Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 11:51:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Got hacked (?), 7ish btc lost!?  (Read 4098 times)
U1TRA_L0RD

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

CAUTION: Angry Man with Attitude.

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 11:44:08 AM

I had a very similar experience with btc-e, I lost about 180 ltc, and 1.7 btc, they didn't get my other coins though.

My 2fa was not compromised yet they removed all my funds.

This was directly after I contacted btc-e support.

I believe to this day btc-e is not a trustworthy company.

Bulgarians!

Any time anyone has coins stolen from an online exchange / wallet provider, they should definitely report it here. Then we can get an idea of the trustworthiness (or not) of the site in question.

If money is regularly disappearing with 2fa in place, you have to start wondering whether its an inside job.
If BTC-E is selective scamming, Is there a way to report them, What their country laws?

They won't even tell us who they are. That tells you something already ...

Isn't btc-e based in Russia?
I always hear that again and again in the forum...
No, They are based in Bulgaria, Cheap site, Look slike an early 2000's one.  Cheesy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTC-E
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:34:00 PM

My opinion...

BTC-e is the key to all of this.

You seem convinced that they aren't an issue because you hadn't used the site in so long. I'm not sure why you feel this matters. If anything, were a malicious employee to access the emails and passwords of users of the site, the lack of activity might be the very reason they decided to target you, perhaps figuring that they'd be able to do their deeds and it would be weeks before you noticed.

1) BTC-e seems to be chronologically the first target.

2) Your email wasn't compromised, and your system wasn't compromised. This seems pretty clear.

3) The common link to these sites was the password.

4) I would think the most likely means of retrieving the password would be from the (unencrypted!) data in one of the site's databases.

5) The password reset business is irrelevant (although whether you're being lied to by btc-mining isn't.) Seems clear to me the hacker did it just to throw you off the trail, and likely to lock you out of the account too (if he's going to just sell your stuff and not profit, might as well add one final slap-to-the-face while he's at it.) He apparently did his business, requested a bunch of password resets from the same session (or not), then changed the password on you.

It all seems to boil down to your accounts being compromised by an inept, petty and vindictive thief who got your password and was expecting to hit gold. The only real question seems to be how he got the password. Presuming you don't have younger family members who dislike you poking through your stuff, my money is on BTC-e being the source of the password one way or another.

EDIT: You might consider asking each site if their user password data is encrypted in their database, and if so how (md5, etc.) Not that any one of them couldn't just lie to you, but three sites giving quick, solid responses and one ignoring the question for a week or two would be pretty suspect.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
GreenBits (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 12:46:13 AM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 06:52:04 AM by GreenBits

I have edited my previous post because I made an accusation in error.

I had a considerable conversation with the administrator of bit-mining.co. after going over the details of the intrusion, and being informed of the security features behind the scenes, I no longer suspect that my account details were compromised. There was a mis communication during our emails which I based my accusation off of that was not correct; After being presented with the facts i can concur that bit-mining.co was not the vector of compromise. so, i will man up and face the music.

I humbly apologize for my false accusation, demontn. I hope you accept it, and I sincerely wish the best for you and your service. besides this unfortunate incident, i honestly enjoyed your exchange. you have fair pricing and, now the we have spoken, decent customer service.

~Green

So I guess that it was btce. i apologize to you guys for not listening.
GroundRod

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 09:22:57 AM

Some great comments and support from other members here GreenBits, glad to see you had a chat with bit-mining, the site I think has great potential, more so now after reading your comments.  As I was there live when it happened, will stand by you as witness to the criminal act.  Was very saddened by your loss, so much so I canceled my trades & went to bed after it happened, doubt you got much sleep that night, anyway my few bitcoins have sat in my offline wallet for two+ years collecting value by doing NOTHING, putting them at risk like this, after what had just happened to you made me sick.

Anyway, got my own personal theory about what 'might' have happened, sent you a PM, please get back to me, so we might discuss it further...

GroundRod
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: