Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:13:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Coins kept in exchange, are they safe?  (Read 5649 times)
tamango

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 06:30:33 PM

If you have just very small amount of money (for example below 100$) I think you can leave on exchanges (even if it's better to withdraw to your wallet) but if you have big amount of money it's really crazy and very dangerous to leave them on exhanges..just buy an hardware wallet in these cases  Wink
Emperor of Man

Activity: 886
Merit: 510

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 07:07:34 PM

As most people here already said, it's absolutely not a good idea:

- Exchanges get hacked, and most of the times you burn when they lose crypto. Some of these hacks are even suspicious of being actually scams.

- Exchanges can steal your money, like bittrex did with a lot of sudden banned accounts with no warnings a while back.

- They can freeze your crypto from time to time because of "outage" or "maintenance" which sometimes takes too long.

- They sometimes delist a coin, and if you, for any reason, don't withdraw it soon you'll probably lose it.

And so on and so forth...

Just forget it. It ain't a good idea.
daenarys_stormborn

Activity: 756

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 07:27:29 PM

well, put your coins in exchanges also not necessarily safe, even in my opinion exchange more hacked by hacker than wallet, like Coinrail exchange which recently been successfully hacked, you better keep your coin in wallet like myetherwallet

alt-fire

Activity: 602
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2018, 07:45:44 PM

if the amount is large and coins are bought for a long time, it is better not to store on the stock exchange and transfer to a hardware purse
Samtob4

Activity: 196
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 08:04:26 PM

don't leave your coins on exchange it not safe it better to transfer it to hardware or wallet...exchange are the major target of hacker so be wise
eaglewhite80

Activity: 406
Merit: 36

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 08:07:18 PM

You are getting it wrong. What you should be afraid of is a centralized exchange having an attack or some problem which can make you lose all your funds. The fact here is that you do not have the full control of your funds and that makes it more like you have nothing at all. If you are looking for good security of your funds, then either go the cold storage way or get a hardware wallet. If you are not trading, never leave your assets on an exchange and even if you are trading, only leave what you are trading with on an exchange.
cryptofirm

Activity: 1039
Merit: 250

BabelFish - FISH Token Sale at Sovryn

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 08:09:18 PM

I feel keeping our coins in exchanges, mininize the risk of loosing our coins to wallet hackers.

if you compared to store a coin in exchange and in the wallet
i think keep your coin in the wallet is safer than in exchange my friend
or you can buy a hardware wallet because hardware wallet is the safest way to store your coins

USD Stablecoin Aggregator
                                              ▄███████
                                            ▄█▀▄█████▀
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      █▀▄███████
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄▀▀██████▄   ▄█ ███████
  ▄     ▄██▀▀▀▀█████████▄▀██████▄▄▀▀████  █████████▀
▄███▄ ▄███ █▀▀█ █████████▄█▀████████▄▄▀▀███████████
██ ▀███▀ █▄▀▀▀▀▄███ ██▀████▄▀████████▀███████████▀▀
██  ███████████████ ██ █████ ███▀▀▄▄▄██████████████
██▄██▀█████████████ ███ ███  ▄▄▄█████▀██▀▀█████████
 ▀█▀   ▀████████▀▀▄██▀ ▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀██▀▄▄██    ████████▄
         ▀█████▄█▀▀▀▄█████████▀▄▄▄███▀      ▀███████
               ▀▀▀███████████▄▄████▀          ██████▄
                                               ▀▀█████
BabelFish███████▄
▀█████▄▀█▄
 ███████▄▀█      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ███████ █▄   ▄██████▀▀▄▄████████████████▄▄
  ▀█████████  ████▀▀▄▄██████▀▄█████████▀▀▀▀██▄     ▄
   ███████████▀▀▄▄████████▀█▄█████████ █▀▀█ ███▄ ▄███▄
   ▀▀███████████▀████████▀▄████▀██ ███▄▀▀▀▀▄█ ▀███▀ ██
   ██████████████▄▄▄▀▀███ █████ ██ ███████████████  ██
   █████████▀▀██▀█████▄▄▄  ███ ███ █████████████▀██▄██
  ▄████████    ██▄▄▀██▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀ ▀██▄▀▀████████▀   ▀█▀
  ███████▀      ▀███▄▄▄▀█████████▄▀▀▀█▄█████▀
 ▄██████          ▀████▄▄████████████▀▀
█████▀▀
FISH token sale at Sovryn
████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
nobetci

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

ARIZN - Tokenised Crowdfunding Platform

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 08:17:57 PM

I feel keeping our coins in exchanges, mininize the risk of loosing our coins to wallet hackers.

I think both ways have same kind of risks. In my opinion, every trader should minimize the risks by being careful about some points about the security.

______________▂▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █►  arizn  ◄█ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂▂______________            ┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
                             A TOKENISED CROWD FUNDING PLATFORM                                         ◄   ICO: 30% BONUS   ►
FacebookTwitterYoutubeInstagramWebsiteWalletTelegramWhitepaper ●    ┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛
bridgeport

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 08:35:33 PM

For me it is not a good idea, to think that there are many incidents that a certain exchange had been hacked, others due to some regulation forcing you to withdraw all coins in given time, I think hardware wallet is most safer.
florinda0602

Activity: 350
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 10:37:52 AM

I think it's safe if you keep your funds in exchange sites for short period of time one month to couple of months.. The best option is buying a hard wallet.

Yes I think its safe keeping funds in exchanges, I tried already for months and my money is still intact and complete. But ofcourse the best is if you have your wallet, its more safer in there.
Kronos21

Activity: 434
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 10:41:44 AM

In today's world, there is no safe way to store your coins. You can only minimize the risk of losing your coins. To do this, you need to store them in different places and never store a large number of coins in one place. Personally, I have not had a single case of losing coins. But I regularly hear about the hacking of exchanges.
dorofeev
Copper Member

Activity: 79
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 10:48:40 AM

If you are suing a reputed exchange, there is no need to worry. you can split the coin in multiple exchanges to be safe.
TwisterPipister

Activity: 238

UNCLOAK™ - Cyber Threat Detection Powered by EOS™

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 10:56:31 AM

I usually keep some of my coins on exchanges, but only on good ones, my favorite is Bittrex, it's certainly not safe, but it's very convenient, I think that for the sake of this convenience it is worth risking part of your savings.

UNCLOAK™ - Cyber Threat Detection Powered by EOS™
┨PRE-SALE  : 25th MAY - 25th JUNE ▌MAIN-SALE: 26th JUNE - 03rd JULY┠
LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Telegram Medium Reddit
apolonio

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 11:02:57 AM

So far, i didnt loose any coins/tokens in my wallets and in exchanges that im holding. It depends how you keep your wallets and accounts password to be your coins/tokens be secured. For me it is good both wallets  and in exchanges you keep your coins.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     │      JINBI      │       T H E   G O L D E N   I C O     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████████                     JOIN ICO  -  21st  J U N E                     ████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄          Whitepaper       Telegram       Twitter       Reddit           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
steplaza

Activity: 175

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 11:11:12 AM

I guess it depends on the coin but I would say that for the major ones, wallet are safer than exchanges, obviosuly if you trade a big number of coins it can get quite annoying and confusing...but you should lock-in most of the profits in major cryptos (btc, eth..) and keep them in a wallet
Aggioni

Activity: 95

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 11:07:43 PM

In my opinion, the main thing is just not to keep all tokens in only one place. Even MEW can be hacked and there is a possibility to lose everything.
zap2per

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 11:23:10 PM

Definitely not my friend.
It's much riskier keeping them on the exchange then in your offline hard/paper wallet. Hackers steel a lot of coins from exchanges lately. Even the exchanges themselves can steal your money if they see fit and you can't do a single thing about it.
hall16

Activity: 112
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 12:06:08 AM

Not safe. You're not only risk losing your coins to hackers but also the exchange itself may one day suddenly closed down or disappear.
BobTrade

Activity: 462
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 12:11:26 AM

My suggestion is to never leave coins in the exchanges. They are a big storage of coins therefore a sensitive target for hackers. Put your coins, specially if large amounts, on electrum wallet (if there is) or ledger and mpve em to exchanges only when you want to trade em. In December 2017 I've lost 13 000$ worth Verge (XVG) in C-CEX echange due to (probably, they said so) external hacker attack. So be smart and don't leave coins too long into exchanges.. they are not the safest place on the planet.
BennyK

Activity: 672
Merit: 14

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2018, 12:20:04 AM

Keeping coins on exchange site is quite risky as compared to having them on wallet. Exchange sites were made practically to trade tokens, hence store tokens temporarily during the trading sessions. Exchange sites are usually upgraded or under maintenance which can result in refreshing of account especially with exchanges which are not renowned and good. Hackers can also get into exchange sites.
For better security, a hard ware wallet like the Ledger Nano S is a good choice.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  

Jump to: