Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:33:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANALYSIS] Altcoin Investing  (Read 41034 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Majormax
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 07:08:45 PM

In QRK, they are never 'all mined'.  (1M per year indefinitely).

If a coin were 'all mined' then it would be a good test of whether the network stands on transaction fees or PoS (or some other).

PGPpfKkx

Activity: 586
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:28:33 PM

lol first of all there is no mention for peercoin or namecoin. maybe educate yourself a bit about the big coins.

quark is mined almost entirely, it's the end of mining what are you talking about asics and fpgas joining in the future?
it is so obvious you are a quark holder/drooler
Zzzack

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:41:59 PM

lol first of all there is no mention for peercoin or namecoin. maybe educate yourself a bit about the big coins.

quark is mined almost entirely, it's the end of mining what are you talking about asics and fpgas joining in the future?
it is so obvious you are a quark holder/drooler

From your post it almost makes it seem like QRK won't be mined at some point. From what I've read, the blocks just keep coming and stop halving after we hit 247,4xx,xxx coins.

Producer
FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 11:08:39 PM

What!? Your alt-coin doesn't let you vote? HaHa...

Should have used Memorycoin!

5% of newly mined MemoryCoins are awarded as grants to finance development, support and marketing.
Anyone can apply for a position and the winners are selected by a vote of MemoryCoin holders.

http://memorycoin.org/manifesto/
cenari0

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 11:22:07 PM

Preamble:
This is not investment advice. People always say that when giving investment advice, so I thought I'd start with it. I guess some guy once did badly and sued some other guy and now nobody advises anybody about anything anymore. If you're a litigious guy, you should stick to T-bills, whatever they are. I hear they are very safe, but don't take my word for it, as this is not, as I have already told you, investment advice.

http://www.dragons.tl/images/bitcoin-logo.pngBitcoin
Hopefully you already know why Bitcoin is great. This article is for people who already understand Bitcoin, so I won't dwell on its strengths. Those are name recognition, network effect and first mover advantage. I'm going to focus on its weaknesses by looking at the questions altcoins need to answer to succeed where Bitcoin is failing.

a) Inflation - How does the coin solve the inflation problem?
Don't be fooled by the econ 101 grads who wax on about deflation. Right now Bitcoin is highly inflationary – running at about 9%. That's a huge problem for the 'to the moon' proponents. Here's why -
   There are 3,600 new bitcoins mined every day. It requires $3 million (3,600x$800) to enter the market every day just to keep the price where it is. 
   Let's say you want a modest 100X return on your investment. You need 1BTC to go from $800 to $80,000. The cost to keep BTC at $80,000? Every day $300 million (3,600*$80000) has to enter the market. It's difficult to see how that happens. The exchanges and markets aren't equipped for anything like that.    This problem will ease over the years – the number of coins mined will halve every 4 years, but realistically, who can wait that long to be a billionaire?

b) Development - How is ongoing development, promotion and protection funded?
Bitcoin currently has a $10 Billion market cap, and there are lots of services and companies hopping on the Bitcoin bandwagon, but how much effort is going into securing the core-technology and making Bitcoin easy to use? A paltry amount. There's the Bitcoin Foundation which relies on donations, and open source developers contributing their time. The Bitcoin millionaires and billionaires should be co-operating to finance huge development of the core-technology. There is no mechanism for them to co-ordinate that, and it doesn't make any sense for any one person to do it individually. Who is going to pay for the legal, lobbying, PR that is going to be needed down the road? Ain't nobody going to do that.

c) Decentralization - How is the coin going to stay decentralized?
Bitcoin has become centralized in two ways – large pools and specialized hardware. China has worked out what Bitcoin means for capital movement and currency control and they don't like it. One of the first moves was to ban mining hardware – the ASICs – highly specialized computer equipment. Any government that wants to take control of Bitcoin will target this hardware first. Good luck to anyone trying to keep it a secret. The NSA already knows the colour of your underwear.The pools are a problem too – a co-ordinated shutting down of the major pools could cause severe disruption.

Bitcoin Verdict : Recommended 10X Possible – Despite these problems, Bitcoin is the market leader and safest cryptocurrency and gives good general exposure to the crypto-currency market. Keep 50% of your allocated crypto-currency holdings here. 10X short-term price increase still possible. Reduced potential for explosive growth in price.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2llokmb.gifQuark
I was recommending Quark way back in July 2013. It's since appreciated 50X. Let's see if the case still stacks up.

Q1: Inflation: The inflation problem is solved, most of the coins have already been issued and the inflation rate is now 0.5%. You'll hear people complaining about the 'pre-mine' – that's a really bullish sign. People don't complain about coins with unfair pre-mines, they ignore them. If there are complainers, it means they want in . . . but . . . yesterday. Well done Quark. (3/3)

Q2: Development: Community effort based on donations – same problem as Bitcoin (0/3)

Q3: Decentralization: Quark attempts to solve the hardware centralization problem through complexity. The proof-of-work algorithm is complex, so it's difficult to program for GPUs and GPUs are poorly suited to that kind of work. It'll slow down FPGA and ASIC development too, but they'll show up once the reward is high enough. Overall, a good effort – (2/4)

Quark Verdict (5/10) – There are still possible 100X returns with this coin.

http://i39.tinypic.com/nbcikp.jpgPrimecoin

I was very excited about Primecoin from the beginning. I think the hook that the proof-of-work might actually do something useful (finding primes) would be enough to get it a mention in any story about crypto-currency. Let's look at the questions

Q1: Inflation: This was the thing that turned me off Primecoin. The inflation formula is 999/(difficulty^2). Difficulty is currently around 10.4 – so approximately 9 coins are issued each block. Difficulty increases by 1 every time computing power increases 30 fold, so you'll have a gradual reduction only with HUGE increase in the network. This coin will remain very inflationary. (0/3)

Q2: Development: Community effort based on donations – same problem as Bitcoin but +1 for SunnyKing (1/3)

Q3: Decentralization: Similarly to Quark, this has proved to be GPU resistant because of its complexity. Expected to be vulnerable to ASICs with sufficient reward. (2/4)

+1 Bonus for newsworthy proof-of-work

Primecoin Verdict: (4/10) - Still a buy – 10X returns are possible.

http://i41.tinypic.com/fekm6c.pngProtoShares

This is the first coin that has backing – Invictus Innovations have pledged that all further chains they launch reserve 10% for ProtoShares holders. They seem intent on keeping this promise, so buying into ProtoShares is like buying into an early stage crypto-startup. The CEO, Dan Larimer is something of a genius in my opinion, and has a strong team so it's a good play based on that alone . . . and it works as a plain old altcoin too.

Q1: Inflation: – There's a 5% reduction in block rewards every week, so inflation will be down to 10% before the end of this year, and 1% by the end of next year. Solved in time. (2/3)

Q2: Development: – The coin is backed by a startup with funding so some level of development and promotion is guaranteed. The team does have higher priorities with their other projects, but ProtoShares owners will get a cut of those, so that is offset somewhat. (1/3)

Q3: Decentralization: – It uses a clever new 'momentum' proof-of-work based on the birthday problem. However, GPU miners are operating privately and expected to dominate when they are generally available. The jury is still out on FPGA/ASIC resistance. Pools seem to be a problem with one pool dominating the mining (2/4)

+2 Backing by Invictus Innovations

Verdict: (7/10) I should mention bias here – I was involved with the launch of this coin. I'm not recommending it because I was involved with it . . . rather the reverse . . . I got involved because it was possible to recommend it. 100X returns possible.

http://i42.tinypic.com/33loza1.jpgMemoryCoin

I should mention bias upfront here - this is the coin I started to address the problems with Bitcoin. Again, I'm recommending this coin not because I started it, rather I started it because it is possible to recommend it. Here's why -

Q1: Inflation: – Similar mining schedule as ProtoShares, 5% reduction in block rewards every week, so inflation will be down to 10% before the end of this year, but reduces to a 2% inflation rate rather than 1%. Solved in time. (2/3)

Q2: Development: – This is the reason people are excited about this coin. 5% of block rewards are earmarked for development and promotion. Coin owners vote like shareholders as to how the funds are distributed. It has resulted in huge development effort already, within weeks the coin has more services and support than even Litecoin or Quark. (3/3)

Q3: Decentralization: – This coin heavily leverages memory and special instructions found in recent CPUs. There's a battle going on now between GPU and CPU developers to see who can make the most efficient algorithms for mining this coin. CPUs have pulled ahead dramatically in the past week. Uniquely, the project has distributed mining as a high priority so it well placed to avoid centralization of mining. The jury is out on FPGAs and ASICs. (3/4)

Verdict (8/10)  1000X gains possible. This coin is still in the very early stages with only 30% of coins issued, and not many people understand it yet, but is quickly gaining a large development community and does large volume on the Chinese market already.

https://litecoin.info/skins/common/images/litecoin-logo-135x135.pngLitecoin

I didn't want to talk about Litecoin, but I should because it has the second highest market cap. Let's see how it does with the questions.
Q1: Inflation: No attempt made to solve inflation problem – it's got the same schedule as Bitcoin. (0/3)
Q2: Development:  Community effort based on donations – same problem as Bitcoin (0/3)
Q3: Decentralization:  Litecoin was first to try to address the harware centralization problem but failed. Semi-specialized equipment (GPUs) already required, FPGA are here and ASICs on the way. (0/4)

Verdict (0/10) – stay away from this one. Remarkably, there are coins worse than Litecoin – those are the coins trying to be the next Litecoin.

This is a living document - bookmark it now - I'll update with new coins, corrections, and as my view and the market changes. I'm also interested to hear what coins you think are good bets for the future - but don't just drop in the name of your coin - tell me, how does it answer the three important questions?

*nb I'll be deleting trolling and inflammatory posts - keep it civil please.

I bought litecoin and Primecoin at roughly the same time. Litecoin was worth $3 and Primecoin about $5.

Litecoin went up to $45 before settling at $23 ; Primecoin on the other hand is still under $10. So why do you state that litecoin has 0 chances of making huge gains ??
itsik78

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:40:39 PM

Interesting article on BTCGeek:
http://www.btcgeek.com/memorycoin-trying-something-brilliant/

linolis

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:36:20 PM

Great guide!

BitLinares

Activity: 98

Bitbahia.com

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 06:43:01 PM

Excelent guide, a lot of thanks Grin

IsaacGoldbourne

Activity: 112

Looking to start various enterprises

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 10:29:59 AM

Memorycoin is in my opinion the coin with the most potential out there, mainly due to the voting system. It is truly remarkable how much we have achieved because of it - and as freetrade said we already have more services that QRK or LTC.

Vote for me for CEO/CNO of MemoryCoin!
CEO: MVTEceoa86dYRsxc2rWCexBMjJmaawMkHZ
CNO: MVTEcno2tbsJWj7AQEyEjgk72j94hbPHFm
tomorrow

Activity: 48

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 08:17:18 PM

chinese translation here Roll Eyes

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=2493.0
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 08:56:39 PM

Memorycoin is in my opinion the coin with the most potential out there, mainly due to the voting system. It is truly remarkable how much we have achieved because of it - and as freetrade said we already have more services that QRK or LTC.

I own memorycoin and I'm an active member of invictus co.munity, but to say memorycoin has more services and infrastructure than litecoin is just a bunch of bullshit.

About the write up, I agree with a lot of it btw but when it came to litecoin, seriously Free trade 0 /10? You have no idea what's in store this year for litecoin development and infrastructure. There are litecoin projects worth millions of dollars in development and most exchanges and ATMs plan yo have litecoin very soon. Sure there are issues with the community but they are already being worked on. Litecoin still has a long way to go up, $700Million market cap won't just go to $0

Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 10:10:58 PM

BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:36:02 AM

The real confirmation time is not the time for a transaction be included in a block, it should be the time that the chain is long enough so that the chance of reorganization is very little. For BTC, normally you wait 3 to 6 confirmation, but how many you need to wait for Quark? Maybe 20, 30? Short confirmation time only gives you false safety. Moreover, 36 seconds block generating time will introduce a lot of stale and orphan blocks.
itsik78

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:13:04 AM

It took me a while, but I came to realize that confirmation time isn't as important as I thought when I first looked into crypto-currencies.
A "good enough" confirmation per transaction can be achieved via other methods so you don't have to wait, for example, the full ~10 minutes per confirmation on BTC.

HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 09:58:27 AM

Nice MMC advertising  Grin

Mike005

Activity: 39

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:17:31 PM

Thank you for this article..
Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:40:07 PM

The real confirmation time is not the time for a transaction be included in a block, it should be the time that the chain is long enough so that the chance of reorganization is very little. For BTC, normally you wait 3 to 6 confirmation, but how many you need to wait for Quark? Maybe 20, 30? Short confirmation time only gives you false safety. Moreover, 36 seconds block generating time will introduce a lot of stale and orphan blocks.

"If you use one PREDICTABLE algo (e.g SHA-256 or Scrypt) and make the block confirmation speed too fast, then your coin would be incredibly insecure (e.g.FastCoin). For instance we know that Bitcoin uses ONLY SHA-256, and Litecoin etc are using ONLY Scrypt algo -- that's predictable! But Quark complements it's fast confirmation times by 9 rounds of hashing using RANDOMLY 6 algorithms, which is unpredictable. So in effect, you have lightning speed combined with unbeatable multi-layered security. Quark is really a unique and ingenious hidden gem of a cryptocurrency.
And whatever Bitcoin enthusiasts may say, at this stage they cannot implement this combination of features into Bitcoin because that would radically alter Bitcoin's DNA."
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:44:45 PM

And whatever Bitcoin enthusiasts may say, at this stage they cannot implement this combination of features into Bitcoin because that would radically alter Bitcoin's DNA."

Yes, I've heard that line . . . that if altcoins come up with any improvements, Bitcoin will simply adopt them. It's tosh. The only way the Bitcoin community will agree to even a minor (forking) change is if there is a clear existential threat like a security problem discovered . . . that will cause a scramble, and there won't be any new features added.

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:28:48 PM

Added my thoughts on Infinitecoin.

I've been playing around with it today - despite having a market cap north of 5M, it was difficult to sync with only one node appearing for the duration of the sync. Difficulty very low and weak network - recommended sell until this coin gets rescued.

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
itsik78

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:16:33 PM

Added my thoughts on Infinitecoin.

I've been playing around with it today - despite having a market cap north of 5M, it was difficult to sync with only one node appearing for the duration of the sync. Difficulty very low and weak network - recommended sell until this coin gets rescued.
Thanks for adding InfiniteCoin.
It looks like it's a dying coin: http://exploretheblocks.com:2750/chain/Infinitecoin
I checked the exchanges and there are very few buy requests compared to other coins...
I'd stay away, as you said.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: