Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:46:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: High-resolution images of physical bitcoins  (Read 8193 times)
Surawit

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 11:18:48 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2011, 11:30:13 PM by Surawit

The adult way to protest would be not to purchase any. The douchenozzle way would be to post lengthy detractions and assault the maker verbally.

Guess where you belong?
Not really sure. By that metric almost 7 billion people on this planet are currently protesting, by virtue of neither purchasing nor planning to purchase his coins. Is that accurate? I don't think not buying something is an "adult" way to protest, it's an "ineffectual" way to protest. I couldn't join this "adult" group, because I am seriously considering planning on buying a couple as a shiny memento. Unless you think I shouldn't?  Huh If the choices are limited to "douchenozzle" and "don't purchase"... Doesn't that make all his customers douchenozzles? Very confusing.

Anyway, I think I shall buy some eventually - I can't resist a good shiny novelty trinket. But let's just say I have no unrealistic expectations of them actually functioning as advertised, the omens are not good  Cheesy. Anyone holding a significant quantity of bitcoins in these before they are thoroughly proved could get burnt.

e: Oh, saw your signature. Are you the idiot who did the faux-latin translations?  Congrats, precisely 2 of the words you used make any sense

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 11:37:30 PM

Anyway, I think I shall buy some eventually - I can't resist a good shiny novelty trinket. But let's just say I have no unrealistic expectations of them actually functioning as advertised, the omens are not good  Cheesy. Anyone holding a significant quantity of bitcoins in these before they are thoroughly proved could get burnt.

I will give you five for free if you break them open and redeem them on video and post your experience on YouTube.

You still have to buy them and provide the BTC, but I will refund you the premium you paid to acquire the coins plus your shipping cost.  You of course will get back your BTC by redeeming them.

You don't even have to tell me who you are - I won't know which order is you - which essentially means that unless you identify yourself, the first person who does this will get it.  And if you do, you'll have 5 worthless coins that still function as shiny novelty trinkets.

If you want "five for free" to be good ones, then buy ten.  Break open any five of your choice, post on YouTube, and I'll refund the premium on all ten.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 12:48:59 AM

I will give you five for free if you break them open and redeem them on video and post your experience on YouTube.

You still have to buy them and provide the BTC, but I will refund you the premium you paid to acquire the coins plus your shipping cost.  You of course will get back your BTC by redeeming them.

You don't even have to tell me who you are - I won't know which order is you - which essentially means that unless you identify yourself, the first person who does this will get it.  And if you do, you'll have 5 worthless coins that still function as shiny novelty trinkets.

If you want "five for free" to be good ones, then buy ten.  Break open any five of your choice, post on YouTube, and I'll refund the premium on all ten.

sounds fair, although depending on volume, it could be easy to tell.

jancsika

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 01:32:58 AM

The fine print says 'casacius' instead of 'casascius' Huh
lmao dude can't even spell his name right. One of the two words used on the coin and he gets it wrong.

Aside from perhaps the original client, has anyone ever managed to carry out a bitcoin-related project without a staggering display of incompetence along the way? I'm thinking of buying some of these, they are oddly symbolic of the whole endeavour...

It's really funny, isn't it?  It's as if everything built on top of it has been given the exact opposite amount of care originally put into the bitcoin concept.

Proof of work?  The double-spending problem solved?  A distributed P2P ledger?  Brilliant!  Now please tell me the quickest way I can give money to a stranger to hold them somewhere in the cloud for me...

Shit, they got stolen.  Well, I guess the whole point is to keep them on my _own_ machine, so that I'm in control of my own financial destiny.  Fuck Bernanke!  It's like I keep telling my friend Steve...

Shit, they got stolen.  Ooh, shiny physical Bitcoins!  See, just read the number right here where it says, "Casascius"-- I mean, "Casacius"-- wait...
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 02:01:11 AM

The fine print says 'casacius' instead of 'casascius' Huh
lmao dude can't even spell his name right. One of the two words used on the coin and he gets it wrong.

Aside from perhaps the original client, has anyone ever managed to carry out a bitcoin-related project without a staggering display of incompetence along the way? I'm thinking of buying some of these, they are oddly symbolic of the whole endeavour...

It's really funny, isn't it?  It's as if everything built on top of it has been given the exact opposite amount of care originally put into the bitcoin concept.

Proof of work?  The double-spending problem solved?  A distributed P2P ledger?  Brilliant!  Now please tell me the quickest way I can give money to a stranger to hold them somewhere in the cloud for me...

Shit, they got stolen.  Well, I guess the whole point is to keep them on my _own_ machine, so that I'm in control of my own financial destiny.  Fuck Bernanke!  It's like I keep telling my friend Steve...

Shit, they got stolen.  Ooh, shiny physical Bitcoins!  See, just read the number right here where it says, "Casascius"-- I mean, "Casacius"-- wait...

chill out dude, they're just mementos.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 02:08:02 AM

Getting bitcoins stolen off an anonymous bank... predictable.

Getting bitcoins stolen off your machine by hackers... predictable.

I did release an open-source paper-wallet generator... and if you use it, your risk of theft is pretty much eliminated.  If you look hard at the code, maybe there will be a typo somewhere in there too.  But it still works.  You will just have to protect yourself from thugs who use rubber-hose methods to take the paper from your hands.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
johnb210

Activity: 13

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:15:47 AM

That's pretty slick, and I like the pictures, but I'm curious why you don't show a picture of a broken open coin anywhere?  I know I was left wondering what they look like inside after reading the description.
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:19:32 AM

The adult way to protest would be not to purchase any. The douchenozzle way would be to post lengthy detractions and assault the maker verbally.

Guess where you belong?

"douchenozzle" is my new favorite word.   Grin

I "ignored" the douchenozzle.  The ignore button is my new best friend.  I will also purchase some of these just to spite the asswipe.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
ctoon6

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:22:41 AM

id like to ask what is the hologram made of, as in materials. i ask this because i may have figured a way to see the key behind it without opening it, xray ,air pressure and infrared light could possibly be used. they are also one time expenses, therefore you could pretty much mess up the whole system for the same price as doing just 1 coin.

max in montreal

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:33:59 AM

how much does each one of these weigh?
Surawit

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:38:58 AM

This leads me to think the whole thing is an elaborate social experiment. "Satoshi" whoever she/he/they may be, released bitcoin and have just sat back and watched events unfold. If she/he/they were still participating I'd expect to see an ounce of brilliance shining somewhere from the last two years.

I'm sure he's a straight-up guy, but hypothetically what is to stop casascicus storing all the private keys? At any point in the future - tomorrow, five years, thirty years... he could transfer some or all of the value of the unredeemed coins into an address controlled by him. It would take a while - maybe years - for anyone to even notice, you'd have to try and redeem it yourself. And even if you did notice, how could you prove it was him and not someone else who had access to your coin in the intervening time? You couldn't even prove that you hadn't already redeemed it yourself. The whole concept is taking everything that is good and secure about bitcoin and shitting all over it.

That said, great idea for a novelty memento, I'm sure they will sell like hot cakes for that reason alone
max in montreal

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:40:52 AM

the printer knows what the numbers are...printer or whoever created the coins...
logansryche

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 04:33:42 AM

DOH! If only I had real bitcoins to spend on stuff like this >.<
It'd be worth every cent.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 04:36:04 AM

the printer knows what the numbers are...printer or whoever created the coins...

casascius "printed" the holograms himself and created the key pairs on an air gapped computer.  only he knows.  and i trust him.
Cory

Activity: 288

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 04:49:23 AM

I just bought ten more of these magnificent coins. I also just imported my first privkey. Cheesy

I am ready to confirm that these coins are legitimate. Expect a Youtube video once I receive them.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 05:01:59 AM

That's pretty slick, and I like the pictures, but I'm curious why you don't show a picture of a broken open coin anywhere?  I know I was left wondering what they look like inside after reading the description.

The only one I took during my shoot didn't turn out and I'll have to reshoot it.  (there is a low resolution one on the original posting about casascius bitcoins though)

Here it is

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 05:07:07 AM

.. he could transfer some or all of the value of the unredeemed coins into an address controlled by him. It would take a while - maybe years - for anyone to even notice, you'd have to try and redeem it yourself. And even if you did notice, how could you prove it was him and not someone else who had access to your coin in the intervening time? You couldn't even prove that you hadn't already redeemed it yourself. The whole concept is taking everything that is good and secure about bitcoin and shitting all over it.

That said, great idea for a novelty memento, I'm sure they will sell like hot cakes for that reason alone

I have PGP-signed all of the bitcoin addresses I have used so far in the coin project and thrown the whole thing in a pastebin (link in my original Casascius Bitcoin thread).  If a large number of my coins suddenly got spent all at the same time - especially if those physical coins are still intact - it would be pretty darn easy and bulletproof to prove it had to be me.  That and the fact that I go by my real name and address and am hardly insolvent... you guys have pretty sound recourse against me if I were to pull crap like that.

the founder

Activity: 448

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 07:24:31 PM

It could work....  I have a stupid question...  if a physical coin was spent... does that mean that coin is now toast?

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 07:29:02 PM

It could work....  I have a stupid question...  if a physical coin was spent... does that mean that coin is now toast?

You'll still have a piece of metal that says "2011 vires in numeris 1 bitcoin" but the hologram on the back will be damaged in a very obvious manner.

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 07:50:45 PM

If the choices are limited to "douchenozzle" and "don't purchase"... Doesn't that make all his customers douchenozzles? Very confusing.

Only to those that fail basic logic. Guess we'll have to put you into that group too.

Oh, I see - you're being a complete douchenozzle only for the benefit of humanity and bitcoin. How very noble of you. I can't wait to see what 'quest' you take up next, oh Knight of Nimrods.

e: Oh, saw your signature. Are you the idiot who did the faux-latin translations?  Congrats, precisely 2 of the words you used make any sense

Actually 'e' is a constant expressed as such: 2.71828. But I'm sure its a simple mistake, like much of your disorganized rambling. Oh, and I express such SORROW my latin signature isn't perfect. In fact, if it pisses you off, I'll just keep it -- a nice momento for douchenozzles to get steamed over.

Much thanks, you've really given me quite a few laughs along the way. Perhaps you should consider a future career as forum jester?

Take care,

TraderTimm

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: