Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:36:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Perspective about HODL.  (Read 3137 times)
expertinfo888

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 10:57:50 PM

So far, HODLing has proven to be a good investment strategy with bitcoin and most altcoins. Hopefully it will continue to do so. I'm sure it will with some, but obviously not all.

But certainly the word HODL isn't going anywhere. The word was even used on the US senate:

https://www.docryptocurrency.com/hodl-meaning-bitcoin-slang/

I wonder if GameKyuubi ever imagined that!
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
xuan87
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 11:05:59 PM

Yes, holding can be one of the strategy to make profit in the hard time, holding maybe is the easiest way to make profit when you don't have any knowledge about trading, but still when you hold you need to keep on checking the price, some of the coins need long term to enjoy the result, so holding is not a bad strategy

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░
░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░░
░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████░██████░
░░░░░░░██████░░░░░█░░░░░████████░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░░███░░░████░░███░██████░
░░░░░░░███████░░██░██░████░░███░░█████░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░██░░█░███░░███░░██████░░
░░░░░░░░░███████░██░█░█░░░███░░██████░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░███░░░███░░░█████░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░██░░████░░░░░░██░░░██████░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░████░░░░░██████░░░█████░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░███░░░█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░██████░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▂▂ ▃▃ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ TeraWATT █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▃▃ ▂▂
Global LED Adoption Through Blockchain Technology
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒『ICO IS LIVE』≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
WEBSITE』『WHITEPAPER
≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒≒
TWITTER』『TELEGRAM
Cofee.BLUE

Activity: 546
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 11:14:58 PM

What is HODL?
The very first time the term HODL appeared on the Bitcoin talk forum was in 2013 and came from a member named GameKyuubi under the thread “I AM HODLING”.
From the look of the post, he was drunk and wanted to convey the fact that he was holding his BTC despite the serious fall that had just happened.

Since then, this misspelled term became very popular in the Bitcoin and cryptocurrency world. Whenever a person says in a conversation that he/she is hodling or suggests to hodl, it means that they believe their coin will be profitable one day, if not today.

So basically, “HODL” was originally a typo which has now popularly earned the status of a humorous backronym:
HODL” – “Hold on for dear life”

Kwatwani, S. (2018, February 2). What is "HODL" in the Cryptocurrency World? + Must Know Cryptocurrency Terms [Web log post].
Retrieved from https://coinsutra.com/hodl-popular-cryptocurrency-terms/

So let's cut now the history of the term. Well I want to share to you my perspective about the HODL strategy, We were all a newbie once in everything like the cryptocurrency, trading, mining, investing, etc. Most of us chooses the path of being a trader either a full time/part time, day trading/long term holding.

Most of us experienced the markets bears and bulls and as a newbie we're seeking for a right answer and most of the answer we've got from different peoples, articles and videos online is the term "HODL" and they said that it is the best way to do whenever there's a bear market, is it the right thing to do?

At first I believe in that saying because I don't have any knowledge about cryptos but after being having an experience in this forum, trading and investing to ICO's I just realized that it's not always the best way or the best strategy in cryptocurrency industry, in my case whenever there's a bear market I am analyzing the market and there's a time that we need to cut our loses and study different cryptos in the market wherein we can take advantage and earn more rather than waiting for a long time until the market recovers.

Well, the only disadvantages I've seen so far is that if your analyzation  is wrong and you've invested to a wrong coin.

Just like what I've said not all the time HODL is the best, we should consider other strategies as well. This is all according to my own perspective and opinion, I would be glad if you will give yours  Smiley

Definitely in trading we need to be much wiser and smarter because this is a very risky investment so we need to have also a present of mind and be always  active and alert on the movements in the market. Actually, hodling is one of considering better strategy of some investors specially when experiencing dump situations. But I'll really agree in your thoughts and ideas that not all the time is we need to hodl and maybe there is another and the best way to do than to waiting and still hodl. Right and better strategies are we needed so we can be much successful in the near future.
Johnyz

Activity: 2086
Merit: 193

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 11:18:10 PM

Yes, holding can be one of the strategy to make profit in the hard time, holding maybe is the easiest way to make profit when you don't have any knowledge about trading, but still when you hold you need to keep on checking the price, some of the coins need long term to enjoy the result, so holding is not a bad strategy
Holding is really advisable to those who don't know how to trade well in order for them to secure their money and make profit in the long run. But since a lot of newbies are thinking about easy money, they still trade even at zero knowledge. Holding with great coins will surely more profitable than trading without experience, don't take too much risk know how to hold.
weiweianll

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 11:32:51 PM

Long-term investment in quality assets is still the only reliable investment strategy. HODL is useful.
The value of Bitcoin is now seriously underestimated and will surely rise in the future!
maxreish

Activity: 1330
Merit: 326

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 12:23:09 AM

Already read that root world hodl before and the second time i have read it, i still laugh about it. But anyway, some telegr group advises us to still trade some coins even if it is really in a bear mode. Buy in lowest price but sell in lower price. For example, it is quote disappointmemt that i bought $12 for eos amd it goes down $8. So why don't we buy eos for $8 and sel it for $8.5? Small profits but still gaining.

But for that more potentially coins, i still go for HODLING than taking a risk for trading. Whales are still manipulating the market though, i must say that trading in this red matket is really dangerous and quite risky.
CODE200

Activity: 1442
Merit: 308

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 01:19:55 AM

Hodling strategy are really considered as a better action that we can do especially when we are in a long period of downfall. This strategy are always use by a huge of successful investors because it is very worth it to do. However, different persons are usually have a different beliefs, ideas and strategies. We in ourselves must know what is the best for us so in the end of the day we are the only person that will be decide for ourself.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
KingScorpio

Activity: 1470
Merit: 325

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2018, 02:12:35 AM

What is HODL?
The very first time the term HODL appeared on the Bitcoin talk forum was in 2013 and came from a member named GameKyuubi under the thread “I AM HODLING”.
From the look of the post, he was drunk and wanted to convey the fact that he was holding his BTC despite the serious fall that had just happened.

Since then, this misspelled term became very popular in the Bitcoin and cryptocurrency world. Whenever a person says in a conversation that he/she is hodling or suggests to hodl, it means that they believe their coin will be profitable one day, if not today.

So basically, “HODL” was originally a typo which has now popularly earned the status of a humorous backronym:

Kwatwani, S. (2018, February 2). What is "HODL" in the Cryptocurrency World? + Must Know Cryptocurrency Terms [Web log post].

So let's cut now the history of the term. Well I want to share to you my perspective about the HODL strategy, We were all a newbie once in everything like the cryptocurrency, trading, mining, investing, etc. Most of us chooses the path of being a trader either a full time/part time, day trading/long term holding.

Most of us experienced the markets bears and bulls and as a newbie we're seeking for a right answer and most of the answer we've got from different peoples, articles and videos online is the term "HODL" and they said that it is the best way to do whenever there's a bear market, is it the right thing to do?

At first I believe in that saying because I don't have any knowledge about cryptos but after being having an experience in this forum, trading and investing to ICO's I just realized that it's not always the best way or the best strategy in cryptocurrency industry, in my case whenever there's a bear market I am analyzing the market and there's a time that we need to cut our loses and study different cryptos in the market wherein we can take advantage and earn more rather than waiting for a long time until the market recovers.

Well, the only disadvantages I've seen so far is that if your analyzation  is wrong and you've invested to a wrong coin.

Just like what I've said not all the time HODL is the best, we should consider other strategies as well. This is all according to my own perspective and opinion, I would be glad if you will give yours  Smiley

hodl is for those that bought cryptos they are supposed to pretend to have something valuable to others, so the word is used to make them do a certain social meme,

hodl also ends up with many being left with worthless cryptocurrencies, so called hodl till death,

Yaunfitda

Activity: 2842
Merit: 575

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 02:26:06 AM

Bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency is a payment system at its core and we should give first priority to use it as a payment system instead of looking to earn from the speculation activities. Bitcoin is valuable today just because the early adopters decided to use their Bitcoins as a payment system instead of holding their funds. As of now I am trying to spend at least 50% of my funds and hold rest of the 50% funds to balance my activities in the crypto sector.

Yes, bitcoin was meant to be a payment system, however, it evolved become a mode of investment for almost all of us that's why the term HODL suddenly pop out and now its part of our history. And I do agree that Holding has its advantages specially for those who doesn't want to trade. But I do believed that this method is best maximize when the price is really low maybe around 2011 and just hold and do nothing up until we made a significant run to almost $20K last year. But today, I don't think that it will give you that amount because the price keeps on fluctuating so for me holding is not the best strategy at this market situation.

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
Aponkye1

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2018, 10:39:22 AM

Thanks for your information  on HODL i also never knew its real meaning that it meant hold on for dear life but i also know that it means you buy coins when it dips and wait for it to increase so that you can sell at a higher price and earn your profits.

Corelianer

Activity: 309
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 08:38:35 AM

the current market situation will teach everyone this strategy. regardless of their wishes)
MNDan

Activity: 287
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 08:55:02 AM

What is HODL?
Ha-ha, I've seen that post already, it is so hilarious. Yesterday I saw an advertisement on our local internet channel, and they were saying that one on the opportunities available at cryptocurrency is HODL, rofl  Grin Grin
KenyonCarter

Activity: 173

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 09:53:56 PM

What is HODL?

https://i.imgur.com/amWNapD.png

Okay lol, HODL is hold on for dear life. The basic concept is to hold our money and wait for the right time to sell it. Some people do not wait at all and sell as soon as price rises or is falling. Till you are holding, you can invest in undervalued coins like EOS and PRG which are expected to rise soon after their new projects.
White Christmas

Activity: 882
Merit: 258

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 09:58:05 PM

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. Actually I thought HODL is a mistyped word. Now I know its a crypto meme or slang word. By the way I do HODL a lot of different coins. How I wish somebody creates a coin called "HODL" lols.
Same, the first time I read that word, i though it was a misspelled but when I saw mamy people was using it, it makes my mind get curious of what that does really means. And now thanks for elaborating more about that word. Well its not that far to the meaning that Im thinking before.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
furry04

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 10:02:30 PM

The history of the word HODL seems interesting. I also think that sometimes holding can make more loses than profits, for example in the recent bull run I was a holder and didn`t sell my coins and now I regret it every day, now I could buy my coins in 6x loss.
Crafts12

Activity: 405
Merit: 105

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 10:03:53 PM

I suppose if you're a good trader, then hodl makes less sense as you can make money if the market's down or up. That being said, it's important to know your own limitations. My trading attempts have gone rather poorly, so hodl it is.
Yes I think so also, I guess they just used HODL to say also like "just wait". At first I didnt really know what the meaning of it but thanks for your info. Ypu can still reqlly earn profit without knowing that word because you know when to buy and sell your token by observing its value in the market.

raidarksword

Activity: 2044
Merit: 16

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2018, 10:09:27 PM

Good read you got there and nice effort of digging that info way back from 2013.  Cheesy I google it once that HODL actually mean Hold On your Dear Life as if you are literally securing your life in your crypto assets especially in time of crisis and everything has fallen to the ground and yet at the end of the day still holding up. In today's market this term actually we all need right now, keep holding until the price go back up again.

Punit kumar

Activity: 63

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 10:09:55 PM

HODLing or Holding doesn' talways works. For example, at the moment I am holding dew good coins which everyone woukd agree but still I'm in loss because of Holding them. If I had not held them, I could buy them now at 3x cheaper price. Holding worked for those who held their coins from before 2017 and it rewarded them generously in 2017 but now I don't think its working anymore.
tegarp90

Activity: 546

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 10:14:24 PM

What is HODL?

For me, HODL is not looking at the market anymore for a long time and we just make an alarm in our target price to a price check application in our smartphone.
And hoping the alarm ringing to sell our coins XD
Bitman73

Activity: 39

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 10:20:20 PM

When I first got into Crypto HODL'ing was said to be the correct theory and way of doing things but i've learnt simply hodling means you miss so much opportunity for profit by being over greedy. You could have bought BTC at $4k and hodl'ed all the way today to $6k, missing out on $16k profit.

I now have 2 methods to live by

1. Never get greedy and take a profit when you can
2. Never be afraid to cut your losses if you feel market sentiment is against you. I bought ARDR at $0.80c and sold at $0.60, given the start of the bear trend... now it's what? 18 cents?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: