Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 05:55:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it still possible to solo mine a block?  (Read 2655 times)
Stevets (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 01:11:47 AM

[Edit: I am also new to this forum. I should probably have posted on a sub category]

This is my first post here and I am new to Bitcoin. I have been doing a lot of reading in the past week and have not been able to find the answer to a question that I have.

First of all I have an old computer with a Nvidia in it which gets about 40M hashes. Before you laugh I am just figuring out how to set stuff up and do not expect this thing to do much but waste power.

My question is this: Is it theoretically possible, even if extremely unlikely, that a setup like this can solve a block? More precisely - is every hash just a random guess and is each guess just as (un)likely to be a correct one?

If the answer is yes then what are the odds of a guess being correct? I have heard things like "at the current difficulty it would take 10,000 years..." But I would like to know "at the current difficulty a hash has the probability of 1 in a billion to be correct". Are the odds worse than, say, Powerball?
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 01:24:23 AM

Theoretically, that is possible.

What are the odds of winning the lottery with just six numbers?

The odds of solving the block by yourself are

many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many,

times lower.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
Stevets (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 01:30:09 AM

The odds of winning the Powerball are something around 1 in 176 million which is only slightly better than me guessing your phone number. The odds of a hash solving a block are worse? Do you know what those odds are? I have done a lot of googling and I just get conflicting answers.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:58:31 AM

I believe it is your hash rate divided by total hash rate.   So if my math is correct it is 0.000000269% per block or 0.000045% percent chance per day.

Which is on average slightly more than once every 10,000 years if difficulty remained constant as of today.  Which it won't.

Suffice to say you should not expect to solve a block solo mining.
iglasses
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:49:05 AM

The odds are 50/50
You either solve a block or you don't.

I only have a signature because I'm allowed.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:51:03 AM

Definitely not 50/50, no I doubt anyone can solo mine unless they have the latest ASICs in clusters.
Stevets (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 02:21:55 PM

Thanks. I did yet more googling and came up with some links to help answer my question.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=156918.0
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Target

The answer to my question is right there in the second link: It's important to realize that block generation is not a long, set problem (like doing a million hashes), but more like a lottery. Each hash basically gives you a random number between 0 and the maximum value of a 256-bit number (which is huge). If your hash is below the target, then you win. If not, you increment the nonce (completely changing the hash) and try again..
iglasses
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 02:23:47 PM

Definitely not 50/50, no I doubt anyone can solo mine unless they have the latest ASICs in clusters.

My mistake...next time I will remember to turn on my sarcasm font!

joele
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 02:37:59 PM

It's like winning the lottery. You may solve the block today or tomorrow or next week, or next 100 years.
FlyForFun

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:09:06 PM

[Edit: I am also new to this forum. I should probably have posted on a sub category]

This is my first post here and I am new to Bitcoin. I have been doing a lot of reading in the past week and have not been able to find the answer to a question that I have.

First of all I have an old computer with a Nvidia in it which gets about 40M hashes. Before you laugh I am just figuring out how to set stuff up and do not expect this thing to do much but waste power.

My question is this: Is it theoretically possible, even if extremely unlikely, that a setup like this can solve a block? More precisely - is every hash just a random guess and is each guess just as (un)likely to be a correct one?

If the answer is yes then what are the odds of a guess being correct? I have heard things like "at the current difficulty it would take 10,000 years..." But I would like to know "at the current difficulty a hash has the probability of 1 in a billion to be correct". Are the odds worse than, say, Powerball?

Anything is possible my friend. Just don't do it please Smiley

nytrolic

Activity: 165

The World’s First Blockchain Core

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:34:51 PM

Current Difficulty: 1,789,546,951

Your Hashrate: 40mhs

Average generation time for a block (solo): 6093 years, 26 days

http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■        SKYNET        ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
Whitepaper   Bounty   Bitcointalk  ■  Facebook   Twitter   Telegram
FlyForFun

Activity: 243

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:53:30 PM

Your calculation didn't take into account future difficulty increment. So it should be 100000 years...

bitbox

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:37:00 AM

Your calculation didn't take into account future difficulty increment. So it should be 100000 years...

Yep, sounds about right. Don't even try to solo mine BTC.
lnternet

Activity: 299
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:42:51 AM

just double your hardware 20 times in a row and you'll mine a block every other day

1ntemetqbXokPSSkuHH4iuAJRTQMP6uJ9
Walking Glitch

Activity: 252

Amateur Professional

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:59:33 AM

Instead of all these explanations about profitability, I'll just answer: Yes, theoretically you can.
bit.alex

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:53:49 PM

I personally would rather buy a lottery ticket. It's easier.
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 12:59:48 PM

Instead of all these explanations about profitability, I'll just answer: Yes, theoretically you can.
Good answer, to the point.

Yes, it is possible to mine a block yourself going solo. Every nonce has the same chance of finding a block, its just that the more nonces you can try in any given time increases your attempts at finding a block and therefore the greater chance of finding a block sooner.

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
h3rlihy

Activity: 356

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:10:42 PM

It's theoretically possible but statistically unlikely.
9187dow

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:24:42 PM

Hi how do one solomine?
iglasses
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 04:51:43 PM

Hi how do one solomine?

You just mine not using a pool. There are some good docs on here about how to config ur equipment.  I believe you need to be running a wallet while you mine but that is the only difference.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: