Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 08:37:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost OTP's through Google Authenticator app  (Read 1414 times)
rilesbriles (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 11:25:09 PM

Hi I recently updated my phone and had all of my apps erased therefore erasing my google authenticator app which contained my various bitcoin wallet OTP's. I reinstalled the app thinking it would reverify my phone no problem and bring back up my OTP's but now it's just blank. When I used to use the Authy app it was able to do this no problem. Is there any thing I can do?? This is scaring me to death!
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2014, 01:27:57 AM

Good websites will tell you to save your OTP keys somewhere safe... you'll probably have to go through extra reverification on each site.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:21:31 AM

Hi I recently updated my phone and had all of my apps erased therefore erasing my google authenticator app which contained my various bitcoin wallet OTP's. I reinstalled the app thinking it would reverify my phone no problem and bring back up my OTP's but now it's just blank. When I used to use the Authy app it was able to do this no problem. Is there any thing I can do?? This is scaring me to death!

You are scaring me to death. I have google authenticator on my iPhone. So if I lose my iphone or have to reinstall GA, I can't access the sites anymore???

How do you about backing them up to somewhere else?
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2014, 04:39:44 AM

Copy the secret keys down when they are first shown to you, or login immediately on all sites and get or request the keys from them.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:09:37 AM

Copy the secret keys down when they are first shown to you, or login immediately on all sites and get or request the keys from them.

Thanks dude.  Yeah I remember writing the secret key down for Bitstamp, rings a bell now, will do for the other couple of sites immediately.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:27:29 AM

Written my secret keys down and backed them up. Certainly easier than going through this:

http://cadince.com/trying-to-extract-google-authenticator-keys-from-ios-backups/
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 05:54:19 AM

Why'd you leave authy?

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:58:20 AM

Why'd you leave authy?

I've never heard of that. Is it better than Google Authenticator?
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 06:03:24 AM

Why'd you leave authy?

A bit, it backups the keys. Google doesn't let you or even tell you they'll disappear. To switch I had to go into the Google sqlite db

CryptKeeper
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:06:52 AM

Thanks for the reminder, I am using the authenticator a lot, will do backups immediately!

Follow me on twitter! I'm a private Bitcoin and altcoin hodler. Giving away crypto for free on my Twitter feed!
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:12:06 AM

Why'd you leave authy?

A bit, it backups the keys. Google doesn't let you or even tell you they'll disappear. To switch I had to go into the Google sqlite db

Yeah, just downloaded it. Like the backup feature, and the fact you can bluetooth tokens instead of having to type them, lol

How to switch current accounts over to authy though? Is that the "go into the Google sqlite db" part, sounds "ouchy" Smiley
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:28:42 AM

Ah ok, moving accounts over is not a problem. You just go in and rescan them again from authy. OK for me because I only have a few 2fa accounts at present.

Feel alot safer now using 2fa with the backup thing in place. thanks bitpop
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 03:39:06 PM

Ah ok, moving accounts over is not a problem. You just go in and rescan them again from authy. OK for me because I only have a few 2fa accounts at present.

Cool, I did it the hard way lol

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:46:39 PM

Cool, I did it the hard way lol

Nah, you just enjoy playing with sql Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: