Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:19:00 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Social Experiment  (Read 11989 times)
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 02:24:09 AM

Ok i just sent a bit.
Now fess up the experiment.
Is it just to part people with their BTC?

Hello

I am looking for participants in a rather unique study I am undertaking, a social experiment if you will. I plan to keep track of this endeavor online, in this thread actually, and invite participants and others to follow along.

Due to the nature of this experiment, I need to keep the details secure for the time being, but will reveal more as the experiment progresses. For now, I need to solicit donations from the community. Don’t worry as what I require is fairly small.

I need to secure a total of $1.00 in present day value of bitcoin, which currently (17 January 2014) is trading at $790 on BTC-e and $885 on Mt. Gox, thus we will call it ~ $850.

Based upon this rough average, I need to ask for donations to equal 0.00117647 bitcoin. More is ok, but I would like to have multiple participants contribute toward the minimum donation, meaning each donation should be less than the required amount.

I have created a new dedicated wallet for this project and will use this same address throughout the project so that everyone can view the transactions on the block chain.

So anyone who is interested, please donate some BTC dust to: 1FxQJWfQm1g6eQjDj7KwCp4ovZ1o1QMhjk

Unfortunately, that is all I can reveal for now but rest assured more is to come.

Thank you for taking time to read this and for your consideration.

Best Regards,
Starman22

Donations so far: https://blockchain.info/address/1FxQJWfQm1g6eQjDj7KwCp4ovZ1o1QMhjk

Enkel

Activity: 122
Merit: 20

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 02:38:15 AM

I expressed repeated (positive) interest in the experiment (post #42 and #47).

Someone wanted the thread closed and deleted. I didn't think that was fair to the donors and I expressed that (post #44)

It would have dropped at that point... Except that the OP started posting in a defensive/snarky manner about how OP could actually just disappear with the funds and (in my mind worse) denigrating valid posters to this thread. That, in my opinion, was unprofessional and I voiced a defense of the community (post #49). If you look at my posts, I have not tried to derail OP's experiment, rather, I've tried to counter OP's statements like in post #48:

This requirement of a donation is a key part of the experiment and is already yielding good results more so in the form of people so jaded and blinded by skepticism that they cannot bear to watch anyone even part with a few cents. I might just need to run another experiment on that aspect of human nature alone.

But, OP seems to be up to 7 donors at 0.00689843 BTC / $5.80-ish  ( https://blockchain.info/address/1FxQJWfQm1g6eQjDj7KwCp4ovZ1o1QMhjk ).  So either way, the experiment should be able to go forward when OP decides they have banked enough BTC users. So, I'll just watch this thread because, as OP has posted in post #32 of this thread:

I will say that great care will be taken to execute the phases in an appropriate manner, and I fully expect much will be able to be written about the results once this has completed. Some concepts will be drawn from past social experiments and some will be new. It is too early to give out more detail until I have more active participants. Everyone else is free to comment and follow along in this thread, so do not feel you will be left out of much by not donating.

So, to comply with the request of ledmaniak - a donor (post #62), I will just monitor from now on until the publication of this ground breaking information. But, honestly, for all we know, my dropping out of the conversation is also 'breaking the experiment', but such is life.
Starman22 (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 02:40:26 AM

Ok i just sent a bit.

Confirmed and thanks for joining!

I know the excitement and anticipation is unbearable. I do want to try and get a few more people on-board though, so I will wait a while longer to give others the chance to jump in.

As indicated previously, I think a nice number would be 10 participants. The experiment will go on now that the minimal requirement has been filled, but keep in mind that this is the minimum amount assuming no one else joins and not the optimal number that I think will make this work.

ledmaniak

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 02:47:31 AM

So, to comply with the request of ledmaniak - a donor (post #62), I will just monitor from now on until the publication of this ground breaking information. But, honestly, for all we know, my dropping out of the conversation is also 'breaking the experiment', but such is life.
I didn't meant to be rude, sorry if interpreted that way. But that is really what is happening everywhere in the internet: people interpret messages most of the time different as there is no real social interaction.

Bitcoin: 1Cxi8BLvScSm1mW6kjb5MNeJZPrvAiYL6B
Litecoin: LLmjtrrq1ZeD51NSUJ8VanuQduW8Ma3jrs
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:08:02 AM

It is funny I like social experiments.
This does seem like an MTurk type as well.  I know another poster said that as well.
I hope this will be something fun and interesting that is why I donated $1 to the cause.
Believe me as well, I do not have much BTC and even less cash.  If I was not so embarrassed I would actually ask for BTC donations for myself as I am disabled from an accident 1 1/2 yrs ago and really want to keep building in BTC.  I talked about what happened in another thread on here so I will not do so here.
So please do not be a scammer and hopefully this is enjoyable as every penny of my money means quite a bit to me.
Thanks

Ok i just sent a bit.

Confirmed and thanks for joining!

I know the excitement and anticipation is unbearable. I do want to try and get a few more people on-board though, so I will wait a while longer to give others the chance to jump in.

As indicated previously, I think a nice number would be 10 participants. The experiment will go on now that the minimal requirement has been filled, but keep in mind that this is the minimum amount assuming no one else joins and not the optimal number that I think will make this work.

Starman22 (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:11:56 AM

But, OP seems to be up to 7 donors at 0.00689843 BTC / $5.80-ish  ( https://blockchain.info/address/1FxQJWfQm1g6eQjDj7KwCp4ovZ1o1QMhjk ).  So either way, the experiment should be able to go forward when OP decides they have banked enough BTC users.

Actually 6 donors and two dust transactions from other sources, as mentioned earlier. Just want to keep the number of active participants straight.

I will just monitor from now on until the publication of this ground breaking information.

I wouldn't quite go that far... Smiley

But, honestly, for all we know, my dropping out of the conversation is also 'breaking the experiment', but such is life.

Hard to determine at this point, but it will be more based upon the so called "active participants" or those who have a vested interest via their donations.

Everyone is free to comment, but it would be nice to keep it on track and not just turn into a bunch of people yelling scam, scam, scam. Thus I too apologize if anything I said came across as snarky or demeaning.
8fold

Activity: 391

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:00:05 AM

Just contributed. How many more donors are needed?

Bitrated user: 8fold.
Z1#

Activity: 22

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 10:31:58 AM

WOW Starman22 you just sucked in another senior member  Shocked
Hey, more power to ya.  If I ever need someone to sell something for me, I know who to call. Grin
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 10:37:27 AM

I forgot to mention that I sent some earlier. I did not know we were supposed to post in here about it.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Starman22 (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 05:11:25 PM

I forgot to mention that I sent some earlier. I did not know we were supposed to post in here about it.

Ok, thanks for joining!

Can you each PM me your sent from addresses so I can match up who is who?

Thanks!
chaoticbrain

Activity: 40

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 05:26:23 PM

I'll be sending money.
Starman22 (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 06:37:25 PM

Ok, looks like we are nearing completion. I need the last few participants that have sent deposits to PM me the details, as of right now I have more people than deposits.

Once this is straightened out I will post a bit more information before beginning.

There is still time to jump in, 10 total participants would be a nice amount, could possibly go up to 12, but after that I will be closing the sign-ups.
ManeBjorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 08:01:28 PM

I actually have a swamp out back behind my house I should see if he could sell it for some BTC for me.  LOL

WOW Starman22 you just sucked in another senior member  Shocked
Hey, more power to ya.  If I ever need someone to sell something for me, I know who to call. Grin

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 08:25:25 PM

Wrong place for a social experiment Grin

The bitcoin community is the most special part of a social in the world, any conclusion get from a social experiment done here will most possibly not apply in the real world  Cheesy

_Miracle

Activity: 907
Merit: 660

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 08:56:50 PM

The bitcoin community is the most special part of a social in the world, any conclusion get from a social experiment done here will most possibly not apply in the real world  Cheesy

I think Starman22 is counting on that, it's why I'm interested.

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 09:23:39 PM

I've got a few free dust amts to send from the likes of cex.io referrals...so no harm no foul for me.  He's legit - no one wastes this much time for so little gain...he could've made out better with scamming ebay at this point over wasting time here.

Here's my contribution

https://blockchain.info/tx/0b688e09b21d5e92c2eb94e6dc0238f57e9a135a3fdac6016f27c2cc00de60f6

frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 09:27:46 PM

The bitcoin community is the most special part of a social in the world, any conclusion get from a social experiment done here will most possibly not apply in the real world  Cheesy

Like your signature - any miner knows - there is more FUD than truth in this place however.

ledmaniak

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:30:35 PM

Looks like starman22 has 700% more donations than requested. Tongue

Bitcoin: 1Cxi8BLvScSm1mW6kjb5MNeJZPrvAiYL6B
Litecoin: LLmjtrrq1ZeD51NSUJ8VanuQduW8Ma3jrs
_Miracle

Activity: 907
Merit: 660

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 11:10:05 PM

Like your signature - any miner knows - there is more FUD than truth in this place however.

I used to be a real estate broker, in California. I diligently studied the market reports put out by my associations (like The National and California REALTOR associations) and mistook them for facts ;-) I began to participate in Zillow forums in 2007 (now almost as nauseating to me as Trulia)  and learned where to find real information from there (also a Patrick.net fan). You can find just as much information here in this forum about the state of bitcoin as any media outlet, with both you have to gleen your "truths"

Smiley

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
markjamrobin

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 11:23:51 PM

Hmm, maybe the experiment was to see how long till donors get pissed off? Tongue

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: