Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:07:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to choose\check USED graphics card before buy  (Read 332 times)
bandibar (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:29:25 AM
Last edit: June 11, 2018, 12:18:02 PM by bandibar
Merited by vlad230 (1)

Hello my friends,

first of all I want to warn - do not buy a card without checking, even if there is a check, the box and the card looks like new.

You met with the seller, in the beginning you need to look at the video card, pay attention to:

1) Presence of seals (not an indicator, because you can disassemble the card without damaging them)
2) The color of the textolite. If the card was being repaired, for example, the video chip was heated, the card would be slightly darkened\brown. It is best to focus on the white silkscreen, which is drawn around the details and written the names of the elements. First of all it darkens.

Left  example of a normal color of textolite(images from Google):

And right this is how it looks after repairs(They are more brown)

You can see with the naked eye the difference of the color shade. It is better to bypass these cards, because it is not clear what they did there and how long she will live. Here is another example of a repair card:

the PCI slot is darker than the rest of the textolite

3) If there is a possibility to look under the radiator, then it is worth to look there. Around the video chip should be clean (does not apply to memory chips, because many cards leak thermal pads).

On the left photo this is how a card looks like in which 99% of people have not repaired anything

On the right everything is clean, the edge around the chip is white and one shade. Well, even comments are superfluous. Do not take it in any way.

4) Also it is worth paying attention to all the stickers, everything should be evenly glued without any signs of dismantling. On the card there can't be no stickers, even on the cards with the backplane there is a sticker with the serial number.

5) Turn the fan with your finger, without fanaticism. It should spin easily and without unnecessary sounds, there should also be no backlash if you swing the blades sideways.

P.S.:
How to programmatically using GPU-Z, 3dmark and FurMark(or another software) to check the video card, I will not write here, there are a lot of guides/topics, if there are needy people, I will write

Update:
If some one will be interesting, I make part 2 guide on "how How to choose\check USED graphics card before buy". there I will explain how to test the graphics card programmatically
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4455948.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jeremy_Wilson

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 11:16:49 AM

An interesting method of verification, never thought about a similar
ciciteng

Activity: 168
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 11:27:34 AM

You can also see the sign of wear from several aspects like: dusty in the fan's blade, the PCI pins, and a little smell to check if "there's a burning smell" present.
It's kinda difficult to explains but you will get that burning smell if the GPU card is working very hard for mining to dead before  Grin
Good luck! Wink
bandibar (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 11:44:36 AM

It's kinda difficult to explains but you will get that burning smell if the GPU card is working very hard for mining to dead before  Grin

My opinion about the cards after the mining. As practice shows, the factory marriage gets out in the first months of using the card. In the case of mining, it will happen much earlier.

If the card is used/used in mining, say a year, then it will work for a very long time, most likely it will simply become obsolete before it dies (if, of course, it was taken care of)

John_Levon

Activity: 78

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 11:49:26 AM

My opinion about the cards after the mining. As practice shows, the factory marriage gets out in the first months of using the card. In the case of mining, it will happen much earlier.

If the card is used/used in mining, say a year, then it will work for a very long time, most likely it will simply become obsolete before it dies (if, of course, it was taken care of)

About mining exactly said. I was mining at work Radeon 7870 about a year in 2013. Then I brought her home and played it for another 4 years. Now just like an office card.
vmozara

Activity: 190
Merit: 59

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 11:58:07 AM

A card from a good miner is probably much better shape than a gaming card.

One example,
my mining vegas never saw the temperatures more than 70, the load is constant and without any stressing. On other end, I would not like to be in shoes of my gaming vega. Even the massive waterblock barely keeps its power under control. On the maximum stress you can hear electronic components making noises.

I guess for mining card the only issue could be working hours of the cooling fan.

Anyway, thanks for nice guide! thumbs up!
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 12:58:04 PM

Overall that was an excellent post. Only point number three that was a bit hard to check, because that was hiding in other parts. But while we have a personal warranty from the seller (let say 2-3 days), we can check it at our place. And also we can do the stress test (as OP said that not posted here)
bandibar (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 01:48:41 PM

Overall that was an excellent post. Only point number three that was a bit hard to check, because that was hiding in other parts. But while we have a personal warranty from the seller (let say 2-3 days), we can check it at our place. And also we can do the stress test (as OP said that not posted here)

if it is interesting, I can write how to check the graphics card for authenticity, not fake from Ebay\AliExpress, or that the card matches its name and is not repainted in the BIOS
vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 02:02:17 PM

Thanks for sharing this good info on how to detect issues with GPUs! Smiley Merited!

I think checking it through benchmarking software is out of discussion since you normally receive the package or meet with the seller and you need to pay for it before you can test it.

An option could be to ask the seller to bechmark it before sending it to you and making a video of it but I'm not sure if the seller would agree to that.
bandibar (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 02:12:29 PM

Thanks for sharing this good info on how to detect issues with GPUs! Smiley Merited!

I think checking it through benchmarking software is out of discussion since you normally receive the package or meet with the seller and you need to pay for it before you can test it.

An option could be to ask the seller to bechmark it before sending it to you and making a video of it but I'm not sure if the seller would agree to that.
Thank you for Merit! Smiley

I believe that buying a video card at a distance, this is a big risk (it can only from a friend).

Before buying, you can ask the seller to give you the opportunity to test the video card yourself (you can do it on his device, or on yours), it will not take very long, and if the seller refuses, it may hint at an unscrupulous seller
John_Levon

Activity: 78

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 04:56:12 PM

How to programmatically using GPU-Z, 3dmark and FurMark(or another software) to check the video card, I will not write here, there are a lot of guides/topics, if there are needy people, I will write

can you make guide like this for benchmarking test?
bandibar (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 07:00:15 AM

can you make guide like this for benchmarking test?

sure I can
but I think people did not really like the post, only 1 merit
in any case within a couple of days I can do
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1709

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 08:38:14 AM

Unless you are buying the GPUs online like on eBay with buyer protection, then you can't really do these checks prior to purchase.

I've dealt with Craiglists and had a 95% success rate in getting working gear. The other 5% was something that was damage prior.

Most sellers are honest and its the factor that you use when buying second hand.

Most sellers won't let you disassemble the GPU to look for new flux. Also some will meet you at some random place for security and unless you lug your entire desktop+monitor+keyboard+mouse you won't be able to test prior.

Plus its also very time consuming and most people don't have 30-60 extra minutes for you to test the GPU before purchase.

My advice, don't spend like $500 USD for a used GPU, only buy cheap GPUs for like $50-$100

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
bandibar (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 08:57:39 AM

Unless you are buying the GPUs online like on eBay with buyer protection, then you can't really do these checks prior to purchase.

I've dealt with Craiglists and had a 95% success rate in getting working gear. The other 5% was something that was damage prior.

Most sellers are honest and its the factor that you use when buying second hand.

Most sellers won't let you disassemble the GPU to look for new flux. Also some will meet you at some random place for security and unless you lug your entire desktop+monitor+keyboard+mouse you won't be able to test prior.

Plus its also very time consuming and most people don't have 30-60 extra minutes for you to test the GPU before purchase.

My advice, don't spend like $500 USD for a used GPU, only buy cheap GPUs for like $50-$100

I build on my experience and experience of my friends
 for example, the last video card purchased on Ebay  GTX1063  it must have Cuda cores 1152  and  Base clock 1506
but after test I see It was same name, the amount of memory is the same as on the real 1063, but the Cuda cores was just 192 and Base clock 783

after some research I understand that it was just fake card 2011 year GTS450 (with 192 cuda cores)

manji

Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 09:00:22 AM

if it is interesting, I can write how to check the graphics card for authenticity, not fake from Ebay\AliExpress, or that the card matches its name and is not repainted in the BIOS
That's a good idea,
I also wait and already read your tips above, surely if buying in Offline store may be easy to check in front of them (seller) before there is a deal but when buying in Online store is a bit difficult (how to check a gpu before receiving at home).

Jeremy_Wilson

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 02:46:02 PM

But while we have a personal warranty from the seller (let say 2-3 days), we can check it at our place.

There are also reliable sellers of video cards, with the office at least

but if it comes to buying from the hands or at small workshops (who buy broken cards and repair/burn card) then you can directly with them to conduct such a test examination as described by the OP

bandibar (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 12:44:18 PM

I make it. If you are interesting: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4455948.0
xlm19877

Activity: 140
Merit: 20

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 01:25:21 PM

thank you bro for your info

but about me i can not buy used gpu card using at mining

there is no Guarantee and the card work 24/24 so it will died any time
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: