Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 07:58:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: gpu mining and rigs questions  (Read 1244 times)
papamoi (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:23:31 AM

hi guys

i want to test some srypt mining on gpu

i ve found this card

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/1592341665/OEM_AMD_Radeon_R9_280X_3GB.html

do you think it could be profitable to mine with?
beside the card what should i need?

motherboard?ram?how much gpu can fit in one motherboard?etc

thanks

p.s:this is just for experiment purpose

thanks
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 1641

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 08:24:11 AM

It will not be profitable to mine bitcoin with any GPU.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 1641

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 08:32:55 AM

ok, but altcoins are gunna be profitable...
That's fine, but then this thread is in the wrong place.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
papamoi (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:43:36 AM

ok, but altcoins are gunna be profitable...
That's fine, but then this thread is in the wrong place.

hi

i want to setup a minirig for experimental purpose

so if soemeone can point me to a link where i can find what is needed to build it

thanks
vpasic

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 10:00:31 AM

there is no way to earn anything by investing in gpu mining.
gpu-s are to expensive, sucking bunch of electricity and scrypt asic are here so it is matter of day when gpu-s will not make any sense.
sure, you can buy 280x and play and experiment with it but don't expect anything to earn.
earning is that part after returning of investment. well you will never return half of what you invest in that gpu.

Tips: 1Ejj8eANy2PLZVwrWUczkbQ8kQY2JhKqp6
kolesozw
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

FRX: Ferocious Alpha

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 10:06:49 AM

gpu-s are to expensive, sucking bunch of electricity and scrypt asic are here so it is matter of day when gpu-s will not make any sense.

It will take some time before enought scrypt asic are manufactured to make GPU mining unprofitable. I guess 6 to 12 months

papamoi (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 10:15:42 AM
Last edit: January 27, 2014, 10:29:36 AM by papamoi

ok

then how about fpga for scrypt?

how about these?

http://www.sapphirepgs.com/productcata.asp?keyid=14&lang=eng

ot these APU

http://www.sapphirepgs.com/featurepage.asp?IDno=17&lang=eng
vpasic

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:10:12 PM

It will take some time before enought scrypt asic are manufactured to make GPU mining unprofitable. I guess 6 to 12 months

Really?Huh?
Really?HuhHuhHuhHuh??
think again! already happening!!!!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421921.0

also alpha-t will deliver large amount of asic-s on July 15! diff will rise literally overnight and kick gpu-s out of business specially for people who pays electricity.
in about 6 months from now every gpu that you pay right now ore month ago can earn you around half of what you pay for it. beginning of the end for gpu mining is already begun!

vpasic

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:17:05 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2014, 04:32:11 PM by vpasic

there is no scrypt fpga.

and these server gpu-s (S10000),  it's a pair of 7950 strung together on a single board. It's waaaaay overpriced for mining.

papamoi (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:40:08 PM

there is no scrypt fpga.

and these server gpu-s (S10000),  it's a pair of 7950 strung together on a single board. It's waaaaay overpriced for mining.

who said there is no scrypt fpga?

what about this?

https://github.com/kramble/FPGA-Litecoin-Miner
leancuisine

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 04:50:28 PM

sure, you can buy 280x and play and experiment with it but don't expect anything to earn.
earning is that part after returning of investment. well you will never return half of what you invest in that gpu.
Well, I kind of have to disagree with you there. If you get 2700 KH/s of mining power, which can be achieved with 6 R9 270X, that rig will cost around $1500. If you mine Litecoin, you will make around $20 a day after power costs, and after 75 days you start making pure profit. Mine other altcoins or use a switching pool and you can make around $40 a day. It all depends on which coin you mine, and how long the profitability stays. Smiley

vpasic

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 05:25:32 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2014, 05:52:36 PM by vpasic

there is no scrypt fpga.

who said there is no scrypt fpga?

what about this?

https://github.com/kramble/FPGA-Litecoin-Miner

not even close!!
you kidding me?Huh
you know how to read English right???
it's far far far away from finished product!!!

vpasic

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 05:40:42 PM

Well, I kind of have to disagree with you there. If you get 2700 KH/s of mining power, which can be achieved with 6 R9 270X, that rig will cost around $1500. If you mine Litecoin, you will make around $20 a day after power costs, and after 75 days you start making pure profit. Mine other altcoins or use a switching pool and you can make around $40 a day. It all depends on which coin you mine, and how long the profitability stays. Smiley

wrong math!
first of all, don't know where you live but in USA cost of electricity is around $0.15/kWh.
6x270x can suck up 1500W, even more!
so 2700kh/s can earn you:
                        Eypected reward           Pwr           Net Profit
24 hours   0.83292166 LTC   17.00 USD   5.40 USD   11.60 USD

so even if you mine some other scrypt coin you can earn maybe $20/day and you really thing that difficulty won't change for 75 days and you will always be able to earn $20 day???

for that kind of money he can buy antminer 200gh, not fucking around with 6 gpu-s on one motherboard rig and make ROI and START EARNING SOMETHING much sooner.
he can always sell it on ebay but in couple of months when people start ditching gpu-s they will be shit load of them for sale and what are the chances for him to sell them? none!

leancuisine

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 06:03:39 PM

wrong math!
first of all, don't know where you live but in USA cost of electricity is around $0.15/kWh.
                        Eypected reward           Pwr           Net Profit

so even if you mine some other scrypt coin you can earn maybe $20/day and you really thing that difficulty won't change for 75 days and you will always be able to earn $20 day???

for that kind of money he can buy antminer 200gh, not fucking around with 6 gpu-s on one motherboard rig and make ROI and START EARNING SOMETHING much sooner.
he can always sell it on ebay but in couple of months when people start ditching gpu-s they will be shit load of them for sale and what are the chances for him to sell them? none!

Sorry, I forgot that people have different electricity rates.  Cheesy
Where I live, electricity ranges from $0.07 to $0.10/kWh. CoinWarz says $22.10 before power costs, and $19.58 after. $39.79 currently on DOGE. Of course the difficulty will change, but the emerging altcoins are very profitable to mine and exchange immediately, or alternatively use a coin-switching pool. I've been following Litecoin's profitability and it has remained constant at $20 a day for the past month at 2700 KH/s. But you are right, when scrypt ASICs come online it will be the beginning of the end of GPU mining.

vpasic

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 06:18:52 PM

wrong math!
                        Eypected reward           Pwr           Net Profit

Sorry, I forgot that people have different electricity rates.  Cheesy
Where I live, electricity ranges from $0.07 to $0.10/kWh. CoinWarz says $22.10 before power costs, and $19.58 after. $39.79 currently on DOGE. Of course the difficulty will change, but the emerging altcoins are very profitable to mine and exchange immediately, or alternatively use a coin-switching pool. I've been following Litecoin's profitability and it has remained constant at $20 a day for the past month at 2700 KH/s. But you are right, when scrypt ASICs come online it will be the beginning of the end of GPU mining.

yeah and it's already started as I mentioned couple posts up.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421921.0

also there is a bad exchange ratio on coinwarz.
ltc is around $20 right now.
so 0.83LTC/day x $20 = $16.6 - $5 electricity.
so at the end you got like $11 pure profit/day.
or best case scenario $20 mining other crypto and chasing good value for exchange.

leancuisine

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 06:55:27 PM

Dumping, however bad, would be profitable then for altcoins that you mine. Tongue

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: