Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:15:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin.org Redesign (mockups inside)  (Read 17040 times)
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 04:36:13 AM

However you're probably not trying to be elitist about it at all and just confusing minimalistic design with lack of forethought on design. The drupal theme is indeed minimalistic, and with some corrections, could be called plain as well

Derp. I'm a pro designer + cg artist. I'm not confusing anything. Get off yer high horse.

I know plenty about design.

We don't need tons of glamour. That just makes Bitcoin look like a scammy company with something to hide. Bitcoin is what it is.

I say go for that plain and simple design IMO.

We are trying to emphasise a few simple points when describing Bitcoin and why it's better. The design should reflect that.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Thndr

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 08:33:46 AM
Last edit: March 19, 2011, 08:48:24 AM by Thndr

However you're probably not trying to be elitist about it at all and just confusing minimalistic design with lack of forethought on design. The drupal theme is indeed minimalistic, and with some corrections, could be called plain as well

Derp. I'm a pro designer + cg artist. I'm not confusing anything. Get off yer high horse.
You're really coming off as an ass, when I was just giving friendly advice. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you were not being smug, but you're kinda making it hard.

Honestly it looks to me like you're trying to claim that while keep linking the design as an image. If there was changes to the image, you should detail what they are.
You should also use something that's not 600px wide, as no one uses a 800x600 monitor anymore and anything done in that space wouldn't be indicative of what it would actually look like. 

You should provide a better response than "Lol open source == 'plain and minimalistic'" and "Corporations = evil ; Corporations use fancy design ; thus fancy design = evil".

I've already gave my input, and the reasons behind it. You haven't done anything to make me concede to your point. I also would like to request if you can't respond to this post in a non-flammatory way, just to ignore it. We don't need to spam up the thread with borderline (or completely) flaming posts.

◈◈   SOCIALMEDIA.MARKET   ◈◈   BLOCKCHAIN BASED Influencer Marketing Platform
ANN Thread   WhitePaper   Facebook   Telegram   Twitter
▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰   TOKEN SALE : 09 February - 16 March   ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰
partyp

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2011, 05:16:56 PM

Here is my design with not so bright blue... I also made the menu slightly larger and gave it a drop shadow. Therefore, the menu and the main content are a little closer and it cut down on the negative space a little. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1791401/bitcoin-layout2.png

I've also attached a new design where the menu is attached to the main content. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1791401/bitcoin-layout3.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1791401/bitcoin-layout2.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1791401/bitcoin-layout3.png

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 05:18:44 PM

I would still get rid of the blue.

Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 05:28:34 PM

I think partyp's latest design is the best in this thread so far.  I'm ambivalent about the blue border.  genjix, I understand your sentiment, but I think the majority of the world's population associate a polished look with quality, rightly or wrongly.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Thndr

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 05:29:43 PM

I agree. If you're keen on trying it with the pixelated backdrop, try a light gray that meshes with the scheme, but it might be best if it was removed entirely if it can't be worked with.

Personally I like the first one with the title bar then the content below, but that could just be in comparison to the quick way you implemented the tabbed styling on the second one.

◈◈   SOCIALMEDIA.MARKET   ◈◈   BLOCKCHAIN BASED Influencer Marketing Platform
ANN Thread   WhitePaper   Facebook   Telegram   Twitter
▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰   TOKEN SALE : 09 February - 16 March   ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12865

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 05:30:04 PM

Here is my design with not so bright blue... I also made the menu slightly larger and gave it a drop shadow. Therefore, the menu and the main content are a little closer and it cut down on the negative space a little. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1791401/bitcoin-layout2.png

I've also attached a new design where the menu is attached to the main content.

That one (the first one) is my favorite so far. I like the blue. From the image, it seems to be too wide, though. Does it work without horizontal scrolling with 1024x768?

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
partyp

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2011, 05:40:26 PM

I agree. If you're keen on trying it with the pixelated backdrop, try a light gray that meshes with the scheme, but it might be best if it was removed entirely if it can't be worked with.

Yeah the main idea for the pixelation block stuff was for the idea of bitcoiners trying to find blocks, and also to maintain something from the original design Smiley

I will try graying out the blocks later... I have to head out to run some errands.

Quote from: theymos
Does it work without horizontal scrolling with 1024x768?

Yes, It appears wider because I wanted to show what it would look like on slightly larger screens.
The container width on the site will be 960px which fits nicely in 1024 width.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2011, 05:56:21 PM

I don't want to hijack the design discussion...

... but I would like to open up discussion of content.  I'd like to see the bitcoin.org home page to be less about bitcoin-the-software and more about bitcoin-the-currency.

You don't have to download and run any software to run bitcoin, and I think most non-technies are better off using an online wallet service rather than running bitcoin.exe.  So I'd like to see the DOWNLOAD/HOWTO sections moved to a separate page, and have the home page have links to there and to a Wiki page that lists the online wallet services (and starts with a little discussion of the tradeoffs of using an online wallet provider instead of running bitcoin yourself).

I'd be perfectly happy if the design and content was improved (as already discussed) and then the content was changed later, if there's general agreement that de-emphasizing the download is a good idea.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 11:31:02 PM

+1

I didn't like the blue either.

... but I would like to open up discussion of content.  I'd like to see the bitcoin.org home page to be less about bitcoin-the-software and more about bitcoin-the-currency.

You don't have to download and run any software to run bitcoin, and I think most non-technies are better off using an online wallet service rather than running bitcoin.exe.

+1

Good idea. It will be easier for new users to start using an online service rather than software.

Perhaps there should be a link pointing to a page for "advanced users" which will want to have their own client and/or miner.
Or there could be 2 sections - one for normal users, and one for advanced users (the easy one being the default).

genjix
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 01:04:06 AM

Can we also get away from having 'the one true' version of bitcoin listed?

Ideally we want multiple clients. There should be a list of different clients like "here's some ways of connecting to bitcoin:"... For now it'd only be 'Bitcoin' and 'BitCoinJ'. But in the future would be Python clients, various forks and builds for different platforms.

Could the mainline Bitcoin also be renamed? It's confusing to refer to the currency, protocol and 1 implementation by one name. I suggest Bytecoin to mix things up a bit.

The whole idea would be a list of different implementations. No one version would be better.

I realise this is bad for end-user convenience, but it's *much* more healthy for project development, because this way many versions get exposure instead of one version approved by the cabal to go up on the site. Diversify.
genjix
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 01:07:07 AM

Secondly, can sgornick's news items be put on the front-page? I'd like to see him become maintainer of a front-page news feed.

http://www.bitcoinnews.com/

It shows to new people that this project is active, and things are happening. Especially for new services to get limelight.

Maybe also show the exchange rate. It's a common question for new users to ask how much a bitcoin is, and where they can get some.

http://bitcoinwatch.com/
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12865

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 01:20:52 AM

Satoshi has been opposed to the creation of new client software, so he probably won't want different clients listed on bitcoin.org.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
genjix
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 01:42:35 AM

Satoshi has been opposed to the creation of new client software, so he probably won't want different clients listed on bitcoin.org.

That was because he planned further changes to the client. But he's left now.
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 01:46:21 AM

I think it is because using different clients was not safe. And it may be not safe today too.

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
genjix
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 02:01:16 AM

I think it is because using different clients was not safe. And it may be not safe today too.

No I remember him explicitly stating that it was because he could make breaking changes to the protocol at any time. Now there's no risk of that. We need forks and other clients. Have one client named 'Bitcoin' is a killer for any other implementations.
comboy

Activity: 247
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 10:56:49 PM

... but I would like to open up discussion of content.  I'd like to see the bitcoin.org home page to be less about bitcoin-the-software and more about bitcoin-the-currency

+10

On wikipedia it's also confusing that this quick info box is containing information like: "Written in: C++", "Size 5.2 MB - 9.7 MB". It seems common to me that people think at the beginning it's all about this program and not protocol.

Also I like idea of having just a button for system detected from user-agent and just some extra link for showing others.

Variance is a bitch!
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 11:24:56 PM

I whish I could think of bitcoin more as a protocol than as a software.  But I can't since there is no RFC or clear protocol description document.  Satoshi's white paper is nice, but it is not enough I'm afraid.

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 01:22:35 PM

Is there any more effort to redesign the website?

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 11:01:06 PM

Bumpy bump.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: