Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:01:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First bitcoin related suicide?  (Read 11971 times)
Lucky Cris

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:26:22 AM

man just call 911 and get the police to take you to a psych ward for suicide watch then claim disability and get SSI because you hear voices in your head telling you to kill yourself.

Unfortunately the emergency services tend to be quite useless with people merely feeling suicidal - they MIGHT respond well to an actual attempt, but for mere suicidal ideation (the medical term for "thinking about suicide and thinking it's a good idea") you're better off going straight to a psych.

Not to mention most people who are suicidal do not have "voices in their head" but rather a severe lack of serotonin triggered through a random biochemical glitch or from a life event - or for the truly unlucky both (for example, someone with bipolar who has a bad life event).

The nasty part about depression is it hijacks self-esteem and makes the victim believe that nobody will care (it's a common pattern to see people claim they're doing their friends and family a favour by removing themselves from the situation), when in reality most people have SOMEONE who does care and would be hurt - which is why the best approach is always to encourage people who talk about suicide to talk to their friends and family in person.

Of course some threats are just attention seeking or even plain old trolling, but from personal experience it's best to assume the threat is real and encourage people to seek help - i'd rather be fooled by a few trolls than see someone die who could have been saved, especially as i've had friends who took their own life after people thought they were joking.

You sir are 100% INCORRECT!!! Law Enforcement WILL respond to situation like this. It's amazing that this thread went 5 pages and no one bothered to mention that maybe, just maybe, they should ask the Mod to notify ANY law enforcement agency (even anonymously by friggin email). All the Mod would have to do is obtain his IP, Google its location and anonymously send an email containing his post and his IP to the local police. If the IP is valid and not a proxy, Law Enforcement  would be able to obtain the posters address expeditiously without a warrant because it would be considered "Exigent Circumstances" and negate the need for warrant - at least if it's in the US. I can't speak for any other country.

I did my part and notified the Mod --"report to Mod". It's now in the hands of BitcoinTalk since I can't obtain the poster's IP myself.

Maybe I'm over reacting, but it's outrageous that someone would be posting information about things that they truly aren't knowledgeable about rather than attempting to actually do something about the situation to help the individual. Maybe he's just a scammer trying to get free coins with a sob story, which is more likely the case, but what if he's not.

You're right, perhaps. I was one of the first to respond and advised OP to seek help away from this forum. It didn't dawn on me that this could've been the warning before the bang. I usually don't miss much, but it was 4am. Even so, there's no way we could predict the outcome. What if we got the mods involved (they probably wouldn't anyways) in this situation, send LE to his home (or place of work), when all he was feeling was a little down and wanted to spark conversation? LE's doing an incident report (he'd never know), but this reference would follow him forever.

Most of the responders tried to offer reassuring words of encouragement; and for most, that's as far as it goes... it is the internet after all. What I found sickening were all the people who automatically thought this was a scam or tried to bully him into moving forward with it. Yet another reason why we heart the bitcoin community.

I can't say either way whether this poster is scamming or not. But what if he isn't. Our concern as a community shouldn't be that he'll have an "incident report" to follow him around. Our primary concern should be that someone went to his door and asked if he was okay and wanted to speak in person. The "incident report" actually WOULD NOT follow him around, since he's not committing any crime. In NYC, the "incident report" is known as an "Aided Card". One would be prepared if you fell and broke your arm on the sidewalk or as in the case of the OP, if you had suicidal thoughts. He's not committing any crime and therefore would not be treated, categorized or reported as a criminal. And the Aided Card is not public information, yes like most other documents that the government possesses it can be FOIL-ed, but you'd have to already know that the incident took place and you'd have to have some really specific information (name, dob, address, etc) to even attempt to obtain a copy of it. And if you already knew that why would you FOIL it.

Sorry to digress, just in short, as you've said, rather than ridiculing and bullying, we should have done more as community to ensure that we did everything possible to assist the OP.

No need to apologize... it's still informative nonetheless Smiley It's no one concern that OP would have a report (no matter what it's called) follow him around, it was an attempt to show you that sometimes the right thing to do isn't always the right thing to do in some cases. Just because a report was written about you doesn't make you a criminal. There's no crime in thinking or attempting to take your life, but it is a crime (literally) against society if you succeed. For further thought, not necessarily discussion....

Should we begin making inquiries like this when we see these types of comments pasted on boards on the internet? Would about the youtube comments, or CNN? At what point do you use better judgement to determine whether someone is serious or not? Actually I'm not sure I had to go there because it's pretty evident that's something most in this community lack.

And about the report following one around... they do. I take it you've never had a serious inquiry into your background before - believe me, they find everything! Not that it's a real baddie... but what if he didn't want 'they' to know he engages in bitcoin activities?

Again, I actually agree with your position, just trying to give a different perspective is all.

OP, so sorry for high jacking your thread. But at least you know there are those of us who care Smiley  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lucky Cris

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:31:59 AM

Sorry to digress, just in short, as you've said, rather than ridiculing and bullying, we should have done more as community to ensure that we did everything possible to assist the OP.

That is nonsense, people who commit suicide rarely tell others they are going to.

Telling others you are going to commit suicide before doing it,
is like calling the bank and letting em know you are coming to rob them.

Saying "I'm going to commit suicide." is the same as "Please give me attention, I feel my life is somehow bad."

If he made 80 BTC day trading I feel no sympathy for the OP,
day trading is against the ideals of BTC, and his 80 BTC loss was karma taking back what's hers.

So uninformed. Here: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/suicide_prevention.htm If you'd like, I can pull a few scholarly articles but I have the sense that you wouldn't have the sense to understand it. I'm sure wikipedia has this info too.

Please STFU with your nonsense opinions bully.

last2come222

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:32:28 AM

You can always find things around you worth living for.
7Priest7

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:39:54 AM

So uninformed. Here: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/suicide_prevention.htm If you'd like, I can pull a few scholarly articles but I have the sense that you wouldn't have the sense to understand it. I'm sure wikipedia has this info too.

From your own article
Most people who commit suicide don't want to die—they just want to stop hurting.

He never really wanted death.
He is just being a whiny little b.
Everybody has a lot of hardship, OP needs to just deal with it.

Lastly I'm ignoring you, I resent being called a bully.

iheartubuntu

Activity: 44

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:41:50 AM

day trading is against the ideals of BTC, and his 80 BTC loss was karma taking back what's hers.

EDIT: I would feel no sympathy/sadness/empathy for any individual who chose suicide due to monetary/greed reasons.
I have seen/given money to homeless people who seemed happy.
A person can survive with a lot less than people think.

Do you have no heart man? No heart at all? I was in line the other day at In-N-Out getting myself a delicious burger. I was waiting 14 cars deep. I was there 45 minutes in the line. I was bored and tired and not hungry after all of that. But I knew my wife would still want a burger so I proceeded to wait. When I pulled up to the window I asked how much and they said it was free! So ... why? Why free? They said the person in front of me paid for my bill. WOW. It was a revelation moment that there is some little bit of good in the world. So I paid it forward by paying the persons bill in the car behind me. I hope it kept going after that. Talk about awesome!

Next time youre in line someplace... just f**king randomly pay for the person behind you. See how the world reacts. Thing about positive thoughts always. If you are not into paying the guy behind you.... do it with a $10 dollar bill. Hold it in your hands, think about the world and the universe and ask the universe how you can help out with that little $10. Think about it all day. The universe will answer back to you, I promise. It might be an old lady without a home needing a meal, or a man on the side of the road who needs $10 for gasoline, or even a woman who gives kisses for $10. Ha! It could be anything, but it will be something and you will feel connected to everyone including me and Chris and Gareth and Dev.
Lucky Cris

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:27:06 AM

So uninformed. Here: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/suicide_prevention.htm If you'd like, I can pull a few scholarly articles but I have the sense that you wouldn't have the sense to understand it. I'm sure wikipedia has this info too.

From your own article
Most people who commit suicide don't want to die—they just want to stop hurting.

He never really wanted death.
He is just being a whiny little b.
Everybody has a lot of hardship, OP needs to just deal with it.

Lastly I'm ignoring you, I resent being called a bully.

Of course most don't WANT to commit suicide idiot, they just feel as if it's the only way out, relief. Like I said, you wouldn't comprehend, no surprise.

And please ignore me. Hopefully I won't have to endure reading the trash that you put out.

LOOK everyone!!! I'm being ignored by someone who can't take what they dish out! Boo hoo!

A bully who feels he has the need to put people down when they're already feeling down.

You know 7Priest7... this says a lot about your character.

Lucky Cris

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:30:02 AM

EDIT: I would feel no sympathy/sadness/empathy for any individual who chose suicide due to monetary/greed reasons.
I have seen/given money to homeless people who seemed happy.
A person can survive with a lot less than people think.

Do you have no heart man? No heart at all? I was in line the other day at In-N-Out getting myself a delicious burger. I was waiting 14 cars deep. I was there 45 minutes in the line. I was bored and tired and not hungry after all of that. But I knew my wife would still want a burger so I proceeded to wait. When I pulled up to the window I asked how much and they said it was free! So ... why? Why free? They said the person in front of me paid for my bill. WOW. It was a revelation moment that there is some little bit of good in the world. So I paid it forward by paying the persons bill in the car behind me. I hope it kept going after that. Talk about awesome!

Next time youre in line someplace... just f**king randomly pay for the person behind you. See how the world reacts. Thing about positive thoughts always. If you are not into paying the guy behind you.... do it with a $10 dollar bill. Hold it in your hands, think about the world and the universe and ask the universe how you can help out with that little $10. Think about it all day. The universe will answer back to you, I promise. It might be an old lady without a home needing a meal, or a man on the side of the road who needs $10 for gasoline, or even a woman who gives kisses for $10. Ha! It could be anything, but it will be something and you will feel connected to everyone including me and Chris and Gareth and Dev.

Thanks. My ill feelings toward the heartless is gone after reading this. Sometimes I forget there's no end without a beginning, no bad without good, no rich without the poor. Equilibrium.

phazon307

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Don't fear Crypto Exchanges go with honest well kn

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:33:09 AM

When thinking about suicide always remember this just because today is bad doesn't mean tomorrow will be the same. If you got that man once you can do it again you just may have to try harder this time around. how you lose trading? I start out with small amount work my way up don't get greedy that is how people lose is they get greedy. Best way is to take what you know you can't live without set it aside and leave it alone then gamble with the rest.

Win up $200.00 usd in bitcoins every hour.
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 02:29:04 PM

Luke 15:11-32

New International Version (NIV)
The Parable of the Lost Son

11 Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them.

13 “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father.

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

25 “Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27 ‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’

28 “The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’

31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.
32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

One of my favorite!

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 02:43:56 PM

What's the moral?

iheartubuntu

Activity: 44

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 02:54:16 PM

What's the moral?

I like this parable and parables in general, but Ive personally seen people use this particular parable to their advantage on their elderly parents. So I have mixed feelings about it.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 02:56:46 PM

What's the moral?

I like this parable and parables in general, but Ive personally seen people use this particular parable to their advantage on their elderly parents. So I have mixed feelings about it.

How's that side expressed?

wmr42393

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 03:11:15 PM

I think the 1st suicide will be a dogecoiner.

such delusion, very overdose, wow, much self-destruction.

+1 hahah

but to the original poster.  were you not insured, house insurance for example?

I hope you are able to recover from this loss. remember some people live on less then a dollar a day! You can bounce back, however distant that feels now.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 03:46:45 PM

Praying for you man.

~Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Belief in God/Heaven and Jesus just encourages suicide.
Don't encourage him.

How so? Come on man.

One of many: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 03:51:17 PM

How so? Come on man.
The popular Christian belief is that Jesus died for ALL of your sins. <opted to not change the glow from red to yellow>
Suicidal individuals that believe they will go to heaven, are more likely to commit suicide.

When dealing with suicidal individuals, avoid anything that may have any good after death experiences(most religions).
Take the person to a morg and let them touch a cold body instead.
Nothing like seeing a real dead person, to scare the suicidal thoughts right out of someone.

Letting them attempt suicide also works pretty good, alot of really anguished thoughts cross a suicidal persons mind while attempting suicide.

I recommended the book and method as it takes ALOT of prep, during which most people would come to their senses.

You've heard of suicide-by-cop, so is this the first suicide-by-Romans (or is it suicide-by-Jews, for I'm not that versed on the verses?)?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 03:57:26 PM

Praying for you man.

~Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Belief in God/Heaven and Jesus just encourages suicide.
Don't encourage him.

Seeing the fibonacci sequence in nature helps me realize we were created by intelligent design. From flowers, sea shells, spider webs, oak trees, pinecones, pineapples, all the way to galaxies. AWESOME!

If I were a Supreme Being, I would have created a more complex system oppose to using an easy one for all-things-considered to develop.

"I am God! Look at me!"

"Whatever, Dude!"
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 04:00:39 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2014, 04:12:52 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

I am not really sure if this is a good idea Undecided

It's a risky idea if they have a gun.
Usually attempted(failed) suicides are pill related.
If he/she has not thoroughly researched suicide he/she will probably just swallow some pills and alcohol, pass out, vomit, wake up in a pool of his/her own puke.

If he/she is foolish in the pill he/she attempts to use for suicide, he/she may be left with some permanent damage.
If the OP does read this after waking up in vomit, seek medical attention.
They can purge your system if you act fast.

Been there, done that--TWICE! Damn, I miss their pussies! Luckily, for me, I've yet to meet a goat worth killing myself over, albeit one came pretty damn close once.

Lucky Cris

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:06:08 PM

How so? Come on man.
The popular Christian belief is that Jesus died for ALL of your sins. <opted to not change the glow from red to yellow>
Suicidal individuals that believe they will go to heaven, are more likely to commit suicide.

When dealing with suicidal individuals, avoid anything that may have any good after death experiences(most religions).
Take the person to a morg and let them touch a cold body instead.
Nothing like seeing a real dead person, to scare the suicidal thoughts right out of someone.

Letting them attempt suicide also works pretty good, alot of really anguished thoughts cross a suicidal persons mind while attempting suicide.

I recommended the book and method as it takes ALOT of prep, during which most people would come to their senses.

You've heard of suicide-by-cop, so is this the first suicide-by-Romans (or is it suicide-by-Jews, for I'm not that versed on the verses?)?

Dear lord. I'm not a Christian, but grew up around many and I respect their beliefs - all religions. This Priest character is a character. I'm not sure what Jesus' sacrificial death has to do with suicide, anybody? And I thought Christians believe that suicide is a sin that will cast their ass straight to hell? You're actually promoting that people attempt suicide? Jesus Christ.

Thank God I'm on Priest's ignore list... lest I might have to read an even more ignorant response to this.  

Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:38:02 PM

man just call 911 and get the police to take you to a psych ward for suicide watch then claim disability and get SSI because you hear voices in your head telling you to kill yourself.

Unfortunately the emergency services tend to be quite useless with people merely feeling suicidal - they MIGHT respond well to an actual attempt, but for mere suicidal ideation (the medical term for "thinking about suicide and thinking it's a good idea") you're better off going straight to a psych.

Not to mention most people who are suicidal do not have "voices in their head" but rather a severe lack of serotonin triggered through a random biochemical glitch or from a life event - or for the truly unlucky both (for example, someone with bipolar who has a bad life event).

The nasty part about depression is it hijacks self-esteem and makes the victim believe that nobody will care (it's a common pattern to see people claim they're doing their friends and family a favour by removing themselves from the situation), when in reality most people have SOMEONE who does care and would be hurt - which is why the best approach is always to encourage people who talk about suicide to talk to their friends and family in person.

Of course some threats are just attention seeking or even plain old trolling, but from personal experience it's best to assume the threat is real and encourage people to seek help - i'd rather be fooled by a few trolls than see someone die who could have been saved, especially as i've had friends who took their own life after people thought they were joking.

You sir are 100% INCORRECT!!! Law Enforcement WILL respond to situation like this. It's amazing that this thread went 5 pages and no one bothered to mention that maybe, just maybe, they should ask the Mod to notify ANY law enforcement agency (even anonymously by friggin email). All the Mod would have to do is obtain his IP, Google its location and anonymously send an email containing his post and his IP to the local police. If the IP is valid and not a proxy, Law Enforcement  would be able to obtain the posters address expeditiously without a warrant because it would be considered "Exigent Circumstances" and negate the need for warrant - at least if it's in the US. I can't speak for any other country. And before anyone starts with the b.s. about snitching. This isn't about a dime bag or other nonsense. Someone made a post that in substance said that they wanted to kill themself. ---- if his initial post is legit, your intention is to save his life.

I did my part and notified the Mod --"report to Mod". It's now in the hands of BitcoinTalk since I can't obtain the poster's IP myself.

Maybe I'm over reacting, but it's outrageous that someone would be posting information about things that they truly aren't knowledgeable about rather than attempting to actually do something about the situation to help the individual. Maybe he's just a scammer trying to get free coins with a sob story, which is more likely the case, but what if he's not.

If there's no actual plan in place or no attempt then police will in fact not usually be of a lot of use - I have direct personal experience in this area and know what i'm talking about. In my experience (and i've had to handle way too many cases of suicidal people to count) law enforcement will respond if someone is RIGHT THERE AND THEN making an attempt, but otherwise will not respond to pure suicidal ideation.

The way to help people is to get them to see a psychiatrist.
Lucky Cris

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:02:08 PM

You sir are 100% INCORRECT!!! Law Enforcement WILL respond to situation like this. It's amazing that this thread went 5 pages and no one bothered to mention that maybe, just maybe, they should ask the Mod to notify ANY law enforcement agency (even anonymously by friggin email). All the Mod would have to do is obtain his IP, Google its location and anonymously send an email containing his post and his IP to the local police. If the IP is valid and not a proxy, Law Enforcement  would be able to obtain the posters address expeditiously without a warrant because it would be considered "Exigent Circumstances" and negate the need for warrant - at least if it's in the US. I can't speak for any other country. And before anyone starts with the b.s. about snitching. This isn't about a dime bag or other nonsense. Someone made a post that in substance said that they wanted to kill themself. ---- if his initial post is legit, your intention is to save his life.

If there's no actual plan in place or no attempt then police will in fact not usually be of a lot of use - I have direct personal experience in this area and know what i'm talking about. In my experience (and i've had to handle way too many cases of suicidal people to count) law enforcement will respond if someone is RIGHT THERE AND THEN making an attempt, but otherwise will not respond to pure suicidal ideation.

The way to help people is to get them to see a psychiatrist.

huh? Where are you located, the US? My local PD would respond (and I believe most accredited departments have to). There may not be any action taken e.g., escort to hospital for psych eval, but they WILL respond. LE's job doesn't all revolve around criminal activity. Their purpose is to protect and serve; meaning provide service to their citizenship. That service comes in the form of changing flat tires, escorting funeral processions, giving the elderly a ride to the grocery store, performing lifesaving CPR on a bloody baby a mother pushed out on her living room floor, and the list goes on. This is the type of service they swear to uphold. No, it's not in the job description, but protecting the lives and serving the people is what they do. And they do because they care, not because of the lousy ass paycheck.

I'd like to know which departments won't respond to conduct a welfare check if someone is having suicidal thoughts. Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. I have direct personal experience with LE. I know what I'm talking about... and I'd be willing to put some coins on it. I'm that confident.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: