Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 11:33:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It's Time For Theymos To Kill The Alt Section  (Read 17547 times)
BitcoinEXpress (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1210
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 07:18:12 AM

This Alt Sub Forum has out lived its usefulness and needs to go.

Just look at the seriously unappreciative threads trashing Theymos and BCT for banning "Give Away" threads.

Hint:They want Alt coin people to go elsewhere!

It's time for Theymos to give them the nudge out the door by shutting down this section.

~BCX~
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 08:34:55 AM

Although I collect and trade alts, I don't disagree, the alt section now has just become a haven for scam after scam, too much work for any group of mods to sort.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 08:51:28 AM

Just look at the seriously unappreciative threads trashing Theymos and BCT for banning "Give Away" threads.

It's time for Theymos to give them the nudge out the door by shutting down this section.

~BCX~

No-one needs your opinion. STFU.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 08:53:37 AM

No-one needs your opinion. STFU.
I do, and i like his opinion.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
coinrevo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 08:59:40 AM

What precisely are you saying - no alt-coins at all should exist? What mechanisms are you proposing? I'm working on a solution (see my recent thread), at least for the launch of coins. Yes, some kind of filtering would be good, but its not up for a mod to determine. the way this should work IMHO is through a tiered section. in the US stock market you have pinksheets which are equivalent to the crap coins, with 90%+ fraud rates. then you have OTCBB with 80%+ fraud, and finally NASDAQ with 5-10% fraud rates. you can never eliminate all fraud, but you can get to some useful signals for investors. the problem with bitcointalk in this regard is that threads are not useful. all topics should belong to the individual coins.

I think it would be wrong to ban all alt-coins. There are useful for experimentation, and maybe some day something useful will be done. Those Alts can leverage the existing platform to some degree. If X launches an Alt-Coins on his website, nobody would take it serious now. And getting traditional venture capital is not a good idea.
SirLolicon

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Sound Engineer for Hire

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:06:36 AM

They have to be shown a little something but closing down the alt section... isn't that a little too harsh perhaps?

Dweeb

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:08:34 AM

Im sure someone else will be happy to pick up the advertising income from the high volume of traffic the alt section drives through your forums

tk808
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:09:39 AM

Im sure someone else will be happy to pick up the advertising income from the high volume of traffic the alt section drives through your forums

Yeah, this would hurt bitcointalk for the future. There is more profit potential (then currently) to be made in the future from alts. That's what keeps the fire burning in alt-currencies, not bitcoin alone.

Bitcoin is just the gateway drug.

Just depends on the philosophy of how to proceed. But 1 thing is certain, alt-currencies will never go away, Even if they remove this entire section. 
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:16:42 AM

What precisely are you saying - no alt-coins at all should exist?

Don't think anyones saying that here, not having an alt section on a forum about bitcoin is not saying alternatives shouldn't exist. There's other forums dedicated to cryptocurrencies, alts, and any alt worth anything has its own forum.

In summary its bitcointalk not cryptocurrencytalk. Alternative sub forum was just that a sub forum, now its kinda grown too big (and mostly just spam, with little actual alternative currency talk).
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:20:55 AM

you can't stop it, even if you close it here, another forum will be created deal with it, scamcoin gonna scam
btc-mike

Activity: 938

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:47:32 AM

~BCX~

I feel the same. Theymos isn't fond of the alt coin sub-sub-forums.

Let's move the alts to a new forum.
lonesoul

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 09:51:43 AM

Whilst we are limiting people places to find information on a whole sub section of the next generation currencies, could we also start campaigns (1) to limit free speech (2) to start hunting whales again!  (3) to Stop being dicks (4) raise funds for me, to help with my sarcasism

If you dont like reading something, then dont type in the address, click on the link, and read it, just stay in the bitcoin section. its fairly simple really.

Just for referrence

Statistics for Altcoin section
921397 Posts
25870 Topics

Statistics for Bitcoin Section
355901 Posts
24614 Topics

Fairly clear winner if you ask me for shear usage, it doesn't make sense to remove the most active section.

my 2 cents ;-)

Please click this link-> https://mcxnow.com/?r=Stuartnorth       (The link is a referral link, it costs you nothing, but provides a little bonus for me if you click through to the site. Please help feed my baby. Thanks :-) )
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:15:33 PM

close the section becuase there is nothing left in this section.  people can't even put Mining hardware or fucking announcements in the right subforums.  

the increasing number of putative scams in the altcoin section will do nothing but confuse, frustrate, and victimise newbies.

the altcoin section is failing to do what it should be doing, which is providing timely, useful information rather than promotion.

nuke the site from orbit.  it's the only way to be sure.  

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:22:04 PM

I think the more logical thing would be to make a sub forum for each Alt coin and no posts allowed outside. So each alt coin will have its own section and everything pertaining to that coin will be in that section. What we have right now it too much clutter and it becomes very difficult to browse and find topics.
atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:25:46 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2014, 04:51:06 PM by atp1916

Just to be clear.

I am not saying there should be no alts.

I am saying Alts need their own forum, off this site.

Close the Alt sub form and force the change.

~BCX~

Just to be "clear", no.  I don't care if you've been around since 2011 or 2014.  If you honestly think your "seniority" means anything, you are naive and dillusional.  

You even use your hash to destroy the work of other people.  You should be removed from these forums, not alts.

eon89

Activity: 308
Merit: 292

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:47:01 PM

OP is an asshole.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=435921.0

If anything needs killed off it is his access to these forums.

coinrevo

Activity: 70

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:59:20 PM

bitcointalk can't keep up with innovation and the communities are diverging. the solution is in the code.

* create a new board open to alt-coins
* make a section for each alt-coins
* establish some guidelines to reduce #posts/section or forum
* instead of restricting free speech enforce some crowd intelligence

I would vote for a Level system. Everyone can post, put there is a level where low quality posts go. Good posts can be leveled up. This can be a mixture of voting and trust.
lalakies23

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:02:35 PM

Your Fear is obvious with regards to altcoins!!!

Although you will force the most of the users in other forums. Well done
ltcifc

Activity: 344

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:05:20 PM

Just to be clear.

~BCX~
This makes perfect sense.... if you want to be alone with the owner and mods on this forum.
slavo

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 05:07:18 PM

Just to be clear.

~BCX~

Just to be "clear", no.  I don't care if you've been around since 2011 or 2014.  If you honestly think your "seniority" means anything, you are naive and dillusional.  

You even use your hash to destroy the work of other people.  You should be removed from these forums, not alts.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: