Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:21:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: If I built one, would there be any interest?
You have my full support - 10 (66.7%)
I'll suport it, but not for me - 1 (6.7%)
I have no interest in this - 4 (26.7%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Virtual Market  (Read 4272 times)
logansryche (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:19:10 AM
Last edit: September 15, 2011, 01:55:01 AM by logansryche

I've been tossing this around in my head for a while now. My idea is to create a virtual market for all bitcoin business'. The viewer would work much as the Second Life viewer would, except the currency would obviously be bitcoin. If I found a way to create/build such a thing, would there be any interest in it?

Comments? Questions? Critisizm?
I want to hear it all, and don't forget to vote.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 03:40:22 AM

It would certainly be cool and have a wow-factor to it, but I must ask, why doesn't such a thing exist for normal money/goods? Why isn't there a mall like that just for dollar purchases? Or is there?
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 04:15:54 AM

There's several but I either found their interface requiring too much from the gpu or they wanted money up front for membership. I would set the system up so that there's a small trasaction per upload of bitcoin(i mean like 0.003btc small) that would go towards keeping the server going(still finding one that would allow this). The mall itself would be build off a free software suite called OpenSim, and dimensions are measured in meters. Second Life does this as well.

The way everyting would be set up would be a user creates a avatar first name and last name on the site. After the account has been set up, the user would then have an option in the members section to upload btc with their address. This would obviously go to a wallet placed either on the same web server as the opensim server or on a seperate server. Before going in world, the user would have the option of choosing a spot to rent in the mall from an interactive map. This map would show info about the shop like who owns it, who the manager is, what the shop is about, and what the rating for that shop is. I do want to stress that this would not be set up for folks looking to set up shop for a few days and hope to get rich quick with affiliate shops and whatnot. This is designed for true business people that use bitcoins as their currency.

Once all of that is set up, the user will be prompted to download a viewer called Kirstens viewer. The viewer should be able to run on most newer computers but I know it won't run on the desktop I'm currently using(would have to up the memory, video card, OS, and hard drive. CPU's a DC 2.8ghz intel and the current os is XP). What makes this viewer so special is that it allows the upload of models. So let's say you have a computer shop or home office store. You'd build your model of these in 3d studio max or sketchup pro or any other 3d program that supports colleda files, save them as colleda(dae) files and upload them. You'll have an exact 3d representation of what you just made in the 3d program. Uploading and texturing these items would be free of charge.

The management/coding team behind this feat would be myself, my friend Kitsune, and his mate Kurin. Both Kitsune and Kurin have lots of coding knowledge and would be responsible for updating the server files, security and scripting stuff inside the mall(if you've ever scripted inside SL, it's the same here). I myself have building skills so building the mall itself and all the shops and expanding the mall would all be on me.

Here's to alot of support that this gets built ^.^
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 05:40:24 AM

bump...
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 05:53:37 AM

I want to and I think it would bring about a level of professionalism to the the currency.
Let's face it, we're disorganized. You have the WOT over here, another web list over there, a scammer list over there... you get where I'm going with this.

Still begs the question though, if I did build it, who would rent a shop there?
An empty mall is no fun.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 07:31:01 PM

Wow that's some surprising numbers there on the poll. Very interesting indeed.
Looks like I better go talk to my friend and see if I can find a server to host all of this on. Also, I did talk it over with the other members of the team and we decided that it would be fare to charge rent per spot to keep the server going, but not sure the amount quite yet.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 10:24:41 PM

sure what the hay, here's another bump
bitplane

Activity: 321

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2011, 11:32:09 PM

If you're actually going to do this then I recommend using WebGL rather than giving people a client to download. Even if it worked without plugins in Firefox and Chrome I still don't think it would be very successful though, this has been possible using Flash for quite a while and don't know any / haven't ever bought anything from a 3D online shopping centre.

Why? Because when I'm shopping for some product on the web I can instantly search, instantly compare the prices of hundreds of different stores, quickly view photos and reviews by searching the web and so on. Emulating the physical world would be a step backwards from this IMO, it would be a short-lived novelty providing you can use it without downloading a client, or a complete failure otherwise.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2011, 11:59:53 PM

I've looked into trying to do it without needing to download a client, however those services were either way to expensive, required too much out of my graphics card(only have onboard gfx here), didn't see anywhere that suported bitcoin, the list goes on... I've been a member of Second Life since they opened their doors in 1995 and when opensim was released with all of these features in 2008, It was the best way I could show how to do something like this. I'm a builder, not a scripter(I have friends that do that) so I build lol.

I think a visual front for bitcoin shops would be the next step to show we're not a force to be reckoned with. This would eliminate several things that currently plague the market. The server would be secure wit h a gaurenteed 99% uptime eliminating the need of linking several wallets to several sites only to have them disappear. Since we're in a digital age and more folks have a computer now then 20 years ago, this would be another reason to introduce a virtual mall that accepts bitcoins. I mean, if someone introduced me to bitcoins and I had the option to either walk around a simulated mall or browse several websites of products and attempt to compare them all, I'd walk around the mall. The mall would also serve as a meeting place that I'm sorry to say the forums don't have. There's no messenger here or other way to communicate with each other except through postings. This is escpecially true when youre replying to someone or PM'ing someone that's offline or been offline for a few days.

The mall would have every aspect of a real mall. You'd have your shops and your escelators and elevators and your message boards and kiosks and the list goes on. The only difference would be that it's virtual and accepts bitcoins instead of dollars. I honestly believe this idea will work. If I have to fight tooth and nail to get it to the status it deserves, than I will and it will all be 110% worth it.
bitplane

Activity: 321

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 12:13:55 AM

I've looked into trying to do it without needing to download a client, however those services were either way to expensive, required too much out of my graphics card(only have onboard gfx here), didn't see anywhere that suported bitcoin, the list goes on...
Oh, I thought you were talking about a development project, not copy-n-paste programming with the majority of the work being design.

Quote from: logansryche
I mean, if someone introduced me to bitcoins and I had the option to either walk around a simulated mall or browse several websites of products and attempt to compare them all, I'd walk around the mall.
Do you buy more things from shops in Second Life than you do from Amazon / eBay / sites in Google Shopping?

The mall would also serve as a meeting place that I'm sorry to say the forums don't have. There's no messenger here or other way to communicate with each other except through postings.
We have IRC for that.

This is escpecially true when youre replying to someone or PM'ing someone that's offline or been offline for a few days.
People get emails when you send them a PM here on the forums. If they're offline or not responding to emails then I seriously doubt they'd have Second Life open, the same applies to IRC; you can't contact someone when they're offline (this is a bigger issue than not having real-time communication).

The mall would have every aspect of a real mall. You'd have your shops and your escelators and elevators and your message boards and kiosks and the list goes on.
I understand the enthusiasm about modelling things in 3D, I enjoy it myself, but I still don't think that a virtual 3D shop will be able to compete with the web. A real physical shop can't really compete with the web!

I don't mean to crap on your idea, I just don't think it will work. I'll probably check it out if it doesn't involve downloading and running programs, but I don't think I'd actually shop in a virtual mall.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 12:31:09 AM

Sigh... you really have missed the point.
Cablepair was just talking about ideas like this.

Quote from: bitplane
Oh, I thought you were talking about a development project, not copy-n-paste programming with the majority of the work being design
I guess you could see the server software as that, however its up to the individual programmer or team to implement security and changing of the currency and stuff like that. The viewer I suggested would be considered a 3rd party viewer, as there is no official viewer for opensim.

Do you buy more things from shops in Second Life than you do from Amazon / eBay / sites in Google Shopping?
Well seeing how I don't have the luxury of being able to buy items from amazon/ebay/newegg/etc.. and the Linden is a neutral currency in its own right, yes I do. I also have a shop that sells items there as well.

We have IRC for that.
Right and not everyone knows how to use IRC(like me, it confuses me too much).

People get emails when you send them a PM here on the forums. If they're offline or not responding to emails then I seriously doubt they'd have Second Life open, the same applies to IRC; you can't contact someone when they're offline (this is a bigger issue than not having real-time communication).
I'm not saying they are, but if you have a bunch of avatars standing around talking/mingling, then this eliminates the need for email/IRC/ etc...

I understand the enthusiasm about modelling things in 3D, I enjoy it myself, but I still don't think that a virtual 3D shop will be able to compete with the web. A real physical shop can't really compete with the web!
It's not a shop, it's a mall(a collection of shops). You might not have faith in me and that's fine. I've beaten worse odds before. I'm not saying I'll win everyone over, but rather I'm not going to give up because one or two people don't think my idea will stick.

I don't mean to crap on your idea, I just don't think it will work. I'll probably check it out if it doesn't involve downloading and running programs, but I don't think I'd actually shop in a virtual mall.
Well that's on you then. People visit the mall every day in thousands. I don't see how a virtual mall would be any different.

logansryche (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 03:53:08 AM

bump.. got one block built(11 shops).
Will build more in the morning.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 10:11:19 AM

bump
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:28:23 PM

bump
jostmey

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 10:14:36 PM

I like the idea. But you would have to be very careful when creating the website (or software) to make sure people can find what they are looking for very quickly. Otherwise, people will just want to use a "search box".

You should contact me (send my a PM and I will forward you my contact information). I have arguably the largest database of merchandise and services for sale in the bitcoin community. Check out my website www.searchbitcoin.com. I also have a rudimentary API for accessing the database.

I am sending you a PM with my contact information.

Search Bitcoin
Discover the bitcoin economy
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 01:20:34 AM

Yes like a mall directory of some sorts... was thinking about this last night actually.
Like the user could click on a particular store and be teleported to that store.
Haven't worked on the bugs yet.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 02:35:54 AM

I'd rent space for a BitBrew Café.

Still around.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 03:15:59 AM

I'd find this interesting but wouldn't use it if it involved depositing BTC into a wallet for mall use as mentioned above. No way, no how. When I want to buy I should send money to a store for a purchase directly. And it's your job to collect rent from the sellers not from me.

indicasteve

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 05:31:16 AM

I think it's a cool idea and have been thinking about setting up an opensim myself.

I'm pretty good at LSL <-> PHP gateways in SL and have built tons of scripts for different things like rental boxes, networked vendors, teleport systems and such.

If your sim is running, can you PM me instructions to log in and check it out?  I'm using the Phoenix viewer...that works with opensim too I assume?

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 07:52:27 AM

As am i. I believe the latest build of opensim implement mesh, which kirstens viewer is needed for.
That's the reason LL went and outsted Phoenix Viewer(again). My friend in PA said he got a version of opensim going on a hp blade server c7000 4X Unit with sb40c sas backplanes, so we're moving in the right direction with this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: