Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:02:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get rid of emotions when trading  (Read 3867 times)
Omega Weapon

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 10:55:12 PM

For me it's just impossible, maybe I can just cut a small amount of my negative feeling, but not more...
If it is impossible for you to overcome your emotions when you are trading then it is a good idea that you never become a trader, and if you are, it could be a good idea to leave it, while this may seem like too much for some members of the forum the fact is that the ability to keep your cool under very difficult circumstances is what determines the winners from the losers in most aspects of life.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Genamant

Activity: 730
Merit: 102

Trphy.io

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 11:24:08 PM

Our brain is hardwired to go into a fight or flight mode under stress, resulting in emotional responses like greed (taking too large risks), anger, fear (panic-closing) or fear of missing out. While this is a good thing when fighting lions in the savannah, it is a horrible thing when trading, and you need to make smart decisions and keep to your plan to keep making profits.
This topic will focus on how to get rid of emotions while trading, or at least make the best decisions which are not based on emotional responses of our ape brain. So how can we achieve that?

1 with good preparation
2 with checklists
3 with process orientation
4 with active emotional detachment

Good preparation:
If you watch a Football game or a Boxing match usually the team or player wins that has done the better preparation. The same goes with trading. Accumulate knowledge about the subjects of trading as much as possible. Start with small amounts and small leverages until you really know what you are doing. Be consistent, create good habits early on and keep them up. Make sure that you are mentally fit, live healthy, eat well, sleep enough and regularly, and exercise enough. Have a schedule. Track your preparation, track your results and analyse them. What were mistakes you could avoid in the future?

Checklists:
When things go down and away, it is always good to have a checklist. For example: surgeons usually have checklists that prevent them to go off the rails while performing a complicated procedure. Their checklists makes it absolutely clear in which order they need to perform what step, which frees up mental brain power for the actual process. So from your past make checklists what made your trades profitable and focus on those kind of trades that have done well in your past.

Process Orientation:
With the checklist, we should be able to make good trades more often than not. All we need to do now is focus our metal brain power on the process and not on the outcome. As we have built enough expertise and a checklist that we follow, we focus on rules and our discipline, not on the outcome of a single trade, because as we all know one trade can always be good or bad, independent of how well it was thought out.

Active emotional detachment:
There is something called Tilt in Poker. Some players will actively try to insult players after bad beats to make the go tilt, or "emotional". This will result in very bad decision making. Maybe you remember Zinedine Zidane in his very last World Cup Game, head butting the italian player and getting sent of the pitch with a red card. The worst possible outcome. TILT.
If you still feel like you get emotional about trades, there are a few things you can do: Lowering your margins, lowering your leverage, take a break, breathing exercises, watch your favorite series or listen to music. Get a little distance to your trades, before continuing. NEVER trade on TILT.

How are you dealing with your emotions? Anything to add or to take away from this?

I agree, before you trade you have to make a plan on what to do. Emotions are very hard to deal with, specially when losing money. That's why it's better not to trade when you are not 100 focus and not have a backup plan.

micle222

Activity: 784
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 07, 2018, 04:33:02 AM

As strong as holding back emotions in trading can not be endured unless we do have to realize we do not get greedy in this Cryptocurrency trade.

Just like Cats who given fish 1, then when given a second fish must be the cat will eat it until his stomach hurts. We are human and Cryptocurrency can not be guessed, so hold up your emotions and always be grateful when luck in this Cryptocurrency trade.
miningguru

Activity: 1134
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 07, 2018, 04:40:31 AM

I think you would not be able to succeed in that, no human can not get rid of emotions even the professional players in poker, they're trying so hard, but sometimes they fail. Even those guys.

Yes, we cannot able to justify everything in minutes, so it is impossible to control the emotions and it will lead to losing. Even though they very good experience at trading we have to control our emotion in order to efficient in future trading.
LordDisick

Activity: 322
Merit: 105

View Profile
July 07, 2018, 12:43:32 PM

We can't really get rid of emotions because we are human beings and its a part that of us. But for me the best way to do is try to relax,chill a little bit and don't over think too much and don't risk everything. Keep calm,control your emotions.
Faxmate

Activity: 1071
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 07, 2018, 08:56:09 PM

We can't really get rid of emotions because we are human beings and its a part that of us. But for me the best way to do is try to relax,chill a little bit and don't over think too much and don't risk everything. Keep calm,control your emotions.
Yes in trading we have to deal everything wisely and slowly, because being in rush can pull all your profit to the loss, being a trader, it is good to keep your emotions and over thinking away, think positive in the negative situation of fallen price, it will be good if we will keep on buying even when the price will be almost zero. Well being emotional is natural but don’t let your emotions hold your trading and investing strategies.
recklessMe

Activity: 195
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 12:35:51 PM

Our brain is hardwired to go into a fight or flight mode under stress, resulting in emotional responses like greed (taking too large risks), anger, fear (panic-closing) or fear of missing out. While this is a good thing when fighting lions in the savannah, it is a horrible thing when trading, and you need to make smart decisions and keep to your plan to keep making profits.
This topic will focus on how to get rid of emotions while trading, or at least make the best decisions which are not based on emotional responses of our ape brain. So how can we achieve that?

1 with good preparation
2 with checklists

Good preparation:
If you watch a Football game or a Boxing match usually the team or player wins that has done the better preparation. The same goes with trading. Accumulate knowledge about the subjects of trading as much as possible. Start with small amounts and small leverages until you really know what you are doing. Be consistent, create good habits early on and keep them up. Make sure that you are mentally fit, live healthy, eat well, sleep enough and regularly, and exercise enough. Have a schedule. Track your preparation, track your results and analyse them. What were mistakes you could avoid in the future?

Checklists:
When things go down and away, it is always good to have a checklist. For example: surgeons usually have checklists that prevent them to go off the rails while performing a complicated procedure. Their checklists makes it absolutely clear in which order they need to perform what step, which frees up mental brain power for the actual process. So from your past make checklists what made your trades profitable and focus on those kind of trades that have done well in your past.

Process Orientation:
With the checklist, we should be able to make good trades more often than not. All we need to do now is focus our metal brain power on the process and not on the outcome. As we have built enough expertise and a checklist that we follow, we focus on rules and our discipline, not on the outcome of a single trade, because as we all know one trade can always be good or bad, independent of how well it was thought out.

There is something called Tilt in Poker. Some players will actively try to insult players after bad beats to make the go tilt, or "emotional". This will result in very bad decision making. Maybe you remember Zinedine Zidane in his very last World Cup Game, head butting the italian player and getting sent of the pitch with a red card. The worst possible outcome. TILT.
If you still feel like you get emotional about trades, there are a few things you can do: Lowering your margins, lowering your leverage, take a break, breathing exercises, watch your favorite series or listen to music. Get a little distance to your trades, before continuing. NEVER trade on TILT.

How are you dealing with your emotions? Anything to add or to take away from this?

I liked your analogy with 'fighting lions in the Savannah' Smiley Still... yes, we should control our emotions during trading, but worrying is a part of human nature. We can't eliminate that totally. We can only learn how to behave in one or other situations, or suppress our emotions for a while. At the same time it is quite possible to control ourselves. For example I only trade when I’m in a good mood and nothing bothers me, it increase chances that I’ll keep on being calm. 
coffigayo

Activity: 322
Merit: 12

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 02:56:21 PM

If I think emotions are very difficult to control. What else is in effect in trading as well. Maybe we need to know how to control it. I think the only way for us to not have emotions is to keep ourselves constantly looking at their Bitcoin or Altcoin prices. It is best to have a strategy.
Marcel666

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

The Premier Digital Asset Management Ecosystem

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 03:42:32 PM

Experience might be the best remedy.
After incurring losses due to emotions you might think it wise to ignore your nature (easier said than done)
You can also get a bot to do the trading for you.

||   ICONIQ HOLDING   ||
The Premier Digital Asset Management Ecosystem, Powered by the ICNQ Token
alizalela7

Activity: 182
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 04:13:42 PM

To get out of the shock before trading, you should breathe a deep breath as you should try to calm down and listen to what your mind tells you not to listen to personal inertia.
Morgann

Activity: 420
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 05:11:09 PM

To get rid of emotions when you are in trading, be ready for yourself whatever loss will happen, target the price you want to get in through, more learnings on the project you want to trading in.

We can't totally control such emotions cause we are humans unlike robots. The only thing we could do with that is to try and learn to be strong in times of crisis happen. And it is better to enjoy our self doing other stuffs and forget crypto for awhile to lessen stress coming from looking market trend continuously dropping.  

We can control our emotions we are the one who can do it, don't limit your mind in your beliefs because you can do more.  Emotions are always there in our mind what is need is practice who it can be controlled in much better handling for example our patient and temper. In trading emotions are the enemy of our skills.

I think we’ve all experienced panicking and and closing our trades into unfavorable markets. I get used to it as i trade almost everyday eventually i lost my emotions. I guess that's one thing how to get rid of our emotions. Well mostly new traders are emotional but you will get used to it as you trade actively.

In my own opinion, there is no way for a person to get rid of his emotions because if you are holding a huge amount of crypto and you saw the market price that is dumping then you feel bad and you might end up selling all your coins.
crypto_futurer

Activity: 134

View Profile
July 14, 2018, 06:58:44 PM

I think you forgot to add the easiest way to get rid of emotions.
  - Do not trade crypto currency when you are exposed to some kind of emotion. Do not even open the schedule.
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 15, 2018, 01:04:08 PM

I think you forgot to add the easiest way to get rid of emotions.
  - Do not trade crypto currency when you are exposed to some kind of emotion. Do not even open the schedule.

What do you mean exposed to some kind of emotion? Everyone is exposed to any emotion. You just have to develop a way so that your decisions won't rely on the emotions you're having at a certain time.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
Davido1174

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 17, 2018, 09:28:47 AM

This is a very good article and it is helping for putting a traders emotions in check. When trading , one has to get rid of emotions and make sure one has a trading plan that suits him for him to make profits consistently. Really helpful article I must say
Hammonds

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2018, 09:45:53 AM

No human is capable of removing / eliminating the emotion that is in his soul, because every human has the emotion to live his life.

Especially in Cryptocurrency that requires a lot of emotion than patience, may be in mix between patience and emotion to get the value of the profit that we want it.
logan16j

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 17, 2018, 10:11:46 AM

1 with good preparation
2 with checklists

Good preparation:

Checklists:

Process Orientation:

I believe that to be able to do that you need to spend a lot of time and experience a lot of failure to be able to ignore the emotions when dealing. With a constantly changing wall, greed and fear are the two biggest enemies that make us fail.

In order to minimize that you need to have a specific trading plan and follow them strictly.
lelahkenabanned

Activity: 329

View Profile
July 17, 2018, 11:25:16 AM

to be able to eliminate the emotions you have when trading should you trade in a relaxed and not easy to be affected with others who are in the chat room that will usually try to give effect to other traders.
margert

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 17, 2018, 01:47:38 PM

1 with good preparation
2 with checklists

Good preparation:

Checklists:

Process Orientation:

I think that in order to get rid of emotion in the transaction, it is very difficult, you can only control your emotions when you have experienced many failures and learn a lot of experience. Without a secret, you have to go through and find out for yourself.

I think that trading is a very boring job, you have to come up with rules for yourself and always follow them strictly.
bosimpson54

Activity: 271

View Profile
July 17, 2018, 02:21:55 PM

As long you are not  a robot you can not separate yourself from your emotion,  you can only grow up and take charge of your emotion by controlling it rather than allowing your emotion to control you.
You are not a robot and you can not control your emotions, in my opinion the best way is after buying your pennies, you should relax by playing games, hangout with your friends and don't forgot stoploss for your coin
gerald246kru

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 17, 2018, 02:46:09 PM

It's really hard to get rid of these things in trading. I, was once a victim of my own emotions in trading. It's so hard to fight back against it. But try to step by step lessen those things. That should help it.

Being emotional as one gets involved in trading is normal. But allowing such emotion to take over the decision-making is destructive. Hence, one has to think wisely to minimize getting too emotional negatively. Experience and learning in trade have a huge role on this.
I think altcoin increase or decrease concurrently with bitcoin rather than follow. Very rarely coin suddenly pump well, if there is only the price of whale. In my opinion, the main reason is that bitcoin prices are currently unstable and people are watching bitcoin to play altcoin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to: