Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:44:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [MRY] Murraycoin ▪ The Only Currency Worthy of Bill Murray ▪ Now Scrypt-2048  (Read 117839 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
snakey
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 05:49:57 AM

hypster, no need to go crazy man chill.

I do agree though that we deserve some answers, march is coming around again and we dont know if murraycoin is going to be at the tournament or not?

bholzer is a good guy with good intentions, you guys need to relax a little.

bholzer if you got that website like you said, now would be a great time to release it.

Also please check your pm.

cheers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mdawg

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 07:23:14 PM

Things look a little better now but a long ways to go.

bholzer (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

The Murraycoin Project ▪ Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 09:09:25 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2015, 09:39:41 PM by bholzer

I realize everybody is disappointed with where we are at right now and, obviously, nobody is more disappointed than I am. Welcome to the world of cryptocurrency right now - it's been a roller coaster and, currently, it is essentially a wasteland. Just over a year ago Litecoin had a market cap of over 1 billion dollars and now, despite the increased supply generated, it's struggling to stay above $60,000,000. Most of the coins that were released around the same time as Murraycoin are either completely dead, verified scams by design, or trading for roughly 1 Satoshi. Murraycoin is trading at roughly 20 times less than it's all-time high vs BTC and, sadly, that makes it one of the best altcoin investments you could have made in the past year. We've seen the rise and fall of every ridiculous altcoin concept in that window... things like Auroracoin that had over a $600,000,000 market cap at one point and is now worth 20,000 times less. A lot of people have lost money in altcoins in the past year and it's easy to point fingers but can't we just all agree it sucks? I hope it turns around - I intend to be a part of it - but it's been a fiasco for a long time and to come back from this we need to do things differently.

I have more invested in altcoins than most people here and I certainly have more invested in Murraycoin than anybody here. I have over $100,000 in mining hardware gathering dust in my basement and I've personally invested over $20,000 just in buying Murraycoins. I have put hundreds (possibly even beyond that) of hours into the project between phone calls, updates, tweaks, answering emails, meetings, attempted collaboration, and development. Actual investors have lost money and people on the early Murraycoin team put everything they made back into the coin but we continue to struggle for the same reason the altcoin market is imploding: the money is spread thin and too much of the money comes from immature investors. These coins live and die based on community effort - Dogecoin blew up because it had a community around it helping to prop it up. I do what I can and continue to have faith in this project longterm... but I have a real job and a family and a life that has to take priority here. I have over 1/3 of the Murraycoins in circulation and most of them (essentially all of them) I bought at much higher prices than their current value. We're talking about a $5500 market cap right now - by almost every financial measure that market cap is a joke. The Murray Bros. Foundation had interest when there was obvious money that could be put toward a good cause but the image of cryptocurrency has been torn apart since then and, with it, the value and interest from big players. Bitcoin itself is just now dusting itself off from recent beatings and investor confidence in crypto is just bouncing back from an all-time low. The visibility is there - the exposure has never been higher - but we are in recovery mode across the board.

Look at this community - outside of the first month we have had only a small handful of people putting effort behind this and over the past 6 months it's really been 1 person in this community still contributing; everybody else just wants to make easy money from their armchair. Honestly, as sad as that is, this still remains one of the best communities out of all of the coins launched in the past 18 months.

I have not given up on Murraycoin and I really hope to wage a comeback but without bitcoin values rising to start getting people excited again... and with mining being all but completely unprofitable across the board... now really isn't the time to put in a ton of effort. Far too many altcoin people tear apart communities and their coins from the inside-out thinking they will get what they want from it... but all they do is destroy. I have tried to help out other coins but once the community turns and everybody isn't making a bunch of money overnight it's virtually impossible. People expect developers to dedicate their entire life to making everybody else rich while contributing nothing and it simply is not realistic. The harder you try to please everybody the harder they will turn on you in the end. The actual scammers who destroyed the cryptocurrency markets were quickly forgotten... but the people who stand by trying to help... trying to put out the fires year-after-year... who were here during the best of times and stayed for the worst of times... will always take the majority of the heat. People are losing money and they want somebody to blame - since I'm still here... I guess that somebody is me.

We have one of the only (if not the only) celebrity coins still alive (and it has survived for over a year) and has a celebrity that is cool with the project. We came close to nailing down a deal with the charity... and while that deal is not dead by any means... we're further away than we were a year ago. These forums are half of the problem - nobody is going to read through this thread, see the negativity, and want to jump onboard. Just like every other altcoin the very community that helped to build it is helping to continue tearing it apart. Instead of banding together and getting people excited... and motivating me to set aside my life to put more time into this thing by flashing some signs of positivity or interest... it's going to be a long road to the top.  

This is the most thankless position on the planet and while we're going to bring this thing back... I'm not going to be spending a lot of time on these forums. These forums are primarily full of bitter, talentless "get rich quick!" losers who transform between cheerleaders and lynch mobs but in reality contribute nothing. They are here for one reason: to make money doing nothing. That is not the point of cryptocurrency and it's the very reason altcoins are 6 feet under right now.

My intention is to completely rebrand Murraycoin - not by parting ways with the most badass face of a currency ever or even excluding members of the community... but by separating it from the rest of the altcoins. This is a complex process... and it has to be done very carefully and at the right time. Again - nobody has more to gain here than I do and nobody has more invested in this project than I do so I'm not asking for a pat on the back if/when I can breath life back into this project... but I want this to be bigger than that. I'm not just protecting a brand, my name, and my investment - this dark altcoin world needs something positive and I want this to be something cool and inspiring. Renewing the domain and SSL certificate for the Murraycoin website is more than 99% of "devs" have done in the past year and I have to deal with people calling me out? I read this crap and it's the very reason I don't even bother logging into this forum more than once/month - it's just depressing and sad. A bunch of takers that represent the exact opposite of what Murraycoin was supposed to be all about. If you haven't noticed, I really dislike this devastatingly negative place.

I missed deadlines and haven't delivered on promises a number of times - I'm well aware. I have a lot of irons in the fire and I promise that you don't understand the timing anyway. When I forked Murraycoin and launched the new wallets a while back, that was a major project that took an insane amount of my time and effort and all it did was briefly boost the value and help keep things coasting a bit longer. Maybe some of you are just looking for a brief boost in value so you can dump your coins and move on... but that isn't what I'm interested in. The next action we take needs to make a splash and we need to have things lined up and organized first. If you're just waiting around to make or lose a quick buck go trade penny stocks.

The vision hasn't changed... but the path has. Things really aren't going to get more dead than a $5500 market cap - the half dozen people that are actually somewhat invested in Murraycoin aren't going to be exiting any time soon and when we build what I intend to build people will come flooding in organically. None of what happens right now matters.

I'm still here over a year later with virtually nothing to gain and plenty already lost. I'm speaking to a crowd that primarily lacks empathy and, for a large portion as well, logic. By the way, if you have made it this far into this post you are probably not who I am referring to... I've met some awesome people in the Murraycoin community and had many great conversations and chats over the past year. Despite the frustration at times, the threats, the stupidity, the immaturity... I've had a primarily positive experience. There are people I have connected with via Murraycoin that I hope to build friendships with someday and, despite where we're at right now, I'd do it all over again if I could. Anybody who isn't following what I'm saying, anybody who cannot empathize with the situation, anybody who lacks the perspective necessary to be on my side here - the door has been in the same place since day one and I couldn't care less about the handful of coins you're waiting to dump - don't let the door hit you in your neckbeard on the way out (if you are even old enough to grow facial hair). For those who want to contribute positively to this community and/or those patiently waiting for me to deliver (and when the time is right, I will deliver) - stick around. I cannot promise we will ever get to where we want to be but I will give it my absolute, reasonable best. You have not seen the last of Murraycoin - I can assure you of that.

Onward and upward.

murrayCOIN The Only Currency Worthy of the NameBitcointalk Thread BTC: 1KY5kptnac4HLbF9Rn1Y6J8wPrM734db42
CryptoLogo

Activity: 656
Merit: 251

www.fintropy.io

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 09:49:23 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2015, 10:20:52 PM by CryptoLogo

FINALLY BHOLZER HAS COME BACK....TO MRYCOIN FORRRRUMM
Bholzer. Fucking Legend.
I think the negativity came from being associated with secondary coins such as 888 and silkcoin. The fallout from which was unforseen and spilled a little into Murraycoin.
I have never heard any negativity from a Murraycoin purist.
I've understood the timing from day one. Its essential.

mikeymillie

Activity: 370

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 10:26:07 PM

Brock you seem like a smart guy who just believed your own story a little too much.  As Charlie Munger says, what someone is shouting out to others they are also pounding in to their own head.  I don't doubt you have a lot of sunk costs in MRY but that only underscores how strong the force of gravity is for this coin. 

Celebrity coins that aren't publicly or even privately endorsed by the person they are named after will not work.  Maybe someday they will, and maybe Brock you hoped to pad your CV with this project so you could go into the "celeb coin" consulting business or whatever.  But that day is a long way off, if it ever comes at all and if it does the world will be a very different place. It certainly doesn't change the fact that people lost money on your project and the donation pool to the Murray Bros. foundation is so tiny I would be surprised if they took it at all just because of the accounting headache involved with crypto.   But I guess you and your band o' MRY men had fun along the way, maybe that's a fair trade for some. 

Since I tried to explain this at length back *last* February to the people in this thread, and of course got my posts deleted and called a troll (and yet... here we are, with MRY circling the drain as predicted), i am not going to spend much effort this time other than to say "do your due diligence," people.  And most of all, just because someone such as BHolzer is articulate and motivated doesn't mean they can overcome forces much bigger than they are nor are they necessarily acting in anyone's best interests but their own. Use common sense.
CryptoLogo

Activity: 656
Merit: 251

www.fintropy.io

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 10:34:54 PM

Celebrity coins that aren't publicly or even privately endorsed by the person they are named after will not work.  Maybe someday they will
That sounds like reserved hope. Can't delete hope.

bholzer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 10:40:13 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2015, 11:44:40 PM by bholzer

Brock you seem like a smart guy who just believed your own story a little too much.  As Charlie Munger says, what someone is shouting out to others they are also pounding in to their own head.  I don't doubt you have a lot of sunk costs in MRY but that only underscores how strong the force of gravity is for this coin.  

Celebrity coins that aren't publicly or even privately endorsed by the person they are named after will not work.  Maybe someday they will, and maybe Brock you hoped to pad your CV with this project so you could go into the "celeb coin" consulting business or whatever.  But that day is a long way off, if it ever comes at all and if it does the world will be a very different place. It certainly doesn't change the fact that people lost money on your project and the donation pool to the Murray Bros. foundation is so tiny I would be surprised if they took it at all just because of the accounting headache involved with crypto.   But I guess you and your band o' MRY men had fun along the way, maybe that's a fair trade for some.  

Since I tried to explain this at length back *last* February to the people in this thread, and of course got my posts deleted and called a troll (and yet... here we are, with MRY circling the drain as predicted), i am not going to spend much effort this time other than to say "do your due diligence," people.  And most of all, just because someone such as BHolzer is articulate and motivated doesn't mean they can overcome forces much bigger than they are nor are they necessarily acting in anyone's best interests but their own. Use common sense.

Sure, Mike - if you want to go around the threads of every altcoin (or even bitcoin, for that matter) and accuse the creators of losing people money over the past year you could keep yourself pretty busy for a while. Correlation does not imply causation and the depressed values currently does not make you any less wrong 12 months ago regarding why... but that hasn't stopped you before. It would be interesting to check out some of your successful projects which have contributed to your lofty arrogance in the face of logic and void of any obvious motivation - everybody loves a winner!

Also, I hate to stoop to this level, but here is another mikeymillie post from earlier today:

UTC is cool, it's one of the elite coins that everyone knows "something" will happen with sooner or later. People just have no patience.

UTC value has dropped nearly 20 times more than Murraycoin over the same period yet he made these two posts mere hours apart. Ah, altcoins - overwhelming levels of clever; mikeymillie is so transparent that he no longer exists. Times may be a-changin' but some things never change. This is one of the reasons we need to separate Murraycoin from these goofballs going forward - this forum has become a caricature of itself 5 layers deep.

murrayCOIN The Only Currency Worthy of the NameBitcointalk Thread BTC: 1KY5kptnac4HLbF9Rn1Y6J8wPrM734db42
mdawg

Activity: 278

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 01:50:32 AM

Also, I hate to stoop to this level, but here is another mikeymillie post from earlier today:

UTC is cool, it's one of the elite coins that everyone knows "something" will happen with sooner or later. People just have no patience.

UTC value has dropped nearly 20 times more than Murraycoin over the same period yet he made these two posts mere hours apart. Ah, altcoins - overwhelming levels of clever; mikeymillie is so transparent that he no longer exists. Times may be a-changin' but some things never change. This is one of the reasons we need to separate Murraycoin from these goofballs going forward - this forum has become a caricature of itself 5 layers deep.
[/quote]

Not to mention MRY is on it way up!

Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 03:14:09 AM

Wow, holzer nice to meet u man.  Pretty inspiring post, good to see it.   Your plans and thought process re where to take mry sounds similar to what the bitswift Dev Is doing, and I know he's got quite a lot of development coming, and potential investment backing.  The alts scene is just a clusterfuck and needs a clean sweep, not to mention an injection of funds if and when btc recovers further.  But more than anything any real coin that will survive and thrive will haaavvvee to find true backing and strength outside of crypto... But still keep itself relevant in the crypto scene.

Too bad this site is mostly young pukes looking for the usual quick buck.   I'm not saying there's anything wrong with making some money but the more manipulation and pump n dump bullshit that occurs, the worse off things get.

Anyways, I hope u truly do make something of Murraycoin for the world of crypto and public perception as a whole, and hopefully it's value does rocket up to something respectable.   Some sort of backing from Bill or the charity would be a huge bonus, or even something from maybe the Hollywood scene?

We know it takes awhile, stick to it.  I will admit given the history of rahrah from u, I can see why ppl are a bit upset.  We know you prob have enough money and a life plus work to handle and hey, that's life.  Hopefully it's not 2020 by the time things happen is all, lol.  Cheesy  jks, good luck and keep up the good work.

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
iegservers

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 03:28:13 AM
Last edit: February 04, 2015, 03:42:22 AM by iegservers

Happy to see the positive energy in the forms.  Smiley

I just got done converting every thing I have on Cryptsy to Murraycoin every little bit helps I guess and I would rather hold something I/we believe in.
as long as the coin & community is around there will always be a pool for MRY on our server.

brianbbad

Activity: 423

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 08:08:42 AM

I just got done converting every thing I have on Cryptsy to Murraycoin every little bit helps I guess and I would rather hold something I/we believe in.
as long as the coin & community is around there will always be a pool for MRY on our server.

Doin' the lord's work, this one. Smiley

In my opinion, what would be helpful is if we had some kind of timeframe to work with, mostly so we could know what (if any) future developments could come in the form of community / outside contributions. For example, would it be feasible for somebody (myself, cryptologo, whoever) to hire a private party to make a simple MRY wallet app? Or, would Brock / MRY team prefer to take the reins since a rebranding is going to take place? Could I and the guy from Cointopay work on making a website that lets regular people buy Murraycoin with U.S. dollars, or does Team Murraycoin want to offer that on murraycoin.org in the near future? I know plenty of people who have extra money on their hands and are keen to invest it, but they wouldn't want to buy a heap of digital coins without talking to people in charge of the Murraycoin project, could we see progress sooner by throwing some cash toward development if I could have them speak with Brock directly?

Also, I would say the main reason the community hasn't grown much is because there is no tangible proof that Bill is okay with the Murraycoin project; the bits and pieces all add up (@caddyshackgolf follows Murraycoin on Twitter, there haven't been any cease-and-desists since the project started or even after MRY got written about in Washington Times, and so forth), but of the dozens of people interested in crypto (and hundreds of lay folk) that I've spoken with in the past year, none of them had a solid reason to take the Murraycoin idea seriously (at least not without doing some research to discover those "bits and pieces").

As usual, I'm just thinking out loud. I'm not saying "Brock should do this" or "the MRY community should do that," but it would be nice if we could all get on the same page without stepping on each other's toes or being negative.

I have not given up on Murraycoin and I really hope to wage a comeback but without bitcoin values rising to start getting people excited again... and with mining being all but completely unprofitable across the board... now really isn't the time to put in a ton of effort.

I disagree. For all we know, Bitcoin could mostly stay in the $100 to $300 range for the next few years. There's no time like the present. The Foundation would be interested in MRY if its value rose, but the value won't rise until the project moves forward and puts things out there that potential investors can sink their teeth into.

Onward & upward, y'all!  Cool
snakey
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 09:36:16 AM

Doin' the lord's work, this one. Smiley

In my opinion, what would be helpful is if we had some kind of timeframe to work with, mostly so we could know what (if any) future developments could come in the form of community / outside contributions. For example, would it be feasible for somebody (myself, cryptologo, whoever) to hire a private party to make a simple MRY wallet app? Or, would Brock / MRY team prefer to take the reins since a rebranding is going to take place? Could I and the guy from Cointopay work on making a website that lets regular people buy Murraycoin with U.S. dollars, or does Team Murraycoin want to offer that on murraycoin.org in the near future? I know plenty of people who have extra money on their hands and are keen to invest it, but they wouldn't want to buy a heap of digital coins without talking to people in charge of the Murraycoin project, could we see progress sooner by throwing some cash toward development if I could have them speak with Brock directly?

Also, I would say the main reason the community hasn't grown much is because there is no tangible proof that Bill is okay with the Murraycoin project; the bits and pieces all add up (@caddyshackgolf follows Murraycoin on Twitter, there haven't been any cease-and-desists since the project started or even after MRY got written about in Washington Times, and so forth), but of the dozens of people interested in crypto (and hundreds of lay folk) that I've spoken with in the past year, none of them had a solid reason to take the Murraycoin idea seriously (at least not without doing some research to discover those "bits and pieces").

As usual, I'm just thinking out loud. I'm not saying "Brock should do this" or "the MRY community should do that," but it would be nice if we could all get on the same page without stepping on each other's toes or being negative.

I have not given up on Murraycoin and I really hope to wage a comeback but without bitcoin values rising to start getting people excited again... and with mining being all but completely unprofitable across the board... now really isn't the time to put in a ton of effort.

I disagree. For all we know, Bitcoin could mostly stay in the $100 to $300 range for the next few years. There's no time like the present. The Foundation would be interested in MRY if its value rose, but the value won't rise until the project moves forward and puts things out there that potential investors can sink their teeth into.

Onward & upward, y'all!  Cool

I agree with Brian here, I know some other coins who are waiting on a bitcoin rise so the coin can follow but I dont believe this is the way to do things.

Take digibyte for example, the coin has climbed from 100th to top 40 on coinmarketcap because the dev keeps releasing projects and is active in the forum letting everyone know whats going on.

It has been growing even while bitcoin is dropping, so once again I agree with brian.

Would be nice bholzer if you can tell us if you have plans to be at the caddyshack golf tournament this year?

Some of us would be willing to put up money to get a good spot this year just let us know please.

We need exposure and we need to promote murray as a fundraising coin to help charities.
bholzer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2015, 08:57:34 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2015, 09:14:50 PM by bholzer

Brian - we will sync up soon. Been a busy couple weeks in my non-crypto world but we definitely need to get everybody on the same page. You make valid points and the best path isn't always the path of least resistance. While I maintain our marketing efforts will have a much higher impact if the general public grows more excited about bitcoin again (think of mechanical advantage: Fout/Fin) it is still important to continue moving now. When time and funding is limited the strategy needs to change but progress needs to continue. I wasn't implying we sit around twiddling our thumbs until the market starts moving in the right direction - I was simply implying that some of the costlier and/or more time-consuming marketing efforts might be best put into place during a bull market. We are planning on doing a lot of great things... but without the interest and volume in general (and without unlimited time) a strategy needs to be in place somewhere in the middle. The exchange value really doesn't play much of a role in the big picture - real people buying and trading MRY in currency they understand will give it a mass appeal few, if any, cryptocurrencies have achieved. Once we have created our market the sky is the limit; people looking to buy and dump to make a quick buck make up the majority of this forum and have no place in a well-designed ecosystem or community - they are the reason altcoins are almost all dead or dying. We will separate from them - you have ideas and I have ideas. As I said before, I have communicated with some bright people over the past year and this is hands-down the sharpest community in the altcoin world. This community is also a lot larger than it appears - there are Murraycoin enthusiasts all over the place that simply aren't crypto-nerds. There are a lot of people who have bought MRY (from me and others) who have never even heard of Cryptsy or this forum and they are excited just to be a part of it - more of that would also be great. This is certainly a target market in my eyes which is the reason I'm still working on the physical Murraycoin cards/etc. The problem in the eyes of the people here is that they want everything to happen overnight - there is only so much time in the day and only so much of that can be devoted to projects like this. Murraycoin has barely been around for a year but in this world that means it's time to hit the panic button - it's insane and it sucks! Most people here don't understand business in general and are too young and/or inexperienced to really grasp the concept of a simple currency, even - it's been a frustrating task. Everybody wants things to move more quickly but you have to be realistic. It's also important to remember that most of those people will contribute nothing significant to any of these projects - they think they have done us a favor by buying some coins and now we owe them something. I refuse to adjust course for those types of people - I want the investors to make money but not at the expense of proper execution. Quality takes time and sometimes things move slowly! When the dust settles and most of this other crap is forgotten Murraycoin will, at the very least, hold a place in cryptocurrency history - I guarantee it. Everyone who sticks around will be glad they did in the end.

I definitely agree we need to discuss actions, plans, timelines, and deadlines and light the Murraycoin fire again. We all realize the potential that exists here... and it's definitely important not to come to a complete stand-still (which we haven't despite appearing to many we have) - the real value definitely remains in getting this to the masses and getting the right people involved and both of those items are linked in various ways. You have been a big part of the former and I truly believe there is no where to go but up. Next week we can chat and I will get you an @murraycoin.org E-mail address and our Slack room set up as well. Your effort and motivation gives us an asset no other altcoin in existence has right now and I agree no time is too soon to use that to our advantage. Thanks, Brian.

brianbbad

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 11:17:11 PM

Good stuff. You're absolutely correct about a careful and business-minded approach being key. I may at times have forgotten that Murraycoin ought to be treated very differently from all the one-month wonders in the altcoin world. I look forward to MRY's bright future.
O & U! Smiley
brianbbad

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 11:07:06 PM

It doesn't look like there is a way to import a wallet using a private key in the Murraycoin client (I have the Windows version), or is it right in front of my face and I just missed it?
Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 03:21:08 AM

Brian - we will sync up soon. Been a busy couple weeks in my non-crypto world but we definitely need to get everybody on the same page. You make valid points and the best path isn't always the path of least resistance. While I maintain our marketing efforts will have a much higher impact if the general public grows more excited about bitcoin again (think of mechanical advantage: Fout/Fin) it is still important to continue moving now. When time and funding is limited the strategy needs to change but progress needs to continue. I wasn't implying we sit around twiddling our thumbs until the market starts moving in the right direction - I was simply implying that some of the costlier and/or more time-consuming marketing efforts might be best put into place during a bull market. We are planning on doing a lot of great things... but without the interest and volume in general (and without unlimited time) a strategy needs to be in place somewhere in the middle. The exchange value really doesn't play much of a role in the big picture - real people buying and trading MRY in currency they understand will give it a mass appeal few, if any, cryptocurrencies have achieved. Once we have created our market the sky is the limit; people looking to buy and dump to make a quick buck make up the majority of this forum and have no place in a well-designed ecosystem or community - they are the reason altcoins are almost all dead or dying. We will separate from them - you have ideas and I have ideas. As I said before, I have communicated with some bright people over the past year and this is hands-down the sharpest community in the altcoin world. This community is also a lot larger than it appears - there are Murraycoin enthusiasts all over the place that simply aren't crypto-nerds. There are a lot of people who have bought MRY (from me and others) who have never even heard of Cryptsy or this forum and they are excited just to be a part of it - more of that would also be great. This is certainly a target market in my eyes which is the reason I'm still working on the physical Murraycoin cards/etc. The problem in the eyes of the people here is that they want everything to happen overnight - there is only so much time in the day and only so much of that can be devoted to projects like this. Murraycoin has barely been around for a year but in this world that means it's time to hit the panic button - it's insane and it sucks! Most people here don't understand business in general and are too young and/or inexperienced to really grasp the concept of a simple currency, even - it's been a frustrating task. Everybody wants things to move more quickly but you have to be realistic. It's also important to remember that most of those people will contribute nothing significant to any of these projects - they think they have done us a favor by buying some coins and now we owe them something. I refuse to adjust course for those types of people - I want the investors to make money but not at the expense of proper execution. Quality takes time and sometimes things move slowly! When the dust settles and most of this other crap is forgotten Murraycoin will, at the very least, hold a place in cryptocurrency history - I guarantee it. Everyone who sticks around will be glad they did in the end.

I definitely agree we need to discuss actions, plans, timelines, and deadlines and light the Murraycoin fire again. We all realize the potential that exists here... and it's definitely important not to come to a complete stand-still (which we haven't despite appearing to many we have) - the real value definitely remains in getting this to the masses and getting the right people involved and both of those items are linked in various ways. You have been a big part of the former and I truly believe there is no where to go but up. Next week we can chat and I will get you an @murraycoin.org E-mail address and our Slack room set up as well. Your effort and motivation gives us an asset no other altcoin in existence has right now and I agree no time is too soon to use that to our advantage. Thanks, Brian.

Nice to hear.  Hope there's action behind it. Smiley

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
bholzer (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 11:08:11 PM

It doesn't look like there is a way to import a wallet using a private key in the Murraycoin client (I have the Windows version), or is it right in front of my face and I just missed it?

That's definitely one of the sections I want to make more intuitive in the next release of the wallet. Right now, you have to do it the same way as with Bitcoin-QT/etc - via the RPC interface. If we could have a 1-click (or in reality probably 3-click... but 1-click seems to be the buzz phrase regardless of how many clicks) way to import them, it would certainly make our physical distribution strategy more intuitive.

Here is how you do it now:

Help -> Debug window -> Console

If you have a password on your wallet (which I'm sure you do) you will need to temporarily unlock it first by typing:

walletpassphrase "yourpassword" 180

With the "180" simply being how many seconds you want it to remain unlocked for (just needs to be long enough to run the next command... I always default to 180 but it doesn't really matter).

Then you type:

importprivkey "yoursuperlongprivatekeystring" "label-here"

The label is optional, of course. If you are on a slow computer, you can also add rescan=false at the end of the previous command and simply let the blockchain do the work for you. It allows for a smoother import and I will run some testing on it but I may make it the default on the new wallet import feature with the option to check the "rescan" box instead. Just to clarify, if you don't want to do the rescan the command would look like this:

importprivkey "yoursuperlongprivatekeystring" "label-here" rescan=false

That's all there is to it... but obviously not very intuitive for the average person. This is one of the reasons so many people are using CoinBase/etc for simple import functionality - this is complicated and borderline scary for people who aren't comfortable with technology. Honestly I never thought it made sense to put this under "Help" or "Debug window" but I stuck with what the new Bitcoin Core was using for consistency. We now know that consistency is great and all... but it can't hurt to go above and beyond. Obviously the average Joe who wants to go import their paper Murraycoin wallet would think those above steps are pretty ridiculous.

I'm still kicking around the possibility of an algorithm change and another fork as well... which of course are both things we will want to do as soon as possible. My concern is simply ensuring the blockchain is secure and somewhat consistent speed-wise - right now it's just being treated as another hit-and-run Scrypt-N coin which is why it's struggling on the exchange - not a lot of exciting news getting crypto people buying on the exchanges... but still profit to be made here-and-there form the hit-and-run crowd. My concerns with merge-mining/etc are that we are then tied to another currency which, despite the advantages of consistency, I'm not sure it makes sense for Murraycoin. I could easily rebuild some new QT wallets with the simple import feature and a modified look... but it would be cool to kill a few birds with one stone. This is something we will have to continue to discuss.

Hollowman338
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 11:49:20 PM

PoW has pretty much been rendered obsolete.  Have you looked at any Proof of Stake concepts at all?
snakey
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 11:19:40 AM

bholzer, multi algo like digibyte.

We advertising in march at the tournament?

Also can you please check out my pm.

cheers,
snakey
Legendary

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 11:36:58 AM

Ok guys, I have had enough....

Time for some exposure.....This is open now and every time you post we head back to the top of the list which gives us more exposure.

Please post and keep it alive.

If you believe in Murraycoin and know it will be successful then get in this post now.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=950296.0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »
  Print  

Jump to: