Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:48:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: High-resolution images of physical bitcoins  (Read 8189 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 05:16:52 PM

I have to agree.  The Bitcoin world has too many players who 1) expect people to trust them, and 2) are clearly not very good at what they're doing.

Most people clearly aren't very good at driving either, and any of them at any moment could swerve and kill you as you walk down the sidewalk, but surely that doesn't stop you from going outside.

Of course I expect people to trust me, it is consistent with how I function IRL.  I understand I'm a stranger to you and the majority of the world, but I can't help that.  If there was a way I could make the coins in a cost-effective manner that required trusting nobody, I'd do it.  Doing it and giving out my real world identity and allowing people to have recourse against me is second best.  Nobody is complaining and saying there shouldn't be a physical bitcoin.  Just don't buy one if you think I might rip you off for your 1 BTC!

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 01:38:58 AM

I have to agree.  The Bitcoin world has too many players who 1) expect people to trust them, and 2) are clearly not very good at what they're doing.

You forgot "A never-ending supply of people who'd rather crap all over the bitcoin forums than doing something productive with their time."

I'd say more, but I'm sure you are off to your next forum appointment, bile at the ready.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 01:58:23 AM

You forgot "A never-ending supply of people who'd rather crap all over the bitcoin forums than doing something productive with their time."

I'd say more, but I'm sure you are off to your next forum appointment, bile at the ready.

Nagle is just a small, little, gov't or bank paid shill.  he's just a flea on the back of a huge bull.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2011, 06:32:14 AM

Got my coins.  They are beautiful.  For fun I checked every public key and every one was worth exactly 1 BTC.  Another very happy customer.  Keep up the good work!  Getting ready to order some more soon.  I am also looking forward to seeing the video showing someone cracking one open and moving the stored value to their electronic wallet.  Has anyone done this yet?  I am going to install pywallet when I get some spare time but as someone else pointed out I feel kind of like I am "killing a unicorn" by ripping one of my coins open.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
dvide

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 07:55:06 AM

I have my own set of questions...

- what does a peeled coin and it's prize look like,
- how does a tampered coin look after best efforts to replace hologram (remove with hair-dryer, replace perfectly)

I'd really like to see this too. Not just an image of it cracked open, but also what it looks like if you try your best to affix the hologram back onto the coin. Can you still see the honeycomb pattern through the hologram side?
Sultan

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 08:51:14 AM

It's a great attempt by Casascius. As most have said, it works as a novelty item. We also need to understand that most people in the world don't have a very active imagination, the physical bitcoins spark that imagination where the intangible symbolically becomes tangible. This is also a good way to spread the word of Bitcoins to communities with limited connection to the internet. They can still be part of the global colmunity with trading BTC, and the few places that have the net can verify the coins for them.

Casascius admits himself that he did his best and encourages competition in creating far more "trustworthy" forms of BTC.

http://images.onbux.com/banner.gif
I then use the money to buy BitCoins. You can too!
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2011, 01:04:48 PM

I'd really like to see this too. Not just an image of it cracked open, but also what it looks like if you try your best to affix the hologram back onto the coin. Can you still see the honeycomb pattern through the hologram side?

Overwhelmingly yes. If you peel the sticker, the honeycombs show through the surface like the coin was at the front of a train wreck.  You won't miss it. The material is rigged so you are actually destroying the holographic layer as you peel. And a hair dryer will make the material shred faster. I'd love to see someone succeed... Those stickers are so easy to ruin that they will regularly ruin themselves just peeling them from the factory backing (those become the ones I rip open and sell as duds with no BTC).

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
loglow

Activity: 57

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 08:16:23 AM

Received mine today. All verified correctly as having 1BTC value on blockexplorer. They have a very satisfying size, weight, thickness, and color. These coins are unlike the ubiquitous, cheap, lightweight coins given out by grocery stores, arcades, AA, etc. The struck side fits in very well with traditional currency, while the hologram side is stunning; like something out of a movie. Eye-catching and quite beautiful. These coins are a great novelty and conversation starter, but I especially like that they're the real deal, not just a gimmick or souvenir.

Trust is a tricky thing. I have no reason to trust Mike Caldwell, nor do I have a reason to distrust him. The impression I've gotten so far is one of awareness and enthusiasm. Operating under a non-anonymous name and address helps to some degree. In any case, trust can only be built over time, it can never be asked for nor guaranteed.

Here are some photos I took with a few US coins mixed-in for comparison:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6080/6154605221_5ce32ef55d.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6197/6154605259_96e5b07d30.jpg
dvide

Activity: 59

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 09:25:43 AM

Overwhelmingly yes. If you peel the sticker, the honeycombs show through the surface like the coin was at the front of a train wreck.  You won't miss it. The material is rigged so you are actually destroying the holographic layer as you peel. And a hair dryer will make the material shred faster. I'd love to see someone succeed... Those stickers are so easy to ruin that they will regularly ruin themselves just peeling them from the factory backing (those become the ones I rip open and sell as duds with no BTC).
Sweet. I have an tempting itch to buy some Smiley they're so cool!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: