Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:39:28 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It's Time For Theymos To Kill The Alt Section  (Read 17558 times)
Moebius327

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:01:28 PM

Alt Coin innovations should not be hindered, but newbies should be protected from 90% scams coins. The dilemma...
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:20:18 PM

There is no such thing as a scam coin, its all a matter of perception. Some coins have specs that seem unreasonable, and they die. If it is not a good coin for whatever reason it will die on its own. We aren't here to protect the newbies, we aren't here to protect people from making their own judgements about a new coin. Its just a matter of space and resources, the forums has compiled a huge database of Bitcoin information, we can't also store huge databases of information for 600 other coins.

Unless something goes horribly wrong, I don't see the Alt Coin section being removed in its entirety, because while spammy, it does do a job, and thats to keep Alt Coin posts out of the rest of the forum. Quite frankly we don't host the Alt Coin section because its good for their economy, or we feel it is necessary to have alt coins, its just there for people that want to discuss alt coins, so they don't post in the rest of the forums. The forum's position on a whole doesn't really care if Alt Coins succeed or fail, it is not in our agenda to effect alt coins in one way or another. If attempting to cut down spam on this individual forum effects the price of an alt coin, that isn't our problem, that means that coin needs more infrastructure or sucks in general. If you look at the more established alt coins, they have their own forums and haven't been effected by the giveaway change at all. Your community needs its own place to store its own information, just like our community needs space to store its own information, primarily about Bitcoins. If people are mad that this isn't an equal opportunity forum between Bitcoins and Altcoins, they can get over it. We treat all Alt Coins alike and Bitcoins ahead of them all.
bitsta

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

r00t-dev

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 09:53:48 PM

This Alt Sub Forum has out lived its usefulness and needs to go.

Just look at the seriously unappreciative threads trashing Theymos and BCT for banning "Give Away" threads.

Hint:They want Alt coin people to go elsewhere!

It's time for Theymos to give them the nudge out the door by shutting down this section.

~BCX~

No-one needs your opinion. STFU.

+1
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:02:17 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2014, 03:27:41 AM by Holliday

Does the Alternate cryptocurrencies section of the forum add more signal or more noise?

I would promote it if it adds more signal, I would remove it if it adds more noise.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:10:28 PM

Well, something needs to be done for sure.

Not only the alcoin section but other thing as well. If I would come here as a totally new user that had no Idea about Bitcoin.

The first thing I would see are endless coins trying to convince me to invest in them. As soon as I enter a Thread, I see countless People advertising in bright red colours some gambling sites, dodgy investments or again useless coins in their sig.

This whole place looks like a site for HYIPs and not for a developing currency that wants to be taken seriously.

If I had no Idea about Bitcoin and the first thing I would find where this forum, I would very quickly come to the conclusion that Bitcoin is some kind of ponzi sheme and would immediately leave and never come back.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:11:15 PM

Does the Alternate cryptocurrencies section of the forum add more signal or more noise?

I would promote it if it adds more signal, I would remove it if it adds more noise.

Way more noise.  Out of 85 alts, how many coins do you think will be successful?  5-10 possibly?
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:37:31 PM

Look, I'm not sure if this post adds anything to the discussion, but imho the core issue is not Bitcoin vs alts. It's rather the old issue of ASICs that put mining out of reach of the majority. People that flock to alts don't necessarily do so because they love alts. They do it because they love money (like Bitcoin miners do) and because they have access to video cards.

I say this from experience. In late summer of 2013 during a heated round of Unreal Tournament 3  Tongue I finally killed my venerable Nvidia 8800 card and so started looking on the internet for reviews. Somewhere I came across with Bitcoin GPU mining and therefore choose to buy an ATI videocard, namely a 7870 Tahiti LE. I went: wait, my ATI will pay for itself doing this Bitcoin mining !?  Shocked

Nope, it did not and it would never, thanks to Bitcoin ASICs.

With a mix of frustration and enthusiasm, I searched more and almost pre-ordered a Japaleno. Throwing money into a pit, didn't look wise though. Searching more, I found out about litecoin.

Fast forward, I'm pointing 2.7 Mh/s at middlecoin.com and looking into more, to get BTC. I don't hold alts. I don't "mine" alts. I want the mining hardware to shit out BTC.

Before you ask why didn't I buy BTC ASICs during all this time? Well, because they aren't for sale at any store in Portugal. I go to the store and bring a videocard in hand. If a videocard malfunctions I go back and the money is returned. I don't have to throw money to the internet and pray that the hardware is delivered on the date and working condition advertised. Even more, I was scammed here at the forum on some "cloud" Bitcoin mining garbage.

I'm not going to insult people's intelligence and claim I can generalize from my anedoctal episode. But how many people are into alts just to get BTC?

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
the_poet
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:53:02 PM

Well, something needs to be done for sure.

Not only the alcoin section but other thing as well. If I would come here as a totally new user that had no Idea about Bitcoin.

The first thing I would see are endless coins trying to convince me to invest in them. As soon as I enter a Thread, I see countless People advertising in bright red colours some gambling sites, dodgy investments or again useless coins in their sig.

This whole place looks like a site for HYIPs and not for a developing currency that wants to be taken seriously.

If I had no Idea about Bitcoin and the first thing I would find where this forum, I would very quickly come to the conclusion that Bitcoin is some kind of ponzi sheme and would immediately leave and never come back.

I couldn't agree more. Bitcointalk.org does absolutely NOT convey the image of the 'official' forum for a currency that aspires to revolutionize the way people look at money. It looks just like another spammy place.

Under construction.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 12:07:17 AM

I agree that alts should start their own forums and move out of here.  As the number of alts tends to infinity, so must the resource burden dedicated to them.  I don't think providing space to every indiscriminate offshoot from the Bitcoin source code is the mission of the BitcoinTalk forum.

I think there's limited subject matter pertaining to alts that are totally relevant for this forum (e.g. debating scrypt vs sha256, proof of stake, coins that purport to solve problems of academic interest to Bitcoin such as "premine coin" etc).  They however may not even merit their own subforum, as they appear to me to fall under the same umbrella as the categories we already have.

It's my opinion that all discussion beyond what's relevant to Bitcoin proper, especially promotion and announcement of new "coins", has got to go.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Gcr0n

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:51:34 AM

i see it like this:

Bitcoin is gold, and alts are searching for other precious metals.
some will be bronze, some alluminium, some will be just sand..and if others choose to mine endless mountains of sand let them do it.
there's even a market for sand..

bitcoin is gold, but you know there will be diamonds.. wether or not this will be ethereum time will tell.

i agree to a point that maybe, a mod should select and view alt coins before they are added to the new announcements.
instant ban for anyone posting a trojan or keylogger or whatever.
i wish i had the balls 2 years ago to invest in btc, but like many others even old members discussing btc to the fullest i did not..

alt-coins give many people like me atleast the idea to be part of it, and yes we thank bitcoin for showing us the way.

btc: 1MDQVRQLZe1Y6Vqa5krreHVkFj6fz8sXGd
xapo: 3NpqxQgQXe3HDW6BZNXn3XDvhWh7r3eyi2
LTC: LWs7EK5A8oQBMiGagJsgwgAA5o3ecWkTmY
Doge: D72wxwxjHJun6CiyibcvfZNV2HN7TFpCF3
nrhs05

Activity: 268
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 01:28:28 AM

Perhaps if the Altcoin section was divided into a few sections with subsections for bigger coins restriced to posts about those coins

"Established Altcoins" - LTC, PPC, XPM, FTC, NMC etc
"Up and Coming" - DOGE, STR, TIPS, QRK, WDC
"New Coins - anything most likely a scam or newely released.

Do not pay attention to the exact above list, I just picked a few established coins, and a few with higher trade volumes on exchanges.  My biggest hatred of the Altcoin section is how 9 of every 10 threads are filled with crap, and they amount of alts created is crazy!  Its more work in moderation, and perhaps out of the scope of the mods here... but just my thoughts if they wanted to do something.

The Announcments, Market Place, and mining sub-sections were a good start. 

btc: bc1q3ll9xul5mpyq5vqgzdwj079xl2gxafhrgr3kq0
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 01:31:07 AM

i vote yes to this thread.

Perhaps if the Altcoin section was divided into a few sections with subsections for bigger coins restriced to posts about those coins

"Established Altcoins" - LTC, PPC, XPM, FTC, NMC etc
"Up and Coming" - DOGE, STR, TIPS, QRK, WDC
"New Coins - anything most likely a scam or newely released.

Do not pay attention to the exact above list, I just picked a few established coins, and a few with higher trade volumes on exchanges.  My biggest hatred of the Altcoin section is how 9 of every 10 threads are filled with crap, and they amount of alts created is crazy!  Its more work in moderation, and perhaps out of the scope of the mods here... but just my thoughts if they wanted to do something.

The Announcments, Market Place, and mining sub-sections were a good start. 

The problem is, everything in your "up and coming" list is a scam/hypefest with little justification to be considered "up and coming".

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
nrhs05

Activity: 268

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 01:37:29 AM

Do not pay attention to the exact above list, I just picked a few established coins, and a few with higher trade volumes on exchanges.
Im not saying those are good or arent, as i stated....

btc: bc1q3ll9xul5mpyq5vqgzdwj079xl2gxafhrgr3kq0
cthulu1

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:10:30 AM

The day when a bunch of fucking crybabies whine about what can and can't be posted in their internet forums is the day you have to start really wondering what you're doing with your life. Entitlement and delusions of granduer.....hoooooooooo!!!!!!!
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:22:35 AM

The day when a bunch of fucking crybabies whine about what can and can't be posted in their internet forums is the day you have to start really wondering what you're doing with your life. Entitlement and delusions of granduer.....hoooooooooo!!!!!!!

A great example of lots of noise and no signal.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
cthulu1

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:36:42 AM

Really though...this goes beyond saving a site's functionality and more and more leans towards personal vendettas and a variety of other trivial bullshit. If the last 7 pages aren't considered "noise", starting with the first post, then what would you call it? Oh wait...the only people complaining are elitists. And there's no way they could ever be wrong, right? Wink

You're probably going to be pretty pissed off when I tell you that "noise" isn't contained solely to a singular section of an internet forum. And if discussion boards bother you then I would highly suggest unplugging yourself.
BawsyBoss

Activity: 389

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:03:53 AM

Where exactly is he "whining"?  I take his opinion just as valid as anyone else's whether or not I agree with it.

Forever strong.
AltorXP

Activity: 71

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:32:14 AM

Why not just impose a series of stricter rules?
How about letting it be ONLY announcements and discussions - no giveaways or trading until the coin has gained lots of popularity.
People could perhaps add important features, and make an excellent alt-coin, suppressing these ideas wouldn't make sense.
Rules could be:
• Coin must have an innovative feature, something that makes it stand out amongst other coins
• Coin must be reviewed by a mod before the thread is seen (it's pending until reviewed)
• Coin must not be a complete copy of another - no clones

Adding these rules could effectively get rid of the spam, and make a clean section with innovative coins rather than get rich schemes.
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 07:31:10 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2016, 04:26:12 PM by Starlightbreaker

Why not just impose a series of stricter rules?
How about letting it be ONLY announcements and discussions - no giveaways or trading until the coin has gained lots of popularity.
People could perhaps add important features, and make an excellent alt-coin, suppressing these ideas wouldn't make sense.
Rules could be:
• Coin must have an innovative feature, something that makes it stand out amongst other coins
• Coin must be reviewed by a mod before the thread is seen (it's pending until reviewed)
• Coin must not be a complete copy of another - no clones

Adding these rules could effectively get rid of the spam, and make a clean section with innovative coins rather than get rich schemes.

lel

you're basically killing 99% of it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

cthulu1

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 07:39:03 AM

Where exactly is he "whining"?  I take his opinion just as valid as anyone else's whether or not I agree with it.

That's exactly the point I'm making. It's just his opinion. Someone blowing smoke because (it seems anyway) like someone pissed in the OPs wheaties, every day, for 20-30 consecutive years. If the admins think the section should go, they'll say something. In the meantime, making threads about it, especially taking the time to go to said alt forums despite the fact you explicitly state you do not like it, is not only ironic but laughable. Because owning bitcoin and alt coins and talking about them is a pissing contest. Right? Roll Eyes

Don't get me wrong, I am so glad the give aways were banned. And I am getting tired of people generating stupid coins with no value, intrinsic or monetary. But there's better ways to fix those problems rather than be a Nazi about it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: