Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:27:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: delete  (Read 23320 times)
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 08:32:41 PM

A 51% attack is very elementary to what we plan to do. A team of our coders is convinced we can stop the block chain period and control it's direction forward or backwards via a reset. We've actually done it on a small test net.

The purpose of this is knowledge and not to steal.

So I take it you didn't learn anything from the test net?

Mousepotato
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 08:52:24 PM

We notified the exchanges to prevent monetary loses by these guys. The purpose of this is knowledge and not to steal.
Notifying exchanges doesn't prevent monetary loss. If the rewrite occurs then the exchange will end up with a different balance of namecoins compared to the balance held in the exchange database. Loss will occur due to the exchange losing the coins but still having the users balance reflect what they originally deposited. Even adjusting for the blockchain reorganization the exchange loses in time and effort to fix up transactions and deal with irate users who have lost coins.

The only way for an exchange to avoid this is to close.

And this same clown is begging you to make a GG exchange in another thread.  LOL it doesn't get much better than this! 

HI MY NAME IS BITCOINEXPRESS!  HEY DOUBLEC, I'M GOING TO STEAL FROM YOU BUT CAN YOU PLEASE SET UP AN EXCHANGE SO I CAN SELL MY GG COINS? K THX.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:00:00 PM

So I take it you didn't learn anything from the test net?

A test net will not protect itself, you guys are getting a week or so to prepare. A test net is not a "real world" situation either. Namecoin is the perfect candidate. That's why.

I still don't see the point. There is a vulnerability, and a fix is implemented, it will be activated at block number 19200. If you want to test it, why don't you test the network after merged mining is in place? This way, you will not be doing something you already know the result of. What will be gained if the network is rushed for an update? I'm at a loss here. Looks like it's more of a social experiment than a technical one.

1) Developing protection for Bitcoin against exploits
2) Developing a lethal alt chain killer.
3) Making developers aware that when the "bad guys" make you aware of an exploit, FIX IT!

1) Protection is developed and you are not testing it.
2) Merged mining will make this unfeasible if it isn't faulty itself. Better test it instead of preventing.
3) That's exactly what the developers did here. They developed new technology instead of bloating the system with workarounds.

I don't see what you do as offensive but still, I don't see how it will accomplish what you claim it will.
Reckman

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:32:03 PM

in the name of science =p
sultanhost

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:39:34 PM

Could you let us know would you then REVERT damage made if attack would be successful?
Having a few NMC, not a big deal, just curious.
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:41:42 PM

Ok, I've said what i wanted and really have no desire to enter into a flame war.

@Tomatocage
Ignore me if you want that's cool. This whole evolution of this exploit occurred when Artforz posted his exploit. A long time member, coder and Bitcoiner contacted me because they wanted to use my mining firepower to test an enhanced version of the ArtForz exploit. We accidentally discovered it had a whole of unintended abilities.

We tested it, it worked and now we will test it against a live network.

DoubleC and Ruxum, you can ignore me if you want I'm just trying to give you some heads up. Yes it should scare the bejeezus of out anyone with a chain and low hash rate, because it is now possible to do anything we want with block chain in its current evolution.

Attack starts at 19101.

Really interesting project. I wish you good luck with that.

Are you going to post the results and your findings in this topic? I'm really interested in following that.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 09:57:33 PM

Why not Ixcoin instead of Namecoin?

Mousepotato
Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 10:19:02 PM

Well, personally, I'd prefer to see flaccidcoin stepped on due to general grating attitude of "We fixed up MAJOR VULNERABILITY IN BITCOINSIZ, LOLZ" the SolidCoin dude demonstrated, but I guess it's too low hanging a fruit or something...

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
Bobnova

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 10:37:23 PM

Seriously, use ixcoin.  It's already dead and namecoin has a patch coming already.
IMO using namecoin, the only coin that actually has a function, is a shithead move.

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 12:00:58 AM

DoubleC and Ruxum, you can ignore me if you want I'm just trying to give you some heads up.
Where did I say I'd ignore you? I'm taking your warning and closing down my exchanges.
Colargol

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 01:24:25 AM

Where can I get a windows namecoin client/wallet?  

I bought some on the bitparking exchange and didn't mine them myself.

Or what is the best option?

Please donate a few pennies to the singing and dancing bear:
1KUsZU8GkUAQJH5ryqSFtTJGgFtqJnsedE
Bobnova

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 01:37:34 AM

Sell them.

Any namecoins held that were mined after block 10,000 will cease to exist entirely.
Any namecoins transfered after 10,000 will disappear and go back to whoever owned them at block 10,000.

Anybody want to bet on how many namecoins BEX owned at block 10k?
Of course, he'll also be generating many thousand new coins during this attack.

Colargol

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 01:52:48 AM

Sell them.

The namecoin exchanges are closed for trading... and I don't imagine if they were not that anybody is looking to buy.

Any namecoins held that were mined after block 10,000 will cease to exist entirely.

Like I said I didn't mine them and I have no idea when they were mined.  I would just like to keep them in a safe spot in case they are old enough that they won't just go *poof*... 

And if they do does anyone have the real name and address of this cocksucker that wants to have his experiments with others people money?    Angry

Bobnova

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 01:53:51 AM

Store 'em on your computer.
If they were transfered to you on or before block 10k you get to keep 'em.
If not, they go bye bye.

I doubt it, he's still posting.

Colargol

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 01:56:31 AM

Store 'em on your computer.

That's what I am trying to do...  please see my original post.  I am looking for a windows client/wallet.
Or is there a trusted online wallet I could use? 

Stalin-chan

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 02:37:19 AM

I love this experiment, also people need to stop complaining namecoins are experimental which implies they are temporary and so you have no expectation of value from them. They can disappear any day.

You can't simulate amazing results, you must test them in a production environment. Any computer scientist would agree.
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 02:42:05 AM

oh look.

i'll join the attacking party.
just for teh lulz.

Grin

Cosbycoin

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 02:42:49 AM

I love this experiment, also people need to stop complaining namecoins are experimental which implies they are temporary and so you have no expectation of value from them. They can disappear any day.

You can't simulate amazing results, you must test them in a production environment. Any computer scientist would agree.

Bitcoins are also experimental even in the words of Gavin Andresen. So would you advocate an attack on the bitcoin network too if someone had enough hashing power to kill the network? Something tells me you would be against it.
Stalin-chan

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 02:47:28 AM

Bitcoins are also experimental even in the words of Gavin Andresen. So would you advocate an attack on the bitcoin network too if someone had enough hashing power to kill the network? Something tells me you would be against it.

I would say the same thing, bitcoin software is experimental/untested and implies no warranty.
Cosbycoin

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 02:50:13 AM

I would say the same thing, bitcoin software is experimental/untested and implies no warranty.

Hmm then I would advocate that you as well as BitcoinEXpress make plans to attack the Bitcoin network.

Start amassing TH/s of processing power so Bitcoin can be sure to be a safe network to be vested in.

Right, it's too much work to accumulate that much power for BitcoinEXpress or you.

Merged mining was just around the corner and this BS claim that bitcoin supporters and developers are taking too long and are leaving their network open to an outsider attack.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: