Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:24:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer u1: BFGminer: How to set up to mine Bitcoin  (Read 46112 times)
YanksAvs18 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 12:38:36 AM

I’ve seen plenty of pages on the forums and personal websites troubleshooting and giving instructions on how to mine bitcoins with the AntMiner u1 on CGMiner and BFGminer, but had little success getting it to work until after plenty of hours of troubleshooting, searching, and head-scratching. Here I’m going to compile a bunch of information on getting your AntMiner to work with BFGminer. I’m not a coder or anything like that so I left this simple so it’s accessible to those who also aren’t familiar (also since I couldn’t have made it more complicated even if I would have wanted to!).

***First, here’s a link to BFGminer 3.10, the version I am currently using my AntMiner  with(32 bit) (or go to http://bfgminer.org to find the latest version):

http://luke.dashjr.org/programs/bitcoin/files/bfgminer/3.10.0/bfgminer-3.10.0-win64.zip

-All you need to do is extract the bfgminer-3.10.0-win32.zip folder and the BFGminer is basically ready, aside from the steps below.

Also, here is a link to a PDF of the Antminer’s user guide which can be helpful:

https://raw2.github.com/AntMiner/AntGen1/master/manual/AntMiner-U1%20user%20guide.pdf

***You will need special drivers to get your AntMiner to be recognized by BFGMiner. Here is the VCG driver that worked for me with BFGMiner 3.10:

http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/Software/CP210x_VCP_Windows.zip

-For 32 bit Windows, all you have to do is extract the folder then click on the CP210xVCPInstaller_x86.exe and install it and it’s good to go.

***The BFGMiner folder does not contain a .bat (Batch) file (what you need to launch BFGminer and input your mining pool info, as well as information so AntMiner will be recognized by BFGminer), so we will need to create one; it’s very simple.

How to create a .bat (Batch) File for Bitcoin mining:

-First, have open the folder in which you have the .exe file located in (this works for either CGminer or BFGminer).
-Then, in the folder options, make sure ‘Hide extensions for known file types’ is unchecked.
Hide Extension
-Next, create a new text (notepad) file and name it AntMiner or whatever you might want to name your batch file. You should then see AntMiner.txt (or whatever-you-named-the-file.txt).
New Text Document
-Rename the file AntMiner.bat (or whatever.bat). It will tell you changing the file extension may make a file not work, etc. Just click OK.
Are you sure
-Next, right click the file and select ‘edit’ to edit it in NotePad. Here you will type out or cut and paste the command to mine using BFGMiner. Generally, you will need to know your pool’s username, password, mining http, and desired Mh/s or Gh/s you want you AntMiner to run at.
Antminer

Here is the specific .bat command I used to finally get my AntMiner to be recognized and work in BFGminer:

bfgminer.exe –set-device antminer:clock=x0781 -o http://mint.bitminter.com:8332 -u USERNAME_WORKER -p PASSWORD -S antminer:all

(http://minter.bitminter.com:8332 is the particular mining pool I use which mines for both Namecoins and Bitcoins)

This is the general format you want to have for a .bat file. You want to have the .exe file at the beginning, then the device speed you want, the mining pool (the http) and port you’re using (:8332, or others) which the pool’s website should tell you, the username and worker number (if using multiple workers), the password, and the end command which I’m not sure exactly what it accomplishes but seems to help.

*I’ve seen others have used a bsmc-freq argument to regulate the speed of and overclock their device (in their .bat file), but that didn’t work for me with BFGminer, you may have better success than me (ex.: –bmsc-freq 0981). Not sure what the difference is but, again, this did not work for me.

Here is a guide to setting the speed you want your AntMiner to mine at (1.6 gh/s is the standard; higher is overclocking which may cause overheating. All you have to do is edit the .bat file and change the numbers):

0581 =1.2
0681 =1.4
0781 =1.6
0881 =1.8
0981 =2.0
0A81 =2.2

You now just have to click on the batch file whenever you want to start mining and it works pretty much autonomously. Just pay attention to how hot your AntMiner gets because you don’t want to have to buy a new one.

Command Screen

A couple notes on some of the problems I ran into during my quest to get AntMiner to work with BFGminer:

-After a long time of tinkering with the commands in the .bat file, I figured out the drivers I was using weren’t correct (obtained using zadig) and once I downloaded the correct driver it began to work for BFGminer.

Thus, it is VERY IMPORTANT if you want your AntMiner and batch file to work to have the correct drivers. If the miners don’t recognize or pick up ‘no device’ (in BFGminer), chances are it’s a problem with the driver, and you may have to try different ones and see which one works with the miner you are using.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bloxton

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 01:40:12 AM

Great article and great timing!

Got my AntMiner U1 in the mail an hour ago, and managed to get it mining within minutes using this article.

Thank you SO much for taking the time to write this.
YanksAvs18 (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 03:01:41 AM

Great article and great timing!

Got my AntMiner U1 in the mail an hour ago, and managed to get it mining within minutes using this article.

Thank you SO much for taking the time to write this.
No problem. Glad I could help!
airenzo

Activity: 44

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 06:23:11 PM

some suggestions using Ubuntu?
Thanks
povlhp

Activity: 35

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 10:05:50 PM

On Ubuntu the Antminer U1 works out of the box with bfgminer from git, or the special cgminer with Antminer support. I prefer the bfgminer.

If you want to run the devices at different speeds, you will need to reprogram them to have unique serial numbers. See here how to do it:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=270367.0  - It requires Windows (did it under XP on VMWare).

Then use these options to run at different speeds:
--set-device antminer@serial:clock=x0881 --set-device antminer@otherserial:clock=x0981

Both mine runs fine with x0981 (2GH/s) with very few HW errors (around 0.1%) if little ventilation (in front of air intake of PC). At A81 one gives me 100% HW errors, the other is also in the 2 digit range within the first few seconds. Guess that I would need at voltage bump (resistors) to get there, and I don't want to do that that. Will try to put cooling ribs on them to increase their life expectancy.
Xalan

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 03:20:25 AM
Last edit: February 14, 2014, 03:32:29 AM by Xalan

Hi,

Very useful. Hard to find very clear info on what and how to do! So much conflicting data in the world.

Little question if anyone can help.

I have one antminer and two block erupters.
Using BFGminer 3.10.0 with drivers correctly installed.
Have had to manually add each device after starting BFGminer.
Windows 7 64bit.

Can I run all three using the same .bat file?
Can I still overclock the antminer?

Any advice on how to write the .bat would be great Huh. Been slowly pulling hair out for about 8 hours now!
I have read the comments above but im still slightly confused.

Cheers
ccualumni

Activity: 55

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 07:50:09 PM

This is a great guide. I have been looking for a very easy to use guide.

Thank you
Skydaddy

Activity: 22

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 03:06:31 PM

I’ve seen plenty of pages on the forums and personal websites troubleshooting and giving instructions on how to mine bitcoins with the AntMiner u1 on CGMiner and BFGminer, but had little success getting it to work until after plenty of hours of troubleshooting, searching, and head-scratching. Here I’m going to compile a bunch of information on getting your AntMiner to work with BFGminer. I’m not a coder or anything like that so I left this simple so it’s accessible to those who also aren’t familiar (also since I couldn’t have made it more complicated even if I would have wanted to!).

How to create a .bat (Batch) File for Bitcoin mining:

Antminer

Here is the specific .bat command I used to finally get my AntMiner to be recognized and work in BFGminer:

bfgminer.exe –set-device antminer:clock=x0781 -o http://mint.bitminter.com:8332 -u USERNAME_WORKER -p PASSWORD -S antminer:all

This is the general format you want to have for a .bat file. You want to have the .exe file at the beginning, then the device speed you want, the mining pool (the http) and port you’re using (:8332, or others) which the pool’s website should tell you, the username and worker number (if using multiple workers), the password, and the end command which I’m not sure exactly what it accomplishes but seems to help.

First off, yes, I am a newby, so smack me if I sound way too stupid. I'm running 3 ANTminers at this point, trying to get a "proof of concept" if you will. I just can't get the bat file to work the way You've indicated it should. I've tried setting up the .bat file and if I put everything in it that you've suggested, the command screen pops up and quickly disappears, leaving me with no "visualization". Can't seem to get it to do anything unless I run it directly from a Command prompt window (run as admin), and then it does report the "errors" it's experiencing. It's running on a Windows Vista system with absolutely nothing else on the machine. The reported errors start off with "-S Antminer:all" all is not a number, and then move on to "--set-device antminer:clock=x0781" unrecognized option.

If I delete the "-S Antminer:all" option and the "--set-device antminer:clock=x0781" option, the miner will begin, but does not initially recognize any devices. I can type "M" and then "+" and type in "amu:all", hit "return"  and it will then detect and start up all of my ANTminers. So I am operational, up and running, making money like gangbusters (hehehe yeah right) operating at 1.6GH/s on each, but I can't for the life of me figure out how/or if I could "overclock" them to get a little boost in hash rate. I'd just like to know what I'm doing wrong, and why the bat file isn't working for me, and how I might adjust it so that it doesn't require so much extra interaction/keyboarding to get it running. There are times when I'm at my "real" job and may notice that for some reason, my miners have gone on strike, and would like to be able to call home, have my wife just click the bat file and not have to lead her by the hand to get it back up and running. I'd hate to miss out on that $0.22 lost to the other members of the pool.
MTPcgr

Activity: 17

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:01:28 PM

I'm really having some trouble understanding what's going on here.  I've been running a single USB Block Erupter with BFGminer for several weeks and have seen ICA 0: with 337/332/355Mh/s.  I just upgraded to an AntMiner U2 and used this guide to configure it, and it seems to be running ok around 2Gh/s, but the third number is always much lower and my pool reports much much lower speeds than even with my USB Block Erupter. 

What am I doing wrong with the AntMiner to get slower speeds?  And what do those three sets of Gh/s values actually mean?

Block Erupter
bfgminer.exe -o stratum+tcp://stratum.btcguild.com:3333 -O xxxx_1 -S all --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 3.0=100
https://i.imgur.com/PnHlCkx.jpg

AntMiner U2
bfgminer.exe -o stratum+tcp://stratum.btcguild.com:3333 -O xxxx_2 -S antminer:all --set-device antminer:clock=x0881
https://i.imgur.com/LVERcBG.jpg
Proteu5

Activity: 52

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:14:23 AM
Last edit: March 12, 2014, 04:40:54 AM by Proteu5

I'm really having some trouble understanding what's going on here.  I've been running a single USB Block Erupter with BFGminer for several weeks and have seen ICA 0: with 337/332/355Mh/s.  I just upgraded to an AntMiner U2 and used this guide to configure it, and it seems to be running ok around 2Gh/s, but the third number is always much lower and my pool reports much much lower speeds than even with my USB Block Erupter.  

What am I doing wrong with the AntMiner to get slower speeds?  And what do those three sets of Gh/s values actually mean?

It could be a simple fix, I ran into that issue in the beginning. For me, I find that antminer:all doesn't always pickup one of my Antminer's. I found that using "amu:all" works nice for me.

Before we go further, just for the sake of troubleshooting, run BFGminer with no commands, arguments, etc., and enter your Pool, User, and then PW manually. Next, press "M" and then "+", after that type either "all"; "amu:all"; "antminer:all"; or manually find your AMU's device COM Port and try that way - anyway will work, we just want to run a quick test. After BFGminer recognizes your device and connects to your pool see if your hashrate changes. If it does, we know the issue is simple. If not, try my configuration below.
Code:
bfgminer.exe -S amu:all -s 30 -E 60 -q 15 -o 127.0.0.1:25536 -u User.Name -p Pass.Word --set-device antminer:clock=x0881 --no-submit-stale

I run this for solo-mining. For a pool you'll want --no-submit-stale as to keep stale/bad shares off of the pool. On high-hashing Network ASIC's you can get your pool worker banned for an annoying term because of HW (Hardware Errors) and bad shares. The first new argument (or Parameter - I forget what it's technically called) is "-s" This is Scan Time [BFG Readme: --scan-time|-s <arg> Upper bound on time spent scanning current work, in seconds (default: 60)]. The next -E is Expiry [--expiry|-E <arg>   Upper bound on how many seconds after getting work we consider a share from it stale (w/o longpoll active) (default: 120)]. Finally is -q or Queue [--queue|-Q <arg>    Minimum number of work items to have queued (0 - 10) (default: 1)]

I am hoping this fixes everything...

Your HashRates (The one that you need is the lowest)
/5 second exponentially decaying average hash rate/An all time average hash rate/An all time average hash rate based on actual nonces found, adjusted for pool reject and stale rate

Play around with those -s, -q, -E, settings. After you are connected and running, just hit "S" and you can change them live. Just change the -o Pool address and your -u / -p user/pass info before you copy past into a .bat or CMD.

Hope it helps!

EDIT:
I remembered something!
Are you using a USB Port, Extender, Splitter, or HUB?

Mine only can supply enough wattage for five AMU's, this is what happens to the 5th:

http://i58.tinypic.com/10gbcsz.jpg

So for myself, these AMU's on a laptop are 100% worth it and profitable.
MTPcgr

Activity: 17

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 06:27:05 PM

Here is my updated string:
Code:
bfgminer.exe -S amu:all --set-device antminer:clock=x0781 --no-submit-stale -o stratum+tcp://stratum.btcguild.com:3333 -O xxxx_2

Once launched, I manually changed the S to 30, E to 60 and Q to 15 like your example.  For some reason, it rejected those settings from the command line.

Now, I'm getting around 1.5Gh/s, but I still can't get higher.  If I change from 0781 to 0881, 0981, or 0A81, my Gh/s rate in the third column drops to 0.  Obviously 1.5Gh/s is much better than I was getting, so I'm happier, but I'd love to figure out why I'm still not getting 2.0Gh/s like the U2 is supposed to be capable of.

Also, I noticed in your screenshot that the A: value is always 0 or 1, but mine is A: 34 at the time of this screenshot and climbing every few seconds.  What does this value mean?

Finally, you asked about my USB connections.  Right now, I'm not using any hubs, splitter, cables, etc.  I'm plugging directly into an on-board USB port.

https://i.imgur.com/JISQcbO.jpg
kristopher

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 07:03:55 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2014, 10:32:16 PM by kristopher

What kind of system setup do you have? I was playing with a couple of these on an 06 Dell XPS M1210 laptop and was getting 1.5 out of one and .7 out of the other. I switched to a Raspberry Pi running a powered Rosewill 10 port hub and am getting a steady 2.0 out of both with the appropriate clock setting. It looks like the onboard usb header on the laptop didn't provide enough juice for both miners to be happy.

Also: Start the miner, grab a cup of coffee, have a coke and a smile, and come back a while later. I've found that the antminers can take a little bit to really find their stride. Hashrates will fluctuate for a while until you find a steady rate. For me working with two miners, I've found that this can take up to 15 minutes. ymmv.
dmz241

Activity: 519
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 05:25:53 AM

I am new to this and am planning to order the u2 version of this miner. I had a few questions.  I know one is really hard to answer but here goes.
1)How much power per hour do one of these take?
I know it says 2w but does that mean 2 watt per hour?
2)I already have a system running 24/7 due to requirement of place of ownership will the pc it is attached to consume extra power or will it be what the pc is already using?
3)Expected income. I am not looking for profit calculation. I am just asking how much do I expect to make bitcoins wise per month from one of these?
I know this is hard to answer but those of you who are mining with this can give me an idea by taking into account how much you made last month I know it can very but just need an idea?
I live in a third world country and the cost of 1kw/h is only $0.29cents so I do believe if this device only uses 2w/h it can be very profitable here.
Lastly I would like to thank the author of this post who posted such in detail setup of this device.

PS I have read that you can run this with a raspberry pi is there a detailed tutorial on how to set-up a raspberry pi with this?

Thanking you all in advance.
MTBmanTT

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

Bitcoin: The new Wild West

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:45:53 PM

Thank you for this guide,

I am looking forward to setting up my antminer Smiley

BTC: 15EsnLVpCqAKMC59hm5BUYvTLMWXxmwh2D http://scrypt.cc?ref=babi4 LTC: LYgXWLpzQUjWXAHtc7ouMbf83pBTPsGfVG
Jettero42

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:17:03 AM

Also, I noticed in your screenshot that the A: value is always 0 or 1, but mine is A: 34 at the time of this screenshot and climbing every few seconds.  What does this value mean?

The A: value is ACCEPTED.  It should continue to increase every time you see the message Accepted xxxxx

The R: next to is is REJECTED, hopefully a low number
T-Bone-bitcoin

Activity: 22

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 05:05:49 AM

I get minimal rejects and error rate at 2 gh/s but when I overclock past 2 gh/s i get error and rejects which negate the overclock on bfgminer/minepeon.  This is for both the U1 and U2.  Is this normal? I've been running at 2 for a while now and happy with very small rejects and error.  It would be nice to ramp up to 2.2/2.4/2.6 with under 5% error though.  I have a fan and the heat sinks are cool to the touch.
Chazz

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:40:06 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2014, 08:08:47 PM by Chazz

I'm in something of an odd situation here, I don't know what's going on.

I ran through the instructions and had a successful start-up with my shiny new Antminer U2. But then I had to restart my host computer -- basically the desktop crashed, and then I couldn't open any folders.  So I clean shut down BFGMiner, then dirty shut down the host -- had to, whatever killed the desktop also prevented log out. Now, if I rerun the exact same command, BFGMiner can't find the Antminer, it tells me I have no devices. Device manager sees the Antminer ASIC at COM16, but even using M / + I can't get BFGMiner to see it.

I have tried unplugging and replugging the Antminer from the hub, and the hub from the machine. Note: The Antminer ran successfully before, so I don't think it's a problem with hub power.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Never mind... plugged it directly into the computer and it started mining right away. I guess there's something wrong with the hub...
dmz241

Activity: 519
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 06:38:54 AM

I'm in something of an odd situation here, I don't know what's going on.

I ran through the instructions and had a successful start-up with my shiny new Antminer U2. But then I had to restart my host computer -- basically the desktop crashed, and then I couldn't open any folders.  So I clean shut down BFGMiner, then dirty shut down the host -- had to, whatever killed the desktop also prevented log out. Now, if I rerun the exact same command, BFGMiner can't find the Antminer, it tells me I have no devices. Device manager sees the Antminer ASIC at COM16, but even using M / + I can't get BFGMiner to see it.

I have tried unplugging and replugging the Antminer from the hub, and the hub from the machine. Note: The Antminer ran successfully before, so I don't think it's a problem with hub power.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Never mind... plugged it directly into the computer and it started mining right away. I guess there's something wrong with the hub...

I am new here to. But from what I have read is that you need a powerd usb hub for this to work off a hub as it consumes a bit more more then a regular hub can provide. I ordered one and should get the usb in today.

Also Can anyone tell me how to underclock this as I want to run it cooler maybe running it at 1.8Ghz would keep it cool.
Chrithu

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 08:01:35 AM

Also Can anyone tell me how to underclock this as I want to run it cooler maybe running it at 1.8Ghz would keep it cool.

Read the first post of this thread. It explains quite clearly how to set the clock speed to the end of the post.

Also thank you @ the OP. Very nice guide. Looking forward to getting my U2 running.

Chrithu

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 04:22:04 PM

Actually I have a question, since my first U2 is arriving tomorrow and the second should arrive saturday or monday I will soon be setting them up, and I have found several guides now that differ on the matter of clockspeed:

My current understanding is that:
The original U1 was designed to run at 1.6 GH/s and should do so fine without any additional cooling needed.
The U2 basically is a modified version with improved cooling and some adjustment on the two R1 and R2 things (whatever the are I am no engineer and have no idea of such things) that allows for overclocking up to 2.2 GH/s and should run fine at 2 GH/s without additional cooling (at least some product descriptions in shops say so).

What I could not get a definitive answer to is at what point of overclocking will I need additional cooling?

Also all threads/posts/articles I've found allways speak of the necessity of a powered hub especially when running several U2's on the HUB. That makes sense to me. But what about running just two of them directly on my PC's USB ports? Will that work at all?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: