Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:46:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FPGA Miner Design for Sale to Someone willing to Market It  (Read 8474 times)
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 07:43:28 PM

and how much would those cost exactly?

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 07:52:33 PM

That sounds right on the edge of being pratical in place of say a 5870 or 6990 depending on the cost of such a pcb but no way i can see that getting cut down to less than 400 dollars

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 09:06:38 PM

afik this has todo with the much more useful dsp slices and the more efficient far routing (more so)  in the virtexes.

I seriously doubt the prices as well. On mouser they even offer them in large numbers with an insignificant discount.

high troll factor ITT.
TeraMiner (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 09:09:19 PM

I am glad to see such enthusiasm for our price per performance. However, keep in mind that these are costs to manufacture. The selling price will certainly be higher, depending on the business model that we take. Please stop asking to buy one (or many!) as we only have a proof-of-concept, not an actual product for sale. I would also like to point out that you guys are WAY off on FPGA pricing. I have several direct quotes from FPGA vendors over the years that are far superior to your assumptions. You guys must be looking at pricing from distributors. You have to go direct to get good pricing. Anyway, the point of this post was to look for interested business partners who are willing to work with us to take it to market.

Just a little bit of background on us. We are seasoned designers with long job histories with companies like IBM, Altera and others. It is certainly healthy to doubt technologies that seem a bit beyond the curve of today's solutions. But sometimes the right details line up at the right time. As people contact us for more information, they will get to know who we are and see that we are completely up front. We'll start with a demonstration of the design on the development kit, review the code and resulting FPGA tool output for the target device. We'll share documentation, schedules and actual quotes for component pricing.

You could imagine some interesting go-to-market strategies like self-mining until the difficulty gets too high, then offering the board for sale, etc. We just need someone with the right background and amount of time to take this to market. We're good engineers but we're not ready to take on the full challenges of a new business at this time. I'm sure you can understand that.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 09:12:41 PM

Just a little bit of background on us. We are seasoned designers with long job histories with companies like IBM, Altera and others. It is certainly healthy to doubt technologies that seem a bit beyond the curve of today's solutions. But sometimes the right details line up at the right time. As people contact us for more information, they will get to know who we are and see that we are completely up front. We'll start with a demonstration of the design on the development kit, review the code and resulting FPGA tool output for the target device. We'll share documentation, schedules and actual quotes for component pricing.

Laughable.

Such people would just launch a site and mailing list, provide detailed information on a finished product instead of creating a thread in this forum and bragging about made up prices.
TeraMiner (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 09:27:44 PM

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. We have a very promising proof-of-concept, not an actual product to sell. We're looking for a business partner who appreciates the potential the BitCoin market and will help us make a run at this. Do you think there is a better place to look for such a partner than the BitCoin forums? If so, please let me know and I'll check it out. Based on everyone's reaction, it looks like this would sell itself. Maybe we don't need to think so much about how to make a business out if and just go ahead and build it ourselves.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 09:41:49 PM

Based on everyone's reaction, it looks like this would sell itself.
No that means you need to troll harder.

Maybe ask these guys: http://unlimiteddetailtechnology.com/  Cheesy
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 10:06:19 PM

People at LargeCoin might be interested.
TeraMiner (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 10:17:40 PM

Yes, we've seen LargeCoin and they are one of the reasons why we have hesitated. That and the thought that the BitCoin market may dry up has us wondering if we should continue. Since we've already established that many people doubt the characteristics of our target product, let's change the discussion to one of business prospects.

Let's assume that we "magically" build a product as described in the first post and offer it for sale at a price that was maybe 2x the cost to build. What kind of market do you think there would be for such a product? Are we talking the sale of 10's, 100's or 1000's or boards?  Does anyone have an opinion on that? Please include some of your reasonings, too.

Thanks in advance.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 10:22:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik
Bossland

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 10:24:19 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik

comes near that target

I sent you a mail introducing myself. However its now sleep time.
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 12:29:37 AM

Let's assume that we "magically" build a product as described in the first post and offer it for sale at a price that was maybe 2x the cost to build. What kind of market do you think there would be for such a product? Are we talking the sale of 10's, 100's or 1000's or boards?  Does anyone have an opinion on that? Please include some of your reasonings, too.

Thanks in advance.

All the "serious miners" would get a few of those. I can't tell you any exact numbers, but since the current hash rate is 12.25THash I would say that we are talking of a few 100's, at the very least.

But there is another problem: prices have been dropping for 3 months. It went from $20 to $4. We really need new investors in the market to keep the price from falling. If the price doesn't rise, people will not make hardware investments in mining because it won't be profitable.
On the other hand, if Bitcoin survives another year, the production will be halved to 25 BTC per block. Theoretically, that would a remove a huge selling force from the market.

Long term investments with Bitcoin are tricky. If you are considering putting effort and time into making this, you must understand that you are risking a lot. There are no guarantees of what will happen a year from now.

PS: Take this guy for example. That investment was what? $50000? He alone would get 25 high end boards if you were selling them in June.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 12:57:00 AM

Just a little bit of background on us. We are seasoned designers with long job histories with companies like IBM, Altera and others.
No, you're some anonymous person posting on an Internet forum. You have zero credibility.

Buy & Hold
indio007

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 03:41:57 AM

THIS ^^^^

Atleast until this alleged history is demonstrated conclusively.
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 04:16:01 AM

Let's assume that we "magically" build a product as described in the first post and offer it for sale at a price that was maybe 2x the cost to build. What kind of market do you think there would be for such a product? Are we talking the sale of 10's, 100's or 1000's or boards?  Does anyone have an opinion on that? Please include some of your reasonings, too.

I'd suggest contacting ztex who's already making and reselling a similar product:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40047.0
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2011, 04:16:12 AM

Based on everyone's reaction, it looks like this would sell itself.
No that means you need to troll harder.

Maybe ask these guys: http://unlimiteddetailtechnology.com/  Cheesy

That so called unlimited detail sounds like fractal compression. I would've thought though if the fractal approach was going that well we'd hear about it from other sources too though.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 09:26:41 AM

TeraMiner, why dont you just post a video of the board in action?
Sure you could fake the output, but an ordinary troll wouldnt bother.

As for how many youd sell; God knows. I dont think it would replace GPU mining overnight, GPU's are common as they serve other purposes, it that sense its also less risky as an investment.  You can buy and if needed, sell AMD gpu's with minimal loss of investement, Im not sure how much a market there is for second hand FPGA's if bitcoin comes crashing down.

Still, currenty the bitcoin network provides almost 15,000 GH/s. If youd manage to capture just 1% of that, you are looking at 100s of boards.

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 10:58:57 AM

Cost price: "High-End board achieves 3,000 MH/s @ 60W for $1,050"

That's about 1.5 bitcoins per day, or $7.20 minus the cost of electricity.  How much could such a board be sold for while ensuring a decent return for investors?  Maybe $2000.  That requires 9 months of hashing to pay back the purchase price, not including power and the PC the board would be connected to.  9 months before a single cent of profit is made.  Not too bad, but I can see why investors may be reluctant to put serious money into the project even if they believe the optimistic numbers.

The calculation of course is only based on current prices.  Some might say mine today and sell for a lot more than $4.80/btc next month or next year, but really no one knows how much a BTC may be worth.
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 03:16:28 PM

I call BS on these figures. If it looks too good to be true then it probably is  Roll Eyes
bcforum

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 04:30:30 PM

I did manage to get "large company" pricing on these parts because I do so much business with Xilinx.

And here's the problem. If you sell the design to someone else, they aren't going to get favorable pricing from Xilinx. Also, it is doubtful YOU can get favorable pricing from Xilinx as Teraminer, LLC.

Also, it sounds like you developed your product using resources from your primary employer.

If you found this post useful, feel free to share the wealth: 1E35gTBmJzPNJ3v72DX4wu4YtvHTWqNRbM
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: