Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:57:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Perspective about HODL.  (Read 3137 times)
ArkiCrypto (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 33

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 02:51:40 PM

What is HODL?
The very first time the term HODL appeared on the Bitcoin talk forum was in 2013 and came from a member named GameKyuubi under the thread “I AM HODLING”.
From the look of the post, he was drunk and wanted to convey the fact that he was holding his BTC despite the serious fall that had just happened.

Since then, this misspelled term became very popular in the Bitcoin and cryptocurrency world. Whenever a person says in a conversation that he/she is hodling or suggests to hodl, it means that they believe their coin will be profitable one day, if not today.

So basically, “HODL” was originally a typo which has now popularly earned the status of a humorous backronym:
HODL” – “Hold on for dear life”

Kwatwani, S. (2018, February 2). What is "HODL" in the Cryptocurrency World? + Must Know Cryptocurrency Terms [Web log post].
Retrieved from https://coinsutra.com/hodl-popular-cryptocurrency-terms/

So let's cut now the history of the term. Well I want to share to you my perspective about the HODL strategy, We were all a newbie once in everything like the cryptocurrency, trading, mining, investing, etc. Most of us chooses the path of being a trader either a full time/part time, day trading/long term holding.

Most of us experienced the markets bears and bulls and as a newbie we're seeking for a right answer and most of the answer we've got from different peoples, articles and videos online is the term "HODL" and they said that it is the best way to do whenever there's a bear market, is it the right thing to do?

At first I believe in that saying because I don't have any knowledge about cryptos but after being having an experience in this forum, trading and investing to ICO's I just realized that it's not always the best way or the best strategy in cryptocurrency industry, in my case whenever there's a bear market I am analyzing the market and there's a time that we need to cut our loses and study different cryptos in the market wherein we can take advantage and earn more rather than waiting for a long time until the market recovers.

Well, the only disadvantages I've seen so far is that if your analyzation  is wrong and you've invested to a wrong coin.

Just like what I've said not all the time HODL is the best, we should consider other strategies as well. This is all according to my own perspective and opinion, I would be glad if you will give yours  Smiley
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Crypto_Sassy

Activity: 169
Merit: 18

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 03:14:04 PM

Actually Before I comment on HODL or no HODL, I need to say it depends how you purchased the coin and at what price.
Suppose I purchase something at $100, it means I am confident on my research that its price is $100, if now market start trading at 90$ and my research still says it is good at $100, then I will HOLD. If I now come to some new facts that make me believe that it actual price $80. then I will sell at $90 at once.
illusioNiZt

Activity: 756
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2018, 03:37:19 PM

Interesting never knew its short form of “Hold on for dear life” lol, how are you so sure about the post screenshot though? good information.

keycellko

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 03:48:25 PM

Well there's nothing wrong with hodling because we know market will recover. but yes the thought of waiting for the market to recover is nonsense when we can exchange it with a coin that has potential to increase realtime or in a shorter period. Hodling is ideal only if you are a busy person and don't have time to check the market every now and then and you choose to let your coin sit for long.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 03:51:46 PM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

Interesting never knew its short form of “Hold on for dear life” lol, how are you so sure about the post screenshot though? good information.

HODL doesn't originally have a meaning, as said in this post: it's was just a typo. The acronym was just made because the slang term HODL became so famous.

With that said, I still cringe whenever I read the term HODL. Not to mention hearing it on live television. Yikes.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
ikilledcobain

Activity: 446
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 03:56:40 PM

I suppose if you're a good trader, then hodl makes less sense as you can make money if the market's down or up. That being said, it's important to know your own limitations. My trading attempts have gone rather poorly, so hodl it is.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
Anonymous and Untraceable
ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord 

▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
MommyElsa

Activity: 387
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 04:04:58 PM

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. Actually I thought HODL is a mistyped word. Now I know its a crypto meme or slang word. By the way I do HODL a lot of different coins. How I wish somebody creates a coin called "HODL" lols.

🥤🧊🥤🧊        ONLINE SOCIAL COMMUNICATION & DATING APK         🧊🥤🧊🥤
jmvzlfyg

Activity: 174
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 04:05:42 PM

If you don't know about the projects you invest in, then HODL's strategy is unwise, especially some high risk altcoin, which is likely to keep you out of everything.
cardo

Activity: 65

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 04:06:23 PM

Wow, Well the "Hodl" term using by many holders was originally have a History here in forum and I never knew that and this is interesting, when I was newbie in crypto I have a Question in my mind that why many crypto enthusiast always said the word Hodl I was thought that they didn't notice that wrong spelling but actually they're not wrong and that's the tradition by many holders.
BQ

Activity: 616
Merit: 53

CoinMetro - the future of exchanges

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 04:07:43 PM

HODL doesn't originally have a meaning, as said in this post: it's was just a typo. The acronym was just made because the slang term HODL became so famous.

With that said, I still cringe whenever I read the term HODL. Not to mention hearing it on live television. Yikes.

It's good to see I'm not alone with this feeling, I've never heard it on television but seeing sites like etherscan adding "TOP 100 HODLers" just drags down the 'professional' feeling.
'hodl' has become a very forced saying.

5 EUR free crypto on signup! XCM exchange token ⚜⚜⚜  CoinMetro - Copy Trading - Margin - 0% maker fee  ⚜⚜⚜ - generate €500 volume in July for a chance to win €100!
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2145

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 04:25:25 PM

Hodling is just another term for long-term investing, and with long-term investing you should be 100% sure that you are making the right choice. If you don't do extensive and intelligent research (reading a few articles and discussions doesn't count), you are not investing, you are gambling, and the odds are really bad, because most altcoins are doomed in the long run, the world doesn't need thousands of coins, most users won't use more than 1-3 coins. Also most of those projects are some sort of a scam where no promises will ever be delivered. So, for newbies the simplest and most effective thing is to hodl Bitcoin, since it's 100% not a scam and it has the smallest chance to fail because it has the best developers in the world.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 04:34:19 PM

It's good to see I'm not alone with this feeling, I've never heard it on television but seeing sites like etherscan adding "TOP 100 HODLers" just drags down the 'professional' feeling.

It will soon become a term listed in all English dictionaries, probably together with FODL. I don't really mind if things don't look that professional when it concerns explorers since they don't represent an official entity providing a paid service. On top of that, I don't think etherscan looks all that bad, but preferences can differ of course. Nowadays everyone that managed to not move his coins for two days tends to call itself a hodler, which is probably a bit more frustrating, especially so with how the mainstream media then reports about hodlers losing confidence, while in reality it only concerns a bunch of noobs.
isidrorex

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 05:10:31 PM

In my opinion, HODL are for those people who are not yet confident about their trading skills and knowledge. HODL is good if you want to be a safe investor where you can't have any regrets if ever you lose in your trade transaction, but I believe that being able to be a cryptocurrency trader can bring you more profit thats why you have to study and learn more about Cryptotrading strategies and technical analysis.
BQ

Activity: 616
Merit: 53

CoinMetro - the future of exchanges

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 03:15:58 AM

It will soon become a term listed in all English dictionaries, probably together with FODL. I don't really mind if things don't look that professional when it concerns explorers since they don't represent an official entity providing a paid service. On top of that, I don't think etherscan looks all that bad, but preferences can differ of course. Nowadays everyone that managed to not move his coins for two days tends to call itself a hodler, which is probably a bit more frustrating, especially so with how the mainstream media then reports about hodlers losing confidence, while in reality it only concerns a bunch of noobs.

what you say about explorers - sure, it's fine, I can agree with that.
but it's more the general - Why do it in the first place? Not only etherscan, lets say media.
What is the gain to be using these "trendy" words? does it make people interested, somehow they feel they're part of some   "crypto culture" if the media says "hodl"?
do they think it'll be talked of more on the internet?

I just fail to see why, well, honestly Any serious project at all, would choose to conform to a temporary trend in their  'content'.
Of course, if it's like a clothing trend and it's a clothing company, that's different.
but any serious news channel using 'current trends' makes the value drop in my opinion.

it's like that silly restaurant  meme video where some guy is eating a burger and says "something - like a boss"
the marketing team thinks they're hip and all but it's just pathetic.

a bit of a ramble, I'm not trying to convince you to think otherwise, I just fail to understand how anyone could find anything More interesting just because they're using trendy words.

5 EUR free crypto on signup! XCM exchange token ⚜⚜⚜  CoinMetro - Copy Trading - Margin - 0% maker fee  ⚜⚜⚜ - generate €500 volume in July for a chance to win €100!
datnguyen0912

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 02:21:36 AM

My point is that once you have invested, you must find out what the coin is before you want to HOLD  Roll Eyes
ejswift

Activity: 253
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 02:23:48 AM

What is HODL?
The very first time the term HODL appeared on the Bitcoin talk forum was in 2013 and came from a member named GameKyuubi under the thread “I AM HODLING”.
From the look of the post, he was drunk and wanted to convey the fact that he was holding his BTC despite the serious fall that had just happened.

Since then, this misspelled term became very popular in the Bitcoin and cryptocurrency world. Whenever a person says in a conversation that he/she is hodling or suggests to hodl, it means that they believe their coin will be profitable one day, if not today.

So basically, “HODL” was originally a typo which has now popularly earned the status of a humorous backronym:
HODL” – “Hold on for dear life”

Kwatwani, S. (2018, February 2). What is "HODL" in the Cryptocurrency World? + Must Know Cryptocurrency Terms [Web log post].
Retrieved from https://coinsutra.com/hodl-popular-cryptocurrency-terms/

So let's cut now the history of the term. Well I want to share to you my perspective about the HODL strategy, We were all a newbie once in everything like the cryptocurrency, trading, mining, investing, etc. Most of us chooses the path of being a trader either a full time/part time, day trading/long term holding.

Most of us experienced the markets bears and bulls and as a newbie we're seeking for a right answer and most of the answer we've got from different peoples, articles and videos online is the term "HODL" and they said that it is the best way to do whenever there's a bear market, is it the right thing to do?

At first I believe in that saying because I don't have any knowledge about cryptos but after being having an experience in this forum, trading and investing to ICO's I just realized that it's not always the best way or the best strategy in cryptocurrency industry, in my case whenever there's a bear market I am analyzing the market and there's a time that we need to cut our loses and study different cryptos in the market wherein we can take advantage and earn more rather than waiting for a long time until the market recovers.

Well, the only disadvantages I've seen so far is that if your analyzation  is wrong and you've invested to a wrong coin.

Just like what I've said not all the time HODL is the best, we should consider other strategies as well. This is all according to my own perspective and opinion, I would be glad if you will give yours  Smiley

is the hodl means hold? Why the letter l is inthe last of the word? Well its fone but we knowthat this is the one of the reason why we get profit

Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2018, 02:49:25 AM

Bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency is a payment system at its core and we should give first priority to use it as a payment system instead of looking to earn from the speculation activities. Bitcoin is valuable today just because the early adopters decided to use their Bitcoins as a payment system instead of holding their funds. As of now I am trying to spend at least 50% of my funds and hold rest of the 50% funds to balance my activities in the crypto sector.
tunapa

Activity: 667
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 09:10:17 AM

Everyone needs to master a strategy that is best for him/her. Hodl is good and requires maximum patience to be able to profit with it, otherwise you will be forced to sell at loss at a dip market. So I prefer to trade , sell high, but low and repeat it.
estupido

Activity: 90

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 09:46:18 AM

HODL is indeed the best way to invest this coin, because bitcoin is not stale even if it is stored long it will not rot so I think there is no problem with the current price
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 09:48:08 AM

bitcoin has always been the long term game

the whales will always squeeze the life out of investors in short term but things will always look up in the long term after they are done accumulating bitcoin and filling their pockets with cheap coins of the newbies.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: