Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 09:09:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 7970 MAXIMUM KH/S ONLY 600???? *****1000 DOGECOIN REWARD****  (Read 6166 times)
evovi (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:28:24 PM

Hey guys,
I have a sapphire 7970 and I just cant get this thing above 600kh/s  Roll Eyes  Ive tried everything i can think of. First person that suggests something that gets my 7970 over 650kh/s ill give you 1000 dogecoins!!  Cool

I know this card has more to give, whenever ive tuned other cards to their max you start to notice abit of system lag, but Ive never experienced any lag with my 7970.

as soon as I change any of the following my kh/s drops alot.
higher thread concurrency,
lower thread concurrency,
more than 1 thread,
higher intensity,
lower intensity,
increase memory clock,
increase gpu clock,

temps are always good and VRM's arent getting hot either

im using CGminer 3.7.2 on windows 7 x64 sp1

currant settings:
"intensity" : "13",
"vectors" : "1",
"worksize" : "256",
"kernel" : "scrypt",
"lookup-gap" : "2",
"thread-concurrency" : "20400",
"shaders" : "0",
"gpu-engine" : "1150",
"gpu-fan" : "65-65",
"gpu-memclock" : "1375",
"gpu-memdiff" : "0",
"gpu-powertune" : "20",
"gpu-vddc" : "0.000",
"temp-cutoff" : "92",
"temp-overheat" : "86",
"temp-target" : "80",
"api-mcast-port" : "4028",
"api-port" : "4028",
"expiry" : "120",
"gpu-dyninterval" : "7",
"gpu-platform" : "0",
"gpu-threads" : "1",
"hotplug" : "5",
"log" : "5",
"no-pool-disable" : true,
"queue" : "1",
"scan-time" : "30",
"scrypt" : true,
"temp-hysteresis" : "3",
"shares" : "0",
"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin"

Any help tuning this would be much appreciated!!!   Smiley

Silvano

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:59:41 PM

use sgminer 4.0.0
i13
lookup gap 2
tc 8192
powertune 20
engine clock at stock
mem clock at stock

1 find better tc your card start. (multiple of 2048)
2 find high mem your card work (1500 often is a good deal, but card can work over 1800)
3 find high engine your card work (start about 60% of mem value and add 5 per time, good deal are engine = 0.70*memclock)
4 set intensity.

sgminer, works better than cgminer, it is based on cgminer but fixed for only script minig.
only this, can improve your hashrate, after start you only have to find your best setting for best performance in hashrate or in hs/W (if power is not cheap).

if you can, post your batfile and results.

Smiley

EAC: eStpUnXdAACnB8mntosy1H3yiumrFwUdYU  DOGE: DQvMVeWDzetrbcYU7FFrg9Q9KEcDTeQLm2
LOT: M5qBdb43nj53Jjjf8Ci95dgQzoUriQiKDv     MOON: 2UNbhV3RUdFNRiK6wWop6gPawM9xGbbaEn
sighle

Activity: 70

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 09:20:04 PM

How are you determining your thread concurrency? From my experience, higher concurrency is not better for these cards. Try removing the concurrency line from your .conf file, deleting your bat file and seeing what it defaults to. That will give you a good starting point for where you should be.

Your clock speeds need some tweaking. Your core clock is a bit high and your mem clock is a bit low. Try something like 1040 core clock and 1500 mem clock and see where that gets you. These cards can be massively overclocked with few hardware errors but they do get hot so make sure your ventilation is good.

Try it with:

core clock - 1040
mem clock - 1500
intensity - 13
gpu threads - 2
thread concurrency - 8192
everything else the same as you have currently and report back.

[DOGE]: D6EBXikfCaPqcEJULsR2qzrLWyGBdYEwGv
[LTC]: LbPrmVGKnVhn6G8FFGFdthPyP1tjFucZHu
BTC: 1JpJ4tTM2ZCCLQf1jAnTmQbKMq7LGbrmQG
evovi (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 12:09:18 AM

use sgminer 4.0.0
i13
lookup gap 2
tc 8192
powertune 20
engine clock at stock
mem clock at stock

1 find better tc your card start. (multiple of 2048)
2 find high mem your card work (1500 often is a good deal, but card can work over 1800)
3 find high engine your card work (start about 60% of mem value and add 5 per time, good deal are engine = 0.70*memclock)
4 set intensity.

sgminer, works better than cgminer, it is based on cgminer but fixed for only script minig.
only this, can improve your hashrate, after start you only have to find your best setting for best performance in hashrate or in hs/W (if power is not cheap).

if you can, post your batfile and results.

Smiley

tried sgminer 4.0, gives the same exact performance as cgminer with my setup. With a TC of 8192 im able to push the mem clock to 1500 stable. and engine clock to 1125, I havent found any 'sweet spots' when overclocking (5mhz increments). increasing the intensity over 13 results in lower khs and HW errors. Increasing the TC above 8192 lowers my khs until i hit a TC of 20400

with a TC of 8192, 1500mem and 1125 gpu im getting 595khs, (all other settings are same as in first post)

How are you determining your thread concurrency? From my experience, higher concurrency is not better for these cards. Try removing the concurrency line from your .conf file, deleting your bat file and seeing what it defaults to. That will give you a good starting point for where you should be.

Your clock speeds need some tweaking. Your core clock is a bit high and your mem clock is a bit low. Try something like 1040 core clock and 1500 mem clock and see where that gets you. These cards can be massively overclocked with few hardware errors but they do get hot so make sure your ventilation is good.

Try it with:

core clock - 1040
mem clock - 1500
intensity - 13
gpu threads - 2
thread concurrency - 8192
everything else the same as you have currently and report back.

I tried your settings, im getting around 550khs with an intensity of 14, I 13 is around the 450 khs. (first time i have ever seen an increase in khs with an intensity above 13) I 15 gives HW errors
Silvano

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 12:37:54 AM

are your "g" command set on 1 or 2? if it is 2 set it on 1
you will set the bat file with:
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
sgminer.exe -o stratum+tcp://xxxxxxxxx -u xxxxx -p xxxxx -I 13 -g 1 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 22528 --auto-fan --gpu-memclock 1500 --gpu-engine 1110 --gpu-powertune 20 --lookup-gap 2

before to start this setup, look on your sgminer or cgminer folder and delete the .bin files (like this: scrypt130511Thaitilg2tc20480w256l4.bin)

try several tc value, choice the highest your card start

dont forget that command "lookup-gap" is a comand who work with memory, so for high results, set it to 1.
if you undervolt your card and try to find best result saving more power possible, set lookup-gap 2

this setup is alredy overclocked, dont overclock over again.
how is voltage of card? stock voltage? or it is undervolted? use the software "gpu-z" for have it.

EAC: eStpUnXdAACnB8mntosy1H3yiumrFwUdYU  DOGE: DQvMVeWDzetrbcYU7FFrg9Q9KEcDTeQLm2
LOT: M5qBdb43nj53Jjjf8Ci95dgQzoUriQiKDv     MOON: 2UNbhV3RUdFNRiK6wWop6gPawM9xGbbaEn
evovi (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 01:14:07 AM

are your "g" command set on 1 or 2? if it is 2 set it on 1
you will set the bat file with:
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
sgminer.exe -o stratum+tcp://xxxxxxxxx -u xxxxx -p xxxxx -I 13 -g 1 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 22528 --auto-fan --gpu-memclock 1500 --gpu-engine 1110 --gpu-powertune 20 --lookup-gap 2

before to start this setup, look on your sgminer or cgminer folder and delete the .bin files (like this: scrypt130511Thaitilg2tc20480w256l4.bin)

try several tc value, choice the highest your card start

dont forget that command "lookup-gap" is a comand who work with memory, so for high results, set it to 1.
if you undervolt your card and try to find best result saving more power possible, set lookup-gap 2

this setup is alredy overclocked, dont overclock over again.
how is voltage of card? stock voltage? or it is undervolted? use the software "gpu-z" for have it.

the -g command sets how many threads are used, and the results from 1 and 2 threads are above, I have tried many different TC settings,the best for my setup are 8192 and 20400. lookup gap 2 is the highest performance and thats what ive set it to. stock voltage
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 01:15:22 AM

You perhaps need a custom bios: https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=12369.0

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Silvano

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 01:46:34 AM

Hey guys,
I have a sapphire 7970 and I just cant get this thing above 600kh/s  Roll Eyes  Ive tried everything i can think of. First person that suggests something that gets my 7970 over 650kh/s ill give you 1000 dogecoins!!  Cool

I know this card has more to give, whenever ive tuned other cards to their max you start to notice abit of system lag, but Ive never experienced any lag with my 7970.

as soon as I change any of the following my kh/s drops alot.
higher thread concurrency,
lower thread concurrency,
more than 1 thread,
higher intensity,
lower intensity,
increase memory clock,
increase gpu clock,

temps are always good and VRM's arent getting hot either

im using CGminer 3.7.2 on windows 7 x64 sp1

currant settings:
"thread-concurrency" : "20400",
"gpu-engine" : "1150",
"gpu-memclock" : "1375",
"temp-cutoff" : "92",
"temp-overheat" : "86",
"temp-target" : "80",
"expiry" : "120",
"gpu-threads" : "1",
"scan-time" : "30",

Any help tuning this would be much appreciated!!!   Smiley

i missed this.
set your comamnd: --shaders 2048

sighle

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:17:51 AM

Having the "shaders" value at 0 means that it will default to whatever the native value would be for the GPU so changing that won't do anything.

OP; What is the exact model number on the sticker on the back of your GPU? It should look something like FX-797A-**** If it has a V1.0, 2.0 or 5.0 list that too.

I would say you might need to flash a new BIOS to your card but getting ~600 is higher than most people(including myself) get without a BIOS flash. This tells me that you have a setting issue. If you tell me the model number I can help tweak it.

evovi (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:39:57 AM

Having the "shaders" value at 0 means that it will default to whatever the native value would be for the GPU so changing that won't do anything.

OP; What is the exact model number on the sticker on the back of your GPU? It should look something like FX-797A-**** If it has a V1.0, 2.0 or 5.0 list that too.

I would say you might need to flash a new BIOS to your card but getting ~600 is higher than most people(including myself) get without a BIOS flash. This tells me that you have a setting issue. If you tell me the model number I can help tweak it.

PN: 299-1E208-000SA  and SKU#21197-00

in GPU-Z is says REV: N/A so i guess its 1.0???  Many thanks in advance for help!!
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 08:33:39 AM

You perhaps need a custom bios: https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=12369.0

OP, do this...  Smiley

██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Watchy312

Activity: 193

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:43:16 AM

I think your card may be too hot, do not trust your sensor completly, set your fan speed to 100% and see if the hashrate increase
sighle

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 04:04:14 PM

PN: 299-1E208-000SA  and SKU#21197-00

in GPU-Z is says REV: N/A so i guess its 1.0???  Many thanks in advance for help!!

Try this:

"thread-concurrency" : "8192",
"gpu-engine" : "925",
"gpu-memclock" : "1550",
"temp-cutoff" : "95",
"temp-overheat" : "85",
"temp-target" : "75",
"expiry" : "5",
"gpu-threads" : "2",
"scan-time" : "5",

TheQueen74

Activity: 87

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 05:21:02 PM

People had bad luck using those cards but they are as good as (better than?) others.

What kind of 7970 do you have ? I'm running a rig with 5 Sapphire 7970 VaporX ( 11197-12-40G ) and at first it was a slooooow 550 kHs / card... Bad.
Now I can get 700-710 and its stable as a rock.

The key was :
1 - flash the card bios ( for me Sapphire.HD7970.3072.120926.rom was the right one )
2 - Update system drivers to amd-catalyst-13.12 and amdapp_2-9 (I'm runnig Linux, don't know if it's the case for you).
3 - Those settings are important :
"gpu-engine" : "1040",
"gpu-memclock" : "1500",
"gpu-powertune" : "0",

Ask me if you need more informations about flashing the bios, its not an easy part if you have not done that before

Take a look at my rigs on my pool main page

https://www.mining-pool.co.uk/

MINING-POOL.CO.UK [0% fees, SSL, PROP/PPLNS] : NYANCOIN - MICROCOIN - DOGECOIN - CATCOIN
evovi (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:19:07 PM

I think your card may be too hot, do not trust your sensor completly, set your fan speed to 100% and see if the hashrate increase

as i said in the first post the card isnt getting hot.

People had bad luck using those cards but they are as good as (better than?) others.

What kind of 7970 do you have ? I'm running a rig with 5 Sapphire 7970 VaporX ( 11197-12-40G ) and at first it was a slooooow 550 kHs / card... Bad.
Now I can get 700-710 and its stable as a rock.

The key was :
1 - flash the card bios ( for me Sapphire.HD7970.3072.120926.rom was the right one )
2 - Update system drivers to amd-catalyst-13.12 and amdapp_2-9 (I'm runnig Linux, don't know if it's the case for you).
3 - Those settings are important :
"gpu-engine" : "1040",
"gpu-memclock" : "1500",
"gpu-powertune" : "0",

Ask me if you need more informations about flashing the bios, its not an easy part if you have not done that before

thanks for your help!! My card is a sapphire 7970 (stock cooler) exact model is above in another post, Yes i have flashed bios, only a week ago i flashed another card of mine (a 7950) made a noticeable improvement. Ill give it a shot and report back
TheQueen74

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 08:01:33 PM

I was digging into my bookmarks and I think you can have a look at these links :

1 - find an appropriate ROM bios for your card here : http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?manufacturer=Sapphire&model=HD+7970
2 - instructions for flashing with atiflash from here : http://www.cryptobadger.com/2013/10/undervolting-in-linux-via-modified-bios/ ( just skip the part concerning the bios edit )

Notice you must run atiflash from a DOS flash usb stick. It wont work if you flash directly from windows.
You will also need your actual bios version (see picture) to get a compatible one from link 1

when at the DOS command line, you get the card/adapter number and the bios version using this command:
Code:
atiflash.exe -ai

For flashing (DOS command line):
Code:
atiflash.exe -f -p adapter_number your_new.rom

MINING-POOL.CO.UK [0% fees, SSL, PROP/PPLNS] : NYANCOIN - MICROCOIN - DOGECOIN - CATCOIN
evovi (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 09:53:18 PM

Ive tried flashing 2 different bios's on my 7970, both failed to even boot after. so ive just flashed the stock bios back for now. TheQueen74 why cant I use atiwinflash to flash bios???
TheQueen74

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 10:30:13 PM

why cant I use atiwinflash to flash bios???

I didn't used atiwinflash but i would say it "might" work. The important thing to notice is that you can't write a bios correctly on machine where drivers are installed. I know it because as you I failled to flash the bios this way. The result is a bricked GPU and there is no other way but flashing the original bios back, if possible.

So the good reciepe for flashing is : get a compatible bios from techpowerup, flash it using a win98 usb stick in command line. The atiflash.exe I used was v3.99 as 4.17 was not working.

Can you give me the reference of your bios like 015.022.000.001.000000

evovi (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 11:19:22 PM

why cant I use atiwinflash to flash bios???

I didn't used atiwinflash but i would say it "might" work. The important thing to notice is that you can't write a bios correctly on machine where drivers are installed. I know it because as you I failled to flash the bios this way. The result is a bricked GPU and there is no other way but flashing the original bios back, if possible.

So the good reciepe for flashing is : get a compatible bios from techpowerup, flash it using a win98 usb stick in command line. The atiflash.exe I used was v3.99 as 4.17 was not working.

Can you give me the reference of your bios like 015.022.000.001.000000

my bios is 015.012.000.004.000346  if you can recommend a particular bios i should try let me know. and i will try flashing it using a bootable usb stick, atiwinflash has worked in the past for me. but maybe i got lucky? cant brick my cards dual bios  Cool
tenaciouzd

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 11:28:13 PM

any reason why -i 13 and not -i 20?

I get 650khs on my 7950, but if I do -i 13 my khs is significantly lower
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: