Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:48:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First bitcoin related suicide?  (Read 11972 times)
Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:15:56 PM

Maybe you've had better experience than me, but in all the cases i've contacted law enforcement over someone suicidal they've only responded if the person in question was making an active attempt - they did not respond when it was simply suicidal ideation without an active attempt.

When there is an active attempt, they will intervene, otherwise their response has usually been "not our role".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lucky Cris

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:48:24 PM

Maybe you've had better experience than me, but in all the cases i've contacted law enforcement over someone suicidal they've only responded if the person in question was making an active attempt - they did not respond when it was simply suicidal ideation without an active attempt.

When there is an active attempt, they will intervene, otherwise their response has usually been "not our role".

I have up close and personal experience actually. I'm not sure what type of work you do; a public servant/work in civil services... if this applies to you --> Just understand that you too could be named in a lawsuit should someone call LE because their spouse is having suicidal thoughts, LE don't respond for a 'welfare check' and the person follows through. Depending on your role, you could be named a defendant vice witness. I'd have to know more to determine whether vicarious or another form of secondary liability would apply.

But hell, with today's laws, people can sue for anything, right? Smiley  Let me get pulled over for intoxication (will never happen, I don't drink) and LE let me go with a warning and I get into a wreck and hurt myself or someone... I'd sue their asses for jeopardizing my life and others' because they failed to arrest me for DUI. Really I wouldn't sue, that's just an example to show you how far things can go.

Back on topic, perhaps you have a lazy department servicing your municipality, or they're just pulling a fast one over your eyes, IDK. Not all of them are good, and we all know the uninformed are taken advantage of. But if I were you, I'd become informed; just so I'd know I'm protected if something like that ever happened. Just saying. Sorry - I know I talk too damn much.

Gareth Nelson

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:52:06 PM

I have up close and personal experience actually. I'm not sure what type of work you do; a public servant/work in civil services... if this applies to you --> Just understand that you too could be named in a lawsuit should someone call LE because their spouse is having suicidal thoughts, LE don't respond for a 'welfare check' and the person follows through. Depending on your role, you could be named a defendant vice witness. I'd have to know more to determine whether vicarious or another form of secondary liability would apply.

But hell, with today's laws, people can sue for anything, right? Smiley  Let me get pulled over for intoxication (will never happen, I don't drink) and LE let me go with a warning and I get into a wreck and hurt myself or someone... I'd sue their asses for jeopardizing my life and others' because they failed to arrest me for DUI. Really I wouldn't sue, that's just an example to show you how far things can go.

Back on topic, perhaps you have a lazy department servicing your municipality, or they're just pulling a fast one over your eyes, IDK. Not all of them are good, and we all know the uninformed are taken advantage of. But if I were you, I'd become informed; just so I'd know I'm protected if something like that ever happened. Just saying. Sorry - I know I talk too damn much.

I've run online communities for autistics who tend to also have various mental health problems, including suicide threats - and in every case i've reported a threat to law enforcement they only acted if there was an imminent danger of an actual attempt, otherwise they advised it was not their role and stated that I should contact the individual's healthcare provider.

To be fair, in cases of an imminent attempt (i.e a person posted "i've just taken a bottle of pills") the police were quick to locate them and act. Simply seeing someone express suicidal thoughts was never enough to get law enforcement to respond.
Lucky Cris

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:45:24 PM

I've run online communities for autistics who tend to also have various mental health problems, including suicide threats - and in every case i've reported a threat to law enforcement they only acted if there was an imminent danger of an actual attempt, otherwise they advised it was not their role and stated that I should contact the individual's healthcare provider.

To be fair, in cases of an imminent attempt (i.e a person posted "i've just taken a bottle of pills") the police were quick to locate them and act. Simply seeing someone express suicidal thoughts was never enough to get law enforcement to respond.

Ah! That brings another beast into the equation... perhaps a slightly different beast? This piece is out of my league; way too many variables for me to even pretend I know what I'd be talking about. So I guess in this situation, the mentally ill person making the threats has immediate supervision (therefore no opportunity), don't have the ability to act, so their life isn't in jeopardy? Just can't imagine a non response in situations where opportunity, ability, and jeopardy exists.

Gareth Nelson

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 06:58:24 PM

Ah! That brings another beast into the equation... perhaps a slightly different beast? This piece is out of my league; way too many variables for me to even pretend I know what I'd be talking about. So I guess in this situation, the mentally ill person making the threats has immediate supervision (therefore no opportunity), don't have the ability to act, so their life isn't in jeopardy? Just can't imagine a non response in situations where opportunity, ability, and jeopardy exists.

Unfortunately not quite - most people with mental health issues are NOT under constant supervision (and in fact should not be unless it's absolutely necessary).

Neither do they not have the ability to act. Do not read "mental illness" as the hollywood depiction of someone shouting at invisible voices in their head, it's far more complex than that and suicidal depression in itself is a mental illness which manifests purely as regular old depression combined with suicidal ideation.
Lucky Cris

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:41:06 PM

Unfortunately not quite - most people with mental health issues are NOT under constant supervision (and in fact should not be unless it's absolutely necessary).

Neither do they not have the ability to act. Do not read "mental illness" as the hollywood depiction of someone shouting at invisible voices in their head, it's far more complex than that and suicidal depression in itself is a mental illness which manifests purely as regular old depression combined with suicidal ideation.

I won't pretend to know where to begin to with this one; too many variables outside of my scope to consider. Obviously the hollywood versions mandate a response (high potential for violence), and so do cases where a person is clinically depressed (more likely to act). Mentally ill or not, I can't think of one reason why LE won't respond, but evidently they exist. Pure speculation at this point but it could be because it's third party info, the person might not be threatening only thoughts with no desire to act, IDK to be honest. But the last thing I want to do is rent out space in head to thinking about it; that space is already reserved Tongue  I'll have to get back with you if one comes to mind.

Boy, haven't we highjacked this thread? Good stuff though - I hope others found it informative.

And why can't the the majority of communication exchanges on this forum debate with tact like us? Another thread I suppose Tongue We should do this again.

tsoPANos

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

In math we trust.

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:45:21 PM

Please don't suicide.
Life is not just money.
ALso, you can make a good re-start and be more cautious.
Security should be high priority
Gareth Nelson

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:56:36 PM

I won't pretend to know where to begin to with this one; too many variables outside of my scope to consider. Obviously the hollywood versions mandate a response (high potential for violence), and so do cases where a person is clinically depressed (more likely to act). Mentally ill or not, I can't think of one reason why LE won't respond, but evidently they exist. Pure speculation at this point but it could be because it's third party info, the person might not be threatening only thoughts with no desire to act, IDK to be honest. But the last thing I want to do is rent out space in head to thinking about it; that space is already reserved Tongue  I'll have to get back with you if one comes to mind.

Boy, haven't we highjacked this thread? Good stuff though - I hope others found it informative.

And why can't the the majority of communication exchanges on this forum debate with tact like us? Another thread I suppose Tongue We should do this again.

We have indeed hijacked this thread a tad, i've PMed the OP asking if he's alright and offering to help him contact local services if he needs it.
Lucky Cris

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 08:25:17 PM

We have indeed hijacked this thread a tad, i've PMed the OP asking if he's alright and offering to help him contact local services if he needs it.

See OP - there are people who actually care Smiley Just brush/laugh off the comments from those bullies. Take it one day at a time Smiley

2tights

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2014, 08:44:14 PM

See OP - there are people who actually care Smiley Just brush/laugh off the comments from those bullies. Take it one day at a time Smiley

+1

iheartubuntu

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 01:07:10 AM

I did receive a reply from him thru PM, he was alive as of yesterday. Today? IDK.

It would be super kind if the OP gave a status.
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 06:28:33 PM

Sometimes its the devil trying to kill people, when they are thinking of killing themselves.

You might consider getting help from a priest.

I remember how the devil tried to get me to throw myself off of a high bridge into a swift moving river one time,
many years ago. I just barely survived, and I did not jump off the bridge.

but I wound up going to a christian priest at the salvation army, that very day.

The priest did not really seem to know what to do.
But the priest asked me if I wanted to receive Jesus, and Jesus could help me.
I said ok.

Then the priest annointed my head with oil, and he prayed that Jesus would help me, and become
my lord and savior. He gave me a holy bible to read.

And I received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I then got help from Jesus after that,
to help with rebuking the devil.

I used to read psalm 91 out loud repetitively, asking for Gods protection.

And sometimes its the God trying to kill people.
(For every element of empty set every proposition is true.)
Mythul

Activity: 644

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 06:32:27 PM

Don't commit suicide over virtual money !
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:51:49 PM

Don't commit suicide over virtual money !

Don't commit suicide over any money.
startselect

Activity: 313

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 07:45:06 AM

I sometimes feel horrible because something always kept me from looking further into Bitcoin until recently, and it gets me thinking of all the things that I could have avoided in my life, and how much better my life would be. I keep thinking back to that moment that I just decided not to look deeper into it like I do with everything that I read about, with an open mind. So up my ally, I missed out on mining Litecoins when it was new, buying Bitcoins and Litecoins when they were worth .25 and dollars each. And how I don't have enough Bitcoins now to invest in many coins that I'm interested in. But there's still always new opportunity. Like NEM gave me some hope because of how cheap it is. If it reaches 4 cents per coin then perhaps you can make 80 thousand dollars. Assuming that a share is 1 million coin.
Gareth Nelson

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 03:15:02 PM

Sometimes its the devil trying to kill people, when they are thinking of killing themselves.

You might consider getting help from a priest.

I remember how the devil tried to get me to throw myself off of a high bridge into a swift moving river one time,
many years ago. I just barely survived, and I did not jump off the bridge.

but I wound up going to a christian priest at the salvation army, that very day.

The priest did not really seem to know what to do.
But the priest asked me if I wanted to receive Jesus, and Jesus could help me.
I said ok.

Then the priest annointed my head with oil, and he prayed that Jesus would help me, and become
my lord and savior. He gave me a holy bible to read.

And I received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I then got help from Jesus after that,
to help with rebuking the devil.

I used to read psalm 91 out loud repetitively, asking for Gods protection.

No offence, but the religious stuff is really not appropriate - it's not "the devil" who makes people take their lives or harm themselves - it's mental illness (specifically depression), and this is something that needs proper help from a medical professional.

A priest may be a supportive figure for a believer (and without knowing the OP you don't know what his religious beliefs are), but they can only be there to "lean on" and should not be the primary source of treatment.
yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 03:56:47 PM

man just call 911 and get the police to take you to a psych ward for suicide watch then claim disability and get SSI because you hear voices in your head telling you to kill yourself.

Unfortunately the emergency services tend to be quite useless with people merely feeling suicidal - they MIGHT respond well to an actual attempt, but for mere suicidal ideation (the medical term for "thinking about suicide and thinking it's a good idea") you're better off going straight to a psych.

Not to mention most people who are suicidal do not have "voices in their head" but rather a severe lack of serotonin triggered through a random biochemical glitch or from a life event - or for the truly unlucky both (for example, someone with bipolar who has a bad life event).

The nasty part about depression is it hijacks self-esteem and makes the victim believe that nobody will care (it's a common pattern to see people claim they're doing their friends and family a favour by removing themselves from the situation), when in reality most people have SOMEONE who does care and would be hurt - which is why the best approach is always to encourage people who talk about suicide to talk to their friends and family in person.

Of course some threats are just attention seeking or even plain old trolling, but from personal experience it's best to assume the threat is real and encourage people to seek help - i'd rather be fooled by a few trolls than see someone die who could have been saved, especially as i've had friends who took their own life after people thought they were joking.

You sir are 100% INCORRECT!!! Law Enforcement WILL respond to situation like this. It's amazing that this thread went 5 pages and no one bothered to mention that maybe, just maybe, they should ask the Mod to notify ANY law enforcement agency (even anonymously by friggin email). All the Mod would have to do is obtain his IP, Google its location and anonymously send an email containing his post and his IP to the local police. If the IP is valid and not a proxy, Law Enforcement  would be able to obtain the posters address expeditiously without a warrant because it would be considered "Exigent Circumstances" and negate the need for warrant - at least if it's in the US. I can't speak for any other country. And before anyone starts with the b.s. about snitching. This isn't about a dime bag or other nonsense. Someone made a post that in substance said that they wanted to kill themself. ---- if his initial post is legit, your intention is to save his life.

I did my part and notified the Mod --"report to Mod". It's now in the hands of BitcoinTalk since I can't obtain the poster's IP myself.

Maybe I'm over reacting, but it's outrageous that someone would be posting information about things that they truly aren't knowledgeable about rather than attempting to actually do something about the situation to help the individual. Maybe he's just a scammer trying to get free coins with a sob story, which is more likely the case, but what if he's not.

If there's no actual plan in place or no attempt then police will in fact not usually be of a lot of use - I have direct personal experience in this area and know what i'm talking about. In my experience (and i've had to handle way too many cases of suicidal people to count) law enforcement will respond if someone is RIGHT THERE AND THEN making an attempt, but otherwise will not respond to pure suicidal ideation.

The way to help people is to get them to see a psychiatrist.

huh? Where are you located, the US? My local PD would respond (and I believe most accredited departments have to). There may not be any action taken e.g., escort to hospital for psych eval, but they WILL respond. LE's job doesn't all revolve around criminal activity. Their purpose is to protect and serve; meaning provide service to their citizenship. That service comes in the form of changing flat tires, escorting funeral processions, giving the elderly a ride to the grocery store, performing lifesaving CPR on a bloody baby a mother pushed out on her living room floor, and the list goes on. This is the type of service they swear to uphold. No, it's not in the job description, but protecting the lives and serving the people is what they do. And they do because they care, not because of the lousy ass paycheck.

I'd like to know which departments won't respond to conduct a welfare check if someone is having suicidal thoughts. Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. I have direct personal experience with LE. I know what I'm talking about... and I'd be willing to put some coins on it. I'm that confident.

You can't just ring the police and tell them to take somebody away. It doesn't work like that. They need to be an apparent danger to themselves or the public. A lawsuit waiting to happen would be getting kidnapped by the police just because somebody reported you as being depressed or dangerous.
Lucky Cris

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:28:19 AM

You can't just ring the police and tell them to take somebody away. It doesn't work like that. They need to be an apparent danger to themselves or the public. A lawsuit waiting to happen would be getting kidnapped by the police just because somebody reported you as being depressed or dangerous.

Seriously? I don't think you comprehended what you read. Please tell WHERE I said anything that even hinted at this?!!!! I will throw a few coins your way if you can. <--- not a joke.

In the future before you butt into other people's convo and put words in their mouths' - learn to understand what you read Smiley 

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 05:36:54 AM

Summary - hyphymikey
Name:   hyphymikey
Activity:   322
Position:   Sr. Member
Date Registered:   February 01, 2013, 01:19:22 AM