Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 03:22:05 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is MtGox dying?  (Read 12699 times)
komar (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:10:41 AM

MtGox header says: "Trade with confidence on the world's largest Bitcoin exchange!"

But it's not "the world’s largest" anymore. You can see it on http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/:

I think that means MtGox lose it's only advantage. Now I don't know what could save MtGox on market.

MtGox bitcoin price is above $100 higher than on BTC-E or BitStamp. Everybody knows the reason: it's damn hard to withdraw fiat money from there and the only option is buying bitcoins and withdraw them. $100 difference looks scary so I drew a graph with relative difference between MtGox and BTC-E (I'm russian, you may be noticed :)

As you can see the relative difference is not so high yet — about 15% as usual.

So, what have I missed? What are you thinking guys? Or nobody cares about MtGox, huh?
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:25:45 AM

It seems like its definitely on a downtrend, i dont have the slightest idea what is going on behind the scenes. I doubt that they are purposely trying to make withdrawals difficult, but if you can't get money off of the site, you are basically playing a bitcoin video game trying to get the most points...
h3rlihy

Activity: 356
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:41:17 AM

I think it's going down. Nowadays if a company withholds your money, people stop using them, simple. Gox has such a bad rep for withdrawals that I didn't even bother trying, just went straight to bitstamp as soon as I could
Caiapfas

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:43:47 AM

I hope they are dying. I signed up and submitted the docs needed almost 4 months ago.

2 months into it I posted a ticket and asked wth? they replied after a month saying we are busy and will reply later.

My question is how can they keep peoples money and why don't we just boycott and destroy them? which would give btc-e more trades and the price would go up right?

If you liked my post or found anything I said useful send some coffee change to
BTC = 3LxtsmCjRDPD6oYYwz31dwFJW9ktUy1Yuz
sase007

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:46:13 AM

I hope too...

They are terrible (and almost scamers) exchange page...
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:32:08 AM

I suspect they are dying. Can't get fiat out for ages, now not processing bitcoin withdrawals reliably. The writing is on the wall.

Get your money out while you can. Oh, except you can't of course  Shocked
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:26:03 AM

It was the largest exchange, and maybe the admin "forget" to update the site.  Wink

IMHO, mtgox has no advantage but tons of disadvantages when compared with other exchanges, eg. ~150+ higher buying price, terribly delayed USD withdrawal, very bad support, no LTC, etc.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 07:52:45 AM

has anyone here had a positive experience with gox?   I haven't seen anyone say anything good about gox once..
Frankie

Activity: 206

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 08:52:55 AM

Yeah, it's certainly in decline.

One thing I don't understand if this article is true: http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/11/mtgox/

Why doesn't Gox use some of its bitcoin profits and trade for fiat off their own exchange? That retired their fiat debt, which gives them some breathing room whether or not they are actually solvent.

More importantly, they could bring the Gox price closer to parity with other exchanges. I'm sure their withdrawal problems are much worse because many of their customers would like to be the person who somehow successfully withdraws and scores a windfall arbitrage. Everyone knows you can't do that, but people apparently try because there are tons of complaints about it any time a new Gox thread is started. If their price wasn't so out of line, they might actually have fewer withdrawal requests--few enough that they could process them 10 a day (or whatever the alleged bottleneck is).
komar (OP)

Activity: 224

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 09:11:44 AM

Sounds funny.

Fiat withdraw problems → BTC price rise → more people want to sell BTC and withdraw fiat → more fiat withdraws → more fiat withdraw problems → BTC price rise → ...

I think there's a parameter which limits this circle. Otherwise BTC price will skyrocket. Could it be withdraw time?

(everything you read above is a joke)
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 09:21:12 AM

has anyone here had a positive experience with gox?   I haven't seen anyone say anything good about gox once..

Yes, my experiences with Gox were mostly pretty good... in 2012. Grin

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 09:24:17 AM

Nope. next question, lol.

Consider this: they haven't processed at least 90% of international wires for 6 months or so now. how many millions of dollars do you think that is in their bank account. And now people can't get btc out more and more. If its looks like a sinking ship, smells like  a burning ship, ... you can guess the rest.
JohanM

Activity: 138
Merit: 36

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 10:48:13 AM

Mtgox is losing market share because the largest trading group (USD) can no longer withdraw funds (for whatever reason).
In Euro and JPY the problems are much less, you do get your money (with a delay of 4-6 weeks) and it is even predictable when you will get it.

So the real question is: who or what is blocking USD withdraws ? (Mtgox itself, US banks, US government, ... ??)
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 10:54:04 AM

Mtgox is losing market share because the largest trading group (USD) can no longer withdraw funds (for whatever reason).
In Euro and JPY the problems are much less, you do get your money (with a delay of 4-6 weeks) and it is even predictable when you will get it.

So the real question is: who or what is blocking USD withdraws ? (Mtgox itself, US banks, US government, ... ??)

Or indeed why are BTC withdrawals suddenly stopping working? Can't blame a bank or government for that Wink
JohanM

Activity: 138
Merit: 36

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 11:38:59 AM

My last BTC withdraw from mtgox was 1 week ago. It was instantaneous ...
Sonny

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 11:49:04 AM

The worst problem is USD withdrawals.
People have been waiting for months.
5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 12:02:33 PM

It certainly appears as if its starting to die off

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 01:06:25 PM

To where? Japan, SEPA, International?
de3mka

Activity: 102
Merit: 13

How do I change an avatar?

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 02:03:42 PM

To where? Japan, SEPA, International?

BTC means he withdrew BTC.
I had the same experience. A week ago it was instant. Todays it takes hours/days. Perhaps they've run into some technical problems with withdrawal processor. I expect them to communicate better.

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App

BTC: 16o89714EG9WGyi39NxifutFYk55QkxqQK
hulk

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 03:06:33 PM

Try doing the same thing on USD..

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: