Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:01:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we realy need NXT / Ripple ?  (Read 3149 times)
Bitventurer

Activity: 488
Merit: 250

S P 8 D E

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

who knows maybe satoshi might come back in some years and release Bitcoin 2.0

He already did. And called it "Nxt".

+1440

SP8DE - The Game of Chance. Changed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
extee

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 06:20:53 AM

First, I don't know what you mean by "newly created coins" as NXT isn't inflationary. The coins aren't generated from thin air - they come from fees.

Second, the seized funds from Silk Road haven't been taken out of circulation, the FBI is planning to sell them.

Third, a 51% attack isn't possible with NXT, an attacker would have to get like 90% of the coins, which seems impossible. It's more likely the government will build its own ASIC network to try and take over Bitcoin if you want to engage in those kind of theories.

Firstly... "newly created" and "generated" mean the same thing... you are just arguing semantics

Secondly.. seized funds.. yes they are taken out of circulation for a time. the FBI has control of them and has NOT sold them yet that is the point. If those coins were NXT the FBI holdings would be increasing in number without them having to do anything.

Thirdly.. 51% was talking about BITCOIN.... i said the concentration of coins is fundamentally is WORSE than a 51% attack in the context of NXT because the concentration acts like gravity attracting more coins. essentially those people who control the largest amount of coins control the entire market of not just existing coins but the creation of new coins.. this is very dangerous indeed. this is the fundamental flaw of any entirely PoS system.

you missed the point of my post completely due to lack of understanding both BTC and NXT.

sorry but you're totally clueless.

in bitcoin the more mining power you acquire the more coins you create the more fees rewards you get and on top of that the 51% issue
in Nxt the more stake you have the more fees rewards you get . PERIOD (nothing else)
stakes are pretty much virtual mining chips....but which only take care of transaction/fees.

and btw i think there's also a cap in place  above 1 million or something....where your chances of getting fees rewards don't increase past that (not sure thouigh)

in any case the total of coins are already allocated. it is just fees rewards (recycled coins spent in trasanction costs) . which let me tell you....it ain't that much of big business.

soon  pooled forging might be in the protocol (CfB said they was working on that)....so removing the chance/lottery thing which i don't like(with the big stakeholders currently having more chances as they hold more tickets)...so with pooled forging pretty much all tarnsactions fees would be redistributed with same % . so any wallet running a node would be like some saving account giving same % return to all.
so if i have 100 nxt after an year i might have 103 nxt.....and if someone has 1000 he would then have 1030....and so on.
you can even have a stakeholder with 80% of all nxt...and it won't ruin in any way the ecosystem for the the other 20%. he can't do shit apart from dumping on an exchnge and affecting the price.....same as a big bitcoin holder can do....but that only distributes the coins and ....that's what's been happening for the past 3 months....the big original stakeholders are becoming less and less and the coin is becoming ever more distributed. infact it is currently more evenly distributed than bitcoin. Smiley
relm9

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 06:56:41 AM

Thirdly.. 51% was talking about BITCOIN.... i said the concentration of coins is fundamentally is WORSE than a 51% attack in the context of NXT because the concentration acts like gravity attracting more coins. essentially those people who control the largest amount of coins control the entire market of not just existing coins but the creation of new coins.. this is very dangerous indeed. this is the fundamental flaw of any entirely PoS system.

you missed the point of my post completely due to lack of understanding both BTC and NXT.

Nope. Read up on how transparent forging works in NXT. I didn't miss your point, you claim someone will buy up a ton of coins and eventually control the entire supply through forging. I don't think this is possible unless, as I said, the attacker acquired over 90% of the coins. The fees generated from forging wouldn't be enough to increase their stake size to 90% if they had say 60, 70% of the coins, which already would be VERY hard to get.

Also, if the attacker misses his chance to create a block his forging power is penalized for that round and his fees would go to other stakeholders. So a possible attack would assume he is forging at all times and never misses a block (very  unlikely). In that sense even a 90%+ attack may not be successful.

That's why I said it's more realistic that the government or some entity would just build a massive ASIC network to take over Bitcoin. Much easier...
Ortegon

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 11:07:14 AM

I can't understand - is there a coin ripple as an independent coin and cryptocurrency, or it's just a platform to make p2p burse?
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 11:11:32 AM

I can't understand - is there a coin ripple as an independent coin and cryptocurrency, or it's just a platform to make p2p burse?
It is both:
XRP ("ripples") are the native unbacked currency that reside on the Ripple payment network/exchange.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Bluestreet
Legendary

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 11:13:15 AM

It's a massive scam, besides bitcoin and litecoin, I am looking into iCoin, just making sure the developer is legit.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 11:20:14 AM

Bitcoin was an amazing experiment that never fixed its flaws after 4 years of existence. It is eternity in crypto-currency.

The ponzi-mining-scheme is absurd and is going nowhere.

Nxt is one of the only crypto that have guts to face problems and provide solutions.

I will not talk about Ripple because it is not a crypto but a centralized IOU exchange, learn the difference please.
Ortegon

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 11:23:33 AM

It is both:
XRP ("ripples") are the native unbacked currency that reside on the Ripple payment network/exchange.

Thanks a lot!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: