Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:02:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a rig  (Read 863 times)
BraveMushi (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 08:47:32 PM

Thinking of building a rig to farm alt coins, i am willing to spend 2-2.5k, can anyone give me some good specs?
I also wanted to know how i can set it up to mine the most profitable coin.
MrBilling

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 09:05:52 PM

You have this amazing forum here like a book with all the right answers.  If you are not willing to research then it will take you months to get your rig up, running, and tuned.
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 02:47:03 AM

craiglist has some rigs at $2-2.5k set up to mine and everything.

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 02:55:49 AM

Hey, first of all, if you could get good used ones(used by gamers) in either craigslist or ebay, go for it. I got mine used for $200 and mines at 800kh/s. And also just buy powered extender cables to manage heat and excess current on the board.

GPUs good to use:

5970 - 800 Kh/s
6990 - 800 Kh/s
7950 - 780 Kh/s
R290x (obviously it's brand new) - 800+ Kh/s

And get a good PSU. Don't mind the power bills, because if you do, it would be late to have one and difficulty on most coins will soar.

P.S.
You could resell those stuffs to some gamers later(at the same price you got them). Grin
MrBilling

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 04:16:47 AM

Hey, first of all, if you could get good used ones(used by gamers) in either craigslist or ebay, go for it. I got mine used for $200 and mines at 800kh/s. And also just buy powered extender cables to manage heat and excess current on the board.

GPUs good to use:

5970 - 800 Kh/s
6990 - 800 Kh/s
7950 - 780 Kh/s

And get a good PSU. Don't mind the power bills, because if you do, it would be late to have one and difficulty on most coins will soar.

P.S.
You could resell those stuffs to some gamers later(at the same price you got them). Grin

This makes no sense.  The KHs numbers are way off.  Like I said before you really need to do alot of your own research.  You can find all the answers here or on other boards.  Even if somebody tells you what you want to know you will be right back here when you are trying to build or tune your rig because you wont have read anything.  So its either read on your own and be able to find the answers to your questions (you will have many even if you buy a rig already built) or ask and wait for a response every time you have a question.

For general Scrypt GPU specs/speeds/etc go here.

https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison#AMD_.28ATI.29

Do realize that some people exaggerate theyre speeds though.

Dont mind the power bills?  

Um yea if you end up spending $350 a month in electric and only get $250 a month in coins then you should just buy coins instead of pay $1200 a year for nothing.  So please DO mind the power bills.
U1TRA_L0RD

Activity: 126

CAUTION: Angry Man with Attitude.

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 10:25:33 AM

GPUs good to use:

5970 - 800 Kh/s
6990 - 800 Kh/s
7950 - 780 Kh/s

P.S.

This makes no sense.  The KHs numbers are way off.  Like I said before you really need to do alot of your own research.  You can find all the answers here or on other boards.  Even if somebody tells you what you want to know you will be right back here when you are trying to build or tune your rig because you wont have read anything.  So its either read on your own and be able to find the answers to your questions (you will have many even if you buy a rig already built) or ask and wait for a response every time you have a question.

For general Scrypt GPU specs/speeds/etc go here.

https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison#AMD_.28ATI.29

Do realize that some people exaggerate theyre speeds though.

Dont mind the power bills?  

Um yea if you end up spending $350 a month in electric and only get $250 a month in coins then you should just buy coins instead of pay $1200 a year for nothing.  So please DO mind the power bills.
Power bills for my paycheck to handle.  Cheesy I had never had a problem with electricity.
ganabb

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 10:23:04 AM

what alt coin are you farming right now ?

U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 10:49:50 AM

what alt coin are you farming right now ?
I am mining DOGE coin right now.
knightcoin

Activity: 238

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 11:48:42 AM

I only switch on my gpu miners on winter to heat my room, its a bit noisy ... but I bought a very nice silicone earplugs ..and to be very honest the "white noise" helps me to sleep Wink

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 12:04:55 PM

I only switch on my gpu miners on winter to heat my room, its a bit noisy ... but I bought a very nice silicone earplugs ..and to be very honest the "white noise" helps me to sleep Wink
My friend lives in a very cold area and he has his window open in his computer room, and DucTapes the edge of the door so its traps the cold in.
minermob

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 11:19:52 PM

Thinking of building a rig to farm alt coins, i am willing to spend 2-2.5k, can anyone give me some good specs?
I also wanted to know how i can set it up to mine the most profitable coin.

for mobos I recommend one of the 6 slot z77 motherboards, like the z77 m power $100-$150

Grab a celeron 2 for the processor - $50ish

4gb ram (if you're going to run windows 7, this is what i recommend minimum) $30-50

1500watt power supply and or two 750w power supplies. I recommend getting atleast a bronze rated, if not gold. i've had great luck with the Raidmax power supplies. Expect to pay $300+ for a 1500W.

All that said and done and your looking at about $500 before video cards. I recommend 7950's, 7970's, 270x, 280x, and 290's I haven't played around much with the 290's, but I hear they are good.

For hash rates, I use 7950's and 280x's and get 560 KH on the 7950's super stable and cool, and 700kh on the 280's. Yes I could push them more, but temps get past 70 degrees and you can pretty much hear the cards dying.

Make sure to use CGminer 3.7.2  and to look up the stats for your card on litecoin mining hardware, so you're getting optimal KH.

Some side notes, buy Powered risers only. Everything else is a pain / may or may not work. It's hit or miss so just go powered. I also use the frozen CPU power supply dummy plugs which help in using 2 power supplies for 1 rig.

I also have perfect dimensions for an open frame rig, I made mine out of wood.

finding the best coins to mine can be a hassle and make you switch literally all day long. I recommend finding a couple coins that are consistently doing well, and staying with those. There is multi-mining pools but many of them have had shit payouts for me.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

bitcoin_UK

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 11:26:49 PM

You have this amazing forum here like a book with all the right answers.  If you are not willing to research then it will take you months to get your rig up, running, and tuned.
railzand

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:52:57 AM

hey, learn to use the quote button

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: