Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:41:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 93 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it risky to buy not top 100 crypto currencies?  (Read 8774 times)
NikoF (OP)

Activity: 130
Merit: 8

”Decentralized Digital Billboards”

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2018, 12:16:45 AM

Hey what do you think, is it risky to buy crypto currencies that are not top 100? I mean do you have a higher chance to lose your money or not?

https://bidooh.io/ ▸▸  Decentralized Digital Billboards
Backed by OKEx & Director of Manchester United    ●●
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BQ

Activity: 616
Merit: 53

CoinMetro - the future of exchanges

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 12:21:16 AM
Last edit: May 26, 2018, 12:34:57 AM by BQ
Merited by dupee419 (1), UNOE (1)

Generally, you're better off investing in a more established choice, in terms of safety, of course.
However, every project started somewhere, and most top 100 coins weren't in the top 100 when they started.

Simply put, you could assume a newer project has a higher risk of failure, and thus higher risk of losing your investment.
But, assuming you invest in a useful project, and it succeeds, you've got a higher return.

There's plenty of great projects that are out of top 100, and I personally invest primarily in those.
However, you must ensure that you take the time to research the projects you consider investing in!
You can read this thread for some general tips on what to look for.

While I personally believe crypto is far, far from it's end point, we can still safely say that Bitcoin going to 100k/bitcoin would be huge, considering it'd likely drive the entire market with it and therefore the entire market cap would 10x.
At the same time, a much smaller and newer project, could 10x without it barely affecting more than a 0.01% of the market, potentially.

However, avoid going too low, since projects with very little volume are easily manipulated.

Also consider that a $1,000 investment in Bitcoin, and it somehow manages to surge to 100k each, would still 'only' give you $10k.
$1,000 in a small project however, could surely end up giving you $50,000 if it's done well.
(although some believe those times are over).

The further you go from the top, the more 'dangerous' it becomes, there's constant shilling around many small and new projects.
You are in charge of your money, and it's up to you how far you'll dig into a project before you invest in it.
If you have time and patience and truly find some great projects, then you should invest in those.
However, if you don't, you might be better off investing in one of the top coins.
(although many of those aren't really worth to be there in my personal opinion).
There's no guarantee any coins on top 100 will stay there.

Crypto is volatile, and % gains that could happen in a year on the stock market, could happen over night in crypto.
This also works in the other direction(loss).

So, simply put, if you want a safer crypto investment, go with top coins(Bitcoin/ETH/Monero I'd say).
You can still lose, but it's not the same risks that applies to smaller coins.

And, don't let someone tell you what to invest in - you can hear of projects, but still, make sure you read!
(again, some tips in the thread I linked earlier)  Cheesy

Final note, even if a great project is out of top 100, it could be a very limited use case.
If you find a great project in an early stage, it could very well give you 50x on your investment, without ever entering the top 100.
What matters is the market cap, if it goes from $1m to $10m, that's 10x - although with such a very small market cap, it's still a very, very risky investment since likely someone is in control of a large amount of the coin, or it's an easy target for a 'pump and dump' - however, case is still valid - it's 10x your money, while still being far from top 100. With such a small market cap, there's likely very few people there to buy from you aswell.

In my opinion, many projects are severely overvaluated currently. There are so many projects valued at hundreds of millions of dollars, for no apparent reason.
Be careful and make sure you invest into something valued, because who knows when the purge will come (it bubble).
There are many great projects outside of the top 100's that I'm certain will one day enter the top 100, however, in general, these projects are in early stages and therefore, it's waiting involved.

To summarize, if there were some clear ways to gain money, everyone would be doing it.
The market is bleeding and has been for a while.
There are still projects that has increased, 50%, 100%, 200%, just in the past days.
There are plenty of projects that will increase 500%, 1000%, 2000% in the soon future.
It's up to you to find them.
There's also plenty of projects that will only continue losing value.
It's up to you to avoid them.

High risk, high reward!

5 EUR free crypto on signup! XCM exchange token ⚜⚜⚜  CoinMetro - Copy Trading - Margin - 0% maker fee  ⚜⚜⚜ - generate €500 volume in July for a chance to win €100!
Palider

Activity: 1273
Merit: 507

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 12:28:08 AM

Hey what do you think, is it risky to buy crypto currencies that are not top 100? I mean do you have a higher chance to lose your money or not?

It is risky to invest existing coin which is not in the top 100 because you cant be sure whether they can still increase in price, however if you want to risk then invest to and ICO and buy during pre-sale so that you'll get a lot of bonus, but beware of ICO there are  alot of scams ICO out there.
jimimcome907620

Activity: 397
Merit: 250

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 01:02:17 AM

I think it is. They may be not so good as we can make in the other coins. We have a higer risk to lose our moeny with the not so reliable coins so you need to be careful.

ResuLT

Activity: 294
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 01:07:20 AM

Definitely, but, in the other way, you can earn more money than you usually make. Look at Cryptopia exchange, it has a lot of shitcoin but it can gain up to 5000% for a coin, but the risk is you have to be fast to sell in profit you wanted to make or you can expect for the price that cannot make you happy (you know what I mean)
MinerHQ
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1023

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 01:14:08 AM

Nothing to do with top 100 or not but you need to look at the project features and which team or person behind the project. Because at the beginning most of the projects will not be in top position but it takes time to gain the attention from investors. So if you recognise the project potential much early then you can make a lot for the money. If you can't research for some reason then always good to go with top few coins, not top 100 coins.
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 01:24:47 AM

Risk is commensurate with reward.  The more risky something is the more potential for reward or loss is.  Having said that, if you only put a small part of your portfolio in lowcap coins you can reap huge rewards.

I have had great luck with hunting these gems.  It hasn't made me a lot of money but I can turn .01 BTC into .03 BTC in a few days with some of these coins.  Yes those are small numbers but some of these coins have market capitalizations under 1,000,000 and trading too many at once could have a negative impact on that market.

And yes I have gone from .01 BTC to .005 or worse BTC too.
skylar

Activity: 434
Merit: 104

Esport Ecosystem

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 01:44:33 AM

yes it is to risky to make investment on it, but sometimes it can give us huge reward. the not top 100 cmc list, especially the brand new coin are still have plenty room to grow. but before make investment on it, make sure that we have to look up into how active they are in their communities, their developer, social media activities. sometimes I make investment on it, but for a brand new one and not for coin that more than 1 years of age.
bobo012

Activity: 714
Merit: 257

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 01:47:05 AM

It is as risky as buying altcoins that are in the top 100 list on coinmarketcap. it can be risky but it can bring you good gains. I would say they are the same as every other alts
aussiesloth

Activity: 266
Merit: 41

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 01:48:37 AM

Risky? Yes. Too risky? It all depends on your risk-reward comfort levels, PLUS your knowledge and ability to both read the market and understand whether coins outside the top 100 are still in a growth phase, simply undervalued, or never going to get anywhere.

Remember, if there are 200 quality crypto in the entire market, there can still only be 100 in the top 100 (pretty obvious).  And come currently in the top 100 may not be truly worthy of their place there in the future.
CryptoMao

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 01:55:02 AM

Buying a top 20 coin isn't a guarantee for success either. Bitconnect was a top 20 coin even though we all know what happened with that. If you trust the team and the product then i'd say there's more upside to buying a coin outside the top 100 with the same amount of risk.
Memenya

Activity: 238

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 02:36:47 AM

Actually all type cryptocurrency is risky though they are top of 100 or not because all remain risky.
However, not top 100 in marketcap have more risk compare with top 100 market. So all depending on our choice to 100 or not.
fransxavariustintin

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 03:01:25 AM

I think the top 100 coins have struggled to grow from scratch, they appear unrecognized then they start to be known, the coins that come out of the list of 100 have hopes and chances to grow into big coins, there's no reason to be afraid to invest in coins.
Bit talk

Activity: 154
Merit: 6

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 03:29:42 AM

No in 100 crypto currencies have risk and after 100 coins have good coins so its depended by your know about coin which one you select for investment so if you select good coins then you will get good profits
limtjoehua

Activity: 216

Best solution for smart cities

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 03:33:20 AM

not entirely true and sometimes there are coins in the rank under 100 with a low market cap, but he can give a high profit. so this is still based on the results of our research and luck.

━━━       CitiOS       ━━━     
━━━━━━━━━━━━━ Best Solution for Smart Cities | Monetize the True Potential of Smart Cities ━━━━━━━━━━━━━
  ● Telegram    ● Twitter    ● Facebook    ● Medium    ● Reddit    ● Whitepaper
Gr4yF4ng

Activity: 57

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 03:41:25 AM

No it's not, provided you did your research. You want to look at the following, among other things, when investing in cryptos outside the top 100 (remember that even top 100 has some really scammy/dubious cryptos)

- The quality of the team: AKA, are there any notable people that have already had a distinguished career in the field, and do they have a strong academic background?
- Roadmap: Is the crypto's roadmap reasonable and not too long or too short? Have they had trouble sticking to schedule in the past?
- Use case: Is the token or coin really valuable? Is the token needed for the product to work? Does the token give good value to the holders?

These three are the most important things to consider IMO. The token Ambrosus for example passes all three tests really well.
CAPT.DEADPOOL

Activity: 854
Merit: 102

PHORE

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 03:44:56 AM

I think it's not risky to buy altcoins that are not in the top 100 because others make it a way to make their project better and better with other exchangers that are well-known and know your other altcoins and just sleeping but when it comes to a beautiful partnership sure increases their price

gilangIDR
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 03:45:38 AM

Opportunities for losses are enormous because coins that are outside the big 100 have not had a good level of confidence, it is the main cause that the price of the coin can decline very drastically and is difficult to develop. But the other side that the coin can experience the pumping done by the developer coin, it certainly can make us get extraordinary profits. But again that is a speculation and everything can happen. Choose according to circumstances and I am sure that you can choose the best.
boakyei

Activity: 358
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2018, 03:52:01 AM

Not all that risky to buy alternative currency that is not part of top 100 cryptocurrencies. Imagine those of the top five was once below top 100 coins. In such a case you need a discretion to determine if the coins that is below the top 100 coins has the capacity to rise to the top, then that is the opportunity to make money from it by buying it low and later sell it high.

deathland113

Activity: 242
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 03:56:06 AM

No, it isn't. Many good projects still undervalue and under ICO price too.
that's chance for you to grab some cheap one. just make sure you know about the thing you buy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 93 »
  Print  

Jump to: