Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:00:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many houses will burn down due to mining?  (Read 3513 times)
jamesc760 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:23:00 PM

This is a Public Service Announcement.

Please do not install ASIC miners in your house without consulting electricians.

Sure, if you have the low hash units like the Jalapenos, Blades, Cubes, etc, you don't have to talk to your local electrician, unless you have more than 10 of these units.

All the new, upcoming miners require kilo-watts of power. Take the example of the Terraminer: it requires you to pull power from 2 separate circuits and will probably require you to upgrade from 15 Amp to 20 Amp. KNC Neptunes require similar power draw and upgrade.

How many people are going to install these potential fire hazard without proper care and understanding? Quite a lot, I'm afraid.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anddos

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:40:00 AM

Put your mininer in a garage or shed so the fire cant spread?

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:42:48 AM

Ha, that's not a serious suggestion is it?

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Anddos

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:20:57 AM

it is a serious suggestion , the fire cant spread across concreate can it , it will just burn on the spot and not ignite nothing else, thats if it does get to that stage

wpgdeez

Activity: 728

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:58:03 PM

Most garages around where I live are made of wood just like a house.
mtnminer

Activity: 294

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:06:55 PM

I understand what this OP is saying.  I have 1 usb miner, 2 Jalapenos, 2 BF singles,  1 Linux PC, 1 Windows XP PC, 3 200 Gh/s Avalon Clones, 2 lcd monitors, 1 6 port 10/100 lan switch, 1 24 port 10/100 lan switch  this is all powered on 3 30 amp 110v circuits.  I have 2 more 200 gh/s Avalon clones to get running and these will require connecting to a fourth 30 amp 110v circuit.

I am at my safe limit for that part of my house that is supplied by a 200 amp main.  I am now planning to add another 200 amp service and main with wiring in conduit to my office/work space dedicated to this and additional mining equipment.  I am actually looking at the availability of 3 phase power for the future.

I am a retied RF Engineer (radio engineer) and this type of work fits well with my former occupation.  I worked with large power loads from racks of equipment and high voltage.  Most homes have 15 to 20 amp breakers for the 110v circuits, with only 100 or 150 amp mains.  You should not loads these past 80% capacity as the wiring in the wall can and does get hot causing a fire!

As he stated use caution and consult an electrician if you are not sure on the electrical loading.

Mtnminer
jamesc760 (OP)

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 10:29:05 PM

I was watching the news on TV a few days ago, and there was a segment on how it is so much harder to fight fire when the weather's icy cold.

Anyway, it got me thinking. With all the miners ordering these new fangled ASIC hardware at home, there's bound to be at least a few idiots, with dollars signs dancing in their eyes, who cram as many units as they can for maximum profit. They don't plan for electrical load, blinded by greed. Electrical overload happens and fire will consume these idiots' houses.

Authority will catch on to this and will start to put their foot down, banning bitcoin mining at home.

Mark my word, this too shall pass.
ymer

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 10:52:50 PM

The more the better I say  Tongue
Caesium

Activity: 546

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 11:00:22 PM

it is a serious suggestion , the fire cant spread across concreate can it , it will just burn on the spot and not ignite nothing else, thats if it does get to that stage

The problem is not with the units, but how you get power to them.

Using underspecified wiring as the OP is suggesting will lead to the wires heating up and in the worst case, melting/shorting/catching fire. And where are these wires coming from? Unless you've a nuclear power station under your shed, they're coming from your house.

Wires without access to air (in conduits, inside walls, etc) are the first to warm up and will be the first to fail.

Disclaimer: not an electrician but good old dad is.

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
cander

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:46:43 AM

I'm looking for partners for mine in France and don't do it anymore at home because we need more Asics and power supply
jermwerty

Activity: 472

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 10:53:58 PM
Last edit: February 02, 2014, 02:49:24 AM by jermwerty

I understand what this OP is saying.  I have 1 usb miner, 2 Jalapenos, 2 BF singles,  1 Linux PC, 1 Windows XP PC, 3 200 Gh/s Avalon Clones, 2 lcd monitors, 1 6 port 10/100 lan switch, 1 24 port 10/100 lan switch  this is all powered on 3 30 amp 110v circuits.  I have 2 more 200 gh/s Avalon clones to get running and these will require connecting to a fourth 30 amp 110v circuit.

Lets add your power draw at 110V:

Singles 280W each x2 = 560W = 5A
Avalon Clone 900W each x5 4500W = 41A
PCs/Switch/LCDs/etc - all combined less than 500W = 5A

AMPS = WATTS/VOLTS

200A at 220V is the same as 400A at 110V.

So you are telling me you need a whole new service ran because you plan to use around 50A out of 400A available?  Do you have a wattmeter?  (my estimates are based off killa-watt readings)

For what its worth I am running ~60A (3TH) of ANTMiners, Bitfury, and Avalons combined on 200A 400A (@ 110v) house service, with five 20A circuits added to the garage.  No problem man no need to worry about adding 15% load to my panel   Wink

DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:00:25 AM

Go to a 24 hour truckstop.. plug it there and sleep on a bench...  profit

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 10:50:11 AM

Hopefully there will be 0 burnt houses!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=355305.0

Lots of knowledgeable folks here, there are some resident gurus helping in my thread above if you need help.

Zedicus

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
pjviitas

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:48:13 AM

Most people don't have garages.
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 03:57:22 PM

This is a Scaremonger Announcement.

EFA.

Please do not install ASIC miners in your house without consulting electricians.

How many people are going to install these potential fire hazard without proper care and understanding? Quite a lot, I'm afraid.

Here in civilisation, we have these cool new things called breakers.  Before that, we had fuses.  They're these things that go in a box where the electrickery comes in to the house, and they stop the wiring getting overloaded.

Perhaps you should investigate getting some?  Roll Eyes
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:02:19 PM

I have a miner friend who almost burned down his house twice. One time the wire burned and fell on the yard setting the grass on fire. He finally had to get commercial wiring. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:09:47 PM

I know that this may seem like scaremongering, but it is a legitimate concern: overloading and causing a fire is a horrible thing. However, in most cases, unless your house hasn't been retrofitted for a long time, you're probably safe; in essence, if you have a breaker your risk goes down significantly.

And as mentioned already; there is a lot of informed and experienced members on this forum, and that in and of itself cuts down risk significantly too.

Now if you're running a whole bunch of high-powered miners, that's a different story. But at that point, if you're investing that much money you'd be stupid to not do any research and the sort.

Edit: the correct word is your, not you're. Gah...
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:10:53 PM

I guess 23.
pjviitas

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:07:08 PM

This is a Scaremonger Announcement.

EFA.

Here in civilisation, we have these cool new things called breakers.  Before that, we had fuses.  They're these things that go in a box where the electrickery comes in to the house, and they stop the wiring getting overloaded.

Perhaps you should investigate getting some?  Roll Eyes

it is very simple to put a 14.9A continuous load on a 15A breaker intended for residential purposes and still burn the wiring and the house down since wiring is only rated for 80% continuous loads...its a perfect storm actually.
InCoinsITrust

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:17:43 PM

actualy it is interesting opinion, should be resolved with future miners (maybe)
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: