Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 06:58:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »
  Print  
Author Topic: .  (Read 90042 times)
dhavin

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:17:14 AM

Well, This doesn't prove if he's or not, Every people can turn to scam,and they can be protected like you that defending him. Tell me one thing why publishers lost their funds on the website that cost more than 10 BTC.(do not say mysql error like you reading above).

P.S also I didn't blame him, Just said my opinion that I know how Mysql Works.
Clearly you don't know how it works. Else you would have known that MySQL databases can be corrupted by restarts and that Carlos' story is correct. Doesn't mean it's what really happened, but I believe him right now and doubt that he would scam for such an amount.

I mean there auto backups every day on mysql database from the server.(or if he were using a chinese server)

Do not hate me, Hate the scammers.

Cya.

There are no automatic backups. Mysql databases only backup if you set them up to backup.

Bluehost automatically backs up both system files and database files. You have access to both weekly and daily incrementals, all for usd$25/month. Oh, and a pretty nice VPS package. And guaranteed uptime.

Digital ocean does the same (except for weekly increments). Carlos forgot to enable the backups.

Yeah I was saying Bluehost does it automatically. Nothing to forget, they're just always available.

http://www.scratch4satoshis.com/ - 1600 satoshi/hour 2 MILLION SATOSHI minimum weekly lottery draw! Get your tickets submitted!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
baztardo

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 02:18:58 AM

As one of AdBit bigger publishers I just wanted to add my support for Carlos. AdBit is a great system and we need to get it back online asap.
I'm losing quite a bit of money with site being down at the moment - so if there's anything I can do to help get it back online then let me know.
That is the main priority for now.
Once that is done and everything gets back to normal then is the time to talk about improved backup plans, regular backup verification, redundancy, better hosting etc. I'm sure there are plenty of people on these forums that will be happy to help out with advice etc on those if you need it. As a few people have said AdBit is now big and important enough to quite a few people that these things need to be taken more seriously.

Mellow Ads - Simple, bitcoin advertising
Get your advert seen by a huge audience - we served over 6.7 billion ad impressions in the last 30 days!
mellowads.com | support@mellowads.com
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 02:19:14 AM

This is so fishy, and smell like a scam.. But what ever Ive lost 0.03 but I dont care, If the owner or an admin with a website feels good that scamming people then its ok like that. Best wishes in your real life and care.

Regards,
Jollem.

I clearly doubt that Carlos would scam for 10 BTC. He can get much more just from selling the site. Btw he is extremely legit member of this forum and you can't just blame him like that.

Well, uh, sure you can. He implemented a system without making sure that critical components were backed up. Part of that comes from the decision to use a cheap hosting provider and well, you get what you pay for. If he was working in IT for the company I work for, he'd be fired.

Cheap company? Digital ocean is one of the best companies I have used.

I'm sure they're "fine" but they don't make the top ten list in any 2014 reviews I've found. The argument is, if I were running a site where btc changes hands, then I'd put some time into researching the best VPS hosting provider and go with one of the top three. The cost of top tier hosting is pretty insignificant compared to the site earnings and my personal reputation as a programmer and service provider. But, everyone makes their own decisions.

Most people/programmers I know use DO, or Linode.

HotSwap

Activity: 806

COINMIXER.NET

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:29:55 AM

As one of AdBit bigger publishers I just wanted to add my support for Carlos. AdBit is a great system and we need to get it back online asap.
I'm losing quite a bit of money with site being down at the moment - so if there's anything I can do to help get it back online then let me know.
That is the main priority for now.
Once that is done and everything gets back to normal then is the time to talk about improved backup plans, regular backup verification, redundancy, better hosting etc. I'm sure there are plenty of people on these forums that will be happy to help out with advice etc on those if you need it. As a few people have said AdBit is now big and important enough to quite a few people that these things need to be taken more seriously.

+1

High Volume, Secure Bitcoin Mixer: https://CoinMixer.net
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4612

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:23:02 AM

first - no scam here.. carlos have some reputation here and if anyone thinks this is a scam he clearly doesnt know the map..

i wish you can solve it somehow carlos (as i have some btc in adbit.co too now missing) but what i am a bit dissapointed is that lately there were a lot of short (few hours max) disruptions in adbitco service happening. with that in mind you should probably act more adequate way. nevermind tho, stay calm and try to fix as much as possible.. cheers and good luck

I've never known Carlos to be a scammer.

On the other hand, I've never been impressed with his competence in creating a reliable bitcoin based system either:

I run CoinAd.
How should I proceed?

If you are going to try to run a business, you need to make sure you know what you are doing.  Your business is responsible for its actions.  Ignorance is not a mitigating excuse.

Coinbase did not intentionally send out transactions that were likely to never confirm, but they recognized that it was their responsibility to make sure that their customers got paid.  So they offered a bounty for the confirmation of your mistake, and they fixed their program so they wouldn't use unconfirmed inputs in transactions again.

I see that the coinad.com website is till up and running.  Have you fixed your process to ensure that you don't send large transactions with small fees yet?  Have you fixed your process to ensure that you don't double spend any inputs again?
HotSwap

Activity: 806

COINMIXER.NET

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:51:07 AM

This is so fishy, and smell like a scam.. But what ever Ive lost 0.03 but I dont care, If the owner or an admin with a website feels good that scamming people then its ok like that. Best wishes in your real life and care.

Regards,
Jollem.

I clearly doubt that Carlos would scam for 10 BTC. He can get much more just from selling the site. Btw he is extremely legit member of this forum and you can't just blame him like that.

Well, uh, sure you can. He implemented a system without making sure that critical components were backed up. Part of that comes from the decision to use a cheap hosting provider and well, you get what you pay for. If he was working in IT for the company I work for, he'd be fired.

I'm sure they're "fine" but they don't make the top ten list in any 2014 reviews I've found. The argument is, if I were running a site where btc changes hands, then I'd put some time into researching the best VPS hosting provider and go with one of the top three. The cost of top tier hosting is pretty insignificant compared to the site earnings and my personal reputation as a programmer and service provider. But, everyone makes their own decisions.

Most people/programmers I know use DO, or Linode.

I agree, i use Linode.

High Volume, Secure Bitcoin Mixer: https://CoinMixer.net
freebitcoins4u

Activity: 798

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:24:13 AM

no more adbit co  for us Angry  Huh
SelbyTsang

Activity: 577
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 09:32:41 AM

Carlos you make a good job with AdBit, you can use that 10 BTC for start a new site, advertise it and buy server/hardware backup/change hosting.

Use that 10 BTC for start a better site. Is better a site with 1% fees but really popular and with a lot of advertisers. Use that money for start a biggest site.

Look quote Carlos.

So you are suggesting Carlos to not refund the advertisers and publishers, but to spend the 10 btc on a new site?
Not really a good idea IMO...

Scorr

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 12:41:14 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2014, 12:53:41 PM by Scorr

Return the money to the advertisers, you need to restart everything from 0

understand the publishers, who wants to remain, remains.

But hurry. Thanks

You need to give priority to advertisers.

Not to lose credibility to your website, quickly return all the money to advertisers.
minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 12:51:13 PM

But hurry. Thanks

I'd say that's the best idea. Just send back all the BTC and start again. You'll probably lose some publishers, but it's better than the site being down.
Scorr

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 12:57:26 PM

But hurry. Thanks

I'd say that's the best idea. Just send back all the BTC and start again. You'll probably lose some publishers, but it's better than the site being down.

must not lose advertisers, the most important thing.
dhavin

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:45:28 PM

first - no scam here.. carlos have some reputation here and if anyone thinks this is a scam he clearly doesnt know the map..

i wish you can solve it somehow carlos (as i have some btc in adbit.co too now missing) but what i am a bit dissapointed is that lately there were a lot of short (few hours max) disruptions in adbitco service happening. with that in mind you should probably act more adequate way. nevermind tho, stay calm and try to fix as much as possible.. cheers and good luck

I've never known Carlos to be a scammer.

On the other hand, I've never been impressed with his competence in creating a reliable bitcoin based system either:

I run CoinAd.
How should I proceed?

If you are going to try to run a business, you need to make sure you know what you are doing.  Your business is responsible for its actions.  Ignorance is not a mitigating excuse.

Coinbase did not intentionally send out transactions that were likely to never confirm, but they recognized that it was their responsibility to make sure that their customers got paid.  So they offered a bounty for the confirmation of your mistake, and they fixed their program so they wouldn't use unconfirmed inputs in transactions again.

I see that the coinad.com website is till up and running.  Have you fixed your process to ensure that you don't send large transactions with small fees yet?  Have you fixed your process to ensure that you don't double spend any inputs again?

Hits the nail on the head. Even if he brings back adbit.co, how can anyone be sure that this isn't just the first of many errors to come? Sloppy development like this is what is KILLING interest in bitcoin. People think it's a bunch of kids fresh out of college who think they know what a development cycle is based off of their last semester deliverable instead of real world experience.. and they'd probably be largely right.

On the topic of hosting providers, it's not a question of how many people "on the scene" use these providers it's how many companies do you know that use the providers. While everyone can make bad decisions, companies have to answer to a president or CEO or board of directors and have many people make the decision. That is why linode and DO aren't top ten and why anyone hosting a financial website shouldn't be looking at a provider unless most of their business is from other businesses.

http://www.scratch4satoshis.com/ - 1600 satoshi/hour 2 MILLION SATOSHI minimum weekly lottery draw! Get your tickets submitted!
dhavin

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:51:07 PM

But hurry. Thanks

Not to lose credibility to your website, quickly return all the money to advertisers.

I'm a publisher and advertiser. Carlos is holding my btc and has no way to figure out how to give it back, through his own fault. When it comes right down to it, it's my own fault for actually sending btc to a site that had no method of contact or other indicators that it was operated by someone who was reputable. Do I think that Carlos did all of his intentionally? No, I don't and I do feel bad. It's a learning experience I don't wish on anyone. But if his resume floats across my desk, I can guarantee you it's going directly into the trash can. Anyone who continues to invest in anything run by him should operate as if they're investing in high risk stock. Don't send more than you can afford to lose, because lose it you very well may.

teamfresh

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:54:23 PM

Don't give up. You'll find the way to fix this and you'll keep your site running. I've always liked your site and it worked pretty well for most of the time so I don't have worries about you fixing everything. Just don't let the pressure get to you and you'll find solution to everything.
Just my support for Carlos in his situation.

First and fullmost I would like to state that I am/was a publisher for adbit.co [ https://easybitco.in ] and I fully support Carlos in this situation.
Therefore I am happy to write off any funds that were owed to me. Also if carlos decides to bring back the adbit.co platform I will publish ads again.

Regards,
Jollem.

Although I do support Carlos in this situation I must admit cheap hosting has not much to do with this and that running such a site and not ensuring that regular off site database back ups to multiple locations are being made is fool hardy indeed.
However everyone makes mistakes, and as long as Carlos learns from this and implements the correct solution going forward, I would be happy to continue as an adbit.co publisher.

Although some companies offer services that might mitigate this type of problem, what ever company is ultimately used is irrelevant.
the admin should be capable to make regular off site database back ups to multiple locations.

My advice to you Carlos is to try again and implement the correct solution for back ups. To give up now after this mistake would truly make it a waste of all of our time and money.
If however you learn from it and implement the correct solution going forward then it may have just been worth it.
blacklizard

Activity: 139
Merit: 103

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:22:31 PM

Quote from the notice on the website
Unfortunately, a recent backup of the database was not made prior to the incident, and since the website was quite active even a 2 day old backup is useless.

One would think a two day old backup would be more satisfying and bear less disappointment and loss to advertisers and publishers than going offline. Perhaps it would also receive more understanding for the situation than simply going offline.
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 04:23:20 PM

Unfortunately, a recent backup of the database was not made prior to the incident, and since the website was quite active even a 2 day old backup is useless.

One would think a two day old backup would be more satisfying and bear less disappointment and loss to advertisers and publishers than going offline. Perhaps it would also receive more understanding for the situation than simply going offline.

If you read the full thread, you would know the backup is more than 20 days old.

JohnFromWIT

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:55:39 PM

If you read the full thread, you would know the backup is more than 20 days old.

Starts around here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=449010.400
And there's also this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=743329.0

Scorr

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:17:02 PM

Best thing, to deliver all the bitcoin advertisers and start from 0

let's move on, we're wasting too much time.

Another important thing, you have to get a server not a vps.
antiycda

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 10:51:20 PM

it's gone?

Micio
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1283

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 11:03:25 PM

Carlos you make a good job with AdBit, you can use that 10 BTC for start a new site, advertise it and buy server/hardware backup/change hosting.

Use that 10 BTC for start a better site. Is better a site with 1% fees but really popular and with a lot of advertisers. Use that money for start a biggest site.

Look quote Carlos.

Look quote, Carlos.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »
  Print  

Jump to: