Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:06:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 Record breaking 30 minute volume to drive Bitcoin from $820 to just $836  (Read 2347 times)
MatTheCat (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 05:02:08 PM

That was a record breaking volume required to devour a massive Ask wall that had accumulated at the $820 range.

I doubt for a second that this surge in volume, 900 BTC worth of it occurring in one fell strike, the majority of the rest of it hitting within two seperate 1 minute candles, was the result of irrepressible mass public appetite for $820 Bitcoin.

I will concede that I don't know what the fuck is happening here but it reeks of fish.

A 1500 strong Ask wall (on Bitstamp) should not be getting devoured in these conditions, with so much uncertainty surrounding Bitcoin just around the corner, but it was. So this is surely a bullish signal? That was around 3 million worth of USD trade done at these prices. That was some serious money getting into the game, wasn't it not?

........Or was it just a syndicate of whales playing pass the parcel with a big bunch of Bitcoins?

I would like to have a track record of the accounts operating on the exchanges during these crucial, crunch, and entirely unexpected and unpredictable turns of trading momentum. I guess this is why this stuff must be made public domain on real exchanges, in order to give market participants a clearer view if what is going on behind the trades.

There are powerful forces at work that are determined to keep Bitcoin upheld during this time and I have decided that it isn't wise to bet against them and am fortunate enough to be getting out almost breaking even in doing so. I won't be betting with them either as they have an 'enemy' in the far east that although perhaps not powerful enough to bring them down completely, is certainly powerful enough to tear lumps out of them.

I used to have an ideological view of Bitcoin and was actually amongst the 'early adopters' or users rather, but unfortunately for me I never held onto any of the hundreds of sub $10 Bitcoins that I have bought in the past and I now view Bitcoin as a nasty pernicious vapour asset that will invariably either be killed off, or end up being cornered and controlled by the usual suspects. Freedom it aint going to be, quite the opposite infact.

Because of the aforementioned 'Yellow Peril' that powerful USD based entities are moving to protect Bitcoin against, I think the wisest thing for any Johnny come lately investor to do is sit back and wait. The whales are making great efforts to hold Bitcoin at this level, but the dragon has not even started to breath its fire down on Bitcoin, yet.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ducky1

Activity: 966
Merit: 500

📱 CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SCA

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 05:04:55 PM

Do you ever read any news MatTheCat, or are you only staring at MACD's?

.█
                             .-███
                           .-███-███
                         ..███.   ███
                        .███.      ███
                      .███.         ███
                    .███-            ███
                  .███-               ███
                .███:.                 ███
              .███*.                   .███
 ████████████████████████████         .███████████████
 ███......................███.      .███-...........███
 .███                      ███.   .███-             .███
  .███                      ███ .███:.               .███
    ███.                    .██████.                   ███
     ███.                   .████.                      ███
      ███                  .█████.                      .███
      .███               .███. ███                       .███
        ███.           .███-    ███                        ███
         ███.        .███-      .███                        ███
          ██████████████         -█████████████████████████████
                    ███.                    .███
                     ███                  .███
                      ███:              .███
                       ███-           .███
                        ███.       .-███
                         ███.    .-███
                          ███  ..███
                          .███.███
                           .████
                            -█
.CARTESI.📱.LINUX INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DAPPS.
                               .█
                             .-███
                           .-███-███
                         ..███.   ███
                        .███.      ███
                      .███.         ███
                    .███-            ███
                  .███-               ███
                .███:.                 ███
              .███*.                   .███
 ████████████████████████████         .███████████████
 ███......................███.      .███-...........███
 .███                      ███.   .███-             .███
  .███                      ███ .███:.               .███
    ███.                    .██████.                   ███
     ███.                   .████.                      ███
      ███                  .█████.                      .███
      .███               .███. ███                       .███
        ███.           .███-    ███                        ███
         ███.        .███-      .███                        ███
          ██████████████         -█████████████████████████████
                    ███.                    .███
                     ███                  .███
                      ███:              .███
                       ███-           .███
                        ███.       .-███
                         ███.    .-███
                          ███  ..███
                          .███.███
                           .████
                            -█
FierceRadish

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 05:08:36 PM

...unfortunately for me I never held onto any of the hundreds of sub $10 Bitcoins that I have bought in the past...

...I now view Bitcoin as a nasty pernicious vapour asset...

Correlation?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 05:09:14 PM

Don't try to move the market you idiots, try not to...
daemaethor

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 05:11:16 PM

the wisest thing for any Johnny come lately investor to do HODL and wait.

Oh I'm bitter myself but i realized there is no way to fight the market. Just hodl and wait 2-3yrs.
Better buy now than later.
coinpharmer

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 05:21:32 PM

...unfortunately for me I never held onto any of the hundreds of sub $10 Bitcoins that I have bought in the past...

Correlation?

hahaha i just asked him in another thread what his problems is always thinking the shit will hit the fan. know i know he was a early adopting spender with very weak hands, who fears this vapour asset would not be worth >10, was very wrong, and is now bitter.

your totally right mat, its all those bots, man, and china, and war, bro. fuck war. we need some flowers and coolaid bitcoin
MatTheCat (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 05:24:15 PM

Do you ever read any news MatTheCat, or are you only staring at MACD's?

It is all very well viewing news articles with hindsight and saying Bitcoin up on X news or Bitcoin down on Y news, but it is all bullshit, most of the time anyways.

I have been watching these charts like a hawk and know for a fact that at least the trades that have either protected Bitcoin, or caused it to surge in recent times, were complete anomalies. Such as 3 Million USD worth of trade occurring within 5 minutes and devouring massive Ask walls.

I also watched the weekend correction and witnessed how the USD exchanges absolutely refused to budge as Huobi dived and dived, until enough was perhaps enough for the Joe Bloggs investors who then started to dump. I then witnessed a massive buy order come in on Stamp and save the day as Bitcoin looked all but certain to go smashing through its support level after the dead cat bounce.

This is not a real market. This is a controlled market that went ballistic due to the combination of a surge in interest from China and a limited supply of coins due to whales hoarding. 'Satoshi' himself owns 12% of all Bitcoins in existence. Whether he is a greedy man or not, he or they already have an unimaginable amount of nominal wealth, more than they could ever possibly need. That is someone or some group with over 1 million Bitcoins at hand to nurse the wounds and support the meteoric rise of Bitcoin. Now however that public interest in Bitcoin investment has waned, or indeed has turned full circle with a big load of Chinese coins possibly due to hit the exchanges, it will be interesting to see how the fairy godmother whales, hold up against the onslaught. Whatever the outcome, I won't be losing a penny in the battle. I am totally out for now. Will take another look when the China thing comes to a head.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 05:25:57 PM

Don't try to move the market you idiots, try not to...

Here I am, agreeing with EM, yet again!

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
MatTheCat (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 05:31:19 PM

Correlation?

On the contrary.

Back then, I viewed Bitcoin with much ideological 'fight the banksters' esteem and I always intended to hold onto a pile of Bitcoins just to 'support' the cause. But the problem was that me n my mates are Silk Road regulars. And for that we needed to spend Bitcoins.....and then Intersango got effectively closed down leaving no easy way (that we knew about) to get hold of coins for the Road....so the stash got depleted. I don't delude myself for a minute though that I might otherwise have been a Bitcoin millionaire as I know very well that as soon as I seen that I had multiplied my money by three or four times, I would have creamed my pants and cashed out.

The only way I could be a Bitcoin millionaire today, would be if I fell into a coma sometime in 2012, and came out of it in late November 2013.

Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 05:36:07 PM

I don't delude myself for a minute though that I might otherwise have been a Bitcoin millionaire as I know very well that as soon as I seen that I had multiplied my money by three or four times, I would have creamed my pants and cashed out.

The only way I could be a Bitcoin millionaire today, would be if I fell into a coma sometime in 2012, and came out of it in late November 2013.

Don't worry. I'm sure "luck" would have prevailed.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
threecats

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:05:10 PM

I saw those buys, two of them, one at about 450, the other around 500.

My feeling is that they were unconnected with the continuous pump and dumps and price supporting we seem to have been seeing of late. There was no manuvering on either side of the 2 buys that seem connected.

I think it was fresh money choosing a wise entry point. NY hearing this week, ZipZap in England, Wells Fargo, etc plus China boogieman losing strength.
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512

@theshmadz

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:10:10 PM

<snip>
 Whatever the outcome, I won't be losing a penny in the battle. I am totally out for now. Will take another look when the China thing comes to a head.

Yet again we are of the same mind, yet polar opposites of opinion. We have (now) both left the market for the time being. I've taken my bitcoin and gone home, you've got your dollars. One of us will be right. I honestly hope you are right and we will have more time to buy more coins, but I fear that you might be wrong.

I suspect that it is our hopes and fears that are at polar opposites - or rather - our assessment of risk.

I have trouble sleeping at night when I have bitcoin at risk. If I lose bitcoin, it might be prohibitively expensive for me to get them back, I might never get them back.

If I lose dollars, yeah, it might suck a bit, but I knew I could lose them all at any time when I put them on the exchange, and it's easy to get dollars.

I know I can't change your mind, but there are more than 75 billion dollars being printed per month from QE alone. There are less than 150 thousand* bitcoin created in that same time period.

*should be closer to 110 thousand, but due to the rising difficulty I used 8 blocks per hour instead of 6

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
MatTheCat (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:11:01 PM

I saw those buys, two of them, one at about 450, the other around 500.

My feeling is that they were unconnected with the continuous pump and dumps and price supporting we seem to have been seeing of late. There was no manuvering on either side of the 2 buys that seem connected.

I think it was fresh money choosing a wise entry point. NY hearing this week, ZipZap in England, Wells Fargo, etc plus China boogieman losing strength.

We will see in the weeks to come or even days to come whether they were indeed 'wise' investments or whether that was  a serious amount of dumb money or simply whale manipulation. With a complete lack of transparency on who is behind Bitcoin trades it will be impossible to distinguish for sure between these trades (and many more like them) being dumb money or whale manipulation, but I would suggest that there are a severe lack of dumb cunts operating in these markets with enough clout to make million dollar BTC trades.

I know I can't change your mind, but there are more than 75 billion dollars being printed per month from QE alone. There are less than 150 thousand* bitcoin created in that same time period.

The USD has the greatest military might the world has ever seen behind it. Bitcoin has a handful of zealous whales, who may be able to hold the price up a bit, but can do nothing to prevent Bitcoin being regulated out of clear market operations. If the day comes when I can reliably pay for goods and services at a price fixed in Bitcoins, then I will concern myself with what my Bitcoin balance is rather than what my Bitcoins are worth in relation to USD or GBP.....

.....until then, Bitcoins are just an ultra high risk vapour asset that may or may not progress to offer up multitudes of upside to long term holders.

threecats

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:14:33 PM

That's my  point. I don't think they were dumb.They are placing a bet, Sunday night before the NY hearings, market at 820. 
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:20:25 PM

Mat you are constantly bitching about unseen market players hurting your stash. None of its true. You are just stupid for trading in a time of consolidation. You are too greedy and it's biting you in the ass. Take responsibility for yourself and stop blaming others. It's no ones fault but your own.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:22:00 PM

That was a record breaking volume required to devour a massive Ask wall that had accumulated at the $820 range.

I doubt for a second that this surge in volume, 900 BTC worth of it occurring in one fell strike, the majority of the rest of it hitting within two seperate 1 minute candles, was the result of irrepressible mass public appetite for $820 Bitcoin.

I will concede that I don't know what the fuck is happening here but it reeks of fish.

A 1500 strong Ask wall (on Bitstamp) should not be getting devoured in these conditions, with so much uncertainty surrounding Bitcoin just around the corner, but it was. So this is surely a bullish signal? That was around 3 million worth of USD trade done at these prices. That was some serious money getting into the game, wasn't it not?

........Or was it just a syndicate of whales playing pass the parcel with a big bunch of Bitcoins?

I would like to have a track record of the accounts operating on the exchanges during these crucial, crunch, and entirely unexpected and unpredictable turns of trading momentum. I guess this is why this stuff must be made public domain on real exchanges, in order to give market participants a clearer view if what is going on behind the trades.

There are powerful forces at work that are determined to keep Bitcoin upheld during this time and I have decided that it isn't wise to bet against them and am fortunate enough to be getting out almost breaking even in doing so. I won't be betting with them either as they have an 'enemy' in the far east that although perhaps not powerful enough to bring them down completely, is certainly powerful enough to tear lumps out of them.

I used to have an ideological view of Bitcoin and was actually amongst the 'early adopters' or users rather, but unfortunately for me I never held onto any of the hundreds of sub $10 Bitcoins that I have bought in the past and I now view Bitcoin as a nasty pernicious vapour asset that will invariably either be killed off, or end up being cornered and controlled by the usual suspects. Freedom it aint going to be, quite the opposite infact.

Because of the aforementioned 'Yellow Peril' that powerful USD based entities are moving to protect Bitcoin against, I think the wisest thing for any Johnny come lately investor to do is sit back and wait. The whales are making great efforts to hold Bitcoin at this level, but the dragon has not even started to breath its fire down on Bitcoin, yet.

I haven't read all of your words, because you're words are already confirmed and therefore true.  To summarize, I don't know what you're saying, but I do see that as we speak bitcoin is crashing back down.  So, in short, SHOTR!

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
MatTheCat (OP)

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:22:48 PM

That's my  point. I don't think they were dumb.They are placing a bet, Sunday night before the NY hearings, market at 820. 

U reckon a huge bet placed, possibly with insider info on how the NY hearings are going to go?

U are making my fingers twitch over the all-in long button here!

Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:24:21 PM

What do you get out of these threads?

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:26:44 PM

U reckon a huge bet placed, possibly with insider info on how the NY hearings are going to go?

U are making my fingers twitch over the all-in long button here!

Don't fall for these false tricks, Mat.  You have read the news and looked at the technical analysis from the best and most confirmed sources, and it should be clear to you that bitcoin has failed, and that the market will collapse, thus making SHOTRs very wealthy and the only sensible position.  Martingale maxleverage SHOTRs will prevail!

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
seleme
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028

Duelbits.com

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 06:41:57 PM

Mat, you're buttheart mate, I'd be too on your place to be honest.

But you were stupid three times..  F

irst being ideological about Bitcoin - fuck that, make money from it.

Second for not keeping your cheap coins, what a mistake, one that has to make you bitter.

And third for letting your bitterness influencing your current Bitcoin views and day trading. That one is the biggest, people that let themselves to get emotional and stubborn about market as you were in last few days, don't stand lot of chance.

You have to be ready for both sides of the market, and not exclude any of it. But on the end, after all that Bitcoin has done, being bull is always a better option and one should never go to be so much bear to sell all of his coins.

███████████████▄▄
    ██████████████████████▄
  ██████████████████████████▄
 ███████   ▀████████▀   ████▄
██████████    █▀  ▀    ██████▄
███████████▄▄▀  ██  ▀▄▄████████
███████████          █████████
███████████▀▀▄  ██  ▄▀▀████████
██████████▀   ▀▄  ▄▀   ▀██████▀
 ███████  ▄██▄████▄█▄  █████▀
  ██████████████████████████▀
    ██████████████████████▀