Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:08:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: High-resolution images of physical bitcoins  (Read 8193 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 04:54:39 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2011, 06:23:23 PM by casascius

I have taken some very high resolution images of my physical bitcoins and posted on my website (photo link right at the top of the page).

I suppose I am hoping these might end up becoming prototypical pictures of what bitcoins look like, for example for the media.  So I have provided an 18 megabyte zip file with all the photos for download, along with a statement authorizing their commercial and non-commercial use without need for compensation.  

https://www.casascius.com

EDIT: I added some more images that show off the metal side - no Casascius holograms showing - very generic Bitcoin images.  These turned out well.  One sample:

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 05:11:51 PM

The fine print says 'casacius' instead of 'casascius' Huh

That seems like it might  trick some people into thinking they must be counterfeit Tongue

edit: or is the mis-spelling a sneaky trick to catch the counterfeiters out? Wink

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
oOoOo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 05:15:07 PM

@op: how do I check the balance in the blockexplorer?

Uhh. Not really.
julz
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 05:16:29 PM

Uhh. Not really.

Yes. Really.  Look to the left and right of inner circle.

bitrick

Activity: 64
Merit: 140

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 05:51:10 PM

Uhh. Not really.

Those misprinted coins are going to be worth a fortune someday.  Smiley
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 05:52:52 PM

That seems like it might  trick some people into thinking they must be counterfeit Tongue
edit: or is the mis-spelling a sneaky trick to catch the counterfeiters out? Wink

No, this is an unfortunate fail of me to recognize that on the proof.  I didn't notice it until the first time I blew up an image as big as these ones, and that was a whole two days after I received the holograms.  Fortunately I own the domain name "casacius.com" as well...

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
julz
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 06:00:51 PM

No, this is an unfortunate fail of me to recognize that on the proof.  I didn't notice it until the first time I blew up an image as big as these ones, and that was a whole two days after I received the holograms.  Fortunately I own the domain name "casacius.com" as well...

I think it's unfortunate you're not in the coin business more long term..  I'm hoping for 2012 & 2013 versions with corrected holograms, so the 2011 one becomes more of a collectors item Smiley

Looking forward to getting mine anyway!

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 06:25:28 PM

I am seriously talking to people IRL who might be willing to take this over.  I can delegate a lot of the work of this and still be the only one who controls the private keys.  I don't want there to be any possibility that the wrong private key goes inside a coin (it must match the outer label), I have pretty strict controls on this, just in case somebody uses the coin's address as a wallet.

oOoOo

Activity: 238

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 06:44:19 PM

Uhh. Not really.

K, you're right. Just saw the small print.

@ Casascius:

Is this code on the back

the public key?
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 06:51:05 PM

Is this code on the back...the public key?

It is the first 8 characters of the bitcoin address, the remainder of which can be looked up on Block Explorer.  I don't load BTC onto coins until they are nearly ready to ship out, so addresses visible in the photos will probably not show anything yet.

DonnyCMU

Activity: 143

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 08:46:23 PM

Awesome pics. Thx for your contribution
loceff13

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 09:02:52 PM

Why is postage cost so high, 2-3BTC additional for sending a coin to an international address makes it a gimmick at best
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 09:13:38 PM

Why is postage cost so high, 2-3BTC additional for sending a coin to an international address makes it a gimmick at best

at the moment, the only shipping materials I have available are Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes and boxes.  That rate covers up to 4 lbs (almost 2 kg).  So you could buy hundreds of coins and the shipping cost is the same.

I've ordered some bubble mailers that will allow me to ship small quantities of coins cheaper but they're not here yet.

Surawit

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 09:19:33 PM

lmao dude can't even spell his name right. One of the two words used on the coin and he gets it wrong.

Aside from perhaps the original client, has anyone ever managed to carry out a bitcoin-related project without a staggering display of incompetence along the way? I'm thinking of buying some of these, they are oddly symbolic of the whole endeavour...
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 09:29:30 PM

lmao dude can't even spell his name right. One of the two words used on the coin and he gets it wrong.

Aside from perhaps the original client, has anyone ever managed to carry out a bitcoin-related project without a staggering display of incompetence along the way? I'm thinking of buying some of these, they are oddly symbolic of the whole endeavour...

I'm fairly certain that when I manage to run out of materials, that the next batch will have this fixed.  Rumor has it that the Latin "vires in numeris" is wrong too.  I didn't personally produce the artwork, and it's small enough I missed it and approved it on the proof.  It's only obvious when blown up huge on screen. It's about a 3-point type on the actual coin.  (I was quite pissed when I noticed it... but it was my own fault for not looking closely and catching it).

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 09:53:54 PM

Quickly, everyone buy them!

The physical bitcoins with the error "casacius" will be very valuable in the future!

Surawit

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 09:57:57 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2011, 10:18:47 PM by Surawit

Rumor has it that the Latin "vires in numeris" is wrong too.
Did you print that shite too?  what are you, some kind of dumbass? Who prints thousands of internet funbux tokens emblazoned with a motto taken straight from google translate without checking it first?

"in" in latin isn't used like that at all. You mean "per" (through). In any case it should be numeros; both propositions should take the accusative ("numeris" is dative. wtf would the dative be doing there). e: further thought, numeris is also ablative, so at least the sentence is gramatically correct. Using the ablative+in gives it a literal,fixed, positional meaning... Like if you wanted to say "in my car's glove box" you'd use it.

So you have "power [literally, physically]inside of numbers" which is rather nonsensical. What does the inside of a number look like exactly?

I'm guessing you only got vires right from sheer luck (vires is actually plural, but used as plurale tantum singular noun sooo "power" is a good translation).

This is basic knowledge, people

Alternatively:
nummi per inscientiam
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 10:18:26 PM

Rumor has it that the Latin "vires in numeris" is wrong too.
Did you print that shite too?  what are you, some kind of dumbass?

"in" in latin isn't used like that at all. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah which is still rather silly

This is basic knowledge, people

tl;dr.  I don't speak any Latin.  I simply saw it elsewhere.  If that means I am a dumbass, then yes, I am some kind of dumbass.  If it doesn't, then I'm not.  Either way, there's no need to be a jerk.  If by the time we get around to batch #2 and the correct phrase hasn't been decided by consensus, I'll post and ask and you're welcome to contribute to the discussion.

Surawit

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 10:32:18 PM

tl;dr.  I don't speak any Latin.  I simply saw it elsewhere.  If that means I am a dumbass, then yes, I am some kind of dumbass.  If it doesn't, then I'm not.  Either way, there's no need to be a jerk.  If by the time we get around to batch #2 and the correct phrase hasn't been decided by consensus, I'll post and ask and you're welcome to contribute to the discussion.
If you are too incompetent/idle to get any of the 'outside' of the coin right, how can people be sure the printing on the 'inside' - the private keys - has been handled correctly? There is no way of telling without destroying the coin so trust is a key issue. Frankly I'm not exactly brimming with confidence you've got each and every ~30-char private key right for thousands of coins when you can't even spell your own name on the damn things.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 10:39:28 PM

If you are too incompetent/idle to get any of the 'outside' of the coin right, how can people be sure the printing on the 'inside' - the private keys - has been handled correctly? There is no way of telling without destroying the coin so trust is a key issue. Frankly I'm not exactly brimming with confidence you've got each and every ~30-char private key right for thousands of coins when you can't even spell your own name on the damn things.

The adult way to protest would be not to purchase any. The douchenozzle way would be to post lengthy detractions and assault the maker verbally.

Guess where you belong?

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: