Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 06:21:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did crypto become mainstream too early?  (Read 555 times)
bitekoin (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 06:37:19 AM

Hear me out: I think we got too popular too fast. The normal person on the ground would expect to use crypto much more for daily-life transactions but this is not currently the case. Maybe we needed some more time for the technology to mature (no scaling issues, slow transactions, etc) THEN the normies come in. Right?
coco23

Activity: 1974
Merit: 856

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 07:55:51 AM

Hear me out: I think we got too popular too fast. The normal person on the ground would expect to use crypto much more for daily-life transactions but this is not currently the case. Maybe we needed some more time for the technology to mature (no scaling issues, slow transactions, etc) THEN the normies come in. Right?
Where do you see the "normies"?
My experience is that many people have heard of BTC and crypto (due to the news coverage in the last bubble), but only a very small minority uses it or roughly knows how it works. What crypto needs is easy-to-use apps and clients that even the dumbest user can use. (something like a crypto whatsapp that can be used to pay simply). Until then a majority won't be reached I'm afraid.
livingfree

Activity: 2828
Merit: 578

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 08:05:51 AM

Hear me out: I think we got too popular too fast.
I don't think so, bitcoin has started since 2009 and I guess it's starting to mature so it's also a decade few more months to go.

The normal person on the ground would expect to use crypto much more for daily-life transactions but this is not currently the case.
It's not the case for you but the fact that it can be use for daily transactions and it's real happening in the real world.

Maybe we needed some more time for the technology to mature (no scaling issues, slow transactions, etc) THEN the normies come in. Right?
The devs won't figure out the problems if we'll not let new comers to get in.

What crypto needs is easy-to-use apps and clients that even the dumbest user can use. (something like a crypto whatsapp that can be used to pay simply). Until then a majority won't be reached I'm afraid.
There are portable wallets that are in mobile which can easily use even the user isn't technically knowledgeable at it. There's no need to spoon feed them as we are in the tech world now where everything is starting to digitalize.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
Tytanowy Janusz
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1622

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 08:21:08 AM

The normal person on the ground would expect to use crypto much more for daily-life transactions but this is not currently the case.
It's not the case for you but the fact that it can be use for daily transactions and it's real happening in the real world.

Bitcoin is not being used for everyday transactions (once a month from exchange to wallet is not everyday transaction. Only in few countries it is possible to go shoping only with bitcoin wallet, bet even there only minority use it). We have 200k transactions daily on bitcoin. Visa have 150 mil. With that amount transaction fees will be anormous.

Op - very interesting topic. I dont think bitcoin is that much popular yet. But you are right about it not beeing ready for massive adoption. But in Consensus 2018 it was topic nr 1 - creating user frendly environment for newbie user. Make him possible to transfer bitcoin to eth wallet without knowing its stupid (bitcoins will automatycaly be trade to eth). Becouse current user have to have knowledge to use crypto.

Glory90

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 08:21:48 AM

I think so nowadays, not too many stores or services that accept cryptocurrency as payment but some Blockchain have problems such as slow transaction and scalability, this shows the unpreparedness of cryptocurrency for mass use in daily transactions, actually we can process transactions quickly by utilizing payment cards like TenX but it still has weaknesses such as limited transactions and fees

▰▰▰   Ex-Bounty Hunter   ▰▰▰
Geoff999

Activity: 476

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 08:40:14 AM

I don't think we are mainstream yet, so its not too early.

All the average Joe's from Dec/Jan were just here to invest and try and make a fast buck, not to use the technology as a mainstream product.

This year has some great product releases on the blockchain so will be interesting to see how it fairs by December however.
limmousine

Activity: 546
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 01:19:16 PM

if everyone knows and knows the crypto, then I'm sure its use will continue to increase and can create a high demand. it's just a matter of time and if everyone has benefited from crypto, then I'm sure crypto is more popular than it is today.

before success can be achieved, then there are many processes to go through, challenges, bans and all that takes time to get through it.
atliens99

Activity: 392
Merit: 13

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 01:51:46 PM

It's not even close to mainstream yet.  the market is still projected to grow into the trillions.
harnorno2

Activity: 72
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 01:54:40 PM

I somewhat agree that we are growing too fast. A classic example is the Dec 17 period where there is a parabolic run-up in BTC price due to increased awareness and advertisements via traditional news channel, etc. However, the technology is not mature for it to be adopted in the real-world, where there are many issues such as scaling, transaction fees, etc. The community must unite and grow and mature the cryptocurrency scene, point out potential scams, and together, we will all benefit!
Eraldo Coil

Activity: 448
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 02:05:03 PM

Bitcoin wasn't that popular before because of it's price. It became known better and better because of it's price making people regret that they should've known or invested bitcoin earlier. Bitcoin didn't became mainstream too early because it took a lot of years before it's price went up like this and no one really expected this to happen. And speaking of technology in bitcoin, I think that will also continue to develop.

coyote50

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2018, 02:06:05 PM

it is in no way mainstream. go ask 10 random people on the street if they have ever interacted with any cryptocurrency in any way and you would be lucky to find one who has. maybe you have to ask 100 to find one. i'm talking about outside of your circle of friends and family
JungleBadman

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 02:09:17 PM

Isn't that what is currently happening? Crypto never became mainstream yet. December/January was but a taste of what is to come when it finally does go mainstream but it cannot go mainstream until the infrastructure is there to support it. It is still very early in this ride man.
MMysterious

Activity: 972
Merit: 255

Bear season or just the beginning

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 02:22:03 PM

Crypto is very very far from being mainstream. The money all around the world is nearly hundred trillion dollars and crypto market is not even worth half of a trillion dollars. This is not negative because this means that our room for growth is still very wide.
cryptomeo

Activity: 560

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 02:52:31 PM

Crypto is very very far from being mainstream. The money all around the world is nearly hundred trillion dollars and crypto market is not even worth half of a trillion dollars. This is not negative because this means that our room for growth is still very wide.

I agreed, crypto still relatively niche or small at the moment. Crypto still short of some big names that can drive another level of craze/hype. At the moment, no one is enticed or has any urge to use crypto.
bobo012

Activity: 714
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 03:42:59 PM

It is maturing, and everything we have seen is normal in that process. You can use it as digital gold, as it is far superior to all other stores of value, and people havent even grasped that yet, let alone how superior it is for transacting over internet or remittances. It is not popular yet, but it will be
CLywaTeLb

Activity: 770

send and receive money instantly, no hidden costs

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 04:36:18 PM

This problem constantly bothers me, but I did not formulate it. Now the crypto is a hype with FOMO and with panic. I would prefer quiet fundamental growth from the real implementation of crypto to life than sharp pumps&dumps.

itrade777

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 04:38:17 PM

I think a lot of people heard about cryptocurrency but a liitle knowledge regarding on it. I believe we are still on a normal transition pace in the cryptocurrency industry wherein little by little we are growing and other countries are starting to use coins also.
jagdeepjd

Activity: 700
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 05:11:51 PM

I don't think we are near to even popular as yet. Yes, there was a huge influx of users in the late 2017 and a lot of media involvements but we are far far away to be considered as a mainstream. for the daily uses, it will take some time yet because as you mentioned we need to address scaling and other issues so that the normal users can use crypto easily.
go4crypto

Activity: 798
Merit: 263

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 05:19:11 PM

Crypto is nowhere close to mainstream yet. Most people may have heard the name Bitcoin in news but very few understand what it does or own any. They do not know about most other cryptos in the same way so it will take some years before crypto is mainstream and people are buying coffee with crypto.
teilwalL05

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 05:20:31 PM

It is simply becoming known to certain people the word Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency and Digital money But I really think even if there are many well known stuff about Cryptocurrency many people are always thinking that it is just a scam and you will lose money more than gaining from it which is kind of truth in a little percentage of it, Well I really think it is OK for Cryptocurrecny to be involve in mainstream media but not in the bad side, So many people will really understand all the usefulness and may gain little knowledge about it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: