Bitcoin Forum
August 04, 2024, 12:19:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Network Experts in the House? Need help with my Antminer S1  (Read 2765 times)
biggzi (OP)

Activity: 543
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 11:50:13 PM

Right I am trying to get my S1 working on my network but I’m a bit stuck so looking for advice.

My S1 came with the default ip of: 192.168.1.99 so on my home router it was nice and simple. Set my pool details and my S1 and it was away mining! Simples.

Anyway, I’m trying to set the same S1 up within my network.  We have a Windows 2008 sever acting as the DHCP.

My DHCP sever is on 172.16.100.x

So to start with I set a reservation on the sever for 172.16.100.250

I then set the WAN settings on my S1 to 172.16.100.250 with a default gateway of 172.16.100.1

I left the LAN settings as DHCP

Now I can connect to my S1 through 172.16.100.250 fine.  The WAN link is up and sending/receiving packets.

Unfortunately the LAN link is down. I have checked on the sever and no IP has been leased by the DHCP for the LAN link on the miner.

Can I set the LAN link to static? If so any suggestions on what range to use? I'm sure I read somewhere that they can't be on the same subnet or something?

Also, I have set a traffic rule on our firewall to allow 172.16.100.250 unrestricted access to the internet. Do I also need to specify a specific port?

Any advice is greatly appreciated cus at the moment I just have a very expensive flashing box :-D
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 12:06:41 AM

Ask here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=355387

ujka

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:17:24 AM

Connect S1 to your network (not to the server directly) with the LAN port. LAN port is configured as DHCP client, and it will get an IP from your server. Note that IP and connect to it with a browser. Go to Network tab, then WAN, change protocol to DHCP client. Save. Disconnect LAN port, connect WAN.
S1 is now configured to your network. And any other network with a DHCP server you move to.

More in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=344970.msg4624117#msg4624117
biggzi (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:56:27 AM

Connect S1 to your network (not to the server directly) with the LAN port. LAN port is configured as DHCP client, and it will get an IP from your server. Note that IP and connect to it with a browser. Go to Network tab, then WAN, change protocol to DHCP client. Save. Disconnect LAN port, connect WAN.
S1 is now configured to your network. And any other network with a DHCP server you move to.

More in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=344970.msg4624117#msg4624117

Wow that worked! Well Kinda... Cant believe the solution was so simple!

Set WAN to DHCP
Run Angry IP Scanner
Found new IP address
Logged in to my S1 and its hashing away!

Out of interest any idea why I can't have a static IP on the WAN? Save me having to scan for the IP every time the lease expires?

Thanks again ujka  Wink
ujka

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:24:40 AM

You don't need to scan for leased IP, just look at your DHCP server what IP is given to S1.
In your DHCP server, you can make the lease last longer. Or better, change there the lease for your S1 MAC address to 'static'. That way it will always get the same IP.

You can have static IP - but with dynamic allocation (DHCP client setting) the S1 gets not only IP, but also all other data needed for network to function (network mask, gateway, dns). And that will work on every network with DHCP server you move your S1 to.

With static IP, you need to enter all that addresses yourself.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 11:54:38 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 12:18:18 PM by Gator-hex

You don't set it up on the WAN, you set it up on the LAN.

[pool] - WAN (Internet IP address) - [Router (the default gateway address)] - LAN (Local IP Address) - [Miner]

if you go to a PC that has internet access

Click the windows/start icon
type "cmd" or you should find it in accessories > command prompt
type "ipconfing"
it should then show you the local IP settings your PC is using.

You should see something like this..

Code:
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : config
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

These are the settings you need to manual set your IP address.

Obviously don't use an IP4 address already in use "64" and "254" in this case.
If you have DHCP active on the Router I'd choose a high number just below the Gateway address so it's the last address on the LAN

Turn DHCP off on your mining box and manually enter something like this...

Code:
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.253
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Now your miner will always have the IP address on 192.168.1.253

I am a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer.  Wink

ujka

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:08:38 PM

You mean like:

[pool] <---> [WAN (router) LAN] <---> [LAN (miner)]

Yes, even simplier setup.
I don't own a S1, and everybody are talking about connenting WAN to pool, so I was thinking that miner OUT interface is only on WAN port.

LAN port setup is simplier, it's already configured to DHCP, no need to enter anything manually.

If you want same IP for your miner, DHCP server can take care of that. First, it will renew the lease with the same IP, only if miner do not accept that it will offer new one.

I'm a network administrator  Wink
biggzi (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:28:34 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

If you read above I did have the WAN setup to static and had an IP address of 172.16.100.250

I could use the address to access the miner config over my network fine so this was working.  But it was not mining.

It only started mining when I set the WAN to DHCP.

I think we can ignore the LAN as this was not connected before and apparently still not connected but it is hashing away. On my interface overview LAN has 0 mins uptime. So lets forget LAN.

TBH its working and that's all that matters.  Oh and the reason I had to use an IP scanner was cus on my DHCP server it doesn't show the antminers host name.  Even the IP scanner didn't show the host name but it did allow me to see what IPs were active so I just went through 1 by 1 till i found my antminer  Smiley

It just appears like it doesn't want to mine if I set the IP address to static. Oh well like you said if when the lease expires it retains the same IP it will be fine. Any advice on how to extend the lease, when I right click on it in server manager it only gives me the option to delete.

Thanks again guys.
palawan

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:40:06 AM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 08:21:54 AM by palawan

Thanks for the advice guys.

If you read above I did have the WAN setup to static and had an IP address of 172.16.100.250

I could use the address to access the miner config over my network fine so this was working.  But it was not mining.

It only started mining when I set the WAN to DHCP.

I think we can ignore the LAN as this was not connected before and apparently still not connected but it is hashing away. On my interface overview LAN has 0 mins uptime. So lets forget LAN.

TBH its working and that's all that matters.  Oh and the reason I had to use an IP scanner was cus on my DHCP server it doesn't show the antminers host name.  Even the IP scanner didn't show the host name but it did allow me to see what IPs were active so I just went through 1 by 1 till i found my antminer  Smiley

It just appears like it doesn't want to mine if I set the IP address to static. Oh well like you said if when the lease expires it retains the same IP it will be fine. Any advice on how to extend the lease, when I right click on it in server manager it only gives me the option to delete.

Thanks again guys.

That's what I get for not reading all the posts in a short thread...  A foot in my mouth, lol.   I've deleted my previous post.  Useless drivel...  I don't think your IP default gateway is 172.16.100.1, are you sure?

Anyway, now that you have it working on DHCP, you can ssh to the miner and check some settings, if you have time...

Code:
ifconfig eth1
netstat -rn
cat /tmp/resolv.conf.auto

First command should give you the IP address and subnet mask.  Second command should give you the ip default gateway for  0.0.0.0, and third command (at least in my case) should display the DNS server address.

Code:
cat /etc/config/network

Above ^^^  command has all my network settings but I have static so I don't know if DHCP will display same info.

Good luck and hope you get it resolved.  Smiley

PS:  lan seems to be useless.  I don't see any physical lan port.  Only wan and wifi.

halu
Hache

Activity: 36
Merit: 5

CEO - Krater.io

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 10:50:35 PM

Hi, anyone knows if it's possible to connect two Antminers S1 bridging over LAN? I mean, I have one Antminer with WiFi Antenna connected to my router and I would like the second one to connect with a CAT5 cable to the first Antminer.

Could that work? I have seen that one can bridge interfaces and one can create a DHCP server on the WWAN interface... but I don't feel like bricking my device, therefore if anybody knows if it's possible, great, otherwise I'll just buy another WiFi Antenna Smiley

Krater.io helps Data Centers to better monetize their infrastructure through automation, invoicing and payments processing
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: