Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:19:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Perspective about HODL.  (Read 3137 times)
Baimovic

Activity: 1210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 10:22:55 PM

hodl is one of the strategies undertaken by a trader, or investor, or anyone who has crypto when the market is bearish.

I think when someone wants to invest in altcoin, he will analyze the market first, so he will not choose the wrong altcoin. unless he does not understand the crypto analytics strategy.

you are right, hodl does not always have a good role, especially for some bounty hunters, hodl will kill him, when he holds for a very long time. but if he gets good altcoin, he will get the profit.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
spiker777

Activity: 997
Merit: 279

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2018, 10:25:59 PM

In my opinion I actually think that the hold mentality is damaging for Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in general. For one, it promotes artificial scarcity, which leads to dump phases when people reach their stop limit, and doesn't help at all with making cryptocurrency mainstream. The hodl mentality is only for people who really don't believe in the true long term potential of cryptocurrency, and are just waiting for a suitable exit point so they can continue on with fiat currency, without ever looking back.

MilesEldwin

Activity: 162
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 11:14:10 PM

What is HODL?
The very first time the term HODL appeared on the Bitcoin talk forum was in 2013 and came from a member named GameKyuubi under the thread “I AM HODLING”.
From the look of the post, he was drunk and wanted to convey the fact that he was holding his BTC despite the serious fall that had just happened.

https://i.imgur.com/amWNapD.png

Since then, this misspelled term became very popular in the Bitcoin and cryptocurrency world. Whenever a person says in a conversation that he/she is hodling or suggests to hodl, it means that they believe their coin will be profitable one day, if not today.

So basically, “HODL” was originally a typo which has now popularly earned the status of a humorous backronym:
HODL” – “Hold on for dear life”

Kwatwani, S. (2018, February 2). What is "HODL" in the Cryptocurrency World? + Must Know Cryptocurrency Terms [Web log post].
Retrieved from https://coinsutra.com/hodl-popular-cryptocurrency-terms/

So let's cut now the history of the term. Well I want to share to you my perspective about the HODL strategy, We were all a newbie once in everything like the cryptocurrency, trading, mining, investing, etc. Most of us chooses the path of being a trader either a full time/part time, day trading/long term holding.

Most of us experienced the markets bears and bulls and as a newbie we're seeking for a right answer and most of the answer we've got from different peoples, articles and videos online is the term "HODL" and they said that it is the best way to do whenever there's a bear market, is it the right thing to do?

At first I believe in that saying because I don't have any knowledge about cryptos but after being having an experience in this forum, trading and investing to ICO's I just realized that it's not always the best way or the best strategy in cryptocurrency industry, in my case whenever there's a bear market I am analyzing the market and there's a time that we need to cut our loses and study different cryptos in the market wherein we can take advantage and earn more rather than waiting for a long time until the market recovers.

Well, the only disadvantages I've seen so far is that if your analyzation  is wrong and you've invested to a wrong coin.

Just like what I've said not all the time HODL is the best, we should consider other strategies as well. This is all according to my own perspective and opinion, I would be glad if you will give yours  Smiley

HODL is now an old concept. I think investors now do what they want to do. In case of a state where I have to hold on some coins, I invest in coins like TAU, ICX etc which I know shall be giving great gains in future. TAU is soon going to be listed on binance exchange and will definitely rise.
makatia

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 05:02:04 AM

Hold the right view of you, you will be glad about that, right if you hold
tanjilrifat

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 04:27:28 PM

I still laugh about it. But anyway, some telegr group advises us to still trade some coins even if it is really in a bear mode.The hodl mentality is only for people who really don't believe in the true long term potential of cryptocurrency.
A Feeder

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 15, 2018, 04:30:51 PM

My perspective about HODL its a crypto meme or slang word in the beginning I though HODL is mistype but after few days and months I realized that i'm wrong. HODL-“Hold on for dear life”, its good and requires maximum patience to be able to profit with it, otherwise you will be forced to sell at loss at a dip market.
Svetlya4ok

Activity: 57
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 10:01:58 AM
Merited by foserfox (1)

HODL is a memo that appeared due to a typo in the post on the Bitcointalk.org forum as early as the end of 2013, when the bitcoin price collapsed amid tightening regulation in China.  In the post there was talk about the advantages of long-term investment in bitcoin before intraday trading.  But then the word HODL turned into a common expression describing the owners of bitcoins who are ready to hold on to their crypto currency almost in any market conditions.  Hodgers are not going to part with their crypto currency, even when the price is falling by 25% per day or 50% - per month.  In fact, they buy dips.
 The Chodlers have built their faith in the use of bitcoin as a means of saving up to the level of religion.  Some do this for political reasons (they would prefer the world to use bitcoin as the money, rather than a dollar or another currency), others simply hope to make use of the benefits that bitcoin will bring in the future as a popular form of money.
 In short, the crocheters do not get rid of bitcoin, because they believe in it as in digital gold.  They understand the value of unregulated electronic money in the world, increasingly dependent on the Internet.  The key problem is that it is difficult to detect trailers in the transaction chain.  It is unclear whether someone is a real tractor until he has experienced one or two panic sales.  Co-founder FundStrat Tom Lee tracks the common database of bitcoin users, using a combination of the total number of bitcoins and purses and the average volume of transactions in dollars between these purses.  But again, not all users of bitcoin are long-term investors.
 Of course, there is last year's study of LendEDU, according to which the average bitcoin holders would be willing to sell it for about $ 200,000 for bitcoin.  But again, they can not be equated with trailers.  Perhaps, many of the survey participants sold their bitcoins during one of the sharp price crashes noted in the last month.  As a rule, it is the attitude to sharp price reductions that separates just long-term investors and true trailers.  Every short-term take-off of bitcoin's price draws attention to this asset, and newcomers can also turn into brokers.  Perhaps those who believe in the future potential of bitcoin should not look for data that would help predict intraday price movements of bitcoin, but heed the advice from the 2013 forum and just keep the asset in spite of everything.
Myown55

Activity: 105

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 10:13:07 AM

HAhahahaaaa! Life is an interesting journey. A post from a from a drunk person means a whole lot now. Thanks for  enlightening us. I only knew how it meant to HODL but did not even know the full meaning.....l ;Dl

✪GoWithMi - Mapping the World on Blockchain✪  
◉ http://gowithmi.com/◎☛https://twitter.com/GoWithMi_GL☚◎https://t.me/gowithmi_en ◉
carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 10:52:07 AM

Actually i dont care about the misspelling of the word HOLD TO HODL because what’s important is the perspective of individuals who uses that

And for me i am HOLDING because i trust bitcoin and some altcoins and tokens thats sitting in my portfolio,and hated those stupid account that shouting HODL but in reality knows nothing about what he’s shouting for
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1208

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 10:53:30 AM
Last edit: September 22, 2018, 11:11:34 AM by Mpamaegbu

HODL doesn't originally have a meaning, as said in this post: it's was just a typo. The acronym was just made because the slang term HODL became so famous.
Obviously, the typo makes the word have a distinct appeal. Anyone seeing or using HODL knows it's the register specific for cryptocurrency. For me, that sounds better than the "Hold" original. I guess the originator's drunkenness and frustration over GF visiting the lesbian clique that night has served as much as the 10,000 btc for pizza guy.

With that said, I still cringe whenever I read the term HODL. Not to mention hearing it on live television. Yikes.
I don't see why that word should repulse you or anyone at that. After all, most English words didn't originate from England. Some were distortions of French and Latin derivations.

Anyway, each to their own design. I think hodling should be embarked on when necessary, and not just for the sake of keeping a crypto which may be seeing the early days of its dump.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
LDenis555

Activity: 317

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 10:56:53 AM

What is HODL?
The very first time the term HODL appeared on the Bitcoin talk forum was in 2013 and came from a member named GameKyuubi under the thread “I AM HODLING”.
From the look of the post, he was drunk and wanted to convey the fact that he was holding his BTC despite the serious fall that had just happened.

Since then, this misspelled term became very popular in the Bitcoin and cryptocurrency world. Whenever a person says in a conversation that he/she is hodling or suggests to hodl, it means that they believe their coin will be profitable one day, if not today.

So basically, “HODL” was originally a typo which has now popularly earned the status of a humorous backronym:

Kwatwani, S. (2018, February 2). What is "HODL" in the Cryptocurrency World? + Must Know Cryptocurrency Terms [Web log post].

So let's cut now the history of the term. Well I want to share to you my perspective about the HODL strategy, We were all a newbie once in everything like the cryptocurrency, trading, mining, investing, etc. Most of us chooses the path of being a trader either a full time/part time, day trading/long term holding.

Most of us experienced the markets bears and bulls and as a newbie we're seeking for a right answer and most of the answer we've got from different peoples, articles and videos online is the term "HODL" and they said that it is the best way to do whenever there's a bear market, is it the right thing to do?

At first I believe in that saying because I don't have any knowledge about cryptos but after being having an experience in this forum, trading and investing to ICO's I just realized that it's not always the best way or the best strategy in cryptocurrency industry, in my case whenever there's a bear market I am analyzing the market and there's a time that we need to cut our loses and study different cryptos in the market wherein we can take advantage and earn more rather than waiting for a long time until the market recovers.

Well, the only disadvantages I've seen so far is that if your analyzation  is wrong and you've invested to a wrong coin.

Just like what I've said not all the time HODL is the best, we should consider other strategies as well. This is all according to my own perspective and opinion, I would be glad if you will give yours  Smiley

This can be a very promising solution, but just the same this decision needs to be able to act, and this is not so easy as it seemed, you need to be able to improvise already in business.
John Trevor

Activity: 27

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 11:00:57 AM

I think it all comes down to the objective of our trading, whether we have the time to actually keep scanning the market at every interval to look out for new spheres of profit or if we want to buy and hold for a time period by which there should be some profits.
Nanagyasi

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 11:19:48 AM

I guess this is the most interesting i have ever read on this forum. Very interesting.
Hodling to me depends sorely on the individual. One can switch between coins during bear markets to reduce loss if the individual has enough knowledge in trading. Hodling is the simple and best method for inexperience individuals.

znation

Activity: 188

View Profile
September 22, 2018, 11:36:18 AM

HOLD does not make a profit in the short term, when you have not thoroughly studied the bad coin that holds it, it is a mistake. If you have the knowledge to hold a good coin in the long term then the result later. will be about you.
watchurstep45

Activity: 300

View Profile
September 29, 2018, 08:23:03 AM

What is HODL?

I think it depends on the coin or token that holds because not all the tokens need to be handled because there is also another token that whenever you touch it will not increase because dead tokens should be sure that your touch token is my possibility which will increase you to sell it in the correct month or day when the market price increases.
muchachita14

Activity: 79
Merit: 5

View Profile
September 29, 2018, 08:26:43 AM

Since I started investing in Crypto in January, all I do is watch the charts non-stop. I don't even have a big investment by many people's standards but I treat a $20 trade like it's 20k. I have seen people say that if they had just invested in crypto and then applied the HODL practice, they'd have made more money than with all of their day trading or swing trading. Which is probably true for many people. I invest and HODL on most things but I keep a float of a few hundred bucks worth of ETH purely for playing on the exchanges and seeing if I can grab a few extra points of ETH. I probably would be better off just letting the ETH sit there but where's the fun in that? A part of the appeal of Crypto for me is how volatile the market is compared to the regular stock market.
Charmainekiss

Activity: 41

View Profile
September 30, 2018, 09:54:15 AM

HODLING or Holding is not always active. If I do not keep them, I can buy them cheaper 3 times. When I first went to Crypto HODL'ing was supposed to be the correct theory and how to do everything but I learned simply that hodling means you miss a lot of opportunities for profit by being greedy. Now I have methods to live. Never be afraid to cut a hole if you feel the market mentality is against you.
Mihail.B

Activity: 392
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 30, 2018, 10:18:42 AM

I adhere to this strategy. it's safe - but not profitable. I believe that trade is more promising many times, but more risky. So while I'm learning to trade - I Hold
pawanjain

Activity: 2674
Merit: 713

Nothing lasts forever

View Profile
September 30, 2018, 12:49:11 PM

Good to know the real meaning of HODL finally. Until this point I was just assuming it as Holding the coin. I also thought that it should be HOLD misspelled but then I also wondered how come everybody is using the misspelled word. Now I know why. I have been holding bitcoin since a long time, spending some on myself from time to time. It has been an amazing journey yet and I wish it continuous the same for long.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
kwakgyimah

Activity: 98

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 10:31:25 PM

Actually i dont care about the misspelling of the word HOLD TO HODL because what’s important is the perspective of individuals who uses that

And for me i am HOLDING because i trust bitcoin and some altcoins and tokens thats sitting in my portfolio,and hated those stupid account that shouting HODL but in reality knows nothing about what he’s shouting for
Exactly, am beginning to think that many are just pretenders who always dump bitcoin but come out shouting hodl. I have always wondered why many people support the HODL approach but after all these confidence, you would see many individuals who would end up dumping bitcoin and other potential coins or tokens on the various exchanges.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: