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
Enkel

Activity: 122
Merit: 20

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:39:51 PM

I'm still selling part interest in gas lease royalties. The original thread it here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=392843

Anyone who is willing to fill out US tax information is eligible to purchase. After completion of purchase, owners deal directly with Chesapeake. Here is their owners information site: http://www.chk.com/owners/Pages/Default.aspx

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 04:04:54 AM

Well their are two types of investing in real estate, one if providing a current ROI, like a condo, apartment complex, etc, an income stream.  The other is raw land that doesn't provide an income stream but is increasing in value because of location, land values, etc.  It's not much different than holding a bond vs. Bitcoin.  What is Bitcoin's ROI?  It varies, just like raw land can and does, although genereally not as volatile.  A bond provides an annual ROI, in form of interest.

Yeah I understand that, but the guy didn't say whether the land value was increasing or not ... not all land increases in value - location, location, location Smiley
cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:05:50 AM

Im short on the market and gold/silver is just like an emergency holding

But real estate and high end art are my choices besides Bitcoin and Litecoin
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:22:42 AM

Im short on the market and gold/silver is just like an emergency holding

But real estate and high end art are my choices besides Bitcoin and Litecoin

"High end art" is great if you've got millions of dollars lying around ... not sure how many people on this forum qualify ... probably quite a few actually Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: