Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:08:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dont buy overpriced PCI-E raisers / extenders weight your options!  (Read 9474 times)
what@3 (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 04:31:36 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2011, 06:25:41 PM by what@3

This is not a advertising thread, I would just like to make those who are new to bitcoins and mining rig assembly aware there there are many places to purchase extender cables from.

when purchasing pci-e extenders, make sure you are getting the BEST price.

here is a list of places to check

http://tinyurl.com/3zyk4sy pci-e x1 currently an auction but free S&H

http://tinyurl.com/3t9jmwp $9.00 for 2 pci-e x16 extenders Free S&H

Please read, this should be considered a good example of how some people that do not like it when you state the obvious react, they Lock the topic  and Move the topic to
Bitcoin Forum > Other > Archival > Obsolete (selling) > Locked

http://tinyurl.com/3qmuj34 to me any time someone's valid opinion is essentially censored should be regarded as a red flag thus implying more research into the matter.

more details

Well if anyone is interested ~90% of the items Cableasurus is selling he's most likely purchasing from 9mart.com.

I've make MANY purchase from 9mart, every single thing I've gotten has worked perfectly

all of the items I'm about to post are $9.00 for 2 of each item and include FREE shipping

2 Lots PCI-E PCIe PCI-Express 1X To 16X Riser Card

http://tinyurl.com/3jaxwkn  $9.00 for 2

or $14.95 for 1 from Cablesaurus ??

2 Lots PCI-E PCIe PCI-Express 4x To 16x Riser Card for 1U/2U Chassis

http://tinyurl.com/3gq8lyw

2 Lots PCI-Express Extension Cable 8x To 16x Riser Card For 1U/2U

http://tinyurl.com/3dcsbw8

2 Lots PCI-E PCI-Express 16x Riser Card Extender Cable 1U 2U

http://tinyurl.com/3t9jmwp

or $12.95 for 1 from Cablesaurus ??

These next items go for 4 (qty) for $9.00

4 lots of SATA To 6 Pins Graphics Power cable Adapter

http://tinyurl.com/3zswask

I just don't see the logic in spending $9.95 for 1 SATA -> 6-Pin PCIe Shielded Adapter Cable from the cableausrus dealer, when the items are the exact same things. Also 9mart just recently had to add watermarks over all their items, I wonder why..... Isn't it strange how similar the graphics are.

Now, I do notice that for and Additional $12 you'll solder a Molex for 12V straight to the card. This service is realistically worth $5, it is worth doing if you're running 4 or more cards on a board but absolutely not worth the +$100 Cablesuarus ( assuming you did popular your mobo w/ 4 pcie-x16 riser w/ molex )is charging. So, do you solder the ribbons to the pcb's got any pics of your operation? Yes he also supports the bitcoin economy by accepting BTC's but that's also what exchanges are for.  As far as shipping from hong Kong is concerned, I live on the East coast ( US ) it has always taken 8 to 10 days and that's with free shipping

Another post on this forum regarding the same subject matter

http://tinyurl.com/3wnuccr

IMO get some more realistic prices, in every imaginable case it would in up costing the consumer less to wait the additional time and not mine at all until than item arrive from hong kong.  Anyone can feel free to PM me for price quote for a molex plug to raiser soldering service.

Then there is also just using google shopping for additional sellers

http://tinyurl.com/44afbp6 I also included the Free shipping option to refine the results even further.

Don't forget to check the qty included ie 2 for $9.00 = 4.50 EACH and not ~$14-25 for 1 like some places.

** topic title edited

It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
what@3 (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 06:31:27 PM

PCI-E 1X Riser PCI-Express Card Extender Cable Adapter

http://tinyurl.com/3b9uplr

$7.00 + free S&H

Little pricey but still cheaper then some dealers in this forum.
xxxcoin

Activity: 57

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 06:41:43 PM

Ordered one of these:

http://www.camera2000.com/en/pci-e-pcie-pci-express-1x-to-16x-riser-card-for-1u-2u-chassis.html

Will update when it arrives Wink
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 06:52:08 PM

Most of my risers I just paid a few bucks each for on ebay. I did however buy a $25 riser with molex from cablesaurus. It works great, and the shipping was fast, but $25 is still a complete ripoff.
FalconFour

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 06:55:33 PM

Good post. I'd been having a bit of trouble figuring out how to phrase a search for these...

But in looking through the linked items, all I see is crap, crap, crap! These risers are obviously designed by people with zero knowledge of exactly what signals are being passed through those lines, and what sort of cabling arrangement needs to be done with them to "extend" them without signal degradation/errors. Every line is just passed through straight-across with no consideration of power, signal, crosstalk, etc...

PCIe is an internal interface, meaning it's not designed to go anywhere except where the mainboard had already positioned it. So in order for you to extend or move it, you should consider how to negate your "moving the slot", electrically - that is, how to make it appear to the computer like everything's normal. You set up twisted signal pairs, thicker/grouped power trunks, etc.

That may be why some risers are more expensive - they're actually designed, not merely manufactured. They won't give people undue amounts of headache ("OMG Y WONT MY MINER WORK!!1", "STUPAT PROGRAM CRASHES MY COMPUZER WHEN I OPEN IT!"), and they'll actually... you know... work. BUT, on the other hand, there are likely to be places selling these risers for big "enterprise" setups that can get away with charging $300 for a 140gb hard drive (I'm an IT guy - shit like that flies like an F-16 around here, it's just sad). Those places are to be avoided like the devil. Honestly, I'd rather pay $15 for a piece-of-crap Chinese-designed straight-through-cabled riser, than $40 for an overpriced "server class" board and proper twisted cable. That's just exploitation right there Wink

Of course, what I'm looking for is a board that splits a single 16x slot into 16 PCIe 1x slots that fit 16x cards (or maybe 4 4x slots, or 8 2x slots, etc). We already know that 16x cards work just happy at 1x, and that could really help a lot of people looking to use a cheap Atom-based MicroATX board as a PC, dramatically reducing power consumption and improving efficiency. All I seem to find are extenders for existing slots, but no "breakout" boards to split up existing slots into multiple slots (which is entirely possible, from an electrical/logical point of view). I've only seen one setup: http://www.amfeltec.com/products/x4pcie-splitter4.php
... but it's not for sale, only bulk orders, and isn't exactly what I had in mind (x4 to 4x x1). Otherwise it'd be pretty nice.

feed the bird: 187CXEVzakbzcANsyhpAAoF2k6KJsc55P1 (BTC) / LiRzzXnwamFCHoNnWqEkZk9HknRmjNT7nU (LTC)
what@3 (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:12:13 PM

Good post. I'd been having a bit of trouble figuring out how to phrase a search for these...

But in looking through the linked items, all I see is crap, crap, crap! These risers are obviously designed by people with zero knowledge of exactly what signals are being passed through those lines, and what sort of cabling arrangement needs to be done with them to "extend" them without signal degradation/errors. Every line is just passed through straight-across with no consideration of power, signal, crosstalk, etc...

PCIe is an internal interface, meaning it's not designed to go anywhere except where the mainboard had already positioned it. So in order for you to extend or move it, you should consider how to negate your "moving the slot", electrically - that is, how to make it appear to the computer like everything's normal. You set up twisted signal pairs, thicker/grouped power trunks, etc.

That may be why some risers are more expensive - they're actually designed, not merely manufactured. They won't give people undue amounts of headache ("OMG Y WONT MY MINER WORK!!1", "STUPAT PROGRAM CRASHES MY COMPUZER WHEN I OPEN IT!"), and they'll actually... you know... work. BUT, on the other hand, there are likely to be places selling these risers for big "enterprise" setups that can get away with charging $300 for a 140gb hard drive (I'm an IT guy - shit like that flies like an F-16 around here, it's just sad). Those places are to be avoided like the devil. Honestly, I'd rather pay $15 for a piece-of-crap Chinese-designed straight-through-cabled riser, than $40 for an overpriced "server class" board and proper twisted cable. That's just exploitation right there Wink

Of course, what I'm looking for is a board that splits a single 16x slot into 16 PCIe 1x slots that fit 16x cards (or maybe 4 4x slots, or 8 2x slots, etc). We already know that 16x cards work just happy at 1x, and that could really help a lot of people looking to use a cheap Atom-based MicroATX board as a PC, dramatically reducing power consumption and improving efficiency. All I seem to find are extenders for existing slots, but no "breakout" boards to split up existing slots into multiple slots (which is entirely possible, from an electrical/logical point of view). I've only seen one setup: http://www.amfeltec.com/products/x4pcie-splitter4.php
... but it's not for sale, only bulk orders, and isn't exactly what I had in mind (x4 to 4x x1). Otherwise it'd be pretty nice.

arg... on first read through I found this very frustrating, second, third and fourth reading makes a lot more sense. Yes you certainly are correct about those items, but and most importantly, they work. I'm running 9 of them right now and I'm sure plenty of others have great success with them, my protest is the absurd mark up a certain seller is placing on these items. I myself am quite certain that this particular dealer ( we all know who ) is selling those exact items  w/ ridiculous markup, not to mention the ~$15 solder job... So all in all I've come to the conclusion that the only reason this dealer ( you know who-asurus ) is getting away with this crazy price structuring is b/c people ( noobs ) are having trouble finding them. Oh and btw I'm an "IT guy" irl also, but on teh interwebs I'm also a doctor, lawyer, astronaut and professional of what ever occupation that suits the current forum / topic I'm currently perusing in order to sound most right.

oh and one another note, who really gives a damn as how great his customer service is, he's not telling you anything you cant find on your own

boycott-asurus
FalconFour

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 05:31:24 PM

Wow... I... actually didn't even know about this asurus guy before that post. o.o

Well, I guess if it works, it works... I just figured I should note a few potential problems with cutting corners.

feed the bird: 187CXEVzakbzcANsyhpAAoF2k6KJsc55P1 (BTC) / LiRzzXnwamFCHoNnWqEkZk9HknRmjNT7nU (LTC)
what@3 (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 11:59:13 PM

Read my first post.

I don't want to come off as too bias so here he is

http://www.cablesaurus.com/

its just over price re-branded junk from china, granted I'm sure its functional, but everyone who's paying his retarded prices, is well... retarded.....

Also, having a market place seller ie cablesaurus ALSO being a mod / sr.member / admin seems to scream conflict of interest. For instance if I were to purchase a bunch of extenders and simply resell them here he could simply delete all my posts and/or claim shenanigans!!To be honest after he relocated my post on his topic as to not effect sales ( his resales ) I'm quite shocked this thread is still here.   

I do believe that it should be made clear that if you're selling items routinely ( use Cablesaurus as and example ) you should have no Mod privileges AT ALL in order to promote a help open and FAIR market place.
AniceInovation
Donator

Activity: 446
Merit: 262

Interesting.

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 03:12:47 AM

Thanks for the links, they will be usefull.
Any news on cheap pci - pci-e converter? All the ones i saw are expensiver than cablesaurus!
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 03:41:54 AM

What makes you think Cablesaurus has Mod/Admin privileges?
madnod

Activity: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 06:25:44 PM

i got 2 PCI-PCI-e converters from ebay, i had issues with win7 enabling the device within my mining rig (asrock X58 extreme with 4 6950 and 1 5670 getting 1.6 GH/s),
however on boot the converter worked fine on a second mobo with the 4870 plugged into it, i still need to do more investigation, but i don't want to disturb my miners!
xxxcoin

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 07:27:47 PM

Arrived today Cheesy

Looks pretty good in the bag, will see how it works in the box Wink
b1m2x3

Activity: 7

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 12:28:19 AM

I was able to just cut the ends of the pci-e 1x slots off on my mobo. Video card fit right in and I have 4 running on the board...  Cool
AniceInovation
Donator

Activity: 446
Merit: 262

Interesting.

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 09:39:34 PM

i got 2 PCI-PCI-e converters from ebay, i had issues with win7 enabling the device within my mining rig (asrock X58 extreme with 4 6950 and 1 5670 getting 1.6 GH/s),
however on boot the converter worked fine on a second mobo with the 4870 plugged into it, i still need to do more investigation, but i don't want to disturb my miners!

Could you share who was the salesman? 40 bucks for one isn't for me Sad
NLA

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

How does I shot web?

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 09:48:22 PM

Wait, are people buying PCI-e 1x to 16x adapters so they can plug in their 6990's into their PCI 1x slots? How well does that work, lol?

If my post helped you in some way, please donate to 1NP2HfabXzq1BB288ymbgnLcGoeBsF7ahP. Smiley
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 09:54:41 PM

Wait, are people buying PCI-e 1x to 16x adapters so they can plug in their 6990's into their PCI 1x slots? How well does that work, lol?
If you're sending tiny hashes back and forth, you don't really need all that much bandwith.
woooooofa

Activity: 33

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 02:56:05 AM

Are the PCI-X to PCI-E 16x riser boards that I see from time to time on eBay compatible in all server motherboards with PCI-X slots?
xxxcoin

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2011, 11:41:52 AM

I was able to just cut the ends of the pci-e 1x slots off on my mobo. Video card fit right in and I have 4 running on the board...  Cool

Looking at the cable I just got it looks like that would work just as well Wink
BrianH

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 07:30:25 AM

I've been purchasing stuff on the internet for well over 11 years. I was in on PayPal when they were still offering $10 for new accounts. I know the alternatives.

However, I have read enough threads of people having problems with extenders that paying an extra 110% for cablesaurus's seemed like a reasonable deal. One person even purchased an extender that was soldered on backwards. Backwards! Paying $5 extra to ensure my $250 card does not let out the black genie was a no brainer.

what@3 (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 01:13:12 AM

I've been purchasing stuff on the internet for well over 11 years. I was in on PayPal when they were still offering $10 for new accounts. I know the alternatives.

However, I have read enough threads of people having problems with extenders that paying an extra 110% for cablesaurus's seemed like a reasonable deal. One person even purchased an extender that was soldered on backwards. Backwards! Paying $5 extra to ensure my $250 card does not let out the black genie was a no brainer.

Would you ever plug you card in to a slot that forced you to install your card completely backwards. I mean come on, that's just ridiculous, what ever tard did that deserves to have the " black genie " come pay him a visit. Also, if you cant brush your teeth with out stabbing yourself in the ear you should probably just stick to mouth wash..... Oh and welcome to the internet!!!  mr.I've been buying stuff off the internets for 11 years, its nice to finale have you here we've missed you. Anyone else want to brag about how long they've been buying stuff of the internet via time oriented comparison? I was buying stuff off the internet since www.cyberslots.net was considered a highly addictive gambling site.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: