Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:32:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trading vs. Buy and Hold  (Read 1896 times)
Untitled01 (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 03:52:27 PM

Trading or HODL

The goal of most investors generally is to buy low and sell high. This can result in two quite different approaches to equity investing.

One approach is described as "trading." Trading involves following the short-term price fluctuations of different stocks closely and then trying to buy low and sell high. Traders usually decide ahead of time the percentage increase they're looking for before you sell (or decrease before they buy).

While trading has tremendous potential for immediate rewards, it also involves a fair share of risk because a stock may not recover from a downswing within the time frame you'd like—and may in fact drop further in price. In addition, frequent trading can be expensive, since every time you buy and sell, you may pay broker's fees for the transaction.

Be aware that trading should not be confused with "day trading," which is the rapid buying and selling of stock to capitalize on small price changes. Day trading can be extremely risky, especially if you attempt to day trade using borrowed money. Individual investors frequently lose money by trying to use this approach.

A very different investing strategy—called buy-and-hold—involves keeping an investment over an extended period, anticipating that the price will rise over time. While buy-and-hold reduces the money you pay in transaction fees and short-term capital gains taxes, it requires patience and careful decision-making. As a buy-and-hold investor, you generally choose tokens based on a company's long-term business prospects. Increases in the coin price over years tend to be based less on the volatile nature of the market's changing demands and more on what's known as the company's fundamentals, such as its earnings and sales, the expertise and vision of its management.

Such a strategy can be super profitable. Here are some examples:
  Spectrecoin  +48228%
  Neo  +90450%
  Ethereum  +95390%
  IOTA  +105505%
  NXT  +391776%
(data for the end of 2017)

And how do you think, share your views on the pros and cons of trading and long-term hold in the comments.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wasii

Activity: 80

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 04:24:41 PM

Holding definitely pay,  but if you know TA it's really a plus to it, as you gonna know when to opt out of your trade
rayk

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2018, 04:55:24 PM

If you are not a exceptional trader who makes lots of money by trading, holding is always better than trading in terms of profit, these examples prove that, it is impossible to make these gains by trading.
Tytanowy Janusz
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1622

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 05:07:20 PM
Last edit: May 26, 2018, 05:53:02 PM by Tytanowy Janusz
Merited by pawel7777 (1)

Trading or HODL

Spectrecoin  +48228%
  Neo  +90450%
  Ethereum  +95390%
  IOTA  +105505%
  NXT  +391776%

And how do you think, share your views on the pros and cons of trading and long-term hold in the comments.

This happend. You wont go back and buy etherum that low. Not all of coins do like that. Thats why when you invest and decide to hodl forever you risk more than daytrading. You risk all campital invested. Beacuse wrongly chose coin can turn out scam coin with no product. Many of coins never recover to ICO price. You cant show us 5 biggerst gainers from ICO to Now and tell us hodling is better. Chance to invest in 5 best is like in lottery.

Daytraders choose high volume coins with high variability. They jump into coin, set stoplos, grab even 0,5% profit and jump to other coin or the same 5 min after. They risk small % (when trade is not going well they cut looses to jump and earn istead of making it worst) of investment each trade. If trades are not profitable (summary of all) they can alwais stop, change strategy or stop at all (for example when my wallet will drop 10% after week of trading i give up and put everything into bitcoin)

That makes hodling riskier than daytrading.

Is it more profitable? For those who chose good coins it can be. For those who didnt for sure not. Hodler make 1 decission. When its wrong all capital is lost. Daytrader makes dozen of decision each day. And each decision gives him -1% - + 5% (depends on trader).

Current hodler (who buy today) will get totaly different gains that hodler who buy years ago. Is something jump 1000 times in few years it can jump 1000 times in next few or drop half of it or even all. You can't say hodling was better since now so since next few years it will too.

Those examples shows that it was better to hodl from 2012 to 2018. But it will never show that it is better to hodl from now to 2024.

Personaly i hold bitcoin. Daytrade it to increase its amount (with success) and also invest into altcoin deeps for 1-3 months grabing 10-200% gains. I think thats the safest way in todays market. I think that bitcoin price will remin stable for next few months (6-10k)

I'm definitly not person who read whitepaper and say - thats great project. Ill invest my money and hodl for years. Beacuse i know that whitepaper is just document with words that can be written and none of statement there will be delivered. I know that team can be faked. I know that currencies can be hacked (like verge). I know that product can not be delivered. I know that other project that is not on market yet can deliver the same product earlier or can jump on market with higher (payed) hype.

Take a look at Historical Snapshots from 2013 year. You will find many coins thats price is higher then today. Hodler that invest in them in 2013 lost. INVESTING IN CRYPTO IN 2013. When marketcap was dozen times smaller.

Accoring to wikipedia NXT was created without announcing any ICO (Initial coin offering) with total 1,000,000,000 coins amount. On 28 September 2013 Bitcointalk.org member BCNext created a forum thread announcing the proposed launch of Nxt as a second generation cryptocurrency and asking for small bitcoin donations to determine how to distribute the initial stake. On 18 November 2013 fundraising for Nxt was closed.[6] The genesis block was published on 24 November 2013.

That kind of risk you had to take to gain 390 000%. 1 coin for half satoshi from guy from forum who wrote - send me some bitcoins ill send you some coins. That was in 2013. When cryptocurrency investor was here only for technology. Visioners. And now in 2018 you are posting NXT as na example to proof that hodling is better.
demenBTC

Activity: 742
Merit: 251

PRIVATE FEDERATED BLOCKCHAIN

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 05:35:09 PM

holding a coin for the long term requires positive information for the foreseeable future, holding a coin has a high risk if we do not read a valid news source, but to five coins of your choice it has good prospects

██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀██████████
████████▀░▄██████████▄░▀████████
██████▀░████████▀▀▀█████░▀██████
█████░░███████▀░░░░██████░░█████
████░░██████▀░░▄██░███████░░████
███░░█████▀░░▄███░▄████████░░███
████████▀░░▄████░░██████████▀▀██
█░░░░██░░▄█████░░█████▀░░██░░░░█
██████████████░░████▀░░▄████▄▄██
███░░████████▀░███▀░░▄█████░░███
████░░███████░██▀░░▄██████░░████
█████░░██████░░░░▄███████░░█████
██████▄░█████▄▄▄████████░▄██████
████████▄░▀██████████▀░▄████████
██████████▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████████

ZROCOR    
  PRIVATE FEDERATED NETWORK 
CREATING THE MOST ACCESSIBLE PLATFORM
                 FOR SELF-ACTUALIZATION               
FACEBOOK  ♦  TWITTER   ♦   WHITEPAPER   ♦   ZAPPS   ♦   GITHUB
     ZROCOR    
  PRIVATE FEDERATED NETWORK 

██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀██████████
████████▀░▄██████████▄░▀████████
██████▀░████████▀▀▀█████░▀██████
█████░░███████▀░░░░██████░░█████
████░░██████▀░░▄██░███████░░████
███░░█████▀░░▄███░▄████████░░███
████████▀░░▄████░░██████████▀▀██
█░░░░██░░▄█████░░█████▀░░██░░░░█
██████████████░░████▀░░▄████▄▄██
███░░████████▀░███▀░░▄█████░░███
████░░███████░██▀░░▄██████░░████
█████░░██████░░░░▄███████░░█████
██████▄░█████▄▄▄████████░▄██████
████████▄░▀██████████▀░▄████████
██████████▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████████

shirackjs

Activity: 812
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 06:17:45 PM

Trading is definitely lucrative if you can catch the market movement accurately.

For inexperienced trader, it is better to choose the holding option to avoid making the wrong trading decision.
artjomgorelov

Activity: 65

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 06:23:57 PM

Yes, long-term investment gives you a better chance of not losing money than intraday trading.
Mister1k

Activity: 896
Merit: 520

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 06:27:23 PM

Trading is good for the market manipulation who ever involved in the trading field mate. But personally I wish to hold the Bitcoin and alts I have with me bro. Then if I am saving means I don't have the fund on exchanges mate.
Only I used to go with the real time wallet which is dedicated for the coins mate.
Mostly private key secured wallet would be a good one.
SyrulRamadhan

Activity: 448
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:03:08 PM

i am team hold i always buy coins and saved for long term i like it because it is safer and more profitable when compared to the daily trading this is very risky, i just prefer it for long term
mklost

Activity: 471
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:11:28 PM

Holding is a good virtue, Hold is gold " We all know about these two sentences. But sometimes you will regret by holding your coins. All coins are not good and even you don't know which coin will give you good profits, right? I agree with your example, But NEO, ETH, IOTA Was a truly a good coin and their product seems very promising that's why many people hold those coins. But if you hold low-value coin then you will not make profits. So, trading is better than Holding in some term and Holding is better than Trade for specific people. But Both together is great.
Fatunad

Activity: 2226
Merit: 347

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:17:43 PM

Yes, long-term investment gives you a better chance of not losing money than intraday trading.
When it comes to risk then you are correct simply holding for long term would really somehow give you the chance to make profits without worrying too much on the price on daily basis since you are holding for longer time then you are expecting profits for more months or years but there are people who do loves to risk out and do short trades which is indeed can make you money more than or compared on just holding it up.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
dev9t9ok

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:35:30 PM

Investors live on market many years but trades usually do not survive. It is not my opinion it is a fact. Even professional traders and funds sometimes go bankrupt. I consider that trading is a bad idea to trade. Anyway you may try to figure out everything yourself  but you should understand that traders are usually professionals and what is your advantage to overplay them?
andriarto

Activity: 1344
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:35:43 PM

When it comes to risk then you are correct simply holding for long term would really somehow give you the chance to make profits without worrying too much on the price on daily basis since you are holding for longer time then you are expecting profits for more months or years but there are people who do loves to risk out and do short trades which is indeed can make you money more than or compared on just holding it up.
for short term trading i think should have trading skills. they must have high analysis, mental, and discipline, because trading like this has more risks. but different from long-term trading where we do not need much time each day to see the chart, and i think it's easier to analyze it

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
|    Twitter    |  Telegram  |   Medium   |  YouTube  |   Discord   |    TikTok    |    GitHub    |
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   S T A K E   L I T T L E   W I N   B I G   
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
sr32703

Activity: 560
Merit: 104

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2018, 09:38:35 PM

According to me you should try buy & hold. Nowadays bitcoin price getting low & it's easy to buy while price increase then sell it & earn huge profit so, I suggested to you buy & hold.

htconem7

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 11:52:27 PM

Trading or HODL

The goal of most investors generally is to buy low and sell high. This can result in two quite different approaches to equity investing.

One approach is described as "trading." Trading involves following the short-term price fluctuations of different stocks closely and then trying to buy low and sell high. Traders usually decide ahead of time the percentage increase they're looking for before you sell (or decrease before they buy).

While trading has tremendous potential for immediate rewards, it also involves a fair share of risk because a stock may not recover from a downswing within the time frame you'd like—and may in fact drop further in price. In addition, frequent trading can be expensive, since every time you buy and sell, you may pay broker's fees for the transaction.

Be aware that trading should not be confused with "day trading," which is the rapid buying and selling of stock to capitalize on small price changes. Day trading can be extremely risky, especially if you attempt to day trade using borrowed money. Individual investors frequently lose money by trying to use this approach.

A very different investing strategy—called buy-and-hold—involves keeping an investment over an extended period, anticipating that the price will rise over time. While buy-and-hold reduces the money you pay in transaction fees and short-term capital gains taxes, it requires patience and careful decision-making. As a buy-and-hold investor, you generally choose tokens based on a company's long-term business prospects. Increases in the coin price over years tend to be based less on the volatile nature of the market's changing demands and more on what's known as the company's fundamentals, such as its earnings and sales, the expertise and vision of its management.

Spectrecoin  +48228%
  Neo  +90450%
  Ethereum  +95390%
  IOTA  +105505%
  NXT  +391776%

The market has been losing ground after a bitcoin fell sharply to $ 7200. According to my analysis you need to be very careful when trading at this time, bitcoin prices are showing signs of strong convergence and will be able to continue strong fluctuations in the coming time. You need to have a specific trading plan and always be willing to stop losses as needed.
anonymous2020

Activity: 120

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 12:58:56 AM

If you are not a exceptional trader who makes lots of money by trading, holding is always better than trading in terms of profit, these examples prove that, it is impossible to make these gains by trading.
Actually if you go for holdings you can have profit with unpredicted one. And when you go for trading you can have profit with your own decision that the value will be higher than expected.
So both of the two will be preferable and it would be based on how you do so on your mind set.
LogitechMouse
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1036

Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2018, 01:36:53 AM

If you are not a professional trader or you dont want to trade then its better to do the buy and hold strategy.

The pros of trading is faster profit while the cons is more risky.

The pros of long term is less risky than trading and the cons is it will be longer for you to get your profit.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
EditorX

Activity: 52

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 02:59:06 AM

Trading or HODL

Spectrecoin  +48228%
  Neo  +90450%
  Ethereum  +95390%
  IOTA  +105505%
  NXT  +391776%

In my case, I use two strategies together. Buy and hold in case of bad market conditions like this, and when the market is good, make profits through split sales at the appropriate target price.
apityeh71

Activity: 476

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 03:50:56 AM

Trading or hold depending on the which price that want to buy  and how big the marketcap of that coin.  We should use fundamental analysis when  decide to hold any coins,  and always use technical analysis  for short trading. We have doing both because is hard to predict the price of each coin.

gudrun

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 03:53:30 AM

Trading or HODL

Spectrecoin  +48228%
  Neo  +90450%
  Ethereum  +95390%
  IOTA  +105505%
  NXT  +391776%

Trading is the best choice at this moment, you can see that the market is constantly fluctuating and unpredictable, the price of bitcoin and altcoin are constantly adjusting. Due to the sharp drop in the price of bitcoin, altcoin prices have been steadily declining in recent days, so I think that at this time you should be in a position to reduce the risk.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: