Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:13:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FPGA Miner Design for Sale to Someone willing to Market It  (Read 8474 times)
TeraMiner (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 12:47:58 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2011, 10:10:28 PM by TeraMiner

A couple of engineers with day jobs have been working on an FPGA miner with the intention of creating a product that would change the mining equation. We formed a small company that we call TeraMiner. We've developed a hardware and software solution that raises the bar on mining performance while lowering power significantly. We have a prototype running in our homes today using an off-the-shelf FPGA development kit. As it turns out, we've become very busy in our day jobs and have decided that it would be best for us to see if anyone in the BitCoin community has the time to take this product to market. Here are the highlights of what a "productized" version of our design would look like.

• PCI Express connectivity for high density installation into industry standard servers
  • Entry-Level board achieves 750 MH/s @ 15W for $370.
  • High-End board achieves 3,000 MH/s @ 60W for $1,050.

These manufacturing numbers are based on actual pricing we secured from Xilinx for their Virtex-6 product line. Selling prices would certainly be higher, to whatever the market will bear. We have also negotiated future technology improvements and price reductions through 2012. Details of the major components used in this design will be provided to interested parties.

We are prepared to discuss the details with anyone interested in creating their own line of BitCoin mining products. The level of engagement may vary from simply providing the source code of our current IP all the way to the delivery of a production-ready prototype. The details of these deliverables and associated costs will be provided to those who contact us at teraminer.llc@gmail.com.

Keep in mind that we started this business with the intention of going to market with our own set of products. But now that our day jobs have become too demanding, we're just looking to pass our design on to someone prepared to take it to market. Please contact us at teraminer.llc@gmail.com for any further information.

Thanks for reading.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
eldentyrell_old

Activity: 30

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 01:45:45 AM

Entry-Level board achieves 750 MH/s @ 15W for $370

Sounds like your company's main asset is the ability to buy chips from Xilinx at an absurd discount.

You sure they'll let you "sell" that ability to somebody else?

If so, the buyer would make more money forgetting bitcoin and just make a killing reselling Xilinx parts via this deal.

- e
TeraMiner (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 01:52:40 AM

I do have many years of working with Xilinx in my day job. I have a commitment from them to sell enough chips to build 1.5 TH/s worth of boards. We also have a pretty optimized design that allows us to make the most of the Virtex-6 technology.

eldentyrell_old

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 02:02:26 AM

I do have many years of working with Xilinx in my day job.

So do I, and so do a lot of other people around here.

The only way your numbers add up is if (1) Xilinx is losing enormous amounts of money on you (if so, congratulations!) or (2) you have found some way around the laws of thermodynamics and the DC Switching Characteristics data sheet.

I call scam unless you match some Xilinx part numbers to those hashspeed claims.

- e

TeraMiner (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 02:42:46 AM

I can assure you that there is no scam here. I did manage to get "large company" pricing on these parts because I do so much business with Xilinx. The low pricing is really what made our design so promising. You must know that companies like Xilinx and Altera treat their component pricing as confidential information. While I feel comfortable listing the full BOM costs on this public forum, certain details need to be discussed more discretely. Also, I did spent several months designing and optimizing my own hash algorithm from scratch. I've been designing chips for over 20 years so I really enjoyed the challenge.

I understand that there will be doubters but we have a development kit already running (with a smaller version of the FPGA) and have ISE runs that show the target device will hit the stated performance. I don't mind if there are doubters as that reinforces the advantage this solution offers. If you have a serious interest in making a product out of this, go ahead and email me at teraminer.llc@gmail.com to arrange further talks. You might be surprised that we're just a few normal engineers who don't have the bandwidth to build a company around this cool product.

btcbaby

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 04:23:18 AM

I want one!

http://www.btclog.com/uploads/FileUpload/e6/9cc97eb4c91db1ec5fb30ca35f0da8.png
Write an excellent post on btc::log and you just might win 1BTC in our daily giveaway.
btc::log is the professionally managed and community moderated Bitcoin Forum
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 07:27:04 AM

I like the sound of the entry and higher end FPGA boards.Is there an academic discount for those? As I go to uni sometimes. Still a good price for the power use/performance.Can you ship to UK? I'm interested as long as the prices stay good and that they live up to the claims made on here.Are those boards multi-FPGAs that are also overclocked? Because the pricing seems rather too good to be true.1 of those FPGAs would the equivalent of several GPUs if I had several HD6950s all OC'd (the higher end board would be equivalent to several of those).

Amazing if true.What payments do you take?

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 08:01:40 AM

The only way your numbers add up is if (1) Xilinx is losing enormous amounts of money on you

Doubtful. I cant find precise die sizes anywhere, but looking at pictures from various Virtix 6 chips, Im guessing they range somewhere between <200mm and 500m2 (better estimates welcome). At 40nm they arent going to cost xilinx anywhere near those quoted prices to produce them. THe die size and process used match that of typical range from lowend to highend GPU's, and given the nature of FGPA's its almost certainly cheaper to produce them as GPUs (higher yields, due to redudancy, low power etc). List prices may be high, but thats just due to the relatively low volume and high fixed costs.

norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 10:53:39 AM

Sounds like a complete scam.
Only 7 posts and ridiculously exaggerated figures.

I'd stay well away from this guy.
sgravina

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 11:54:03 AM

Me and my wizard buddies have done the same thing.  We are very smart and we have some powerful magic that makes our price point even better.

We only have one board but it does 900 MH/s @ 10 Watts.  Our cost is only $29.95 per board, if we buy two or more.

We are looking for someone to market our boards because we don't like to work too hard.  Wizardry isn't about money anyway.

We can't share anymore details because we haven't made them up yet.  Just send us some money and we will help you put together a good marketing story.

Sam
worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 12:03:55 PM

It is possible to have huge discounts if there is volume, otherwise it is quite doubtful, maybe the OP can sell a few of their products, I don't mind paying a premium as I do understand that engineering samples cost quite a bit more.  I am willing to buy, test and give feedback here on the forum.
ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 12:06:32 PM

Piling on top of the "These guys are getting completely insane discounts from xilinx or this is BS" crowd.

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
xanadu

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 02:17:27 PM

Your numbers are so far out of line from what others have previously scoped out using the same hardware platform that I am dubious at best. The Carl Sagan quote "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" comes into play here.

Post some verifiable proof, then folks might actually consider investing.
Reckman

Activity: 711

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 02:36:58 PM

ill pay 3000 for the high end board =p
defxor

Activity: 530

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 02:45:27 PM

I go to uni sometimes. UK

You might want to re-read the OP with that UK university background in mind.

we're just looking to pass our design on to someone prepared to take it to market

I'd suggest contacting ztex who's already making and reselling a similar product:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40047.0
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 03:07:11 PM

i'd dump all my radeons right now if those figures are half right but some proof of existence would help

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 06:44:28 PM

Huh ... sniff, sniff.

eldentyrell_old

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 06:49:15 PM

The only way your numbers add up is if (1) Xilinx is losing enormous amounts of money on you
.... and high fixed costs.

Uh, yeah, that was my point.  If they sold parts to everybody at the price he claims to be getting, Xilinx would be losing enormous amounts of money.
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 07:19:20 PM

are any of the virtex 6 fpga's actually capable of this? i thought they might be using stuff from here but it's not even avlable yet http://www.achronix.com/

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 07:42:39 PM

Yup, 750Mh/s on a 240 is pretty easy. On a 195... tight. on a 130 or 75? Doubt it.

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: