Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:59:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: High-resolution images of physical bitcoins  (Read 8193 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 04:54:39 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2011, 06:23:23 PM by casascius

I have taken some very high resolution images of my physical bitcoins and posted on my website (photo link right at the top of the page).

I suppose I am hoping these might end up becoming prototypical pictures of what bitcoins look like, for example for the media.  So I have provided an 18 megabyte zip file with all the photos for download, along with a statement authorizing their commercial and non-commercial use without need for compensation.  

https://www.casascius.com

EDIT: I added some more images that show off the metal side - no Casascius holograms showing - very generic Bitcoin images.  These turned out well.  One sample:

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 05:11:51 PM

The fine print says 'casacius' instead of 'casascius' Huh

That seems like it might  trick some people into thinking they must be counterfeit Tongue

edit: or is the mis-spelling a sneaky trick to catch the counterfeiters out? Wink

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
oOoOo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 05:15:07 PM

@op: how do I check the balance in the blockexplorer?

Uhh. Not really.
julz
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 05:16:29 PM

Uhh. Not really.

Yes. Really.  Look to the left and right of inner circle.

bitrick

Activity: 64
Merit: 140

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 05:51:10 PM

Uhh. Not really.

Those misprinted coins are going to be worth a fortune someday.  Smiley
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 05:52:52 PM

That seems like it might  trick some people into thinking they must be counterfeit Tongue
edit: or is the mis-spelling a sneaky trick to catch the counterfeiters out? Wink

No, this is an unfortunate fail of me to recognize that on the proof.  I didn't notice it until the first time I blew up an image as big as these ones, and that was a whole two days after I received the holograms.  Fortunately I own the domain name "casacius.com" as well...

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
julz
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 06:00:51 PM

No, this is an unfortunate fail of me to recognize that on the proof.  I didn't notice it until the first time I blew up an image as big as these ones, and that was a whole two days after I received the holograms.  Fortunately I own the domain name "casacius.com" as well...

I think it's unfortunate you're not in the coin business more long term..  I'm hoping for 2012 & 2013 versions with corrected holograms, so the 2011 one becomes more of a collectors item Smiley

Looking forward to getting mine anyway!

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 06:25:28 PM

I am seriously talking to people IRL who might be willing to take this over.  I can delegate a lot of the work of this and still be the only one who controls the private keys.  I don't want there to be any possibility that the wrong private key goes inside a coin (it must match the outer label), I have pretty strict controls on this, just in case somebody uses the coin's address as a wallet.

oOoOo

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 06:44:19 PM

Uhh. Not really.

K, you're right. Just saw the small print.

@ Casascius:

Is this code on the back

the public key?
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 06:51:05 PM

Is this code on the back...the public key?

It is the first 8 characters of the bitcoin address, the remainder of which can be looked up on Block Explorer.  I don't load BTC onto coins until they are nearly ready to ship out, so addresses visible in the photos will probably not show anything yet.

DonnyCMU

Activity: 143

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 08:46:23 PM

Awesome pics. Thx for your contribution
loceff13

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 09:02:52 PM

Why is postage cost so high, 2-3BTC additional for sending a coin to an international address makes it a gimmick at best
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 09:13:38 PM

Why is postage cost so high, 2-3BTC additional for sending a coin to an international address makes it a gimmick at best

at the moment, the only shipping materials I have available are Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes and boxes.  That rate covers up to 4 lbs (almost 2 kg).  So you could buy hundreds of coins and the shipping cost is the same.

I've ordered some bubble mailers that will allow me to ship small quantities of coins cheaper but they're not here yet.

Surawit

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 09:19:33 PM

lmao dude can't even spell his name right. One of the two words used on the coin and he gets it wrong.

Aside from perhaps the original client, has anyone ever managed to carry out a bitcoin-related project without a staggering display of incompetence along the way? I'm thinking of buying some of these, they are oddly symbolic of the whole endeavour...
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 09:29:30 PM

lmao dude can't even spell his name right. One of the two words used on the coin and he gets it wrong.

Aside from perhaps the original client, has anyone ever managed to carry out a bitcoin-related project without a staggering display of incompetence along the way? I'm thinking of buying some of these, they are oddly symbolic of the whole endeavour...

I'm fairly certain that when I manage to run out of materials, that the next batch will have this fixed.  Rumor has it that the Latin "vires in numeris" is wrong too.  I didn't personally produce the artwork, and it's small enough I missed it and approved it on the proof.  It's only obvious when blown up huge on screen. It's about a 3-point type on the actual coin.  (I was quite pissed when I noticed it... but it was my own fault for not looking closely and catching it).

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 09:53:54 PM

Quickly, everyone buy them!

The physical bitcoins with the error "casacius" will be very valuable in the future!

Surawit

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 09:57:57 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2011, 10:18:47 PM by Surawit

Rumor has it that the Latin "vires in numeris" is wrong too.
Did you print that shite too?  what are you, some kind of dumbass? Who prints thousands of internet funbux tokens emblazoned with a motto taken straight from google translate without checking it first?

"in" in latin isn't used like that at all. You mean "per" (through). In any case it should be numeros; both propositions should take the accusative ("numeris" is dative. wtf would the dative be doing there). e: further thought, numeris is also ablative, so at least the sentence is gramatically correct. Using the ablative+in gives it a literal,fixed, positional meaning... Like if you wanted to say "in my car's glove box" you'd use it.

So you have "power [literally, physically]inside of numbers" which is rather nonsensical. What does the inside of a number look like exactly?

I'm guessing you only got vires right from sheer luck (vires is actually plural, but used as plurale tantum singular noun sooo "power" is a good translation).

This is basic knowledge, people

Alternatively:
nummi per inscientiam
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 10:18:26 PM

Rumor has it that the Latin "vires in numeris" is wrong too.
Did you print that shite too?  what are you, some kind of dumbass?

"in" in latin isn't used like that at all. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah which is still rather silly

This is basic knowledge, people

tl;dr.  I don't speak any Latin.  I simply saw it elsewhere.  If that means I am a dumbass, then yes, I am some kind of dumbass.  If it doesn't, then I'm not.  Either way, there's no need to be a jerk.  If by the time we get around to batch #2 and the correct phrase hasn't been decided by consensus, I'll post and ask and you're welcome to contribute to the discussion.

Surawit

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 10:32:18 PM

tl;dr.  I don't speak any Latin.  I simply saw it elsewhere.  If that means I am a dumbass, then yes, I am some kind of dumbass.  If it doesn't, then I'm not.  Either way, there's no need to be a jerk.  If by the time we get around to batch #2 and the correct phrase hasn't been decided by consensus, I'll post and ask and you're welcome to contribute to the discussion.
If you are too incompetent/idle to get any of the 'outside' of the coin right, how can people be sure the printing on the 'inside' - the private keys - has been handled correctly? There is no way of telling without destroying the coin so trust is a key issue. Frankly I'm not exactly brimming with confidence you've got each and every ~30-char private key right for thousands of coins when you can't even spell your own name on the damn things.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 10:39:28 PM

If you are too incompetent/idle to get any of the 'outside' of the coin right, how can people be sure the printing on the 'inside' - the private keys - has been handled correctly? There is no way of telling without destroying the coin so trust is a key issue. Frankly I'm not exactly brimming with confidence you've got each and every ~30-char private key right for thousands of coins when you can't even spell your own name on the damn things.

The adult way to protest would be not to purchase any. The douchenozzle way would be to post lengthy detractions and assault the maker verbally.

Guess where you belong?

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Surawit

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 11:18:48 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2011, 11:30:13 PM by Surawit

The adult way to protest would be not to purchase any. The douchenozzle way would be to post lengthy detractions and assault the maker verbally.

Guess where you belong?
Not really sure. By that metric almost 7 billion people on this planet are currently protesting, by virtue of neither purchasing nor planning to purchase his coins. Is that accurate? I don't think not buying something is an "adult" way to protest, it's an "ineffectual" way to protest. I couldn't join this "adult" group, because I am seriously considering planning on buying a couple as a shiny memento. Unless you think I shouldn't?  Huh If the choices are limited to "douchenozzle" and "don't purchase"... Doesn't that make all his customers douchenozzles? Very confusing.

Anyway, I think I shall buy some eventually - I can't resist a good shiny novelty trinket. But let's just say I have no unrealistic expectations of them actually functioning as advertised, the omens are not good  Cheesy. Anyone holding a significant quantity of bitcoins in these before they are thoroughly proved could get burnt.

e: Oh, saw your signature. Are you the idiot who did the faux-latin translations?  Congrats, precisely 2 of the words you used make any sense
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 11:37:30 PM

Anyway, I think I shall buy some eventually - I can't resist a good shiny novelty trinket. But let's just say I have no unrealistic expectations of them actually functioning as advertised, the omens are not good  Cheesy. Anyone holding a significant quantity of bitcoins in these before they are thoroughly proved could get burnt.

I will give you five for free if you break them open and redeem them on video and post your experience on YouTube.

You still have to buy them and provide the BTC, but I will refund you the premium you paid to acquire the coins plus your shipping cost.  You of course will get back your BTC by redeeming them.

You don't even have to tell me who you are - I won't know which order is you - which essentially means that unless you identify yourself, the first person who does this will get it.  And if you do, you'll have 5 worthless coins that still function as shiny novelty trinkets.

If you want "five for free" to be good ones, then buy ten.  Break open any five of your choice, post on YouTube, and I'll refund the premium on all ten.

ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 12:48:59 AM

I will give you five for free if you break them open and redeem them on video and post your experience on YouTube.

You still have to buy them and provide the BTC, but I will refund you the premium you paid to acquire the coins plus your shipping cost.  You of course will get back your BTC by redeeming them.

You don't even have to tell me who you are - I won't know which order is you - which essentially means that unless you identify yourself, the first person who does this will get it.  And if you do, you'll have 5 worthless coins that still function as shiny novelty trinkets.

If you want "five for free" to be good ones, then buy ten.  Break open any five of your choice, post on YouTube, and I'll refund the premium on all ten.

sounds fair, although depending on volume, it could be easy to tell.

jancsika

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 01:32:58 AM

It's really funny, isn't it?  It's as if everything built on top of it has been given the exact opposite amount of care originally put into the bitcoin concept.

Proof of work?  The double-spending problem solved?  A distributed P2P ledger?  Brilliant!  Now please tell me the quickest way I can give money to a stranger to hold them somewhere in the cloud for me...

Shit, they got stolen.  Well, I guess the whole point is to keep them on my _own_ machine, so that I'm in control of my own financial destiny.  Fuck Bernanke!  It's like I keep telling my friend Steve...

Shit, they got stolen.  Ooh, shiny physical Bitcoins!  See, just read the number right here where it says, "Casascius"-- I mean, "Casacius"-- wait...
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 02:01:11 AM

It's really funny, isn't it?  It's as if everything built on top of it has been given the exact opposite amount of care originally put into the bitcoin concept.

Proof of work?  The double-spending problem solved?  A distributed P2P ledger?  Brilliant!  Now please tell me the quickest way I can give money to a stranger to hold them somewhere in the cloud for me...

Shit, they got stolen.  Well, I guess the whole point is to keep them on my _own_ machine, so that I'm in control of my own financial destiny.  Fuck Bernanke!  It's like I keep telling my friend Steve...

Shit, they got stolen.  Ooh, shiny physical Bitcoins!  See, just read the number right here where it says, "Casascius"-- I mean, "Casacius"-- wait...

chill out dude, they're just mementos.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 02:08:02 AM

Getting bitcoins stolen off an anonymous bank... predictable.

Getting bitcoins stolen off your machine by hackers... predictable.

I did release an open-source paper-wallet generator... and if you use it, your risk of theft is pretty much eliminated.  If you look hard at the code, maybe there will be a typo somewhere in there too.  But it still works.  You will just have to protect yourself from thugs who use rubber-hose methods to take the paper from your hands.

johnb210

Activity: 13

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:15:47 AM

That's pretty slick, and I like the pictures, but I'm curious why you don't show a picture of a broken open coin anywhere?  I know I was left wondering what they look like inside after reading the description.
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:19:32 AM

Guess where you belong?

"douchenozzle" is my new favorite word.   Grin

I "ignored" the douchenozzle.  The ignore button is my new best friend.  I will also purchase some of these just to spite the asswipe.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
ctoon6

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:22:41 AM

id like to ask what is the hologram made of, as in materials. i ask this because i may have figured a way to see the key behind it without opening it, xray ,air pressure and infrared light could possibly be used. they are also one time expenses, therefore you could pretty much mess up the whole system for the same price as doing just 1 coin.

max in montreal

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:33:59 AM

how much does each one of these weigh?
Surawit

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:38:58 AM

This leads me to think the whole thing is an elaborate social experiment. "Satoshi" whoever she/he/they may be, released bitcoin and have just sat back and watched events unfold. If she/he/they were still participating I'd expect to see an ounce of brilliance shining somewhere from the last two years.

I'm sure he's a straight-up guy, but hypothetically what is to stop casascicus storing all the private keys? At any point in the future - tomorrow, five years, thirty years... he could transfer some or all of the value of the unredeemed coins into an address controlled by him. It would take a while - maybe years - for anyone to even notice, you'd have to try and redeem it yourself. And even if you did notice, how could you prove it was him and not someone else who had access to your coin in the intervening time? You couldn't even prove that you hadn't already redeemed it yourself. The whole concept is taking everything that is good and secure about bitcoin and shitting all over it.

That said, great idea for a novelty memento, I'm sure they will sell like hot cakes for that reason alone
max in montreal

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:40:52 AM

the printer knows what the numbers are...printer or whoever created the coins...
logansryche

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 04:33:42 AM

DOH! If only I had real bitcoins to spend on stuff like this >.<
It'd be worth every cent.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 04:36:04 AM

the printer knows what the numbers are...printer or whoever created the coins...

casascius "printed" the holograms himself and created the key pairs on an air gapped computer.  only he knows.  and i trust him.
Cory

Activity: 288

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 04:49:23 AM

I just bought ten more of these magnificent coins. I also just imported my first privkey. Cheesy

I am ready to confirm that these coins are legitimate. Expect a Youtube video once I receive them.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 05:01:59 AM

That's pretty slick, and I like the pictures, but I'm curious why you don't show a picture of a broken open coin anywhere?  I know I was left wondering what they look like inside after reading the description.

The only one I took during my shoot didn't turn out and I'll have to reshoot it.  (there is a low resolution one on the original posting about casascius bitcoins though)

Here it is

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 05:07:07 AM

.. he could transfer some or all of the value of the unredeemed coins into an address controlled by him. It would take a while - maybe years - for anyone to even notice, you'd have to try and redeem it yourself. And even if you did notice, how could you prove it was him and not someone else who had access to your coin in the intervening time? You couldn't even prove that you hadn't already redeemed it yourself. The whole concept is taking everything that is good and secure about bitcoin and shitting all over it.

That said, great idea for a novelty memento, I'm sure they will sell like hot cakes for that reason alone

I have PGP-signed all of the bitcoin addresses I have used so far in the coin project and thrown the whole thing in a pastebin (link in my original Casascius Bitcoin thread).  If a large number of my coins suddenly got spent all at the same time - especially if those physical coins are still intact - it would be pretty darn easy and bulletproof to prove it had to be me.  That and the fact that I go by my real name and address and am hardly insolvent... you guys have pretty sound recourse against me if I were to pull crap like that.

the founder

Activity: 448

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 07:24:31 PM

It could work....  I have a stupid question...  if a physical coin was spent... does that mean that coin is now toast?

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 07:29:02 PM

It could work....  I have a stupid question...  if a physical coin was spent... does that mean that coin is now toast?

You'll still have a piece of metal that says "2011 vires in numeris 1 bitcoin" but the hologram on the back will be damaged in a very obvious manner.

TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 07:50:45 PM

If the choices are limited to "douchenozzle" and "don't purchase"... Doesn't that make all his customers douchenozzles? Very confusing.

Only to those that fail basic logic. Guess we'll have to put you into that group too.

Oh, I see - you're being a complete douchenozzle only for the benefit of humanity and bitcoin. How very noble of you. I can't wait to see what 'quest' you take up next, oh Knight of Nimrods.

e: Oh, saw your signature. Are you the idiot who did the faux-latin translations?  Congrats, precisely 2 of the words you used make any sense

Actually 'e' is a constant expressed as such: 2.71828. But I'm sure its a simple mistake, like much of your disorganized rambling. Oh, and I express such SORROW my latin signature isn't perfect. In fact, if it pisses you off, I'll just keep it -- a nice momento for douchenozzles to get steamed over.

Much thanks, you've really given me quite a few laughs along the way. Perhaps you should consider a future career as forum jester?

Take care,

TraderTimm

Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 08:29:52 PM

Very nice casascius!

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
ChrisColon

Activity: 16

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:31:28 PM

Is there any chance the coins will be available through a distributor in europe at some point? I'd buy a couple as presents (and one for myself because they're awesome) but not if I have to deal with customs. The last time I had to was when I bought some merchandising from the U.S. You wouldn't believe the amount of documents I had to send in before I finally received the parcel. And then the postman who delivered the parcel and collected the customs fees didn't have any idea if he needed to do anything special, like letting me sign some extra paperwork, so after a minute or two he just gave me the parcel reluctantly.
ctoon6

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:33:07 PM

Is there any chance the coins will be available through a distributor in europe at some point? I'd buy a couple as presents (and one for myself because they're awesome) but not if I have to deal with customs. The last time I had to was when I bought some merchandising from the U.S. You wouldn't believe the amount of documents I had to send in before I finally received the parcel. And then the postman who delivered the parcel and collected the customs fees didn't have any idea if he needed to do anything special, like letting me sign some extra paperwork, so after a minute or two he just gave me the parcel reluctantly.

hide the coins in the binding of some children's books, like they did with cocaine i think it was.

ChrisColon

Activity: 16

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 10:00:23 PM

hide the coins in the binding of some children's books, like they did with cocaine i think it was.

Thanks Smiley But that wouldn't help. I would still have to deal with customs because of the children's books. I don't want to dodge taxes on the bitcoins or anything, I just don't want to deal with the customs office because their bureaucratic process is way too sadistic for my taste.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 10:18:33 PM

For international shipments, I have been thinking of shipping the coins with zero value, but keeping a bitcoin transaction queued up to load the coins either upon delivery confirmation, or automatically after a certain number of days has passed.

The reason for this would be so that I can plausibly declare the coins as having a negligible value, while still having control over maintaining the non-proliferation of zero-value Casascius Physical Bitcoins.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 03:32:15 PM

i just received my order.  FANTASTIC!  Beautiful looking!  checked the balance of the first 4 and all had the one btc.  i don't need to check any others.

Thank you, Casascius.  Very cool.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 03:33:58 AM

Uhh. Not really.

K, you're right. Just saw the small print.

@ Casascius:

Is this code on the back

the public key?

Forgive me if this was already discussed, but the address pictured had no value at the time of the original post...now it contains 1 bitcoin...are you loading them as you fill orders? Are the private addresses really destroyed (save the copy in the coin)?

Btw - Like bitbills.com, this is a great idea...and quite frankly, I don't give a crap if you can't spell (or edit, really) and don't know jack about Latin. Getting the product out the door and the ingenuity to get the project up and running is far more important in the real world...a much more important contribution to Bitcoin than some pompous @$$ (not quoted) and his comments.

DrG
1DrGossc3QidjzgDXzveCAQGiPWsoiDZ8C

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 04:25:02 AM

after getting home tonite i've had a chance to inspect them even more closely than at work. i missed the point that the holograms on the back are 3D.  difficult to appreciate w/o the correct lighting.  looks very cool.  these are true works of art.  i'm just as proud of the fact that they are Casascius coins as they are physical Bitcoins.  
dayfall

Activity: 312

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 05:46:51 AM

how much does each one of these weigh?

6.6 grams
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 05:52:23 AM

Forgive me if this was already discussed, but the address pictured had no value at the time of the original post...now it contains 1 bitcoin...are you loading them as you fill orders? Are the private addresses really destroyed (save the copy in the coin)?
Darnit, I guess I'm too late to vanitygen that address for firstbits and put 100BTC on it!
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 06:34:20 AM

Yes and yes.  I load each coin once I have confirmed that I haven't rejected it for some reason (such as ruining the label while peeling it - which happens a fair bit - and there's only one for each address).  Of course, only the public addresses are needed for this process.  I have a little app that helps me load them in large batches using the bitcoind "sendmany" RPC command.

The private keys were generated on a fresh OS install dedicated just for the purpose, on a computer that never connected to any networks, and the entire batch printed on sheets of paper directly from that machine.  I have since securely erased the hard drive.

BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 07:08:15 AM

Yes and yes.  I load each coin once I have confirmed that I haven't rejected it for some reason (such as ruining the label while peeling it - which happens a fair bit - and there's only one for each address).  Of course, only the public addresses are needed for this process.  I have a little app that helps me load them in large batches using the bitcoind "sendmany" RPC command.

The private keys were generated on a fresh OS install dedicated just for the purpose, on a computer that never connected to any networks, and the entire batch printed on sheets of paper directly from that machine.  I have since securely erased the hard drive.

Loading them after arrival confirmed by customer also means you can be sure the value isn't lost if the coin is lost/stolen. Which means you could use lower cost shipping like air mail.

On the other hand there's no reason why the customer couldn't load the value after arrival and just pay you for a blank coin (has address+key), removing that whole process from your workload.

Either way, only by looking in the block chain do you know what value the coin actually holds.

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 12:58:16 PM
Last edit: September 14, 2011, 01:09:42 PM by casascius

On the other hand there's no reason why the customer couldn't load the value after arrival and just pay you for a blank coin (has address+key), removing that whole process from your workload.

There is a reason, and it's that I don't want zero-value intact physical bitcoins in the wild.  Otherwise nobody can trust on sight that when they receive one, that it actually contains a bitcoin.  They would have to look it up, which defeats the purpose of having a physical bitcoin.  I realize these are probably going to be collected more than traded, but they still need to remain genuine for them to really have any value.  I'd be willing to load them late for customs purposes, but I'm not willing to sell unloaded coins with an intact hologram.

I will, however, sell the Bitcoin coin blanks without the hologram and without any value for 0.15 BTC.  I would also offer quantity discounts since I don't have to assemble them.

oOoOo

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 01:51:54 PM

I would be interested in these, but only once the two issues with the misspelling and the bad latin are fixed in the next batch.

Suggestions for the latin thing:
"vires numeris" or
"vires numerorum" (power of the numbers) or
"vires per numeros" (<- not sure about this, my latin reaches its limits here Wink )

Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 02:29:18 PM

"vires in numeris" is a known, old latin motto that I have seen before. It is perfectly correct gramatically to mean something like united we stand stronger..

deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 04:27:06 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2011, 01:57:56 PM by deepceleron

There is a reason, and it's that I don't want zero-value intact physical bitcoins in the wild.  Otherwise nobody can trust on sight that when they receive one, that it actually contains a bitcoin.

Loading them after arrival confirmed by customer also means you can be sure the value isn't lost if the coin is lost/stolen. Which means you could use lower cost shipping like air mail.

A stolen or lost-in-transit unloaded coin would still be a "zero-value intact physical bitcoin in the wild". If coins were illegitimately obtained, we must still be able to trust their value (just like real stolen bitcoins Tongue). Looks like he's doing it right in not letting them get out without being loaded. If you wanted to, you could send more money to the coin though!

---

I have my own set of questions...

- what does a peeled coin and it's prize look like,
- how does a tampered coin look after best efforts to replace hologram (remove with hair-dryer, replace perfectly),
- what does the private key look like, is it on the back of the hologram, or a little piece of paper? base58 or ?
- does a coin survive a trip through the washing machine and dryer?
- how are the keys/address printed, does a printing company also get these numbers, are they printed out on another sheet you use to load the coins, and when is that destroyed, etc. A clarification of how many eyes have seen the key.
- are you making sure the address is a unique firstbits before loading?
- what 3d features to look for in original hologram (vs Chinese counterfeit - and don't think they won't fake anything of value. Counterfeiting these coins would just be buying them, redeeming them, and putting them back in the wild with a counterfeit hologram. If they will fill gold bars with tungsten, they will fill coins with BTC good only for the PayPal dispute period)

Such questions might be better answered on the ordering website for that "secure" feeling.

Although you're probably not looking for design by committee, I have a few ideas for v2.

- The next round of holograms could have "casascius.com" instead, so a recipient knows to go there and see info about the coins.
- The hologram field (where the misspelling is) could be less 'brand-heavy', such as the words "tamper protected secure"
- The word "original" (especially if peeling alters this) could be "genuine" "authentic".
- Your website could have a "lookup your coin" feature to see the full address and balance, or a form that submits the coin to firstbits to get the full address.
- We assume the coin mainly circulates un-redeemed due to the higher cost than face value, but if someone wants to import and use the digital currency, some instructions for importing might be useful.

I can also see a clever programmer coming up with a website/gateway where you can input a private key, another bitcoin address, and amount to send, and the website can send the bitcoin to that address.

I will, however, sell the Bitcoin coin blanks without the hologram and without any value for 0.15 BTC.  I would also offer quantity discounts since I don't have to assemble them.
I would suggest striking out the value or other stamping on the front with a die on sample coins for the above counterfeit concern.

Edit: Previous post shows this is a peeled coin:
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 04:47:02 PM

I have to agree.  The Bitcoin world has too many players who 1) expect people to trust them, and 2) are clearly not very good at what they're doing.
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 04:48:07 PM

"vires in numeris" is a known, old latin motto that I have seen before. It is perfectly correct gramatically to mean something like united we stand stronger..

Boussac,

you're wrong, I don't want to start a new thread about this issue; if you search the forum you'll find a long thread about this wrong motto that keeps coming out.

Cheers.

spiccioli.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 04:48:58 PM

Maybe I will run a limited run with "WHO IS JOHN GALT" in place of "VIRES IN NUMERIS".

deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 05:06:52 PM

I have to agree.  The Bitcoin world has too many players who 1) expect people to trust them, and 2) are clearly not very good at what they're doing.

If it is limited in its release, then the variation may have numismatic value. We would think that the US Mint wouldn't be so incompetent that they would strike one side of a dollar coin with the die for a quarter, but they did, and the coins that got out are now worth over $50,000.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 05:16:52 PM

Most people clearly aren't very good at driving either, and any of them at any moment could swerve and kill you as you walk down the sidewalk, but surely that doesn't stop you from going outside.

Of course I expect people to trust me, it is consistent with how I function IRL.  I understand I'm a stranger to you and the majority of the world, but I can't help that.  If there was a way I could make the coins in a cost-effective manner that required trusting nobody, I'd do it.  Doing it and giving out my real world identity and allowing people to have recourse against me is second best.  Nobody is complaining and saying there shouldn't be a physical bitcoin.  Just don't buy one if you think I might rip you off for your 1 BTC!

TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 01:38:58 AM

You forgot "A never-ending supply of people who'd rather crap all over the bitcoin forums than doing something productive with their time."

I'd say more, but I'm sure you are off to your next forum appointment, bile at the ready.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 01:58:23 AM

You forgot "A never-ending supply of people who'd rather crap all over the bitcoin forums than doing something productive with their time."

I'd say more, but I'm sure you are off to your next forum appointment, bile at the ready.

Nagle is just a small, little, gov't or bank paid shill.  he's just a flea on the back of a huge bull.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2011, 06:32:14 AM

Got my coins.  They are beautiful.  For fun I checked every public key and every one was worth exactly 1 BTC.  Another very happy customer.  Keep up the good work!  Getting ready to order some more soon.  I am also looking forward to seeing the video showing someone cracking one open and moving the stored value to their electronic wallet.  Has anyone done this yet?  I am going to install pywallet when I get some spare time but as someone else pointed out I feel kind of like I am "killing a unicorn" by ripping one of my coins open.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
dvide

Activity: 59

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 07:55:06 AM

I have my own set of questions...

- what does a peeled coin and it's prize look like,
- how does a tampered coin look after best efforts to replace hologram (remove with hair-dryer, replace perfectly)

I'd really like to see this too. Not just an image of it cracked open, but also what it looks like if you try your best to affix the hologram back onto the coin. Can you still see the honeycomb pattern through the hologram side?
Sultan

Activity: 214

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 08:51:14 AM

It's a great attempt by Casascius. As most have said, it works as a novelty item. We also need to understand that most people in the world don't have a very active imagination, the physical bitcoins spark that imagination where the intangible symbolically becomes tangible. This is also a good way to spread the word of Bitcoins to communities with limited connection to the internet. They can still be part of the global colmunity with trading BTC, and the few places that have the net can verify the coins for them.

Casascius admits himself that he did his best and encourages competition in creating far more "trustworthy" forms of BTC.

http://images.onbux.com/banner.gif
I then use the money to buy BitCoins. You can too!
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2011, 01:04:48 PM

I'd really like to see this too. Not just an image of it cracked open, but also what it looks like if you try your best to affix the hologram back onto the coin. Can you still see the honeycomb pattern through the hologram side?

Overwhelmingly yes. If you peel the sticker, the honeycombs show through the surface like the coin was at the front of a train wreck.  You won't miss it. The material is rigged so you are actually destroying the holographic layer as you peel. And a hair dryer will make the material shred faster. I'd love to see someone succeed... Those stickers are so easy to ruin that they will regularly ruin themselves just peeling them from the factory backing (those become the ones I rip open and sell as duds with no BTC).

loglow

Activity: 57

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 08:16:23 AM

Received mine today. All verified correctly as having 1BTC value on blockexplorer. They have a very satisfying size, weight, thickness, and color. These coins are unlike the ubiquitous, cheap, lightweight coins given out by grocery stores, arcades, AA, etc. The struck side fits in very well with traditional currency, while the hologram side is stunning; like something out of a movie. Eye-catching and quite beautiful. These coins are a great novelty and conversation starter, but I especially like that they're the real deal, not just a gimmick or souvenir.

Trust is a tricky thing. I have no reason to trust Mike Caldwell, nor do I have a reason to distrust him. The impression I've gotten so far is one of awareness and enthusiasm. Operating under a non-anonymous name and address helps to some degree. In any case, trust can only be built over time, it can never be asked for nor guaranteed.

Here are some photos I took with a few US coins mixed-in for comparison:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6080/6154605221_5ce32ef55d.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6197/6154605259_96e5b07d30.jpg
dvide

Activity: 59

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 09:25:43 AM

Overwhelmingly yes. If you peel the sticker, the honeycombs show through the surface like the coin was at the front of a train wreck.  You won't miss it. The material is rigged so you are actually destroying the holographic layer as you peel. And a hair dryer will make the material shred faster. I'd love to see someone succeed... Those stickers are so easy to ruin that they will regularly ruin themselves just peeling them from the factory backing (those become the ones I rip open and sell as duds with no BTC).
Sweet. I have an tempting itch to buy some Smiley they're so cool!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: