Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:38:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Closed  (Read 19373 times)
subseaguru

Activity: 560
Merit: 504

I know the voices in my head aren't real.

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:02:44 PM

i just went through www.cybtc.com/thread-5203-1-1.html (use google page translator) as was referenced earlier and lots of info about it. it seems the Chinese are working and improving it. they sold some for 400 yuan ($66) and they are testing them and making recommendations for improvement.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
miaviator
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 03:57:48 PM

- A device in a tiny package that needs to dissipate 600W of heat.  The heat sink of an Avalon Blade has to dissipate 600W and it's 6" high and 18" long at least.
It has been written that one device dissipates 60 W, a set of 10 devices dissipates 600 W. Looking at pictures it seems to be possible.

It should also be pointed out the heatsinks in the picture have a lot better surface area and direct airflow than the absolute garbage avalon blades come with.

incognitoworker

Activity: 736
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:22:52 PM

very interesting!
Want minimum 1 big one!

Cool

Quotient- Closed loop economy enviroment experiment
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1195335.0
rezilient

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:08:14 PM

Does anyone know why they'd be able to release a BTC+LTC asic a lot easier than an exclusive LTC asic? There is a huge arms race right now in the LTC world for the first ASIC so I don't understand why these guys wouldn't go "all in" on a LTC asic.  They would be the first, and reap huge rewards for that.

You don't pay enough.
elchorizo

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:23:22 PM

Does anyone know why they'd be able to release a BTC+LTC asic a lot easier than an exclusive LTC asic? There is a huge arms race right now in the LTC world for the first ASIC so I don't understand why these guys wouldn't go "all in" on a LTC asic.  They would be the first, and reap huge rewards for that.

Good question, not sure why they would do this either... my guess is they are hedging their bets. Remember, when they started making this chip doing anything "scrypt" was a big risk compared to doing something for Bitcoin. Bitcoin is established, and while we all here (most likely) believe in Litecoin, etc.. its one thing to believe in it like that and another to design a chip for it which is a huge investment.

Things have calmed down now and I think scrypt has proven there is demand for it but we will see if a company does a chip for it.

Think about it, the scrypt portion is pretty slow... almost an afterthought really. I guess they figured, if we can throw it in there, why not.

BTC: 1Chorizo6WNabZxVfQyGtvF4JiRt7Hexxb
LTC: Lchorizoy8ck7Arbby8LDnw5wAmi8h6Hzb
stacksmasher

Activity: 121

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:47:56 PM

Its legit. The jig is up for those of us with huge mining rig farms. Be careful, the chip manufacturer said there are 3 or 4 scammers who got samples and are taking orders for thousands but they only have a few samples in the wild.

quote author=rammy2k2 link=topic=424987.msg4682910#msg4682910 date=1390474578]
So...a fabled LTC/BTC mining device sent from China 'at the weekend'? 

- A device that no-one has heard of before, and is probably impossible because ASICs don't work that way. 
- A device that can't have any power circuitry in that tiny package, especially anything that uses 600W. 
- A device in a tiny package that needs to dissipate 600W of heat.  The heat sink of an Avalon Blade has to dissipate 600W and it's 6" high and 18" long at least. 
- China is basically closed down for holidays from today, so there'll be nothing shipping 'at the weekend'.  

Terrible scam, photoshop pics and didn't even do any research.

FAIL.

a device that no one heard before ? dude .. before posting crap, try to do a lookup, they are very popular in china, and yes, they are real
[/quote]
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 07:07:39 AM

Does anyone know why they'd be able to release a BTC+LTC asic a lot easier than an exclusive LTC asic? There is a huge arms race right now in the LTC world for the first ASIC so I don't understand why these guys wouldn't go "all in" on a LTC asic.  They would be the first, and reap huge rewards for that.
Because scrypt requires SHA2 circuitry anyway. SHA2 related transistors would be in the chip, idling 90% of the time. Why not use that part of the chip to mine BTC during those idle cycles?

What they can fine tune is how many SHA2 units they choose to put in a chip, to control die area and costs. That has to do with it's size vs the rest of the required logic. If they are small, why not?

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Cheshyr

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 07:13:26 AM

Does anyone know why they'd be able to release a BTC+LTC asic a lot easier than an exclusive LTC asic? There is a huge arms race right now in the LTC world for the first ASIC so I don't understand why these guys wouldn't go "all in" on a LTC asic.  They would be the first, and reap huge rewards for that.
Because scrypt requires SHA2 circuitry anyway. SHA2 related transistors would be in the chip, idling 90% of the time. Why not use that part of the chip to mine BTC during those idle cycles?

What they can fine tune is how many SHA2 units they choose to put in a chip, to control die area and costs. That has to do with it's size vs the rest of the required logic. If they are small, why not?
+1

Glad someone around here is knowledgeable.

Last I heard, there were 40 batches of 10 being passed out, along with anything developed from the chips and reference designs made available at a trade show in early December.  Plenty of time for a few variants to pop up, especially with the throughput and work ethic in China.
kramble

Activity: 384
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 11:58:35 AM

I'm doubtful that any of the SHA256-dual hashers are shared between the BTC and LTC cores. The spec shows 160 BTC units and 4 LTC units. Each of the LTC units will contain perhaps one or two SHA256-single non-midstate hashers and these need not be fully unrolled pipelines either as the time required to compute the PBKDF2 hash is very short compared to the salsa hash. It would be just too much trouble to share the SHA256 hashers between the BTC and LTC cores (time is money in ASIC design, it would not be cost effective to do it this way).

I agree that the LTC cores are prototypes. My guess is that GridSeed had a foundry slot available for the BTC ASIC, so decided to add a prototype LTC hash design to the die. This would have been quite expensive in area as the embedded RAM would take up significant space, but its a sensible decision as it gives them a huge advantage in being first to market. I'll be interested to see what their next-generation pure LTC ASIC will do (I think we can assume one is in the pipeline).

Github https://github.com/kramble BLC BkRaMaRkw3NeyzsZ2zUgXsNLogVVkQ1iPV
oddwh

Activity: 854
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 12:55:05 PM

Tell me if I'm right, is it 50 watts per unit ?

because 500 watts seems too much for just one cooling system shown here

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄
     ▄██▀▀             ▀▀██▄
    ██▀                   ▀██
   █▌                       ▐█
  █▌                         ▐█
 ▐█            ▄▄▄            █▌
 ██         ▄██▀▀▀██▄         ██
 ▄         ▐█▌     ▐█▌         ▄
███        █▌       ▐█        ███
 ▀   █▄    ▐█▌     ▐█▌    ▄█   ▀
   █▄  █▄   ▀██▄▄▄██▀   ▄█  ▄█
    ▀█   █▄    ▀▀▀    ▄█   █▀
      █▄   █▄       ▄█   ▄█
       ██    █  ▄  █    ██
         █▄    ███    ▄█
          ██    ▀    ██
            █▄  █  ▄█
             ██ █ ██
                ▄
               ███
                ▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ▄████████████▄
    ▄████████████████▄
   ████████████████████
  ██████████████████████
 ████████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
▐████████████████████████▌▀▀▀   ▀▀▀
 ████████████████████████
  ██████████████████████
   ██▀████████████▀██
    ▀██▀▀██████▀▀██▀
      ▀████████████▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        
▄████████████▄     
▄████████████████▄   
████████████████████  
██████████████████████ 
 ████████████████████████
▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▐████████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
██████████████████████ 
████████████████████  
▀████████████████▀   
▀████████████▀     
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        
Gamer67

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

тσ ¢σιи σя иσт тσ ¢σιи?

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 01:16:42 PM

Tell me if I'm right, is it 50 watts per unit ?

because 500 watts seems too much for just one cooling system shown here

I believe it is 60w per

"I am not Dorian Nakamoto."
studio1one

Activity: 1218

BintexFutures

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:01:41 PM

4-5W per chip, 5 chips per unit.

BINTEX