Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:22:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is my money safe at Mt. Gox  (Read 3851 times)
Edward50 (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 08:25:47 PM

I moved some money over recently, and am wondering how safe my money is there? Could Mt. Gox just pull the plug and take my money with it?

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Synaptic

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 08:30:39 PM

If you look at teh codez of the hack, it's a pretty sophisticated attack.

If you were still logged onto Gox or if you hadn't cleared your cookies they likely have compromised your Gox account already.
BlockHash

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 08:32:23 PM

If you look at teh codez of the hack, it's a pretty sophisticated attack.

If you were still logged onto Gox or if you hadn't cleared your cookies they likely have compromised your Gox account already.

I've put in my sell order, I would advise everyone else to do the same. We can get back in later, but do something while you still have control of your coins and the terrorists haven't taken them yet.
buttcoin1

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 08:34:04 PM

I moved some money over recently, and am wondering how safe my money is there? Could Mt. Gox just pull the plug and take my money with it?

Of course your money isn't safe. If they ran away with your money what would you do? Nothing. Look what happened with mybitcoin. They ran away with 50%, bitcoiners just bitched and did nothing.
Synaptic

Activity: 84

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 08:35:16 PM

can anyone send me the plain-text of the wallet.dat stealer code?

I have the obfuscated version but I really don't feel like trying to decode it to human readable
KeyserSoze

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 05:24:08 AM

Yep, this is pretty much the death of bitcoin as we know it. the amount of fallout from this is gonna kill it dead. The entire system compromised by one site having lax security causing mtgox accounts and many others to get compromised to fuck.

what he said, except exact opposite

I used to day trade Bitcoin successfully. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
wee baby seamus

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 09:14:20 AM

it's no less safe there than it would be sitting in cigar box left on a random street corner.

so extremely safe.
Horkabork

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 11:02:11 AM

Mt. Gox, and any site, should be used for coins you plan on exchanging within, say, a 48 hour period. It baffles me that people are using a cryptocurrency with its benefits of security and control while throwing away those very benefits by letting someone else hold their bitcoins. That's like investing all your money in gold and then storing it in your gym locker. Damn. That's a horrible analogy and I apologize. It's actually more your accountant's gym locker. Or, screw it, the trunk of his car. Yeah, it's an old VW bug where the trunk is in the front. So, if your accountant slams on his brakes, all that heavy gold of yours will go flying out into traffic. Get this, guys: in this analogy, your accountant lives in south central LA. It's a hot day, too. So hot that you could light a crack pipe off the sidewalk, so your accountant's oil-cooled engine is overheating and he had to turn on the heater, which made him dizzy and that's how he got into this mess of losing your hard-earned gold. And he's in this messy divorce, which is why he's an accountant who works out of this shitty car rather than his office, because, man, you break one wine glass out of anger and yell at the Shih Tzu to quit pissing diarrhea all over your white carpet and your soon-to-be-ex-wife has a fantastic excuse to restraining-order your ass out of town.

Anyway, our accountant nearly passes out and then he comes-to just in time to see a baby crawling across the street. Babies crawling out in traffic on hot summer days is very common in south central LA. I read it on Drudge. He swerves and slams on his brakes and your gold flies out of the trunk into--get this--the only White Pride outpost in all of LA. This place is heavily guarded with asshole skinheads. Months ago, they saw it as their mission from god to buy a building in what they determined to be the most wretched hive of scum and villainy in all the land, with all the problems of the world blamed directly on non-pale people who they were intent on battling. They recently turned their one little plot of land deep in gang-country into a spearhead for their terrible cause.

So there's your gold bars, sitting on the other side of a cyclone fence with a horde of armed, tattooed white dudes thinking that Jesus just paid them royalties and endorsed their mission. Oh, but your accountant is not a white dude. He's/she's actually a transvestite cross-dressing sudanese-american with body dysmorphic disorder, vitiligo, multiple personalities, and wearing a half-burqua (not for religious reasons, but for the fashion). Also, he's an atheist with Richard Dawkins books covering the passenger seat of the VW. The VW exterior is covered with prominant stickers touting all kinds of liberal groups: NAACP, Planned Parenthood, Earth Share, Rainbow PUSH, The Southern Poverty Law Center, Greenpeace, GLAD, World Wildlife Fund, La Raza, PETA, NARAL, The Brady Center, NOW and the ACLU. Also, there's an AARP sticker for some reason and a sticker of a T-rex eating a shark eating the Jesus fish.

Furthermore, the baby your accountant nearly hit is a Crip. (Baby Crips are a thing now. I read it on Drudge). So his li'l buddies are about to jump all over this situation. He's throwing up little tiny gang signs at the accountant, just to see if he's about to cap any gang affiliate before all hell breaks loose.

Oh man, I'd say your gold bars are as good as gone, and your accountant is in the shit as well. So, for god's sake, why did you give your gold to a VW-driving traveling accountant in south central LA? WHY? This was a terrible idea and, frankly, you deserve to lose all that money. But now, through your own stupidity, you've helped spark and fund some kind of race war. Oh man you are such a racist and I'm ashamed of you.

Me: 15gbWvpLPfbLJZBsL2u5gkBdL3BUXDbTuF
A goat: http://i52.tinypic.com/34pj4v6.jpg
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 11:13:27 AM

The safest place to put your coins is a specialized machine (preferably cheap netbook) with bitcoin client only and hard disk encryption installed. Disconnected from the internet by default.

The machine should be put either in your home or somewhere safe. You should only use it when you want to send money out of it, or when you want to store wallet.dat backups on some storage media (of course, also encrypted with Truecrypt or something else).

Alex Zee

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 11:19:37 AM

Anyway, our accountant nearly passes out and then he comes-to just in time to see...

I sure hope you are writing books in you professional career, otherwise, you're wasting away your talent  Grin

BTC Monitor - systray price ticker
RipTalk.org - new Ripple forum
RJau

Activity: 74

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 01:14:04 PM

if mtgox know this cant they just require a password change by everyone...

pretty simple fix isnt it?
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 01:24:21 PM

Of course your money isn't safe. If they ran away with your money what would you do? Nothing. Look what happened with mybitcoin. They ran away with 50%, bitcoiners just bitched and did nothing.

Very true. 

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
heatherk

Activity: 9

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 04:25:47 PM

How many coins has everyone lost? Are they taking a percentage .... or skimming it off coin by coin? I NEED ANSWERS QUICK!!!!
DiaperedDynamo

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 05:31:27 PM

You need at least a 15 character password for important sites like GOX, be sure to rotate passwords frequently in case of attacks like this.
heatherk

Activity: 9

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 08:54:53 PM

Has any money actually been stolen?
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 09:06:16 PM

If you use their Yubikey, then yes, it's 100% safe.
I can say that number because bruteforcing yubikey codes has been proven mathematically infeasible at this time.

So if you have YK enabled, you can sleep at ease even with thousands of $ on Gox

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
buttcoin1

Merit: 1

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 12:07:55 AM

I'm sure RSA thought the same thing. Nothing is 100% hack proof.
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 12:27:07 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2011, 03:00:39 AM by ctoon6

YKs only help protect you against people trying to guess your password and some types of exporting the pw hash DB. otherwise, if its an inside job or a hack, depending on how its set up, you could and probably will loose all your coins.

edit: i would like to add, this is not only YK's, but any and all other security tokens. also includes sms and other types of devices.

Convery

Activity: 966
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 01:55:34 PM

MTgox is fun, always get so many emails about it :3

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 13:18:04 +0400, info@mtgox.com wrote:
> Dear Mt.Gox user,
>
>  Your account will be blocked for violating the rules of exchange.
>  Details:https://www.mgtox.com/users/blocked [1]
>
>  Thanks,
>  The Mt.Gox team
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.mtgcx.tk/users/blocked

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄