Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:32:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Gavin Andresen Sincere when he says he cares deeply about privacy in Bitcoin?  (Read 3922 times)
Bill Bisco (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:15:27 AM

In this video around 4:05 Gavin Andresen says that he does care deeply about privacy.

I'm really worried because it's been nearly a year now.  I don't hear anything from the core developers that they're going to implement something concrete to ensure bitcoin's anonymity.

I hear about Zerocoin's developers saying that the Bitcoin developers were unwilling to modify the source code and add anonymity and so Zerocoin will now become an alt coin.

I get really nervous when I read articles like this or talks like this which highlight the extreme dangers that can be imposed by world governments without anonymity.

I don't know, guys, I want to believe Gavin Andresen, but I'm really worried that the Bitcoin core developers will choose the easy path and not implement any additional anonymity features in Bitcoin.  I really fear for the long term viability of Bitcoin and the abilities of vindictive governments to harass people if these anonymity features aren't implemented.

BTC: 1PVqE4eM8uBJ7Xb9rCsCLajp5YSi6p8oQ6
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 02:19:18 AM

I really fear for the long term viability of Bitcoin and the abilities of vindictive governments to harass people if these anonymity features aren't implemented.

Ditto.

Future Bitcoin services need to be run as if they are illegal enterprises, like Silk Road, even if what they are doing is apparently legal.

Why:
  • Laws change.
  • Regulations are vague and open-ended, and it's probably impossible to operate a business without accidentally violating one.
  • Even if you do manage to operate without violating any rule law enforcement agencies do not always limit themselves to the letter of the law when deciding to begin an enforcement action.
  • Governments are not the only threats to a successful business. Non-governmental organized crime is almost equally capable of extortion.

The solution is to run all services in the darknet, not tied to any physical location or legal jurisdiction, and without any explicit connection to a real-life identity.

In order to reduce the risk of the operator running away with all the coins customers should start using Bitcoin like it was intended and only get involved with zero-trust business models instead of giving their money to companies that blindly emulate old paradigms.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:29:50 AM

Have you looked into CoinJoin?: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=279249.0  This is already implemented in the Blockchain.info webwallet.

In general, I feel people's fear of "privacy loss" has more to do with their lack of understanding of the existing bitcoin protocol (partly due to insufficient tools/wallets to easily implement better privacy by default) than any deficiency of bitcoin. 

Sometimes you want addresses and transactions to be public and easily traceable, other times you don't.  Bitcoin allows for both. 

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:35:43 AM

Better clients will get adopted by the majority of the network ... you are essentially concerned with a centralisation of the software development (and it could be a valid one). But if it proves to be a long term problem the ecosystem will react accordingly in an emergent way.

E.g. if you are given the choice between free client software that includes privacy tools and free client software that doesn't, which will you choose to install?

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 03:14:29 AM

Better clients will get adopted by the majority of the network ... you are essentially concerned with a centralisation of the software development (and it could be a valid one). But if it proves to be a long term problem the ecosystem will react accordingly in an emergent way.

E.g. if you are given the choice between free client software that includes privacy tools and free client software that doesn't, which will you choose to install?

If coins are tainted by virtue of being used by a client which performs privacy related operations, and if retailers refuse them (because, say, there is a government mandate to honor the tainting authority's output), then I'm using the client which does not.

(Of course I'll also be spending all my BTC and switching over to an alt which is more robust, but that's just me.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:06:49 AM

If coins are tainted by virtue of being used by a client which performs privacy related operations, and if retailers refuse them (because, say, there is a government mandate to honor the tainting authority's output), then I'm using the client which does not.

I can imagine a Coin Tainting Authority (CTA) in some dystopian future--initially implemented to blacklist the bounty of some great crime--that slowly grows more and more prejudiced.  I can see how such a system could arise.  

But how would this tainting authority discriminate coinjoin transactions of untainted coins where the inputs are controlled by a single entity, from coinjoin transactions where the inputs have multiple owners?  (see: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=279249.0)  Stopping this legitimate need for privacy is a more difficult proposition--both technically and politically---than the CTA declaring the coins at 1IStole1BillionDollars398dj as black-listed.      

In any case, I expect any credible "tainting" efforts to be several years away, if they happen at all (I personally think blacklisting/tainting will not work for technical reasons).  And, in the absence of a truly one-world totalitarian government, there will always be some untaint-for-a-fee mechanism: for were not control and profits from money-laundering what motivated our hypothetical CTA to over-reach in the first place?

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
anti-scam

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

COINECT

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:12:36 AM

Zerocoin wasn't implemented in the first place because it simply wasn't ready. The new Zerocoin hasn't even released any code publicly yet. It's too early to judge whether or not it will make it into Bitcoin.

▄▄▓▓▄▄   ▄▓▓▓▄
            ▄▄▓▓▀    ▀▓▓▓▀   ▀▓▓▓▄
         ▄▓▓▀▀        ▐▓         ▀▓▓▓
         ▓▓   ░▓▓▒    ▐▓     ▓▓░   ▐▓
         ▓▓    ░▀▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓▀▀    ▐▓
      ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░  ▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
    ▓▓▀     ▀▀   ▓▓   ▐▓   ░▓▄   ▀▀    ▀▓▓░
    ▓▓        ▓▓▓░    ▐▓     ▀▓▓▄        ▓░
    ▓▓▄▄▄    ▐▓░   ▄▓▄▓▓▒▄▓▄   ▓▓░   ▄▄▄▄▓░
    ▓▓▀▀▀    ▐▓░   ▀▀▀▓▓▒▀▀    ▓▓░   ▀▀▀▒▓░
    ▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄   ▐▓    ▄▓▓▓▀       ░▓░
    ▀▓▓▄▄  ▄▓▄   ▓▓   ▐▓   ▐▓▒   ▓▄   ▄▓▓▓░
        ▀▓▓▓▀▀   ▓▓   ▐▓   ▐▓░   ▀▀▓▓▓▀░
         ▓▓    ▄▓▓▓   ▐▓    ▓▓▄░   ▐▓░░
         ▀▓▄   ▀▓     ▐▓     ▀▀   ▄▓▓░
           ▀▓▓▓▄      ▓▓░      ▄▓▓▀░
               ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▀░▓▓▓▄▓▓▓░
COINECT
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
AI-based decentralized
arbitrage trading system
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄
                        ▄▄█████▀▀███
                    ▄▄████▀▀     ███
              ▄▄▄████▀▀    ▄▄   ▐██
          ▄▄█████▀       ▄█▀    ██▌
     ▄▄████▀▀▀       ▄███▀      ██▌
    ████▀        ▄▄████▀       ▐██
     ██████▄▄  ▄█████▀         ██▌
          ▀████████           ▐██
            ▀████▌            ███
             ▀███  ▄██▄▄     ▐██▀
              ███▄███▀███▄   ███
              ▀███▀▀   ▀▀███▄██▌
                          ▀▀█▀▀

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ████▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ███████▄
█  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌  ▐▓███████▄
█              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█                      █
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █
█                      █
█  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █
█                      █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
maurya78

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:01:55 AM

I would like to say yes but time alone will tell...

Ragnarly

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:41:53 AM

Bitcoin Anonymity Upgrade Zerocoin To Become An Independent Cryptocurrency

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2014/01/13/bitcoin-anonymity-upgrade-zerocoin-to-become-its-own-cryptocurrency/
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:44:48 AM

The good thing is that zerocoin can be added later to bitcoin once released and tested. Privacy and anonymity are extremely important.  Coinjoin, dark wallet etc are all parts of the puzzle.
Alpaca Bob

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 12:33:45 PM

CoinJoin and all that is great, but Bitcoin really needs to run anonymously by default, and it must do so before we reach the tipping point of mass adoption.

I wish I could code so I could help  Embarrassed

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
Coolstoryteller

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:35:31 PM

There's a few developers working on privacy sensitive coins besides zerocoin. Anoncoin, Stablecoin (accepting beta testers for its mixer- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=402095), and Darkcoin. Zerocoin seems to be getting the most PR because they have a cryptography professor behind it.

"Buy, sell, trade, chat. Leave nothing but a Shadow." - www.shadow.cash
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 11:09:58 PM

Bitcoin will go mainstream so there cant be more privacy.

Zerocoin will fill that gap. And believe me: zerocoin will never be added in bitcoin. Dont wait for that.

freet0pian

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:40:32 PM

Bitcoin will go mainstream so there cant be more privacy.

Zerocoin will fill that gap. And believe me: zerocoin will never be added in bitcoin. Dont wait for that.

Agree 100%. If zerocoin functionality would be implemented in bitcoin there would be two large obstacles to get gov. approval for that or at least they would pretend these were obstacles. The perfect anonymity would make the Oh-So-Dreaded-Money-Laundering™ a lot easier so no compliance with AML and also The-Poor-Customers-Would-Be-Left-Mugged-And-Scammed-Of-Their-Bitcoins™ while the criminals could disappear into the dark web...

░▒▓█ welcome to freet0pia █▓▒░
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 11:56:31 PM

I'm sorry to say this - but I do not trust Gavin. While he tries to appear unconventional / independent at the surface, he seems to be rather conformist at the core. Consider all the Bitcoin Foundation pro regulation stuff he's pushing and his talking with officials.

He likes flattery. He is also prone to be blackmailed since he's not an anonymous person and has family.

Conclusion: We urgently need initiatives for more privacy.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 05:32:38 PM

Forget about anonymity If you want to see $10K/btc.

I expect that Silkroad & Co will move to Zerocoin in time.
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 05:57:06 PM

I get really nervous when I read articles like this or talks like this which highlight the extreme dangers that can be imposed by world governments without anonymity.

Add my thread to the logic about the threats from lacking anonymity.

Zerocoin doesn't obscure IP addresses. Still vulnerable to traffic and pattern analysis too. CoinJoin can't scale due to denial-of-service in its 2nd signing step. DarkCoin appears to be fundamentally flawed. Etc.

All the gory details in this thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=439357.msg5355485#msg5355485

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 06:15:41 PM

I suspect that this has nothing to do with privacy and Zerocoin wanted to make changes that Gavin didn't like to the source code, he's not stupid, I can never understand why people like Zerocoin or even Bitcoin foundation for example feel the need to hijack other peoples' work unless it was for a nefarious reason, they should have just gone and made an altcoin from the beginning.

Anoncoin did it right away and they're succeeding so I don't understand why the Zerocoin devs have such a problem with this, this kind of thing is why Satoshi released the code open source in the first place.
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 06:19:07 PM

This whole stuff make you wonder what happended to Satoshi. Could be, he was found by NSA/CIA and killed. Then they awarded the project lead to their socket puppet Gavin.

Because it unlikely Satoshi would have choosen somebody living in the USA.
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 06:45:57 PM

I get really nervous when I read articles ... or talks like this which highlight the extreme dangers that can be imposed by world governments without anonymity.

Andreas' rant started around 33 minutes or so, and he really got into by 39 min. He basically says that the developed world is too focused on profit, navel-gazing, kissing the boot of regulators. He says the 6 billion are driving the real future of Bitcoin.

Cool! He and I are shouting the same thing!

So fuck these assholes in this forum who are criticizing me.

P.S. Andreas has one flaw in his analysis, the developing world is short the dollar and the tail doesn't wag the dog yet. The USA is still fully in control for another decade or so. So we have to go through a really big mess first before we get to his ideal.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: