Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:56:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm not seeing miners leave in hordes...  (Read 11343 times)
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 06:28:45 PM

half the electric used for mining put into a more profitable venture. You can even recycle your parts lol look at the computer fan on the right lol

I would like to say this is a joke and I don't cultivate cannabis Cheesy I took this picture from google images.

Growing coral is somewhere up in the mix as far as using electricity to make money.  There is a lot of coral that goes for $200 a frag -- some only approx. 1 square inch.  I'm about to get back into the saltwater reef hobby, but not to make money.  Just a little 1.5 gallon pico.

These all go for $200+ and are just the tip of the iceberg.  The disc they are glued on to is 1-2" in diameter.

Hilariously enough, I farm coral as well as the ganj. Nowhere near as profitable as growing dope, and takes a HELL of a lot more time and effort. You need a ton of space to make a profit. Reefer takes 3.5 months to mature, most of those coral frags were grown out for a year at least, with a lot of expensive consumables sustaining them, not to mention having to procure the original genetics for highway robbery prices.

randy, is that you from reefcentral.com ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 07:55:41 PM

blowing me up, holmes?
infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 15, 2011, 08:13:47 PM

half the electric used for mining put into a more profitable venture. You can even recycle your parts lol look at the computer fan on the right lol

I would like to say this is a joke and I don't cultivate cannabis Cheesy I took this picture from google images.

Growing coral is somewhere up in the mix as far as using electricity to make money.  There is a lot of coral that goes for $200 a frag -- some only approx. 1 square inch.  I'm about to get back into the saltwater reef hobby, but not to make money.  Just a little 1.5 gallon pico.

These all go for $200+ and are just the tip of the iceberg.  The disc they are glued on to is 1-2" in diameter.

Hilariously enough, I farm coral as well as the ganj. Nowhere near as profitable as growing dope, and takes a HELL of a lot more time and effort. You need a ton of space to make a profit. Reefer takes 3.5 months to mature, most of those coral frags were grown out for a year at least, with a lot of expensive consumables sustaining them, not to mention having to procure the original genetics for highway robbery prices.

The funny thing is, that could be the name of a weed site, or a coral site.
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 12:08:04 AM

I should have known it was you! Mr Chemist sir. Why am I not surprised to see you in bitcoin land.
RandyFolds

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 01:37:21 AM

I should have known it was you! Mr Chemist sir. Why am I not surprised to see you in bitcoin land.

There, I know what I am talking about. Here, I just be trollin'.

I guess I am not the only one looking to run my electric bill even higher...hehe.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2011, 01:43:45 AM

I guess I am not the only one looking to run my electric bill even higher...hehe.
Having a bunch of miners is a good front for other power consumption. It's unlikely they'll get out the meter and verify how much the rigs really use.

RandyFolds

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 02:29:33 AM

Having a bunch of miners is a good front for other power consumption. It's unlikely they'll get out the meter and verify how much the rigs really use.

As long as you pay your bill, you can pull as much power as your breaker allows in LA and no one will come knocking on your door. Probably not the same in the dirty south, but here, you don't need cover, particularly if you aren't committing a crime. I got a condition, I tell you!
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 04:08:01 AM

Growing coral is somewhere up in the mix as far as using electricity to make money.  There is a lot of coral that goes for $200 a frag -- some only approx. 1 square inch.  I'm about to get back into the saltwater reef hobby, but not to make money.  Just a little 1.5 gallon pico.

These all go for $200+ and are just the tip of the iceberg.  The disc they are glued on to is 1-2" in diameter.

Nice. Where would I find out more about this? Is there a hobbyist site?
What is the connection with using electricity?
The connection with electricity is that it takes extreme amounts of light to grow out coral.  And it grows very slow.  I dunno, just reminds me of bitcoins.
reefcentral, nano-reef, and reefaddicts are the main sites I troll.
I wouldn't recommend getting into the saltwater reef hobby.  It's a very hard thing to do.  I had anxiety attacks over my 50g, but I'm going to try again with a pico and maybe step it up to a nano like how I started.
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 04:30:56 AM

Growing coral is somewhere up in the mix as far as using electricity to make money.  There is a lot of coral that goes for $200 a frag -- some only approx. 1 square inch.  I'm about to get back into the saltwater reef hobby, but not to make money.  Just a little 1.5 gallon pico.

These all go for $200+ and are just the tip of the iceberg.  The disc they are glued on to is 1-2" in diameter.

The connection with electricity is that it takes extreme amounts of light to grow out coral.  And it grows very slow.  I dunno, just reminds me of bitcoins.
I wouldn't recommend getting into the saltwater reef hobby.  It's a very hard thing to do.  I had anxiety attacks over my 50g, but I'm going to try again with a pico and maybe step it up to a nano like how I started.

Well the connection to using a lot of power is changing with LEDs now days. Most of us still run metal halide or T5. I have a 6 bulb T5 setup
over my tank. And that is small tank too.

Some coral grows slow. Some are like weeds. No one will pay a lot of money for weeds. A lot of us give it away. It is also very very trendy.

reefcentral.com is the best place to go for a wide array of reading via searches.

I also would not recommend getting into salt water coral tanks (just fish are pretty easy though) without 2-3 months of research to
realize what a money pit you are getting into.  Think 1000-2000 dollars to setup a small tank and do it right for coral.

and then once set up you bug randy with really boring questions about alkalinity and lowering phosphate. heh.
RandyFolds

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 04:38:04 AM

Well the connection to using a lot of power is changing with LEDs now days. Most of us still run metal halide or T5. I have a 6 bulb T5 setup

Some coral grows slow. Some are like weeds. No one will pay a lot of money for weeds. A lot of us give it away. It is also very very trendy.

reefcentral.com is the best place to go for a wide array of reading via searches.

I also would not recommend getting into salt water coral tanks (just fish are pretty easy though) without 2-3 months of research to
realize what a money pit you are getting into.  Think 1000-2000 dollars to setup a small tank and do it right for coral.

and then once set up you bug randy with really boring questions about alkalinity and lowering phosphate. heh.

No no no. You've got me confused with Randy Holmes-Farley. He's the chemistry guru. I am Randy Folds on ReefCentral...but I am a marine biologist and own an aquarium service, so I like to think I know a fair amount about coral propagation.
phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 04:38:21 AM

I've got a 26W PAR38 LED that throws out insane PAR.  LED's are the way to go if you can stomach the initial cost.
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 04:40:07 AM

No no no. You've got me confused with Randy Holmes-Farley. He's the chemistry guru. I am Randy Folds on ReefCentral...but I am a marine biologist and own an aquarium service, so I like to think I know a fair amount about coral propagation.

DOH. Sorry about that.
Still, nice to see reefcentral members around bitcoin!
SMOKEU

Activity: 495
Merit: 10

📱 CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DAP

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 05:12:13 AM

I'm mining at a loss at the moment, but I still mine because my computer acts as a nice heater. Unfortunately summer is just a couple of months away so I'll have to give up mining then unless there is a dramatic increase in the value of BTC to justify the cost of running the rig + air con.

██████████████  CARTESI 📱 LINUX INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SCALABLE DAPPS  ██████████████
█▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇█
Fjordbit

Activity: 588

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2011, 06:33:40 AM

Many predicted a lot of miners would leave around $5, some quitting completely, some resorting to buying BTC at the lower prices.

It doesn't seem to me any of this is happening (yet?). The price has been around $5 for 2 days now.

Thoughts?

I'm mining and my cutoff for my server at the current difficulty is at $3.99. I'll actually mine a little below that, but at that point, I might as well be saving the electricity and buying btc directly. At a certain point, I would end up selling the cards.
Chucksta

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 07:17:18 AM

I like it... Bitcoin farm as a power consumption cover for ganga farming, nice Smiley

no no no, be gone ganga demon, with your bad bad bad influence !!
Smiley
Striker

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 08:25:27 AM

Hi,

I get electricity @ ~$.074/KWh, so I have no problem mining and keeping profitable for a long time (until we hit about $2/BTC at current difficulty).

Wow !!! I get energy @ 0.15 € / KWh and  this is in a industrial facility where I have to pay an extra for the rent space.
Actuall cost is around the owner pays is around 0.09€ KWh during peak hours and 0.06 KWh at night.
With the renting of the space my costs rise to 0.15€ KWh.

Can tell us where do you get those prices Huh
If not in public can you at least pm me ?

Regards.
drgr33n

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 12:57:35 PM

lol looks like I've got some people thinking Cheesy Funny how a random post can spark such a random convo lol !! Loving the coral grows they look awesome !! I'm in no way a ganja farmer but I have roots in the hydroponics industry and worked in a hydroponics store for about five years Wink

Do you guys using the LED lamps rate them ? I sort of followed them back in 2005/6 when they were starting to appear on the market. The main problems they had was cooling and being LED apparently they tend to be a bit monochromatic ? I attended the hydro expo this year and saw some interesting designs though due to come out on the market this year Cheesy Water cooled LED systems was one impressive display. I also like the look of these sulfur plasma lighting kits. I saw two being offered to retailers this year, one was pretty poor and one looked awesome !!

The bad one ran really hot and the guy selling the thing just didn't seem to know what he was talking about. The better designed one looked much more tidy, and lots cooler. Trouble is apparently the lack the red light needed to flower cannabis Cheesy
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 03:44:13 PM

LED lamps:

too expensive, price will come down.
many are poorly designed and lack of customization options, that is why DIY is still popular.
pretty darn butt ugly hanging above a tank in many cases compared to ATI T5 for example.
buying now means you are stuck with a model that may very well be improved in many ways in the next 1-3 years.
resale value will be poor as price comes down leaving you with undesirable older model.

but that is just my opinion. i still prefer ATI kits and bulbs. proven track record and stylish.
eventually i will go LED in the future.
RandyFolds

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 08:17:23 PM

LED lamps:

many are poorly designed and lack of customization options, that is why DIY is still popular.
pretty darn butt ugly hanging above a tank in many cases compared to ATI T5 for example.
buying now means you are stuck with a model that may very well be improved in many ways in the next 1-3 years.
resale value will be poor as price comes down leaving you with undesirable older model.

but that is just my opinion. i still prefer ATI kits and bulbs. proven track record and stylish.

I tend to agree with this assessment. LEDs on the whole, aren't there yet, especially for marijuana. I have never seen a halfway decent bud flowered out of LED, but they're fine for cloning and small scale vegging, especially if you are in a tight space.

Plasma lights might fly for ganj, but their spectral output is totally wrong for aquaria. I am curious to see where that technology leads, cause it has some serious potential.
Swishercutter

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 08:51:49 PM

LED lamps:

Yep...too expensive...a few years ago I looked into commercially building some using Cree 1W LED's (blue and red).  The main problem is that the LED's are like $3+/bulb and you need about 100 to make a 400W equivalent. 

Basically, the main benefit of the LED's is that you are only creating the spectrum that the plants use...they appear green because they reflect the green light, so the solution is to not produce the green spectrum at all.  A properly tuned LED system should make the plants appear close to black (right?).  Also, you can put them a lot closer to your plants than HID/HPS.

The directional nature of LED lighting and low power usage per lumen is another huge benefit...I would only use them if power consumption, space, bulb life or heat was a major concern.

If I were to do anything in the indoor horticulture field I would probably use a combination of the increased blue/red spectrum HID's to get a gain in the "useful" spectrum.

I have heard good things about the T5's.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: