Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 02:44:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is a bubble - Nobel Laureate in Economics  (Read 3935 times)
CryptoCurrencyInc.com (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:10:37 PM

Bitcoin is a bubble - Nobel Laureate in Economics

Robert Shiller, 2013 Nobel Prize winner in Economics, and an expert in the nature of market excesses, has come down on bitcoin and said that the tremendous jump of the virtual currency was a 100 percent bonified “bubble”.

"It is a bubble, there is no question about it.... It's just an amazing example of a bubble," the Business Insider quotes Shiller, talking to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

http://rt.com/business/bitcoin-shiller-bubble-davos-127/

╓▄▌██P                   
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                     
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                       
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                       
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                         
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                           
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                             
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                               
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                 
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:12:20 PM

He can go fuck himself
kaysersoze

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:20:02 PM

It's great for a couple of reasons,

1. first read this book - http://www.amazon.com/Expert-Political-Judgment-Good-Know/dp/0691128715/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389427054&sr=8-1&keywords=expert+political+judgment

2. Every major technological breakthrough is always in the beginning very polarizing phenomena

3. Ask him when he ever in his life invented something or had a vision about any technological disruption that changed the world.

4. IF every single " expert" ( in this case false) would think BTC is what we think then I would be more worried as a historical reference

Problem with all these economists is that they are ECONOMISTS.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4060
Merit: 1303

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:20:14 PM

Just remember the Nobel in Economics is a fake one.

By the way, I am creating, for 2014, "The Nobel Memorial Prize in Cryptological and Computational Sciences" (officially called the First Bank Prize in Cryptological and Computational Sciences in Member of Alfred Nobel), with the winner for 2014 to be determined by my committee and the main contenders for the 2014 prize being Satoshi Nakamoto, Alan Turing, Grace Hopper, Kurt Godel, Marvin Minsky, and John von Neumann.

The first winner will be announced on the same day as the other Nobels.

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 03:21:15 PM

But didn't the Bitcoin "bubble" burst 2 or 3 times already and still surge back up?

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:32:38 PM

Economists are never going to accept Bitcoin any more than buggy whip makers accepted the automobile.

They only have a profession at all in a world in which governments control the money. A Bitcoin world means their experience and their fancy degrees might qualify them for a job flipping burgers, assuming that job hasn't already been given to robots by then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvebxYILfZQ#t=9m5s
angrynerd88

Activity: 910
Merit: 253

Hodlers Network

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:48:25 PM

i agree with that guy, bitcoin is a bubble, obviously, noone needs bitcoin, people have already their money so why to change investing in something dubious which does the same (but with GREAT volatility in their savings!) some years in the future we will look back and laugh at bictoin mania...question is: how much still? i think it is still enough time to invest and profit, this is why i am here.
I think that bitcoin is now more like gambling for people than a real coin

FenixRD

Activity: 364

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 04:28:54 PM

By the way, I am creating, for 2014, "The Nobel Memorial Prize in Cryptological and Computational Sciences" (officially called the First Bank Prize in Cryptological and Computational Sciences in Member of Alfred Nobel), with the winner for 2014 to be determined by my committee and the main contenders for the 2014 prize being Satoshi Nakamoto, Alan Turing, Grace Hopper, Kurt Godel, Marvin Minsky, and John von Neumann.

Exactly.

1. There is no Nobel prize in economics.

2. Negating any importance of even the concept: the Nobel in peace was awarded to the man featured in this graphic:

http://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/TBIJ-Infographic-Obama-3001.jpg

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 04:31:58 PM

He can go fuck himself
This.
bitjoint

Activity: 333

Commander of the Hodl Legions

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 04:36:37 PM

Just like the whole internet...

If a nobel says it, it is true. word.
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1117
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 05:03:22 PM

Look! Bitcoin is not a bubble!!!

Tongue

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
CryptoCurrencyInc.com (OP)

Activity: 476

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 07:52:32 PM

Why bitcoin could fail

Every few years the world of technology witnesses a revolution, the next big development with the potential to change how we function and to spawn a highly profitable new industry. There's been the explosion of personal computers, followed by the Internet, smartphones, tablets, cloud computing, and other large and small disruptive technologies. The latest such game-changer seems to be the arrival of virtual currencies, personified by the biggest player in that arena: bitcoin.

On the surface, bitcoin seems like a great idea and maybe an inevitable one. Bitcoins (the actual units of this virtual currency) are a form of electronic money that can be traded directly between parties; do not require the physical backing of gold, dollars, or any other traditional store of value; and whose price is based on demand over a peer-to-peer network. That isn't that different from mainstream currencies -- since the abolition of the gold standard in the 1970s and the creation of floating exchange rates, even the U.S. Dollar functions mostly on the same principles.

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2014/01/24/why-bitcoin-could-fail/

╓▄▌██P                   
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                     
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                       
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                       
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                         
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                           
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                             
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                               
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                 
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 08:15:04 PM

"It is a bubble, there is no question about it.... It's just an amazing example of a bubble,"

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 09:16:58 PM

Economists are never going to accept Bitcoin any more than buggy whip makers accepted the automobile.

They only have a profession at all in a world in which governments control the money. A Bitcoin world means their experience and their fancy degrees might qualify them for a job flipping burgers, assuming that job hasn't already been given to robots by then.

I have one of those fancy degrees, and I'm obviously a huge bitcoin proponent.

Academics have a few predictable issues with bitcoin:

1) The whole idea of the Fed and central banking is academically elegant. It's a really nice idea to be able to tweak constants in the economy in order to maximize employment, etc. The fact that it's ultimately a small organization acting on imperfect information, subject to both political pressure and human failure, is ultimately an implementation detail in an academic's eye, and therefore irrelevant to overall validity of the idea. Bitcoin obviously takes all that away; arguably replacing it with inevitable and uncontrollable more frequent and medium-sized bubbles/panics. That's debatable, but that's how they'll see it, and they conclude that humanity can do better via properly implemented central banking. I disagree for the reasons alluded to, but that's the issue.

2) These guys are thinking of bitcoin as an 1800s style gold-standard, which was fraught with imperfect information, and a pretty non-fluid economy for many reasons. Humanity has never tested a monetary system with credibly perfect information available to all participants. Furthermore, in our electronic era where things like re-pricing can be done at the click of a button (or even programmatically with zero manual intervention), inelasticity in currency supply shouldn't matter nearly as much. But the lesson academics learned from the 1930s is that an elastic currency supply is necessary to stimulate an irrationally non-performing economy. I'd argue that given that structural framework of the economy of the 1930s, maybe that makes sense, but our current far more fluid, information-liquid economy is a different beast. People can rationally adjust much more quickly.

And as to generally calling bitcoin a bubble, it's hilarious to me how people just look at the absolute price per bitcoin and cry "bubble!" or "expensive!". If "1 bitcoin" meant "100,000 satoshis" instead of "100,000,000 satoshis", would they say the same thing (ie, the "price" would be $0.80/btc). The whole supply is only worth $10B no matter how you slice it. The M2 of a small nation like New Zealand is ~$70B. What do these guys think the total supply of the world's first truly global electronic currency should be?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
minerpart

Activity: 280

IIIIII====II====IIIIII

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 09:29:44 PM

By bubble he means the speed of the appreciation in the value of BTC has gone up excessively quickly. But many stocks show bubble-type 'explosions' in their short-term price-chart. You come back 2 years later and that bubble is now a small part of a larger chart.

This is a classic bubble chart:

Internet adoption from 1990-2005.

So some bubbles never pop. Global/mass-adoption tech usage is one of them.

You will see a similar chart for motorcars, televisions, PC's, smart-phones etc.

Could BTC be in a bubble-type state? Yes.
Should we be worried about the BTC bubble? No
Does it ever have to burst? No.
indiemax

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 09:45:45 PM

Love it Grin
godt

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 09:51:28 PM

+1
zachcope

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:36:19 PM

I have one of those fancy degrees, and I'm obviously a huge bitcoin proponent.

Academics have a few predictable issues with bitcoin:

1) The whole idea of the Fed and central banking is academically elegant. It's a really nice idea to be able to tweak constants in the economy in order to maximize employment, etc. The fact that it's ultimately a small organization acting on imperfect information, subject to both political pressure and human failure, is ultimately an implementation detail in an academic's eye, and therefore irrelevant to overall validity of the idea. Bitcoin obviously takes all that away; arguably replacing it with inevitable and uncontrollable more frequent and medium-sized bubbles/panics. That's debatable, but that's how they'll see it, and they conclude that humanity can do better via properly implemented central banking. I disagree for the reasons alluded to, but that's the issue.

2) These guys are thinking of bitcoin as an 1800s style gold-standard, which was fraught with imperfect information, and a pretty non-fluid economy for many reasons. Humanity has never tested a monetary system with credibly perfect information available to all participants. Furthermore, in our electronic era where things like re-pricing can be done at the click of a button (or even programmatically with zero manual intervention), inelasticity in currency supply shouldn't matter nearly as much. But the lesson academics learned from the 1930s is that an elastic currency supply is necessary to stimulate an irrationally non-performing economy. I'd argue that given that structural framework of the economy of the 1930s, maybe that makes sense, but our current far more fluid, information-liquid economy is a different beast. People can rationally adjust much more quickly.

And as to generally calling bitcoin a bubble, it's hilarious to me how people just look at the absolute price per bitcoin and cry "bubble!" or "expensive!". If "1 bitcoin" meant "100,000 satoshis" instead of "100,000,000 satoshis", would they say the same thing (ie, the "price" would be $0.80/btc). The whole supply is only worth $10B no matter how you slice it. The M2 of a small nation like New Zealand is ~$70B. What do these guys think the total supply of the world's first truly global electronic currency should be?

Great post.
It's strange how the economists have over complicated things to take in account phenomena that were only due to imperfect information and  inelasticity of currencies.

When I learnt about economics it was an elegant tale of Pacific Islanders trading coconuts and fish or something like that.
Supply, demand, imperfect markets, opportunity cost and the knowledge that change is constant are the only real economic building blocks. The rest is Keynsian nonsense trying to fit the facts after the event to justify their nonsense fat handed interventions.

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:45:07 PM

According to well respected voodoo scientists a.k.a. economists ; did  you guys know that the fair value of BTC is a  big, 0?

http://neweconomicperspectives.org/2013/12/fair-price-bitcoin-zero.html

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Deprecate

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:50:46 PM

Yeah just like the Internet is a bubble, what loser uses Internet nowadays right!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: