Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:20:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Google looks into accepting Bitcoin...  (Read 4079 times)
Beta-coiner1 (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:10:55 PM

I wonder why'd they do this since they have ripple already.
The first thing to know about Bitcoin has nothing to do with how it works or what the current value of one is — of primary importance is the fanatical devotion Bitcoin users have to the mother of all cryptocurrencies. Many fans of Bitcoin promote the anonymous internet money at every turn, encouraging others to use it as a way to combat everything from government overreach to unethical banking practices. This is why cryptocurrencies are still a thing. Bitcoin enthusiasts scored a major victory when Overstock and Zynga started accepting Bitcoins recently, and that prompted one fan to start asking other internet companies what their plans were. Surprisingly, the one organization he got anywhere with was Google.

Updated: Google has since issued a statement that it isn’t looking to incorporate Bitcoin — but as far as we can tell, the email conversation isn’t being contested. Basically, Google probably is investigating Bitcoin, but isn’t quite ready to publicly jump on the train.

It was an email to Google+ head honcho Vic Gundotra that got a response. Gundotra forwarded the message to the Google’s commerce team, and a manager there confirmed that the company is indeed investigating how Bitcoin could be incorporated. Mountain View has been careful to say that there are no immediate plans to accept Bitcoin, but Ariel Bardin, VP of Google Payments did request the original emailer start a Google Moderator discussion to see what users wanted Google to do with Bitcoin. The entire exchange was detailed on the Bitcoin section of Reddit.

Bitcoin has been on a steady rise over the last year, more than doubling in value over a few months. Even recent law enforcement actions against Tor network sites (where Bitcoin is very popular) and China’s crackdown on the currency haven’t dampened enthusiasm much — a single Bitcoin is still worth over $900. A year ago one Bitcoin could be exchanged for a mere $20.

The question remains, what would Google do with Bitcoins? The overwhelming majority of Google’s business comes from Adsense, so clearly taking payments for ads in Bitcoin would have the largest impact and would make Bitcoin fans extremely happy. However, Google has to police its Adsense content very well to keep scams and illegal goods out. Having a paper trail aids in accountability, but Bitcoin is anonymous by design. As such, Google’s involvement with Bitcoin, if any, is likely to be more modest.

Now that the word is out, though, I expect Google to do something if only to get brownie points from privacy advocates. Google sells various consumer digital goods like apps, music, and books through Google Play, and many of the suggestions pouring into the Google Moderator page are asking the company to enable Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies in Google Wallet, and thus its entire content ecosystem. However, the act of paying 0.000012 BTC for an app lacks elegance, which is important in a consumer-facing venue like Google Play. Don’t expect a Bitcoin logo will be popping up in the Play Store any time soon.

A solution that satisfies all parties might be to allow Bitcoin transfers directly into Google Wallet. It would be a quick way for users to make Bitcoins “real” and only requires that Google change one of its systems to accommodate virtual money. The Google Wallet debit card might finally get some traction as the fastest way to spend Bitcoins in the real world.
I wonder if this could have the same price affect Baidu did.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:36:04 PM

another link http://newsbtc.com/2014/01/22/google-current-plans-regarding-bitcoin/

“As we continue to work on Google Wallet, we’re grateful for a very wide range of suggestions,” a Google spokesperson said to newsBTC this evening in response to the post on Reddit. “While we’re keen to actively engage with Wallet users to help inform and shape the product, there’s no change to our position: we have no current plans regarding Bitcoin.”

Edit:
Above was in response to this http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1vvfxz/google_confirms_their_payments_team_is_working_to/

BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:38:00 PM

Google is at least aware of it, and if they ever decide to implement features revolving around BTC, it would be maybe the single most influential piece of good news ever, to this point.

What's bigger than Overstock? Amazon? Facebook?

Motherfucking Google.

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:41:12 PM

This is yesterday's not quite news.

Google labs - ie Ripple funders - is a separate entity from the rest of google.

I'm sure there's no shortage of interest inside google. It's inevitable. However they're not just another retailer. Incorporating Bitcoin in even the most modest capacity would be just about the largest endorsement going. I wonder how much political pressure and maneuvering there would be before announcing any type of firm position.
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 11:48:51 PM

This title is misleading. There was a one line sentence in an email which a bitcoin turbobull twisted into his interpretation as alluding to possibly implying adoption. But when a rational person looks at it, it could mean anything.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 11:53:20 PM

Updated: Google has since issued a statement that it isn’t looking to incorporate Bitcoin — but

... you hadn't even had to click it to know it's bullshit before you've read it.

oh and freakin LOL
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:02:55 AM

Updated: Google has since issued a statement that it isn’t looking to incorporate Bitcoin — but

... you hadn't even had to click it to know it's bullshit before you've read it.

oh and freakin LOL

You lie. They didn't say they weren't looking into it. In fact they said blatantly they were keeping an eye on it and considering many things for their wallet. You have got to fucking kidding yourself if you don't think that is positive news. Google NEVER comments on things they aren't at least interested or curious about. The emails weren't fake. The PR department is giving a "never overpromise" pr line in that response.

Why are you so butthurt at the prospect of Google considering bitcoin? A year ago you would have said the exact same thing about Overstock. You are a butthurt little man.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 12:05:01 AM

lol read the damn line, are you so compartmentalized that you can't understand a simple sentence?

It's right there in the article you idiot!  Cheesy
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 04:33:40 AM

lol read the damn line, are you so compartmentalized that you can't understand a simple sentence?

It's right there in the article you idiot!  Cheesy

No you are the idiot!  Grin Cheesy
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 04:44:32 AM

Potentially good news but wallet incorporation and adoption are not the same thing

rapsaodan84

Activity: 218
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 04:45:20 AM

Next stop. $10k.

This gives me hopes Smiley as I'm starting so late on bitcoins.
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:00:51 AM

They said they are looking into it but had no current plans.

Everyone happy now?

"Confirmed they're not looking into it" - Irrational Perma-Bear Lie
"Confirmed they have plans to adopt it" - Irrational Perma-Bull Lie

"Confirmed they are looking into it but have no current plans" - THE TRUF

Another True Confirmed Fact: Google adopting DOGE into Google Wallet
accord01

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:11:38 AM

No this is complete ....
accord01

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:14:24 AM

All you lil nerds that have hoarded all your BTCs and expect ppl to hand you money.  Here's the truth: you are at a disadvantage now.  Too many big fish entered and/or working together with others I'm guessing and are you goign to hold and then by the time it is about to hit 0, you're going to sell.

btw btc will be just a disgusting thing trtaded at 4 disgusting exchanges for a while.  its a joke.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:26:52 AM

All you lil nerds that have hoarded all your BTCs and expect ppl to hand you money.  Here's the truth: you are at a disadvantage now.  Too many big fish entered and/or working together with others I'm guessing and are you goign to hold and then by the time it is about to hit 0, you're going to sell.

btw btc will be just a disgusting thing trtaded at 4 disgusting exchanges for a while.  its a joke.

Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold anything back. Just let loose.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
knightcoin

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:45:04 AM

Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold anything back. Just let loose.

Grin ..

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 07:14:46 AM

But when a rational person looks at it, it could mean anything.

Indeed, when your premises include contradictions, you can validly infer anything.  Assuming for the moment that you are that rational person, perhaps it's time to review your axioms.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
knightcoin

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 08:28:42 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2014, 09:51:39 AM by knightcoin

They said they are looking into it but had no current plans.

Everyone happy now?

"Confirmed they're not looking into it" - Irrational Perma-Bear Lie
"Confirmed they have plans to adopt it" - Irrational Perma-Bull Lie

"Confirmed they are looking into it but have no current plans" - THE TRUF

Another True Confirmed Fact: Google adopting DOGE into Google Wallet

Thats the "google way" to market research ...

btw , I 've had setup some google alerts bots about bitcoin in the news .. and there is nothing about google<=>bitcoin ... then I just started wondering where is my exactly "cluster location"; propagation, Autonomous System (AS) etc... 

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 01:16:17 PM

Wait, what? I've been HODLing (the correct term - not "hoard") my BTCs and people HAVE handed me money. TONS of it. So it's not a matter of expecting people to hand me money... they've already done it. Thanks for the display of emotion, though. You know what they say about people who trade with emotion, or people who base arguments on emotion... they're whiny little girls who let their emotions control them!  Grin Grin Grin
roxtar

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 03:19:42 AM

“We are working in the payments team to figure out how to incorporate bitcoin into our plans" - that was exactly, word for word what Google Senior VP of Ads and Commerce Sridhar Ramaswamy said to me. Since then Forbes, Coindesk, Vice, The Daily Dot, etc etc have all authenticated and verified the emails in various ways. Read what you will into that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: