Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 02:13:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Beginner Hobby Miner w/ Jalapeno  (Read 4685 times)
j3steven (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:19:02 AM
Last edit: February 05, 2014, 01:42:10 AM by j3steven

Hi all....please don't bash your head into your desk because this is another "im new to mining, should i do this to make $" thread.  Well, it kind of is.. Tongue

I'm looking to get into mining bitcoin for fun, and any profit would only be a side bonus.  My goal right now is to do mining to make a bitcoin or two down the road, to hold on to them and hope that the price of BTC increases in the years to come.

Now I've done some research by surfing the good ol WWW, especially these forums, and understand the difficulty is trending on only increasing and mining for profit can be expensive if someone is serious....... but I figured I'd throw my scenario out to you guys/gals and see what your thoughts are.

I saw a few Butterfly Labs Jalapeno boxes on eBay that say they can mine at 10-12 GH/s for around $350 +shipping.  From what I've read, these are simple boxes you just plug into a PC and start mining (Im sure with a little set up).  If I'm wrong with that, please let me know.  If it's that simple I was going to click Buy and plug n play with it.  The PC I'll be using is a very standard home PC, Windows 7, nothing exciting about it.  The positive is that I will be running this machine where I do not have to pay for electricity.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you!  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gopher09

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:42:46 AM

What are my thoughts ?
You will never make 350$ back with jalepeno , and stealing electricity from a business , and or taxpayers in the case you work for the government just makes you a fucking scumbag.
Even if you work for a bank , who is in fact the man, your still a scumbag for stealing.

Hi all....please don't bash your head into your desk because this is another "im new to mining, should i do this to make $" thread.  Well, it kind of is.. Tongue

I'm looking to get into mining bitcoin for fun, and any profit would only be a side bonus.  My goal right now is to do mining to make a bitcoin or two down the road, to hold on to them and hope that the price of BTC increases in the years to come.

Now I've done some research by surfing the good ol WWW, especially these forums, and understand the difficulty is trending on only increasing and mining for profit can be expensive if someone is serious....... but I figured I'd throw my scenario out to you guys/gals and see what your thoughts are.

I saw a few Butterfly Labs Jalapeno boxes on eBay that say they can mine at 10-12 GH/s for around $350 +shipping.  From what I've read, these are simple boxes you just plug into a PC and start mining (Im sure with a little set up).  If I'm wrong with that, please let me know.  If it's that simple I was going to click Buy and plug n play with it.  The PC I'll be using is a very standard home PC, Windows 7, nothing exciting about it.  The positive is that I will be running this machine where I do not have to pay for electricity.  No it's not my parents house, it's my office, I figured it's another way I can stick it to the man.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you!  Grin
diatonic

Activity: 271
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:45:00 AM

What are my thoughts ?
You will never make 350$ back with jalepeno , and stealing electricity from a business , and or taxpayers in the case you work for the government just makes you a fucking scumbag.
Even if you work for a bank , who is in fact the man, your still a scumbag for stealing.

Wow, some people here are real assholes.

#bitcoin-otc ratings: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=diatonic | Tips: 1DiATonicgGnUcsH6NpSuCEDwRRW3wecgs
j3steven (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:57:54 AM

Sorry for any ill-will there guys, geze.   I dont work for any government related institution.

Again....I want to do this for the sake of fun.  Even if it takes me 6 months to mine 1 whole BTC.  I figure instead of spending that much on a new toy like a PS4 or XboxOne, buy one of these to play with and down the road it could pay itself off.  Im talking....mine 1 whole BTC or a partial one, and in a year or two the price of a BTC doubles.  All hypothetical thinking, again...for fun.

Jothand

Activity: 16

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:34:16 AM

What are my thoughts ?

Ain't that the truth. Gopher09 has no idea who OP is or what OPs personal situation is.

OP, if you want to buy the jalapeno, and you can afford to spend the money, my opinion is to do it. Buy it, plug it in, watch it chug away. You seem like you want to get into mining and I think you should. Get into it. Get your feet wet and have fun. Learn all you can about mining and the bitcoin network. Earn some bitcoin and then spend it. Give it away. Buy some, sell some, save some, get active in the bitcoin community. Talk to your friends about it. Talk to your family about it. Spread the word. Get others interested in bitcoin. Just don't expect to get rich mining, it won't happen. Unless you plan on going balls deep and even then it's a risky move.

I see so many people on this forum telling people not to get into mining because it's not worth it anymore. I call bullsh!t on that. Miners secure the network, even the little guys like us. We contribute.

LAMarcellus

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:39:32 AM

"The positive is that I will be running this machine where I do not have to pay for electricity.  No it's not my parents house, it's my office, I figured it's another way I can stick it to the man."

If you work for a private company then this is stealing.
If you work for the U.S. government then.... well played.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. – Albert Camus
j3steven (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:45:48 AM

Thank you for the updates.  The electric part is a little more detailed that what it looks on the surface so I edited it from my original post, in the end it's not stealing.  Too much to type to explain and that's not the part I was hoping to focus on.

I am definitely a fan of Bitcoins, I think its really interesting, even though I understand how late I am in the game at this point.  If I dont get the Jalapeno I am definitely going to invest in some BTC and just buy them.

Do you think it'd be feasible to mine a whole BTC within a few months using such a simple set up like that?

Gopher09

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:46:48 AM

Are you actually defending him stealing? Wow, as if his circumstance might somehow make it ok to steal??
You are also a scumbag.

What are my thoughts ?

Ain't that the truth. Gopher09 has no idea who OP is or what OPs personal situation is.

OP, if you want to buy the jalapeno, and you can afford to spend the money, my opinion is to do it. Buy it, plug it in, watch it chug away. You seem like you want to get into mining and I think you should. Get into it. Get your feet wet and have fun. Learn all you can about mining and the bitcoin network. Earn some bitcoin and then spend it. Give it away. Buy some, sell some, save some, get active in the bitcoin community. Talk to your friends about it. Talk to your family about it. Spread the word. Get others interested in bitcoin. Just don't expect to get rich mining, it won't happen. Unless you plan on going balls deep and even then it's a risky move.

I see so many people on this forum telling people not to get into mining because it's not worth it anymore. I call bullsh!t on that. Miners secure the network, even the little guys like us. We contribute.

krodmandoon

Activity: 434
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:49:13 AM

It's stealing no matter how you slice it. Banks have been doing it for years, corporations thrive on shorting the little guy on damn near everything and the govt has had it's hands in our pockets legally ever since the 16th amendment was passed.

Do it. It's fun and the worst case scenario is you end up not making any money and you are out $350 that won't even be worth $350 in two years.

krodmandoon

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:50:53 AM

Are you actually defending him stealing? Wow, as if his circumstance might somehow make it ok to steal??
You are also a scumbag.

What are my thoughts ?

GOPHuck your self brah. Not your place to judge, what if he owns the office?

j3steven (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:52:47 AM

It's stealing no matter how you slice it. Banks have been doing it for years, corporations thrive on shorting the little guy on damn near everything and the govt has had it's hands in our pockets legally ever since the 16th amendment was passed.

Do it. It's fun and the worst case scenario is you end up not making any money and you are out $350 that won't even be worth $350 in two years.

Let's just say the difficulty levels back down, what sort of results could be assumed that a simple machine makes?  Again....rough guess, Im not searching for hopes and dreams of getting rich quick.
I tried to use a BTC Calculator and felt like an idiot...

Gopher09

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:55:17 AM
Last edit: February 05, 2014, 02:24:33 AM by Gopher09

Let's just say the difficulty levels back down, what sort of results could be assumed that a simple machine makes?  Again....rough guess, Im not searching for hopes and dreams of getting rich quick.

Id say when the difficulty drops you could realistically make 10 to 15 bitcoins in that time really depends on the reset in difficulty
Jothand

Activity: 16

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:58:07 AM

You are also a scumbag.

I'm defending him, I'm not defending stealing. Big difference. What I was said is that you don't know his situation. You don't know that he is stealing electricity. It was quite obvious that his "sticking it to the man" quote was a joke.

Call me what you want, I'm not going to get into a flame war with you. You're nobody to me and I personally don't care what your opinion of me is. You're off topic. He wanted advice about buying a jalapeno. He wasn't asking if you thought he was a scumbag.

OP, there are mining calculators on the internet. You've probably used them already. It'll take you a very long time to get a bitcoin by mining with a jalapeno but don't worry about that. If you want to do it, and you can afford it, just do it.
krodmandoon

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:59:37 AM

We could say that but they won't. At 8gh/s you could expect an hourly return  ~70uBTC per hour (right now) I'm sure someone could chime in with more exact figures. The only way to really figure what you make is to just go for it.

j3steven (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:09:45 AM

So i ran a quick calculation and it looks like that setup would return approx. 0.0023 BTC/day.....woot!  Its like i would have a machine to automatically run BTC faucets for me lol.  Whatever, sounds like pennies to some people, sounds interesting to me.

This could be a baby step into further investing into btc mining if i like it and understand it

Gopher09

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:11:43 AM
Last edit: February 05, 2014, 02:22:54 AM by Gopher09

So i ran a quick calculation and it looks like that setup would return approx. 0.0023 BTC/day.....woot!  Its like i would have a machine to automatically run BTC faucets for me lol.  Whatever, sounds like pennies to some people, sounds interesting to me.

This could be a baby step into further investing into btc mining if i like it and understand it

Dude buy it ! Make bitcoins ! That is a GREAT deal buddy.
Gopher09

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:16:37 AM

Another newbie mining question.  

Is there a meaningful difference solo mining from a windows wallet vs. using setting up CGminer?  I've found tutorials on how to solo mine but none which go into detail about why it's important to set up CGminer.  Does hash rate improve dramatically?

Yes solo mine.
Definantly buy it for $350 that's a great deal.
And solo mine from a wallet.
The best thing about solo is when u solve a block you get all 25 bitcoins contained and don't have to share with a pool

j3steven (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:24:58 AM

Is there a meaningful difference solo mining from a windows wallet vs. using setting up CGminer?  I've found tutorials on how to solo mine but none which go into detail about why it's important to set up CGminer.  Does hash rate improve dramatically?

Yes solo mine.

I think you are mixing laserfocus's question and mine together.  You also edited your last comment I am quoting....you said with a 8 gh jaly it would take 2,300+ years to mine a whole block.  Again, i think you are mixing two questions together.

Gopher09

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:27:12 AM

Bro the jaly is totsly worth it I was thinking of a 33mhz USB miner .. Bit fury not jally my bad lol
krodmandoon

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:32:11 AM

Yes solo mine.

I think you are mixing laserfocus's question and mine together.  You also edited your last comment I am quoting....you said with a 8 gh jaly it would take 2,300+ years to mine a whole block.  Again, i think you are mixing two questions together.

He's not mixing anything up. He's just a douche prolly mining douchecoin on his laptop cpu. If you were to solomine you may never see a return especially when you take into account the ever increasing speed of the hardware out there. Contribute to a pool and you'll see a return, not much but you'll get a return. Also, if you ignore the gopher by clicking ignore near his avatar, you'll never have to bother with his useless contributions again.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: