Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:18:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposition: Forum Entry Should Cost 1 Bitcoin (about $10)  (Read 2781 times)
Anonymous

September 13, 2011, 07:05:53 PM

I think in order to keep users serious we should make it to where their account here is an investment. We can get rid of the newbie board and assume a user that registers and pays for membership considers this community valuable and will return a similar amount of value in return.

Another side benefit of this is that it would pay for forum hosting easily and possibly with some profit on the side for the project.

Thoughts?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:16:02 PM

Or, at the very least, a BTC deposit that you can withdraw after 6 months of not being an ass.
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:19:30 PM

Or, at the very least, a BTC deposit that you can withdraw after 6 months of not being an ass.
This. Then again, I don't really trust this forum.
Harry

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 07:40:11 PM

I think in order to keep users serious we should make it to where their account here is an investment. We can get rid of the newbie board and assume a user that registers and pays for membership considers this community valuable and will return a similar amount of value in return.

Another side benefit of this is that it would pay for forum hosting easily and possibly with some profit on the side for the project.

Thoughts?

With 1 BTC per post, this forum would be dead.

But with a lower fee (like 0.001 or 0.01 BTC) I like this idea.
Also, I would like to have the option to send up to 50% of the fee to the writer of the post that I'll answer to (defaults to 5%).
(Hm, needs the option to answer a specific post -- like quote).

So it would pay of to write good posts that other people think it's worth to answer.

But I would keep the newbie board and would keep it free to post there. With the option for everyone to hide the newbie-board from their view.
Anonymous

September 13, 2011, 07:41:06 PM

Thoughts?

With 1 BTC per post, this forum would be dead.

Nobody proposed this. What was suggested was a 1 BTC fee at sign-up and that's it.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 07:46:10 PM

Who is stopping you from creating your own forum with such a feature?
But that's beside the point. The traffic to this board decreases every day, and the trolls will eventually move on.
Anonymous

September 13, 2011, 07:47:16 PM

But that's beside the point. The traffic to this board decreases every day, and the trolls will eventually move on.
That's a moot point. Forums and social communities are natural monopolies. There is little reason to move from an established forum over a single feature addition.
Harry

Activity: 16

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:11:55 PM

Nobody proposed this. What was suggested was a 1 BTC fee at sign-up and that's it.

Oh, Ok.
I don't think this would help.

There are always people that likes to hear themselves talking. (Don't know if this makes sense in english).
They would spend 1 BTC and than need to write a lot so that it's worthwhile.

IMHO better a very small fee per post.

With the small fee per post, I'd also like to have a button on replies to my own post, to pay of my asking fee to the writer of an answer.
Also, a possibility to pay a higher fee for a post that could than be donated to answers. Makes sense if I have a question and a good answer is worth some BTC for me.

The more I think about it, the more I like this Idea. Only say things that are worth the BTC. And if other think so to, your post will pay off itself.
ClownCoins

Activity: 18

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:17:07 PM
Last edit: September 13, 2011, 08:57:00 PM by ClownCoins

You seem to be proposing a bitcoin owners club. Certainly a good idea if all you want is a positive energy echo chamber.
FAtlas

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 08:51:38 PM

A forum that costs $10 to join would never work. 
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 09:13:51 PM

That's a moot point. Forums and social communities are natural monopolies. There is little reason to move from an established forum over a single feature addition.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm in like 5 forums at this minute. Would you call power provision a natural monopoly if my computer, heater, and washing machine were all powered by different companies?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 09:21:17 PM

Thoughts?

Wouldn't stop any of the people on my ignore list.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 09:51:55 PM

Thoughts?

Make a poll and you will find that this is probably not very good idea.

What we need, is a semi-automatic slashdot-like meta-moderation system.
It effectively filters out ~99,5% of trolling & spam.

Moderation is done partially by random forum users. It works really great. I don't remember when i have read any serious spam on Slashdot last.

Basically, people randomly receive 5 moderator points. When they read posts, you can use a point to change the rating of a post +/- 1 (min -1, max 5), but you can only change the same post once. You also can choose an adjective to describe the change, such as "funny" "off-topic" "troll" "insightful", etc. The odds of getting the 5 points are based on the number of posts you make, how well those posts are rated, and some other factors I don't remember. You lose the points after 24 hours, and you can't receive moderation more than either 1/day or 1/everyfewdays.

Meta moderation can be done by anyone. Basically, you get a random set of posts, as well as the moderation done to it. So you'll see a post on the "[exalted] sux" thread where someone made a funny joke, but the moderator knocked it down a point as saying "off-topic". You can than choose whether the moderator was fair with the moderation or not. This, in turn, affects the odds of the person getting moderator points in the future. Note that the name of the moderator is not given.

It works really well, gives some benefit to those that make good points by increasing their odds of getting moderator points, and is difficult to abuse. Slashdot has near a million subscribers, and regularly sees thousands of posts each day, so the system has been decently tested.

ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 12:24:52 AM

News from the future!

"Bitcoin forums hacked; $10000 stolen" -- reddit
"According to buttcoin.org, the bitcoin forums were hacked on December the 10th by an unknown donor member with an IP from Russia.  Buttcoin reports that $10000 worth of bitcoins in membership fees were taken as a result of the attack."

(BFL)^2 < 0
Surawit

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 01:01:57 AM

People suggesting a reddit/metafilter/slashdot style meta-moderating system are making the dangerous assumption that 'legitimate users' outnumber the trolls
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 01:08:20 AM

A forum that costs $10 to join would never work. 
Metafilter charges $5 to join, has been going strong for years, and has a thriving community with low-noise discussions.
http://www.metafilter.com/newuser.mefi

He's mocking you, guy. You gotta learn not to bite on the trawlin'.
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 01:20:47 AM

I am of the opinion that bitcoin is not currently large/popular enough to support a pay only forum, Requiring people pay to join this forum will be the end of it. I do agree we need better filters for some of the worse users i've seen whitelisted users cause hell i have to wonder who let them out

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 01:43:08 AM

The best communities (Wikipedia in its early days, 4chan's non-/b/ boards, etc.) make it very easy for people to "drive-by contribute". I would like to allow this as much as possible, so I do not want a required fee. (Obviously the newbies board is not optimal for this. I've always planned to remove it.)

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 04:33:29 AM

I like it!

Bruce can do the accounting and Mark can do security.

We probably should have Yubi keys (see image) so that the 99% of people who don't use them can be blamed for any problems.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
ohforf

Activity: 327

we are legion

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 04:57:09 AM

If i wanted to pay 10 bucks to get flamed by retards, i would join SA.  Tongue

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▀██████ EAT SLEEP DECENTRALIZE ██████▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print