Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:22:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is MtGox dying?  (Read 12696 times)
sase007

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:14:42 PM

This is truly terrifying. If the 5% fee withdrawal doesn't even work now, it really does seem as though Gox is dying/insolvent. Has ANYONE managed to get money out of them in the last few weeks?

I can confirm that I received a withdraw which I ordered in end of November and received it on 5th February (last week):

To address?
Txid?

Brand new user - trustworthy for sure :-/ Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hujer

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:27:33 PM

This is truly terrifying. If the 5% fee withdrawal doesn't even work now, it really does seem as though Gox is dying/insolvent. Has ANYONE managed to get money out of them in the last few weeks?

I can confirm that I received a withdraw which I ordered in end of November and received it on 5th February (last week):

http://fastimages.eu/images/mtgoxgxg.jpg

To address?
Txid?

I registered today, I didn't care about BC background until now and this mess around. Before it was taken care of by my brother who handles the Miner and guild membership. Believe it or not I received the payment last week. Thing is that I ordered 3 other withdrawals in the end of November every each day due to 1000eur/day limit, and I didn't receive the other withdraws yet but it is about 6 weeks which they claimed that it can take so long even last year.

EDIT: and which address do you mean? My bank is in central EU.
Totscha

Activity: 1276
Merit: 622

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:38:13 PM

This just in:

Chuck Norris withdrew all of his bitcoins (about 25.000.000) from Mt.Gox earlier today Wink
sase007

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:46:19 PM

To address?
Txid?

I registered today, I didn't care about BC background until now and this mess around. Before it was taken care of by my brother who handles the Miner and guild membership. Believe it or not I received the payment last week. Thing is that I ordered 3 other withdrawals in the end of November every each day due to 1000eur/day limit, and I didn't receive the other withdraws yet but it is about 6 weeks which they claimed that it can take so long even last year.

EDIT: and which address do you mean? My bank is in central EU.

Sorry Smiley
I missunderstood you...
You are talking about $ not btc, my bad, sry Cheesy
Hujer

Activity: 4

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:21:36 PM

Sorry Smiley
I missunderstood you...
You are talking about $ not btc, my bad, sry Cheesy

Yes I was talking about cash withdraw. BC withdraw I did only in January and it took like 3-4 hours which was longer than I expected...
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 02:34:08 PM

I think gox has been dying for quite some time. Hopefully it'll pop its clogs sometime soon though. Surely nobody will actually use it once they get their money out.
blueberry

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 05:20:30 PM

MtGox is essentially dead. If by some chance they do pay out the bitcoins, their reputation is still irreparable, at least with Mark Karpeles in charge. Most users will leave and move to other exchanges. There are probably lawsuits now made against them by some wealthy users.

If you are lucky enough to get your funds out. Don't put them back in!
taiping

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 03:07:26 PM

My MtGox USD fund withdrawal requested on 14 December 2013 (see above), was cancelled by MtGox and the funds credited back to my account on 10 February 2014.
I gave them the opportunity to transfer the funds with the 5% fee, as long as they did it within 7 working days, but it seems they couldn't do that.
The transfer was requested to my bank account in Thailand.
jemenake

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:46:56 PM

If you are lucky enough to get your funds out. Don't put them back in!

Indeed. In fact, I kinda want to see if we can find one of the last people to get all of their BTC out before the gate slammed shut... maybe we can buy him a cake to express how badly we wish we had the foresight that he/she did.

Even before this fiasco, I was starting to feel that the BTC were safer in my *own* wallet than with an exchange. Now, with Bitstamp's suspension of withdrawals, I think it is going to cause a lot more people to hold their own BTC. This episode has really brought into focus the fact that the exchanges' priorities really are not aligned with those of the depositors.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 07:26:08 AM

Useful information to keep in mind:

- Good-quality pictures of Mark Karpeles exist, should he be wanted by police.
- He has been recently sighted leaving the Mt. Gox offices, so he's still in Japan.
- Japan is an island chain.  It's hard to leave Japan without passing through a checkpoint.
JCviggen

Activity: 1260
Merit: 505

Age Of Mars | GameFI Virtual colonization of Mars

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 07:58:45 AM

On most exchanges BTC withdrawal works again, in fact has already been back for more than a day now on the ones I use. By tomorrow or so Mt.Gox will probably be the only one left denying BTC withdrawals. What are they going to point to then? This display of impotence is going to be the nail in their coffin imho. Then again the markets already know this, Gox is 150$ below everyone else.

Age Of Mars | GameFI Virtual colonization of Mars
alfabitcoin

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 08:04:22 AM

They can die when they process btc withdraws. Those with usd funds can buy btc and go out that route.
taiping

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 10:18:15 AM

Were you outright denied the 5% normal withdraw fee option or was it that they could not do it within 7 working days?

--------------
MtGox suggested the 5% fee which I reluctantly agreed to, provided they transfer the USD funds to my bank in Thailand within 7 working days. After all, I had already been waiting since December 2013.
Next thing I know was that my account had been credited back with the funds. No response from MtGox about the 7 working days.
Now I have MtGoxBTC and MtGoxUSD - Great !!
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 11:06:37 AM

What I'm wondering is why anyone would be stupid enough to still use MtGox? I learned a long time ago that you really have to stay on your toes in the Bitcoin world, and look out for signs of trouble with the services you are using. Even though they were for a long time the premier Bitcoin exchange, there have been so many signs for so long from MtGox that by now anyone still using them can only blame themselves for the troubles they get.
alfabitcoin

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 11:21:40 AM

What I'm wondering is why anyone would be stupid enough to still use MtGox? I learned a long time ago that you really have to stay on your toes in the Bitcoin world, and look out for signs of trouble with the services you are using. Even though they were for a long time the premier Bitcoin exchange, there have been so many signs for so long from MtGox that by now anyone still using them can only blame themselves for the troubles they get.
Well, many did used them solely to trade due to volume, that worked with btc untill now. This btc withdraw problems are hard to imagine. Those who wanted to withdraw fiat should have stay away as that was and is bigest gox problem.
Grinder
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 12:54:59 PM

Well, many did used them solely to trade due to volume, that worked with btc untill now. This btc withdraw problems are hard to imagine. Those who wanted to withdraw fiat should have stay away as that was and is bigest gox problem.
The specific cause of the BTC withdrawal problems were very hard to predict, but that customers could get problems withdrawing BTC for some reason wasn't too hard to imagine. Considering all the other problems they've had for a long time and which they've promised would be fixed a long time ago, it's just one more in a long series of problems.

If you believed that whatever the latest problem they have been having would be the last then you are incredibly naive. Every time there is a new problem they've given the impression that it's going to be short term and then everything would work flawlessly again, but it's been clear for a long time that for every little step forward they are taking another two steps back.
alfabitcoin

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 01:02:35 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2014, 01:18:19 PM by alfabitcoin

The specific cause of the BTC withdrawal problems were very hard to predict, but that customers could get problems withdrawing BTC for some reason wasn't too hard to imagine. Considering all the other problems they've had for a long time and which they've promised would be fixed a long time ago, it's just one more in a long series of problems.

If you believed that whatever the latest problem they have been having would be the last then you are incredibly naive. Every time there is a new problem they've given the impression that it's going to be short term and then everything would work flawlessly again, but it's been clear for a long time that for every little step forward they are taking another two steps back.
i just told you my opinion why many did traded with btc only and why so many conginued to use mtgox. I fully agree that gox have big big problems and given false promises. However, again, btc withdraw issue were indeed hard to imagine, at least that should work fine. I do not know what you refer by customers could have problems withdrawing btc for some (whatever) reason? What reason in the past could predit current issues with btc withdraw?
Also you are pretty vogue with your explanation. What stateamant and what dis(belif) should have warn btc traders only and what make them naive?

To draw a pararel, why bfl has new customers and why people still buy miners from bfl?
Grinder
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 01:36:48 PM

I do not know what you refer by customers could have problems withdrawing btc for some (whatever) reason? What reason in the past could predit current issues with btc withdraw?
My point is that you can never expect to predict very specifically which types of problems a service will have and think you'll be safe. If you do you will always be one step behind. All you can do is take an overall look at the service and see how they have been doing overall.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 01:50:19 PM

*lol* Theres something really angry at mtgox... i can understand him. First dont address the problems for years, then blame the foundation for it: https://bitcoinfoundation.org/forum/index.php?/topic/727-forbes-gox/

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
alfabitcoin

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 01:55:55 PM

I do not know what you refer by customers could have problems withdrawing btc for some (whatever) reason? What reason in the past could predit current issues with btc withdraw?
My point is that you can never expect to predict very specifically which types of problems a service will have and think you'll be safe. If you do you will always be one step behind. All you can do is take an overall look at the service and see how they have been doing overall.
I agree. However to be safe is one thing and gliches and x problems are another. If you speak about how mtgox lost clients funds then you are just wrong, time will tell. If we talk about safety of your coins then no exchange are good for it, not only due possible solvency issues but suspensions as now as well. My personal opinion is that coins withdraw will resume, question is when.

Point here is not blaming and rubbing mtgox customers here, why they did tha or that, nobody expected current withdraw fiasco.
I have replied my opinion of your original questions why people still used mtgox.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: