Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Who is the bigger douche?
BitcoinEXpress - 41 (51.9%)
CoinHunter - 38 (48.1%)
Total Voters: 79

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is more arrogant? BitcoinEXpress or CoinHunter?  (Read 5266 times)
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 02:54:39 AM

Gotcha, so I guess I gotta read up on merged mining to see what the heck that is and why it helps. 

But ya, I'm sold (I even voted for BEX in the pole).  This is a horrible time to mess with it.  the only thing that could "save" it is an equal effort of hash power to get to that block faster than whatn BEX plans to attack it, yes? 

So as long as namecoin has some followers, they can succeed, yes? 

Namecoin miners, please unite and fight this bad man!  If you don't start a "save namecoin" forum, then that's on you.  He posted today that you have 10 days, so I'm sure it's possible to get some support, just ask...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:11:31 AM

Keep in mind if he has 1 terre hash commited, then thats 1 terre hash less that will be mining bitcoins, so enjoy the lower difficulty for regular bitcoins!
Nope, once he hits block 19,200 he can merge mine. This allows him to earn bitcoins and attack namecoin at the same time.
HolodeckJizzmopper

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:19:18 AM

CosbyCoin makes some valid points against BitCoinExpress' motivations, and the more I think about it, it seems that BitCoinExpress is using his personal 68 GHash/S and pledged ~1 THash/S to masturbate with Namecoin in some weird Bond-Villain sex fantasy.
Cosbycoin

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:21:36 AM

CosbyCoin makes some valid points against BitCoinExpress' motivations, and the more I think about it, it seems that BitCoinExpress is using his personal 68 GHash/S and pledged ~1 THash/S to masturbate with Namecoin in some weird Bond-Villain sex fantasy.

+1,000,000
Cosbycoin

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:36:06 AM

Keep in mind if he has 1 terre hash commited, then thats 1 terre hash less that will be mining bitcoins, so enjoy the lower difficulty for regular bitcoins!
Nope, once he hits block 19,200 he can merge mine. This allows him to earn bitcoins and attack namecoin at the same time.

We don't need nearly that much firepower and in reality, it is pledged. Now the even worse news. NMC has a lame network speed of less than 35 GH/s and the 51% mark is only is 17.51 GH/s.

Most of the pledged pool will be from exactly that, from a pool operator with an axe to grind with Vinced, that has pledged to help.

Even if the pool operator doesn't come through, by myself I could take NMC on and know for a fact I have another 50-60 GH/s of reliable partners. As ArtForz will tell you, this attack is doable at 25%, slow but doable. 51% gives us total control.

Again I am sure ArtForz will verify if I wanted to be a dick, even by myself with 68 GH/s I could have done this silently in real time.

Finally, we are going to run it way past 19200...

~BCX~

Wow the plot thickens. So this is also a plot against vinced as well? This is starting to sound like a kindergarten "my daddy will kick your daddy's ass" fight.
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:38:38 AM

Most of the pledged pool will be from exactly that, from a pool operator with an axe to grind with Vinced, that has pledged to help.
You jest, vinced hardly ever talks to anyone and waits weeks before sending responses. It'd take years to build up enough of a conversation to get a decent grudge going.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 06:02:46 AM

Now the even worse news. NMC has a lame network speed of less than 35 GH/s and the 51% mark is only is 17.51 GH/s.

No. You need to add 35 Gh/s to be at 50% of the total.
Cosbycoin

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 06:15:45 AM

BitcoinEXpress' actions are like using actual humans in a crash test of a particular model vehicle as opposed to using crash dummies.

"In the name of science I will destroy that which has value and has a solution on the way (merged mining) in order for the results to benefit bitcoin."
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 07:07:19 AM
Last edit: September 13, 2011, 08:20:14 AM by mrb

You jest, vinced hardly ever talks to anyone and waits weeks before sending responses. It'd take years to build up enough of a conversation to get a decent grudge going.
Don't have any knowledge of why, but they approached me to help out.

"Nearly 1Th/s" you said this pool's capacity was? Only ArsBitcoin fits that description at currently 700 Gh/s. All other pools are either smaller or much larger. Unless it is a private pool... Or a larger pool who will commit only a fraction of its capacity... (Cue the "I told you so we shouldn't let the big pools control x% of the network").
MrWizard

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:25:38 AM

"Nearly 1Th/s" you said this pool's capacity was? Only ArsBitcoin fits that description at currently 700 Gh/s. All other pools are either smaller or much larger. Unless it is a private pool...
A public pool that large is mining bitcoins.  If they switch to mining poison namecoins users will rise up and abandon the pool ( no BTC income).  So it is a private pool OR NO SUCH POOL EXISTS.

"I walked into the room dripping in Bitcoins.  Yea dripping in Bitcoins."
(BTC) 168DCCeGmDy3xTWRimLVhvKtK3yEWbpsSg     (LTC) LbYS8VFqFSU7B9bfaHD11seQMtrtYEKpLe
(BBQ) bNVZErvwLzpEG7H3kt1fycWspzRQB1MJzL
Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:13:08 AM

I like the term "poison namecoins"

Reminds me of those pesky poison critters from Half-Life games.

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
Frozenace

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:28:21 AM

Not me, but I do work for Apple in Cupertino LOL...

BitcoinX, I'm sure your employer would approve. First thing about public relations is not to represent the people you're not allowed to represent.

iopq

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:34:45 AM

"Nearly 1Th/s" you said this pool's capacity was? Only ArsBitcoin fits that description at currently 700 Gh/s. All other pools are either smaller or much larger. Unless it is a private pool...
A public pool that large is mining bitcoins.  If they switch to mining poison namecoins users will rise up and abandon the pool ( no BTC income).  So it is a private pool OR NO SUCH POOL EXISTS.
they'll mergemine at 19200, duh
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 08:50:34 AM

I think microsoft has  a term for this. Its called stabbing the baby.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 11:24:34 AM
Last edit: September 13, 2011, 11:39:51 AM by kano

Hmm - well the flaw in bitcoin is obvious and the band-aid is well known also.
Simply: put hashes directly into the client thus you have a point that people using the client cannot go back before since the new chain will fail the hash tests.
Obviously anything after the last hard coded hash can be lost - but regular updates would help keep a lot of the chain safe.
Or you could break the unwritten law and centralise those hashes somewhere Tongue
Of course this can end up with two chains with the same root but of course everyone using the 'official' client will not take on the interloper unless they start after the last hard coded hash.

My only question about 51% is - only adding 51% of the current hash power?
I would have thought you would have had to have >50% of the total running hash power ... ... i.e. add >100% of current
Coz just adding 51% gives you ~33.8% of course

... ... and I guess I better not point out a post I made when IXCoin started ... Tongue
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36218.msg452501#msg452501

meaning: go kill IXcoin - not namecoin
You are already restricting your test to something less than the real thing - make that restriction a bit more and see if you can really do it with IX
No need to kill a chain that actually does something (unlike IX, I0 or SC)

(Yes I also think the joined mining thing is a bad idea: if your hash-chain is failing - con people from the strongest one?
Seriously you don't think anyone will be unhappy about that?
Well I will say that solution deserves what hate it gets
... and I'm sure if IX, I0 or SC did it, way more people would be unhappy about it)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 04:51:50 PM

I dont know why you dont look to prosecute. There are rules to how you expose flaws. You dont steal from a bank just to say "hey their is a flaw here" or you will go to jail. These guys are trying to hang on the idea that this currency is virtual and therefore doesnt have real value, much like wow gold and wow items, but wow gold isnt used to buy real life items. wow gold isnt traded on an exchange. People like bitcoin express are prosecuted for this kind of shit every day and if yall let him play hacker with impunity, then btc deserves to die.

mooo for rent
Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:00:11 PM

I'd like to remind everyone that so far, bitcoin-police has not yet gained the ability to put people in jail

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 05:11:23 PM

I'd like to remind everyone that so far, bitcoin-police has not yet gained the ability to put people in jail

LOL jail is the last thing I'd be worried about Wink

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:02:29 PM

for sure the bitcoin police dont have the power, but if this guy is in the us or pretty much any western nation, he can be prosecuted.

There is a reason for the testnets, he chooses to be a douche and really he should pray for prosecution, you start to screw with peoples money, well you could be looking for bigger problems than prosecution. But hey he aint bitcoinexpress aint scared. He doesnt care how many people he makes lose money.

mooo for rent
Cosbycoin

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:05:19 PM

A lot of bickering going on in here.

More mining less complaining/bitching please.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: